How To Deal With Problem Posters and Threads

Bass

Nexus of the World
Something's in the air. People are getting very tense with certain posters.

So here is a simple way to solve these problems.

If a thread is started by a poster you don't like, don't read the thread. The originator of the thread is right there for all to see, so there is no excuse if you go into a thread created by someone who annoys you and proceed to bash them for creating the thread.

If a poster continues to post things that annoy you and frustrate you, first try to reason with them respectfully. It's quite likely the person is completely unaware that they are annoying you in any way, and if you simply tell them so, with deference and respect, they are likely to respond favourably - at least more so than if you just start laying into them with hostility.

However, it is quite possible that the poster won't care that they've annoyed you, and thus, your respect will be seen as weakness and they will act as if they owe you nothing. Should this be the case, do not argue your case any further. This is hard to do, because not arguing your case may seem like you are weak, scared, unwilling or incapable of asserting yourself, or it can be seen as an admission of guilt or an attempt to avoid admitting to a mistake. However, if you continue to argue your case, you will create a little flame war which will draw more people into it until the mods eventually have to delete the posts or in some cases, the entire thread, which frankly, is untenable.

If you must argue, continue it in the private messaging service the forum provides. Simply click on the poster's name, and choose the "Send private message to [poster's name]" option. At least that way the rest of the forum is unaffected.

However, if, after trying to respectfully deal with someone only to be responded with hostility, then quite simply, add that poster to your ignore list.

It's quite easy. Click on the poster's name, go to their public profile, and on the right of the page you should see "Add [poster's name] to your ignore list". Click it and will ask if you are sure. Click "submit". From now on, each of that poster's posts will no longer be displayed. What happens is when that person posts in a thread, you will see that they have posted, but where their message would be it says, "[poster's name] has been added to your ignore list".

Now, there are two other links. One says "Remove [poster's name] from your ignore list." and "View this post." I'd advise to click on neither and leave them alone. I know the temptation is hard, but just leave those links alone.

Now, after a while, you may calm down and think to remove them from your list and start viewing their posts again. If you do this, and you begin to become annoyed at their posts, repeat the above instructions. Go straight to the ignore step if you want, but do not start an argument on the forums.

Understand, this is a very hard thing to do if someone just lays into you specifically for no perceivable reason, but keep your posts to rebuttals and defensive statements with a level-head. Do not proceed to indulge in trading insults. If you cannot help yourself, put the offender on your ignore list, or if they are particularly hurtful, harsh, or remorseless, tell a mod about it by sending that mod a private message. (The mods are anyone who's name is bold and italized, so that's E, Ice, and Cad, Proj, Seldes Kadne, each of whom is genuinely nice. I am also a mod.)

These are simple rules, because while I know I myself can piss people off with nonsense topics, I fail to see anything more destructive on this board than vicious arguments between posters when such a simple method to preventing them or keeping them private exists.

I have decided to take my own advice: I have added one person to my ignore list.

Hopefully, the next time you get pissed off with a poster, you may be able to remember this thread and not post an argument.

Last edited:

jtg3885

Banned
I do agree with the top portions... although people you don't like posting about you tends to make it back to you eventually if you do have friends on the site...

As for the Ignore List, it's a nice sentiment, but largely ineffective. Especially on a site that has so many active discussion topics going at one time, you really run the risk of looking like a complete idiot because you're missing posts out of the thread, and either repeating information, repeating questions, or something along those lines. I've had a few people on my list, including Bass for a while, but it just became annoying in the long to have to hit View This Post all the time, especially in longer threads.

E

Excelsior Club
Well said. I agree with every point, especially the using the Ignore List bit. That's what it's there for, people.

jtg3885 said:
As for the Ignore List, it's a nice sentiment, but largely ineffective. Especially on a site that has so many active discussion topics going at one time, you really run the risk of looking like a complete idiot because you're missing posts out of the thread

Sorry, but that's the risk one runs of being a **** who can't get along with anyone.

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
UltimateE said:
Well said. I agree with every point, especially the using the Ignore List bit. That's what it's there for, people.

If you agree with what he has posted I think you should close the thread so no one posts anything excessive and stupid. The point's been made rather nicely so Sticky and close would probably be a good thing for this thread.

Seldes Katne

Site mom
Johnny Bravo said:
Him and E really are the same person :D
I sincerely hope that's just one of those unfounded rumors that crops up here every so often.

One other bit of advice to add -- before replying to something you find annoying or offensive, take 24 hours to cool off. Write up your response if you have to, then save it somewhere and sleep on it. This will give you a chance to rethink your position and decide whether or not it's worth arguing about. If you still think it is, read your response over very carefully and consider how your words will affect readers. There are ways to phrase negative comments so that they are still polite and respectful, which makes you as the poster look much more mature and professional. Focus on the offensive message, not on the person who posted it.

E

Excelsior Club
Seldes Katne said:
I sincerely hope that's just one of those unfounded rumors that crops up here every so often.

It is unquestionably, undeniably, unequivicably false.

E

Excelsior Club
slimjim said:
:shifty: what does unequivicably mean? :shifty:

A better question is, "how is it spelled?" I'm sure I spelled it wrong.

eroz

UltimateE said:
A better question is, "how is it spelled?" I'm sure I spelled it wrong.
un·e·quiv·o·cal ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-kwv-kl)
adj.
Admitting of no doubt or misunderstanding; clear and unambiguous: an unequivocal success.

slimjim

eroz said:
un·e·quiv·o·cal ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-kwv-kl)
adj.
Admitting of no doubt or misunderstanding; clear and unambiguous: an unequivocal success.

The Captain

Banned
UltimateE said:

Sorry, but that's the risk one runs of being a **** who can't get along with anyone.

I havent placed anyone on my ignore list...im surprised im not on yours, and vice versa..and although it is there for a reason, i wouldnt be the captain if i wasnt built for drama ;)

Patriot Mk2

The poster formerly known as Johnny Bravo
The Captain said:
I havent placed anyone on my ignore list...im surprised im not on yours, and vice versa..and although it is there for a reason, i wouldnt be the captain if i wasnt built for drama ;)

I'd be surprised if many people used the ignore list to be honest.

E

Excelsior Club
The Captain said:

For any mod to use the ignore list would be irresponsible.

Johnny Bravo said:
I'd be surprised if many people used the ignore list to be honest.

Me too. People love drama.

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
UltimateE said:
Me too. People love drama.

I love Drama. I also love defending myself. I can't use the ignore list and let my guard down. Too many easily influenced members on this board. If there's an argument between me and another person and they start preaching the board will swing their way. That's the way things go around here. I'm not all for continuing a fight but I don't take my eye off the ball.... that's how one gets hit in the crown jewels.

Latest posts