Guardians of the Galaxy film discussion (SPOILERS)

How would you rate Guardians of the Galaxy?

• Total voters

wyokid

Holy. ****. Everyone needs to see this immediately. It does not feel like a Marvel Studios movie. It's a James Gunn flick through and through.

Notable comic cameos Howard the Duck, Cosmo, a Celestial (not just the head, a full Celestial), and a huge plethora of aliens. Also Josh Brolin CLEARLY did the mo-cap for Thanos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Marvel planning 'Guardians of the Galaxy' pic

Holy. ****. Everyone needs to see this immediately. It does not feel like a Marvel Studios movie. It's a James Gunn flick through and through.

Notable comic cameos Howard the Duck, Cosmo, a Celestial (not just the head, a full Celestial), and a huge plethora of aliens. Also Josh Brolin CLEARLY did the mo-cap for Thanos.

Except for having very few references to existing Marvel Cinematic Universe franchises (an infinity stone, Thanos, and really not much else), the movie totally felt like Marvel Studios. Imagination run wild, characters never really being in danger, good quips, etc. I didn't forget for a second that I was watching Marvel.

What I meant was is that the Marvel Studios film have a certain tone and structure and this, at least to me, didn't have that.

Saw it earlier today.

I liked it a lot. I don't think it's the best MCU film as many claim (CA-TWS was a smarter film and better overall), but it's still darn good, and another feather in Feige's hat of Marvel's track record of solidly entertaining and original summer blockbusters.

This film certainly holds the crown for humor and irreverence (in terms of MCU films), and it really works.

Pratt did a good job as Quill, Saldana a serviceable job as Gamora. I was surprised by Bautista as Drax. While he didn't blow me away with his performance, he did impress me and I'm eager to see what he does in the sequel (hopefully the sequel will offer more screen time to Drax and Groot and explore their backgrounds more, as well as Quill's father, which seems likely). Cooper as Rocket was great, and I adore Groot. Loved the few touching moments Groot had, and the scene where he goes a bit ape-**** and skewers Ronan's men and repeatedly slams them into the wall, then turns around and smiles was hilarious. The scene at the end where little Groot, re-growing in the pot and dancing to the Jackson 5 song and freezing so Drax can't seem him doing it was pure gold, and likely to keep the character fresh in the minds of kids.

But yeah, solid movie. Liked the post credit scene with Howard the Duck as well. It didn't really add anything to the overall MCU, but it was a nice nod to the character and opens up the possibility for him to show up in the sequel.

I hope Guardians of the Galaxy 2 has a better villain. Maybe Thanos himself? Hopefully not Star-Lord's dad...

I really want Star-Lord's dad. Loving what Bendis is doing.

But yeah, solid movie. Liked the post credit scene with Howard the Duck as well. It didn't really add anything to the overall MCU, but it was a nice nod to the character and opens up the possibility for him to show up in the sequel.

Or a film himself...

Last edited:
I really want Star-Lord's dad. Loving what Bendis is doing.

Who is Star Lord's father?

Eh. I don't think that's in the cards yet. If we see Howard the Duck again (which we probably will), it'll almost definitely be in GotG2. Given Gunn's description of the post credit scene as "pure joy" before it was revealed it had Howard in it, I presume he has a fondness for the character. I'd presume Howard will have a small role in the sequel, perhaps a couple scenes, nothing big, to introduce him more to audiences and give him the opportunity to have some humorous and memorable lines that'll etch him into the memory of the general audience in a positive way (since the old 80's film version is still very much stuck in people's minds, unfortunately).

Also, what approach do you take with a Howard the Duck film? It's a satire that offers commentary on the real world, something that the 80's film didn't get. Do you include such ridiculous concepts as Quack-Fu and Duckworld? Or do you gloss over that and just bring Howard to Earth and show his interactions here? While it could offer plenty of tongue-in-cheek humor, it'd be impossible to really adapt the character as the central figure for an MCU film that meshes well with the bigger film universe, while still remaining true to the character. I just don't think it's likely anytime soon. Also, is it Marvel's first straight up comedy, or will there be adventure and action elements included? How do you approach it? This is the problem the first film had (and completely failed at), and that was without trying to tie it into a bigger pre-existing film universe with it's own tone and continuity.

GotG2 could at least be used as a sort of testing ground for the general audiences acceptance and like-ability of the character. That could be the deciding factor on if a Howard solo film ever comes to light. But again, I don't think it'll happen anytime soon, given Marvel have a wealth of other characters that deserve the film treatment long before Howard the Duck does. If they're going to include him, keep him as a tertiary character that's there for comedic effect.

Who is Star Lord's father?

J'son of Spartax. Leader of the Spartoi Empire. He's not really a bad guy per-say, but he's definitely not the greatest of guys.

Eh. I don't think that's in the cards yet. If we see Howard the Duck again (which we probably will), it'll almost definitely be in GotG2. Given Gunn's description of the post credit scene as "pure joy" before it was revealed it had Howard in it, I presume he has a fondness for the character. I'd presume Howard will have a small role in the sequel, perhaps a couple scenes, nothing big, to introduce him more to audiences and give him the opportunity to have some humorous and memorable lines that'll etch him into the memory of the general audience in a positive way (since the old 80's film version is still very much stuck in people's minds, unfortunately).

Also, what approach do you take with a Howard the Duck film? It's a satire that offers commentary on the real world, something that the 80's film didn't get. Do you include such ridiculous concepts as Quack-Fu and Duckworld? Or do you gloss over that and just bring Howard to Earth and show his interactions here? While it could offer plenty of tongue-in-cheek humor, it'd be impossible to really adapt the character as the central figure for an MCU film that meshes well with the bigger film universe, while still remaining true to the character. I just don't think it's likely anytime soon. Also, is it Marvel's first straight up comedy, or will there be adventure and action elements included? How do you approach it? This is the problem the first film had (and completely failed at), and that was without trying to tie it into a bigger pre-existing film universe with it's own tone and continuity.

GotG2 could at least be used as a sort of testing ground for the general audiences acceptance and like-ability of the character. That could be the deciding factor on if a Howard solo film ever comes to light. But again, I don't think it'll happen anytime soon, given Marvel have a wealth of other characters that deserve the film treatment long before Howard the Duck does. If they're going to include him, keep him as a tertiary character that's there for comedic effect.

If anyone can do it it's Marvel Studios. It's so great having people who know the comics inside and out working on these. They just made Rocket Raccoon a household name. Hold on, I need to compose myself *holds back tears*

Took my wife to see this on opening day, during our honeymoon :D

We both really liked it. It was fun. My favourite part was

Rocket: Don't bother, his people are completely literal. Metaphors will just go over his head.
Drax: Nothing goes over my head! My reflexes are too quick, I would catch it!

:lol:

Watched it in IMAX 3D and it was amazing. I wish I had an IMAX/3D screen of my own...

The movie was amazing. Loved it all. The heartbreak moments, the laughter... it was all just incredible. I thought Gunn and crew did an above and beyond job on how literally one second you're amazed at the sequences, then you're feeling down and sad about what happened and then the next second laugh and it all felt natural, nothing forced. To go from one emotion to the next like that... wow. That was impressive to me.

THANOS! OH-EM-GEE! I squealed like a happy little girl when he appeared and talked! I looked over to my friend and then back at the screen with such enthusiasm seeing him with his presence on the screen like that!

COSMOS WAS IN THE MOVIE! YES!YES!YES!YES!YES! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

The only disappointing part of that is not hearing him telepathically talk in Russian. BOO! But still! :D

Howard the Duck was cool. I liked how he looked. His few seconds on screen is a gazillion times better than the entire movie of his from the 80's.

I really liked the mention of J'son, Star-Lord's dad. Peter's mom dying... that scene felt so real (again, Gunn and crew, hats off to you all) that I am not ashamed to admit I cried a bit. It was sad and so heartbreaking. It definitely gave the scene where Peter yelled at the guard to take off his walkman more... gravitas, let's just say for the lack of a better word.

Rocket and Groot! Man were they such a huge highlight of the movie. Rocket's characterization was extremely spot on. And seeing a Celestial?! AN ACTUAL CELESTIAL AND WALKING AROUND AND EVERYTHING?! Such a huge geek-gasm. Oh man.

Star-Lord dancing to distract Ronan was pure brilliance. Chris Pratt could not have done a better job as him. :lol:

The history of the Infinity Gems was amazing. Seeing all of them (I wish they were named on screen) and then seeing the one they had in the shape of a gem like in the comics was so cool.

I need to see this again.

:heart: THANOS & COSMOS!!!!!!!!! :heart:

Saw it yesterday, and thought it was really, really good. I'd probably rank it up with Avengers and Winter Soldier for my favorite Marvel film. Rocket and Groot were both incredible, and Pratt was really good as Star Lord. I think I was most impressed by Bautista as Drax. He managed to bring a lot of depth and humor to the part, especially considering his background as a wrestler. Ronan was a bit underwhelming, and some of the plot was convoluted, but the humor and excitement more than make up for any flaws.

Saw it yesterday, and thought it was really, really good. I'd probably rank it up with Avengers and Winter Soldier for my favorite Marvel film. Rocket and Groot were both incredible, and Pratt was really good as Star Lord. I think I was most impressed by Bautista as Drax. He managed to bring a lot of depth and humor to the part, especially considering his background as a wrestler. Ronan was a bit underwhelming, and some of the plot was convoluted, but the humor and excitement more than make up for any flaws.

That was my biggest surprise, was seeing how well Bautista fit the role of Drax. I can definitely see why Gunn cast him. Hoping for more background on Drax's, Rocket's, and Groot's origins in the sequel, as well as Star-Lord's father being introduced.

Took my wife to see this on opening day, during our honeymoon :D

Congrats!

My favourite part was

Your favorite part of the movie right? Not favorite part of the honeymoon I hope. ;)

I saw this yesterday. I really liked getting some explanation on the gems and finally seeing one look like they were depicted in the comics. Thanos was cool as hell. Also really liked getting to see the celestial. Very cool. I would have liked to see Nova (rather than the general Nova corps, who came off as very non super if you ask me). I'd really like to see Quasar in the 2nd one. Also a nod to or glimpse of the future guardians would be great.

Oh, btw Purple is the power gem?

If THIS is correct and the colors actually mean anything then purple is the space gem.

So far we have seen the Mind gem in the form of the tesseract, the power gem in the form of the Aether (it was red?) and now the Space gem. It would be nice if the gems were used in ways that actually reflected which gem it is. So far I think only the mind gem has been somewhat obvious from its use.

Congrats!

Thanks!

Your favorite part of the movie right? Not favorite part of the honeymoon I hope. ;)
haha, yeah, of the movie.
If THIS is correct and the colors actually mean anything then purple is the space gem.

So far we have seen the Mind gem in the form of the tesseract, the power gem in the form of the Aether (it was red?) and now the Space gem. It would be nice if the gems were used in ways that actually reflected which gem it is. So far I think only the mind gem has been somewhat obvious from its use.

I feel like that doesn't really make sense based on what the gems have done though. I wonder why they mixed up the colours. Or maybe they are never going to call them 'the space gem, the time gem, the reality gem' etc. Maybe they're just 'the infinity stones' and they do different things.

I feel like that doesn't really make sense based on what the gems have done though. I wonder why they mixed up the colours. Or maybe they are never going to call them 'the space gem, the time gem, the reality gem' etc. Maybe they're just 'the infinity stones' and they do different things.

You are probably right. This would explain the lack of reference to their properties (ie space, time, mind etc) and the seemingly generic and similar "abilities" they have.

I was under the impression that the Aether was reality, the cube was space, the scepter was soul, and the purple was power.

Last edited:
Well in this old interview Feige says that the Tesseract is the Space Stone. Also, at that point (last November) he didn't seem to be sure if they would be named that in the movies.

And wyokid, has there been any hint that the scepter is an Infinity Stone (I'm assuming you refer to Loki's scepter in The Avengers)? Surely Thanos wouldn't simply hand over a Stone to Loki like that?

Anyway, enjoyed the movie immensely. Like DARKKNIGHT, I was really impressed and pleasantly surprised by Bautista's Drax. A great character, and Bautista played him really well. I hope we'll get more into the character in the sequel. Also, what a great idea to ground the movie with 70's and 80's music like that, and having it make sense through Quill's mixtape. A masterstroke.

So Fillion's cameo role was the big inmate who threatened Quill? Completely missed that.

The only gripe I have is the Nova Corps, they were pretty much just the police force for one planet, rather than intergalactic peacekeepers, like they were in the comics.

Last edited:
Also, at that point (last November) he didn't seem to be sure if they would be named that in the movies.

I would guess that at this point, 3 gems in, since they haven't been referred to by their names yet, I would figure its safe to assume they won't be and will just be generic "infinity gems".

I do wonder about the infinity gauntlet in Odin's vault in Thor. At the time it seemed the gems were in the gauntlet. Which would make sense otherwise why save an empty gauntlet? But if they are there, were they somehow scattered during Thor? I am wondering if that was a bit if a tactical error on the part of the director putting that in there.

Oh, btw Purple is the power gem?

Yes, as confirmed by James Gunn on Twitter.

This was a phenomenal movie. Easily the best Marvel movie yet, no question. It was extremely funny, and while other Marvel movies have had funny moments in the past this one fully embraced it and was almost a comedy. That's not a knock on the other movies because they AREN'T comedies, but the humor in them is a little bit...forced? I didn't feel like that with this and it was genuinely hilarious.

On top of that the action sequences were original and well done; nothing seemed cliche or like it was something we'd seen 500 times before.

Best yet - there's no dumb comic book science in it. All of the sci-fi stuff is relatable and none of it seemed contrived.

It was a complete story that left doors open all over the place for sequels. I'd love to see this treated like a Star-Wars-esque franchise. There are tons of possibilities - J'son, the Nova Corps, the Infinity Gems, Howard The Duck... :)

I'm probably going back to take my son to see it this weekend.

GREAT movie. Loved every second of it.

Latest posts

Back