DLC/Expansions: Worth it or not?

wyokid

Batman - Arkham Knight

That's disgusting. Paid DLC is the bane of video games and will be part of its downfall. Greedy corporations charging you more just for content that should already be in the game. Absolutely disgusting.

Last edited:
Batman - Arkham Knight

That's disgusting. Paid DLC is the bane of video games and will be part of its downfall. Greedy corporations charging you more just for content that should already be in the game. Absolutely disgusting.

Cable companies have been doing it for decades. ;)

But I do agree with your sentiment. It is quite over the top in terms of price. IF (and that's a BIG "if") the amount of content the Season Pass delivers is worthwhile and plentiful, it's forgivable. However, I doubt that'll be the case.

Batgirl - A Matter of Family, The Season of Infamy, and Gotham City Stories single player stuff will likely add about 6-8 hours of content to the single player campaign. And I guarantee those individually will cost probably in the range of $8-10 each, while the challenge map and Batmobile tracks will probably be in the $3-5 range per pack, individually.

I'll just pick up the single player stuff and the challenge maps/Batmobile tracks/alternate costumes that I really want. At the very least I'll end up saving myself a good $10-15.

I do like DLC when it's done right. And I will say this: that Batgirl costume looks amazing.

Also, timeline wise, the Batgirl - A Matter of Family prequel DLC must take place sometime in the five year span between Arkham Origins and Arkham Asylum. Barbara (before she became Batgirl) appears in Origins, and chronologically her next appearance is in Arkham Asylum (after she's already been paralyzed by the Joker and become Oracle).

It's possible they'll take the whole "healed paralysis" thing the New 52 did and it's set somehow after Arkham City and before Arkham Knight (hence the prequel description), but I doubt it. The prequel in terms of it occurring a good 3-6 years before Arkham Knight is likelier.

Last edited:
Re: Batman - Arkham Knight

And all of that should already be IN the game. They clearly have more content, delay the game and put it in the disk or make it free. I'm paying for a completed game, not for a company to half ass it and then charge me more for content that should already be in the game at the start. They're being greedy mother****ers because they know that the sheeple will bend over and take it. The only good DLC is free DLC because that shows they actually give a **** about their customers. If I sound angry it's because I am.

Last edited:

And all of that should already be IN the game. They clearly have more content, delay the game and put it in the disk or make it free. I'm paying for a completed game, not for a company to half ass it and then charge me more for content that should already be in the game at the start. They're being greedy mother****ers because they know that the sheeple will bend over and take it. The only good DLC is free DLC because that shows they actually give a **** about their customers. If I sound angry it's because I am.

That's a huge oversimplification and one I often hear people use to rag on DLC. Also, resorting to calling people "sheeple" for supporting a game series they enjoy is ironically simplistic and a reactionary approach (sort of like a sheep ;) ).

Do I disagree with your position? No.

But lets be realistic here. 90% of AAA video games receive DLC that costs money on top of the original game.

Something I don't get is why people liken DLC to material thats cut from the original game. Has that happened beforehand? Sure. But thats VERY rarely the case. They begin planning and working on this stuff years ahead of time. They plan the DLC as DLC, and focus on the main game first, complete it, and then focus on creating DLC. Its not like they're just cutting sections of the game to add as DLC (though some games have done so in the past, and that'll be obvious if the content is already on the disc and just locked behind a paywall). If its the latter case, you're absolutely right.

But we don't know that, and I doubt that'll be the case.

Ultimately, DLC is just smaller sized expansion packs. I don't remember people flipping out and saying expansion packs should've been part of the original game back in the 1980's and 1990's of PC gaming. Whats the difference with DLC, other than that its digital and not usually sold in disc form?

I like DLC because it extends the life of the game you buy. You buy it, spend a few weeks playing and beating the core game, then move onto something else. A month or two down the road new content for the game comes out in the form of DLC, and you get to come back to the game, see the story expand, etc. I like that aspect of DLC.

I agree sometimes its done in extremely suspect manners (like existing content locked on disc, which shows it was intended as part of the original game), and in that manner anger is warranted.

But here? Not really. Just don't buy it. If you feel like you're missing out on something then do buy it. Choice is yours. I'm not buying the Season Pass. I'll just pick up what appeals to be (the single player campaign DLC).

Now, that said, an example of DLC done right is Mario Kart's DLC for the Wii U. They've released a HUGE amount of new content (tracks, karts, higher CC difficulty, etc) at cheap prices (or free) that actually does expand the core game in a worthwhile manner, and manages to seem not tacked on while also not seeming like it necessarily should've been a part of the core game.

Point is, DLC can be done right for both the companies and customers, its just a fine balancing act in terms of production cost, development time of that DLC, and pricing.

There's just certain game series I love that I'll always buy DLC for: Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and the Batman - Arkham series (I know this is Rocksteady's last Arkham game but its a guarantee WB Montreal will continue the franchise afterwards, building on their experience with the Origins engine and using an upgraded version for the next gen consoles--likely built on what Rocksteady did for Arkham Knight).

Last edited:

Oh you mean the Origins DLC I paid for and didn't get? That alone justifies not making DLC for me. Make a sequel if you have ideas. There should be no reason to pay more than once for any game. It's also up to the developer to extend the life of the game with replay value. Madworld takes five hours to beat but due to how much stuff you can do it has infinite replay value. No DLC either. The fact that there is a list of what DLC is coming tells me they cut content out to make you pay more. Disgusting. I'm not even buying this game anyway.

Last edited:

Oh you mean the Origins DLC I paid for and didn't get?

What DLC was that? I got all the DLC I paid for.

That alone justifies not making DLC for me. Make a sequel if you have ideas. There should be no reason to pay more than once for any game.

Sequels and DLC/expansions are separate things. Sequels often have improved UI, gameplay features not in the original, better graphics/game engine, etc.

The whole point of an expansion or DLC is to build on the existing framework to extend the storyline and gameplay.

The whole point of a sequel is to expand of the storyline and gameplay of the previous game(s) but usually built on an improved game engine.

Two separate approaches.

You take these "all or nothing" stance's far too often.

It's also up to the developer to extend the life of the game with replay value. Madworld takes five hours to beat but due to how much stuff you can do it has infinite replay value.

That's great. Not every game is built on randomly generated levels/interactions like that. In fact, a game like the Arkham games doesn't really lend itself to that approach.

No DLC either.

To be fair, many Wii games had no DLC. Especially the lesser known titles like Madworld (especially titles that sold relatively low amounts like Madworld did compared to other exclusive Wii titles like the Mario Kart games).

Madworld's lack of DLC was more due to lack of interest than the developers being against developing DLC.

The fact that there is a list of what DLC is coming tells me they cut content out to make you pay more. Disgusting. I'm not even buying this game anyway.

That's another huge leap in logic without any grounding in facts. The fact they planned ahead of time to add this DLC doesn't at all mean it was cut from the core game. IF, when the game is released, that content is on the disc, then yes, you're right.

As of now, you're just overreacting based on a presumption.

This is what I mean by hyperbole.

I bought the season pass and then got an email telling me that the DLC for Wii U was cancelled. I got to keep the day one (don't even get me started on day one DLC) and got refunded. Luckily the game was crap so I'm not too upset.

And I'm saying expansions SHOULD NOT EXIST. What are you not getting?

Arkham has great replay! It encourages you to replay levels to find all the hidden items after beating the game.

My point was that it held up perfectly fine on its own without DLC because the developers took time making a non-****ty completed game.

Nope. They can delay the game and put it on the disk. You can bend over to your coporate overlords if you want, I get laid enough already.

I bought the season pass and then got an email telling me that the DLC for Wii U was cancelled. I got to keep the day one (don't even get me started on day one DLC) and got refunded. Luckily the game was crap so I'm not too upset.

That's fair. I'd be pissed too. But considering a lot of developers are shortsighted about the Wii U regarding not releasing DLC for it, including Ubisoft and EA, or even games themselves. As you said you got your refund, so your claim of:

Oh you mean the Origins DLC I paid for and didn't get?

...isn't the whole story. You were refunded, and I'm not defending the decision to pull DLC support for the console, it was a dick move on their part.

And I'm saying expansions SHOULD NOT EXIST. What are you not getting?

Up until now, you were only saying DLC shouldn't exist. If Expansions shouldn't exist there'd be no StarCraft - Brood War, no Dragon Age - Origins: Awakening, Red Dead Redemption - Undead Nightmare, and literally dozens of other fantastic expansions or DLC.

This is more of that "all or nothing" approach I was talking about. Its unrealistic.

Given the cost of developing AAA games today, and the massive investment made to do so (on par with many Hollywood big budget movies), and, you know, the fact that they're actively trying to make a profit, I understand DLC, and appreciate it when its done well.

Much of the larger DLC pieces for bigger games take 6-8 months of development time (or more), usually requiring them to shift manpower towards the end of the main game's development cycle to begin planning, developing, brainstorming, etc the DLC. Meaning that would add well over a year of development time to include ALL DLC on the disc at release along with the game... its business, kiddo, the real world and out of touch stockbrokers and CEOs are the ones who dictate that. Not defending it, just saying thats reality.

Arkham has great replay! It encourages you to replay levels to find all the hidden items after beating the game.

All the Arkham games do that. Thats a feature of the main game. The DLC gives people who spent $70 on the game to revisit it in a few months. Yes, it costs money. Again, reality.

My point was that it held up perfectly fine on its own without DLC because the developers took time making a non-****ty completed game.

And City and Origins both did as well, they just also offered DLC that continued the story. So what? Origins' "Cold, Cold Heart" obviously was always designed as DLC, as was City's "Harley Quinn's Revenge"... these shouldn't have been a part of the normal game since they're separate stories, at best continuations or epilogues to the main game. Cramming that content into the main game would result in an odd sort of ending and feel out of place.

And thats the point. The DLC is meant to be optional and add to the main game, not be a required part of it.

Do you revile Nintendo for releasing Amiibos? Essentially that's just DLC in figurine form.

Nope. They can delay the game and put it on the disk.

Again, you're not based in reality. Business world is different than La-La-Land. ;)

You can bend over to your coporate overlords if you want,

Wow... now we're resorting to the rhetoric of angry college freshmen? Besides, you know I only do that for you.

I get laid enough already.

download.jpeg

"If expansions didn't exist none of these games you avoided due to them having expansions would exist!"

And the only way to change the system is to fight against it. Enough people do what I do and DLC and expansions will fade away.

Don't get me started on Amiibos.

Nah, I just wanted to sound edgy :3 You know I love you <3

Strap-on measuring actually. My fwb is female, but I'm bisexual so we've worked things out...

"If expansions didn't exist none of these games you avoided due to them having expansions would exist!"

Never mind that many of those were excellent games.

And the only way to change the system is to fight against it. Enough people do what I do and DLC and expansions will fade away.

I'm all for changing the way businesses do some of their more shady practices through popular opinion, but your crusade doesn't seem to be working to an almost Quixotic level.

Don't get me started on Amiibos.

My buddy is obsessed. I don't really get it either.

Nah, I just wanted to sound edgy :3 You know I love you <3

Strap-on measuring actually. My fwb is female, but I'm bisexual so we've worked things out...

That last part may qualify for the "TMI" category.

....what the **** is wrong with you two

I don't think there will ever be a medical or psychological term for it.

....what the **** is wrong with you two

He says potato, I say potato. I say tomato, he says tomato.

Never mind that many of those were excellent games.

alien-black-eh-ew-Favim.com-2424666.jpg

I'm all for changing the way businesses do some of their more shady practices through popular opinion, but your crusade doesn't seem to be working to an almost Quixotic level.

Hey man, just because I'm off fighting windmills does not make my methods Quixotic. In all seriousness, I recognize that it would take a LOT for that to happen and probably never will. Same way how getting rid of the stupid two party system in American politics is never going to happen. But that doesn't mean I'm going to cave in.

My buddy is obsessed. I don't really get it either.

I want them as statues, I collect statues and figures, but I know once I buy one I'll want them all and Nintendo is doing a terrible job with supplying them (Scalper City man), but as using it to unlock stuff turns me off. In fact, just today I saw I could unlock special videos for upcoming Virtual Console stuff to watch by using an Amiibo. Same goes for Disney Infinity (although I've heard you can't mix playsets which is incredibly lame and sort of false advertising). They're both making a LOT of money though.

That last part may qualify for the "TMI" category.

Nah, TMI would be the story of how I discovered I enjoy that...

Hey man, just because I'm off fighting windmills does not make my methods Quixotic. In all seriousness, I recognize that it would take a LOT for that to happen and probably never will. Same way how getting rid of the stupid two party system in American politics is never going to happen. But that doesn't mean I'm going to cave in.

Speaking of which, Independent candidate Bernie Sanders just announced his bid for the 2016 Presidency and managed to out raise Republican hopefuls in his first weekend as candidate by a 33% margin.

What was it you were saying again?

I want them as statues, I collect statues and figures, but I know once I buy one I'll want them all and Nintendo is doing a terrible job with supplying them (Scalper City man), but as using it to unlock stuff turns me off.

So if they were just statues, you'd be down. But because they're statues that offer a DLC aspect in addition to being statues, that turns you off? Lol.

Nah, TMI would be the story of how I discovered I enjoy that...

I assure you, the former qualifies as well.

We both know that even if he wins that's not gonna matter next election.

Well, I'm down for collecting statues, I don't like that the only way to get certain content is to get them. Especially when they sell out befire they're even out.

I legitimately don't remember what this thread is about now lol

I've paid for DLC exactly once - for the most recent Mario Kart extras.

I felt filthy afterward.

I'm confused on what this topic is BUT DLC/Expansions I think it depends on the game and how it's done. Like the game Diablo III got an expansion and it seems it was made AFTER the game came out. Little big planet Costumes are great and made AFTER the game. However why did we need to pay for few kb download to play multiplayer in Resident Evil 5 ? it was ON THE DISC.

That to me is my issues with DLC/Expansions. If it's made after then great I'm all for it but do NOT charge us extra for stuff that's on the disc or for content they leave out just to sell it as DLC. The new Batman season pass i mentioned in the thread feels like content left off to sell back to us to make more $$$ it's ridicules. Like why during every sims game do we pay to get an Expansion that lets us go on holiday or to collage or tio visit night-life .... once yes I could believe it was created later based on cool idea but EVERY time? **** you!

it's worse that we pay for DLC that we dont always know what it is. like "buy season pack it contains 3 dlc packs to be named later" we couldnt do that, go to a game shop and say buy Batman Arkam Knight with a note "I owe you some cash. I'll make 3 payments for this game later of amounts to be decided later" lol it's dumb

I admit i buy dlc and i know I'm adding to the problem but take DragonBall Xenoverse I got the season pass for the simple reason I want all the characters + all the moves for my fighter (example super spirit bomb was dlc!) as otherwise i have an incomplete game and on a lot that annoys me as i want the entire game not say 75%

The worst offenders use to be Capcom + EA but now everyone is doing it.

That to me is my issues with DLC/Expansions. If it's made after then great I'm all for it but do NOT charge us extra for stuff that's on the disc or for content they leave out just to sell it as DLC. The new Batman season pass i mentioned in the thread feels like content left off to sell back to us to make more $$$ it's ridicules. Like why during every sims game do we pay to get an Expansion that lets us go on holiday or to collage or tio visit night-life .... once yes I could believe it was created later based on cool idea but EVERY time? **** you!

I disagree. Again, the DLC they announced (relating to the main campaign/single player game) seems pretty obviously something designed as DLC, a completely separate story, much like Cold, Cold Heart or Harley Quinn's Revenge.

A Batgirl prequel mini-campaign most definitely doesn't fit into the overall story/plot of Arkham Knight, thus the idea it was cut from the original game is sort of ridiculous. Most especially since this Batgirl DLC has to occur at least several years before the events of Arkham Knight (since Barbara was paralyzed sometime between Origins and Asylum).

The other side mission stuff also seems like it's obviously been designed as DLC from the start, given the alternate character aspect (playing as Robin, Nightwing, Catwoman, etc in the main campaign itself). The alternate character thing has always been a DLC feature in the Arkham series, whether in single player (introduced through Catwoman in Arkham City) or multiplayer/challenge maps.

If, when the game comes out, all that content is on the disc and locked behind a paywall, you'll be correct. I doubt that'll be the case. Companies have learned the lesson of huge public backlash as a result of such practices. They'll at least attempt a certain level of tact going forward, I'd think.

it's worse that we pay for DLC that we dont always know what it is. like "buy season pack it contains 3 dlc packs to be named later" we couldnt do that, go to a game shop and say buy Batman Arkam Knight with a note "I owe you some cash. I'll make 3 payments for this game later of amounts to be decided later" lol it's dumb

Probably why they just revealed the full list of what the Season Pass includes. I'm sure they'll release videos and more detailed breakdowns of the costume packs and Batmobile races as they get a little closer to release.

I admit i buy dlc and i know I'm adding to the problem but take DragonBall Xenoverse I got the season pass for the simple reason I want all the characters + all the moves for my fighter (example super spirit bomb was dlc!) as otherwise i have an incomplete game and on a lot that annoys me as i want the entire game not say 75%

The worst offenders use to be Capcom + EA but now everyone is doing it.

Yup. And like I said, I don't mind buying DLC for a game I enjoy. I'm quite sure I'm going to enjoy Arkham Knight so I'll very likely buy the single player DLC for it.

If that makes me a corporate shill, oh well.

I don't have anything against DLCs as much. Prices sometimes, sure, but DLCs themselves? I'm cool with it. That doesn't mean I don't understand those who have issues with it. I totally get it and on some points I can agree.

In the case of Mario Kart, though, DLCs are perfect as Nintendo only ever puts out one of the main game per console generation.

Last edited:
I disagree. Again, the DLC they announced (relating to the main campaign/single player game) seems pretty obviously something designed as DLC, a completely separate story, much like Cold, Cold Heart or Harley Quinn's Revenge.

A Batgirl prequel mini-campaign most definitely doesn't fit into the overall story/plot of Arkham Knight, thus the idea it was cut from the original game is sort of ridiculous. Most especially since this Batgirl DLC has to occur at least several years before the events of Arkham Knight (since Barbara was paralyzed sometime between Origins and Asylum).

The other side mission stuff also seems like it's obviously been designed as DLC from the start, given the alternate character aspect (playing as Robin, Nightwing, Catwoman, etc in the main campaign itself). The alternate character thing has always been a DLC feature in the Arkham series, whether in single player (introduced through Catwoman in Arkham City) or multiplayer/challenge maps.

If, when the game comes out, all that content is on the disc and locked behind a paywall, you'll be correct. I doubt that'll be the case. Companies have learned the lesson of huge public backlash as a result of such practices. They'll at least attempt a certain level of tact going forward, I'd think.

Probably why they just revealed the full list of what the Season Pass includes. I'm sure they'll release videos and more detailed breakdowns of the costume packs and Batmobile races as they get a little closer to release.

Yup. And like I said, I don't mind buying DLC for a game I enjoy. I'm quite sure I'm going to enjoy Arkham Knight so I'll very likely buy the single player DLC for it.

If that makes me a corporate shill, oh well.

only the part that said felt left off was about arkham the rest was DLC in general dude. I know they told us whats in Season Pass but not every game does and that peeves me ect....

Latest posts

Back