Attention spammers

E

Excelsior Club
Effective immediately, all new registrations are subject to moderation.

That is, no new registrant will be able to post until their account is approved.

Sorry for the inconvenience, non-spammers, but it has to be this way. It is temporary.

Dr_Draco

There was a spammer and I missed it? :cry:

Anyhow, keep fightin' the good fight, E. No one wants bots or spammers 'round here. 8)

Friday

Damnit, now my plan to creat three new accounts, fake them hating eachother, then kill one in a car accident is foiled! Curse you E!

Caduceus

The Original Muffins Man
Just a note for anyone trying to get registered and failing (because at the moment, it looks to me like there are 10 people waiting), because vBulletin is weird, E is the only person currently able to approve users. We can do the rest, but not that. So its taking a little while.

Be strong children.

compound

I just noticed a new user named "adultfilmz" signing up. I assure you that this is most definitely NOT one of Ourchair's, um, "professional associates".

MoS

E, why do you think this is only going to be temporary? Do you see some effective countermeasure or expect to see a decrease in registration attempts?

E

Excelsior Club
E, why do you think this is only going to be temporary? Do you see some effective countermeasure or expect to see a decrease in registration attempts?

Because it has to do with a problem with registration right now, which is related to why topic reply notification emails aren't working. The problem lies with the host of the site. I will be moving the site to a new host in the near future, and one of the conditions will be making sure this doesn't happen again.

MoS

Because it has to do with a problem with registration right now, which is related to why topic reply notification emails aren't working. The problem lies with the host of the site. I will be moving the site to a new host in the near future, and one of the conditions will be making sure this doesn't happen again.

Ah, I see. One of the other websites I'm part of the admin crew for is considering permanently going to this scheme, as the sophistication level of the spammers increases. They went to the optical character verification scheme (aka: "guess what these letters are in the box") in addition to email verification, which worked for 6 months or so, but now the problems back to being as bad as ever.

The current trick is to put new posters on posting mod for their first 2 posts, or for a couple of days. That seemed to work pretty well. It's a headache for the mods, but it made the boards a lot cleaner.

E

Excelsior Club
Ah, I see. One of the other websites I'm part of the admin crew for is considering permanently going to this scheme, as the sophistication level of the spammers increases. They went to the optical character verification scheme (aka: "guess what these letters are in the box") in addition to email verification, which worked for 6 months or so, but now the problems back to being as bad as ever.

The current trick is to put new posters on posting mod for their first 2 posts, or for a couple of days. That seemed to work pretty well. It's a headache for the mods, but it made the boards a lot cleaner.

That's another option I've been seriously considering, and will likely move to something like that once I'm able to completely straighten it out. I'm anticipating the addition of at least a couple more mods in order to be able to do that.

The email account verification worked pretty well, but with email notifications not working, legitimate registrants are getting locked out. I can see with bigger boards how this could become obsolete.

Ultimate Houde

UC's Resident Genetic Recombinator
That's another option I've been seriously considering, and will likely move to something like that once I'm able to completely straighten it out. I'm anticipating the addition of at least a couple more mods in order to be able to do that.

NOT IT!

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
At least we don't get them as much as MySpace whores. Ugh. How many of those things am I gonna have to delete a day? :roll:

How much you wanna bet that this new member posts in the "UFF: Ellis or Millar" thread? :lol:

Latest posts