Hell Yeah by Joe Keatinge and Andre Szymanowicz (spoilers)

E

Excelsior Club
I checked out Hell Yeah #1 after seeing a few people talking about it - and I enjoyed it.

Here's the solit for the first issue, which describes the plot better than I could:

THE LAST GENERATION OF HEROES IS HERE!
Twenty years ago, the first-ever superheroes debuted without warning and forever altered our global culture! Now, the generation born in their wake fight to claim their place in a world evolved beyond them! Written by Eisner & Harvey award-winner JOE KEATINGE and illustrated by ELEPHANTMEN and POPGUN's ANDRE SZYMANOWICZ, HELL YEAH combines the over-the-top excitement of the original Image Comics launch with modern, innovative storytelling. It all begins with a giant-sized first issue containing a full thirty-two pages of story with no ads for the regular price of just $2.99!

It basically starts out following a kid named Ben whose dad was rescued by some superheroes while fighting in Kuwait. It was actually the first appearance of any super powered beings. Ben was later born with some kind of powers (they don't say specifically, but indicate they are kind of minor). The superheroes went about changing and improving the world, ending famine, etc. Ben gets in fights at school and is always in trouble

I wasn't crazy about the art but it didn't ruin the book. I don't believe I've read anything by Joe Keatinge or Andre Szymanowicz before this.

I did read this.

I felt the premise was slightly interesting, but I'm far more interested in way superheroes didn't show up until the time they did, and I hope the book answers that question.

Ultimate Houde said:
I did read this.

I felt the premise was slightly interesting, but I'm far more interested in way superheroes didn't show up until the time they did, and I hope the book answers that question.

Same here.

I'm also interested to see how the improvements they've made in the world affect the world and how people react to them - that was one of my favorite things about Miracleman and I'd like to see another book look into that.

I picked it up off of Comixology and i wasn't impressed.

I don't feel we got a good view of the world. What we saw wasn't very different from what we live in now. They told us that it was different, that this or that had happened, but we never SAW it. What we saw was a spoiled kid who gets into fights and thinks who his parents are will protect him. The last page was the only interesting thing about the book but if i don't care before that its not going to change my mind.

Beck's "Hell Yes" pops into my head every time someone mentions Hell Yeah.

ProjectX2 said:
Beck's "Hell Yes" pops into my head every time someone mentions Hell Yeah.

The Game Boy remix.

I like what this book is doing conceptually but it's kind of teen angst-y and sort of gets on my nerves.

Someone is killing Ben Day across different realities and his girlfriend is trying to stop it. We find out the person doing it is his mom.

Also, I don't care much for the art.

After reading #4 I realized I really don't have any idea what's going on in this book anymore other than Ben's mom is killing all of the Bens from different realities. None of the characters are strong enough for me to remember anything about them.

I'm trying to decide if I care enough to re-read this as a trade and get the whole story at once.

Latest posts

Back