DC Extended Universe / DC Universe - Timeline

The opening scene was released. It begins with a voice-over by Diana. I'm wondering who she's speaking to in-universe and what time period she's in?

Hello! There's a tie-in prequel comic for Wonder Woman 1984 named Museum Mayhem:

https://www.dccomics.com/comics/won...market-2020/wonder-woman-1984-direct-market-1

There are two stories in the comics, only the first one is canon for the DCEU!

Hello! There's a tie-in prequel comic for Wonder Woman 1984 named Museum Mayhem:

https://www.dccomics.com/comics/won...market-2020/wonder-woman-1984-direct-market-1

There are two stories in the comics, only the first one is canon for the DCEU!
On a hiatus until January right now.

So if this film is 100% set in 1984, with no scenes set in the present, and the voiceover being Diana in '84 speaking to someone in the same year, this film is now chronologically the first film in the main DCEU. This creates some story flow issues because in a chronological watch-through, you would watch WW84 > BVS > Wonder Woman. A newcomer's first introduction to WW would be this film, and you wouldn't get her backstory until the first produced film. It just creates an issue from a story perspective, so I'm really hoping that the voice over can be interpreted as being Diana telling someone in the present day the story of her in 84. That would be all that's needed to fix this potential concern I have with this film.

So if this film is 100% set in 1984, with no scenes set in the present, and the voiceover being Diana in '84 speaking to someone in the same year, this film is now chronologically the first film in the main DCEU. This creates some story flow issues because in a chronological watch-through, you would watch WW84 > BVS > Wonder Woman. A newcomer's first introduction to WW would be this film, and you wouldn't get her backstory until the first produced film. It just creates an issue from a story perspective, so I'm really hoping that the voice over can be interpreted as being Diana telling someone in the present day the story of her in 84. That would be all that's needed to fix this potential concern I have with this film.
The same issue crops up in the Marvel Cinematic Universe regarding Captain America: The First Avenger, Marvel One-Shot: Agent Carter, Agent Carter and Captain Marvel.

Thankfully, these are small enough scenes that I can interpret them more as teasers for future content.

The modern day scenes of Wonder Woman are vague enough that they don't spoil any media. You don't need to know Bruce Wayne is giving Diana a photograph. A newcomer can watch it as:
Wonder Woman
Wonder Woman 1984
Man of Steel
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice: Ultimate Edition
Suicide Squad: Extended Cut
Zack Snyder's Justice League
Aquaman
Shazam!
Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)

Alternatively, they can watch it as:
Man of Steel
Wonder Woman
Wonder Woman 1984
Aquaman
Shazam!

Neither is perfect, but it works fine enough.

Im exactly the same way!!
Question for you guys:

Would you watch Captain America: The Winter Soldier after Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 1x17-1x22 because the after credits scene takes place later in the timeline, therefore spoiling the HYDRA twist?

What about Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2? That film takes place in 2014 in it's entirety, except for the teenage Groot?

Question for you guys:

Would you watch Captain America: The Winter Soldier after Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 1x17-1x22 because the after credits scene takes place later in the timeline, therefore spoiling the HYDRA twist?

What about Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2? That film takes place in 2014 in it's entirety, except for the teenage Groot?
Yes and yes. I have rules that I go by. For instance, if The Snyder Cut spans 5 years, it will be placed in 2022, as it chronologically ends in that year, despite taking place mostly in 2017.

OK I'm hearing that there is no voiceover in the film, placing it entirely in 1984. If true, this makes my head hurt.

• Haha
Reactions: Dok
Why don't you watch only the past sequences from Wonder Woman in the beginning, then once you watched BvS, only the present scenes?
It would be weird but it can help I guess. :oops:

Why don't you watch only the past sequences from Wonder Woman in the beginning, then once you watched BvS, only the present scenes?
It would be weird but it can help I guess. :oops:
Because that's not how the films are designed to be watched.

Reactions: Dok
Sure, but it's litterally 4 minutes of the movie in the present. :oops:

I guess you can watch the two Wonder Woman movies as prequels after her Batman v Superman appearances (as Pro Bot's second viewing order), unfortunately (for you) there is no sequences in the present in Wonder Woman 1984!

Movies aren't designed to be watched after their sequel, either...

So, what if only a single second of a film was set in the future, say 2030. Would you, then, have to watch it after everything else?

With your own ZSJL logic, Batman v Superman has a scene set in 2022. Doesn't that mean your order is:
Wonder Woman 1984
Man of Steel
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
Shazam!

Why not have the rule "place at the furthest it is in the timeline unless it breaks the narrative"? It's essentially the same thing without any of the drawbacks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back