IDW's Transformers Discussion (SPOILERS)

wyokid

Been catching up on IDW's Transformers comics. Finally hit the current on-goings (Robots in Disguise and More Than Meets the Eye). The status quo is that the war is finally over and both Orion Pax (formerly known as Optimus Prime) and Megatron are MIA. Robots in Disguise follows Ironhide, Prowl, Wheeljack, Arcee, and a bunch of other Autobots on Cybertron as they try to unite the NAILs (Non-Aligned Indigenous Life-forms), Autobots, and Decepticons under Bumblebee's new government. Lots of drama and politics. More Than Meets the Eye follows Rodimus and his crew (which starts as Ultra Magnus, Drift, Swerve, Ratchet, Whirl, Cyclonus, Red Alert, Rung, Rewind, and Chromedome but slowly grows) out in space as the search for the legendary Knights of Cybertron. While they do have a quest in mind it's very nonlinear with it and several other stories have been occurring on the way there including stories involving a virus, a killer, and a stowaway.

I've currently hit the end of the first mega-arcs for both and they were really well done. Robots in Disguise had a TON of political, story, and character setup and was a slow fuse that finally exploded in a shower of awesomeness. I haven't been that drawn in and shocked with a comic arc since Ultimate Spider-Man's Clone Saga. Meanwhile More Than Meets the Eye's arc also ended in bloodshed, death, and tragedy but of a different kind and I'm really looking forward to seeing where that goes. If you like Transformers, have ever been interested in getting into them or IDW's comics, or have been wondering why in the world I love Transformers so much I recommend starting with these. James Roberts and John Barber have really done a hell of a job.

Is anyone else reading these?

Been catching up on IDW's Transformers comics. Finally hit the current on-goings (Robots in Disguise and More Than Meets the Eye). The status quo is that the war is finally over and both Orion Pax (formerly known as Optimus Prime) and Megatron are MIA. Robots in Disguise follows Ironhide, Prowl, Wheeljack, Arcee, and a bunch of other Autobots on Cybertron as they try to unite the NAILs (Non-Aligned Indigenous Life-forms), Autobots, and Decepticons under Bumblebee's new government. Lots of drama and politics. More Than Meets the Eye follows Rodimus and his crew (which starts as Ultra Magnus, Drift, Swerve, Ratchet, Whirl, Cyclonus, Red Alert, Rung, Rewind, and Chromedome but slowly grows) out in space as the search for the legendary Knights of Cybertron. While they do have a quest in mind it's very nonlinear with it and several other stories have been occurring on the way there including stories involving a virus, a killer, and a stowaway. I've currently hit the end of the first mega-arcs for both and they were really well done. Robots in Disguise had a TON of political, story, and character setup and was a slow fuse that finally exploded in a shower of awesomeness. I haven't been that drawn in and shocked with a comic arc since Ultimate Spider-Man's Clone Saga. Meanwhile More Than Meets the Eye's arc also ended in bloodshed, death, and tragedy but of a different kind and I'm really looking forward to seeing where that goes. If you like Transformers, have ever been interested in getting into them or IDW's comics, or have been wondering why in the world I love Transformers so much I recommend starting with these. James Roberts and John Barber have really done a hell of a job. Is anyone else reading these?

Transformers bleed?

Yes, but in the PG-13 sense where it's not red (usually it's purple).

There was recently an event and the three books (two on-goings and one miniseries) have a banner called Dawn of the Autobots and it's made to be a good jumping on point for new readers. A little bit on the books in case anyone is interested. I put them in spoiler tags because it does spoil stuff from before it. They're damn good and really easy to get into.

Windblade #1 (this is the four issue miniseries)
A new race of Transformers is revealed and they have genders! In this universe the only other female was Arcee who's gender was a result of experimentation so this was a really big thing. The story is basically who is Windblade and where does she fit in on Cybertron. The plot also involves Windblade's relationship with Metroplex

Robots in Disguise #28:
After the death of Bumblebee Optimus decides to follow a clue left by Alpha Trion. He takes a team to Earth where the Decepticons (led by Galvatron) are seen as the good guys by the US military and the Autobots have to face both the Decepticons and the humans.

More Than Meets the Eye #28:
Rodimus wants to return to his quest of finding the Knight of Cybertron so The Lost Light takes off into space again only this time a new Autobot comes with them. That new Autobot...is Megatron.

Last edited:
I could never get into Transformers as a kid. I was a huge fan of TMNT, He-Man, GI Joe, etc, but there was just something about Transformers that didn't gel with me. I did see the first Michael Bay movie, and it was far better than the GI Joe film, but it was still... odd, and not in the good way, at least for me.

It probably a case of me overthinking it.

I could never get into Transformers as a kid. I was a huge fan of TMNT, He-Man, GI Joe, etc, but there was just something about Transformers that didn't gel with me. I did see the first Michael Bay movie, and it was far better than the GI Joe film, but it was still... odd, and not in the good way, at least for me.

It probably a case of me overthinking it.

It was a bad movie. There's nothing to overthink.

I cannot stand the Michael Bay films. I got into Transformers with Beast Wars which is amazing. Have you tried Transformers Prime? It's really good.

New Drift miniseries announced!

10275344_10152466074613279_8179323414309926303_o_zps44483b6e.jpg

A new IDW TRANSFORMERS 4-issue comic series was announced today at #BotCon2014!

The same creative team behind All Hail Megatron, writer Shane McCarthy and artist Guido Guidi bring us DRIFT: EMPIRE OF STONE this November.

You can find out more in TRANSFORMERS: SPOTLIGHT DRIFT DIRECTOR'S CUT (out 6/25), which includes an extensive interview with the comic book creators who have worked on Drift from day one to present!

Cover by Alex Milne and Josh Burcham

Hopefully one of you will pick it up so I won't be so lonely.

Sounds fair enough.

Cool. If you want I can send you some links. Give me some recommendations for the Transformers series.

Personally I'd recommend Archer & Armstrong and Harbinger for Valiant. You might also like X-O Manowar and Bloodshot, just depends on your tastes. Quantum & Woody is also really funny, though storyline wise it's not very deep or interesting. It is always reliable for deep laughs, though.

My buddy buys them all. He was really into the 90s series and quit reading comics when that ended. He came back for Valiant. Start with this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1631400401/?tag=tcbcom-20

Collects the Death of Optimus Prime one-shot, More Than Meets The Eye #1-5, and Robots in Disguise #1-6. It's the two current series. They're both telling really long term stories at first and then there's a crossover. After that they got relaunched and a Windblade miniseries was released. That's where they're at now.

Last edited:
My buddy buys them all. He was really into the 90s series and quit reading comics when that ended. He came back for Valiant.

I never read any of the original stuff, but overall I'm enjoying the new series. Not really into Shadowman, but that's really the only title they put out that I haven't liked.

Start with this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1631400401/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Collects the Death of Optimus Prime one-shot, More Than Meets The Eye #1-5, and Robots in Disguise #1-6. It's the two current series. They're both telling really long term stories at first and then there's a crossover. After that they got relaunched and a Windblade miniseries was released. That's where they're at now.

Will do!

My buddy buys them all. He was really into the 90s series and quit reading comics when that ended. He came back for Valiant. Start with this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1631400401/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Collects the Death of Optimus Prime one-shot, More Than Meets The Eye #1-5, and Robots in Disguise #1-6. It's the two current series. They're both telling really long term stories at first and then there's a crossover. After that they got relaunched and a Windblade miniseries was released. That's where they're at now.

I figured I'd start at the very beginning of the IDW run and read the whole run. It's well over 200 comics so it'll take me a bit to get through them. I'll post my thoughts on them here in this thread as I go.

Last edited:
I figured I'd start at the very beginning of the IDW run and read the whole run. It's well over 200 comics so it'll take me a bit to get through them. I'll post my thoughts on them here in this thread as I go.

I'm warning you right now, some of it isn't very good. It starts to get better once Furman leaves really. Here's a reading order from Wikipedia. I recently read it in this order and it worked. Continuity is a bit screwy too. They tried to rectify that with Continuum but it didn't work very well. By the time you hit the on-going it gets really good. The current stuff is the best if you ask me.

1-4. Megatron Origin #1-4
5. Spotlight - Orion Pax
6. Spotlight - Blurr
7-18. Autocracy #1-12
19. Spotlight - Thundercracker
20-23. Monstrosity #1-12
24. Spotlight - Shockwave
25. Spotlight - Cliffjumper
26. Spotlight - Wheelie
27. Spotlight - Hot Rod
28. Spotlight - Sixshot
29. Spotlight - Ultra Magnus
30. Spotlight - Soundwave
31-34. Infiltration #0-3
35-37. Stormbringer #1-3
38-39. Infiltration #4-5
40. Stormbringer #4
41. Infiltration #6
42. Spotlight - Kup
43-46. New Avengers/Transformers #1-4
47-48. Escalation #1-2
49. Spotlight - Nightbeat
50-53. Escalation #3-6
54. Spotlight - Ramjet
55. Spotlight - Galvatron
56. Spotlight - Optimus Prime
57-60. Devastation #1-4
61. Spotlight - Blaster
62. Spotlight - Arcee
63-64. Devastation #5-6
65. Spotlight - Mirage
66. Spotlight - Grimlock
67-70. Revelation #1-4 (contains Spotlights on Cyclonus, Hardhead, Doubledealer & Sideswipe)
71-75. Maximum Dinobots #1-5
76. Spotlight - Drift
77. All Hail Megatron #15
78. Spotlight - Metroplex
79. Spotlight - Jazz
80-94. All Hail Megatron #1-14 & 16
95. Continuum
96. Spotlight - Prowl
97. Last Stand of the Wreckers #1
98. Transformers #1
99-100. Last Stand of the Wreckers #2-3
101. Transformers #2
102. Last Stand of the Wreckers #4
103-104. Transformers #3-4
105-108. Bumblebee #1-4
109-110. Transformers #5-6
111. Last Stand of the Wreckers #5
112-115. Ironhide #1-4
116-117. Transformers #7-8
118-121. Drift #1-4
122-123. Heart of Darkness #1-2
124-125. Infestation #1-2 (Transformers series)
126-130. Transformers #9-13
131. Spotlight - Megatron
132-138. Transformers #14-20
139-140. Heart of Darkness #3-4
141-149. Transformers #21-29
150. Spotlight - Bumblebee
151-152. Transformers #30-31
153. Transformers: Death of Optimus Prime
154-156. More Than Meets the Eye #1-3
157-159. Robots in Disguise #1-3
160-161. More Than Meets the Eye #4-5
162-163. Robots in Disguise #4-5
164. Spotlight - Trailcutter
165. Spotlight - Hoist
166. More Than Meets the Eye #6
167. More Than Meets the Eye Annual
168-169. More Than Meets the Eye #7-8
170-174. Robots in Disguise #6-10
175-179. More Than Meets the Eye #9-13
180. Robots in Disguise Annual
181-186. Robots in Disguise #11-16
187-188. More Than Meets the Eye #14-15
189-192. Robots in Disguise #17-20
193-199. More Than Meets the Eye #16-22
200-201. Robots in Disguise #21-22
202-213. Dark Cybertron #1-12 (contains Dark Cybertron #1, More Than Meets the Eye #23-27, Robots in Disguise #23-27 & Dark Cybertron Finale)
214-217. More Than Meets the Eye #28-31 (#30-31 unpublished)
218-221. Robots in Disguise #28-31 (#29-31 unpublished)
222-225. Windblade #1-4 (#3-4 unpublished)

Latest posts

Back