Lindsay Lohan : the next barbie doll

The Captain

Banned
After three years of declining sales Mattel is turning Barbie around. Parents, get ready for the Lindsay Lohan era.
In the past year teen queen Lindsay Lohan has gotten more press for her figure, her hard-partying ways and her dysfunctional family than she has for her acting. Not exactly a parent's dream role model. But this summer thousands of little girls will be clamoring, or so we presume, for the new Lindsay Lohan Barbie scheduled to hit toy stores in August.

The Lohan doll is part of Mattel's effort to breathe new life into Barbie, who has undergone few major overhauls since hitting the shelves in 1959. Between 2001 and 2004 Barbie sales fell 27%. According to former Mattel designer Carter Bryant, messing with Barbie had become so taboo at the company that he took his idea for dolls with big heads and dressed in hip-hop clothes to competitor MGA in 2000--where they became Barbie's first true rival, Bratz. Mattel is now suing Bryant for breach of contract.

Determined to turn the stale brand around, Mattel head Robert Eckert hired Timothy Kilpin from Disney to head marketing and design for the company's girls division in 2003. Kilpin had helped orchestrate one of the biggest character shakeups ever at Disney with the Disney Princess line. The new line combined classic princesses like Snow White and Sleeping Beauty with newer characters like Ariel from The Little Mermaid. The princesses appear together in videos and toy packages and last year generated $2 billion in retail sales.

Kilpin set out to make Barbie more relevant to today's girls, who usually grow out of Barbies by the time they're 8. "What Bratz did was reach older girls who had left the market," says Kilpin. "Our real challenge was creating a product line that's compelling across all age targets."

He divided the brand into age segments and made sure that almost every line had a story attached to it to encourage girls to buy more accessories and play sets. Girls from 3 to 5 can watch a newly released Fairytopia video and then buy dolls dressed as characters from the movie and plastic replicas of the sets. For older girls there's the now-single Barbie, whose 2004 breakup with Ken was overseen by Ben Affleck's publicist, Ken Sunshine. Barbie is a "contestant" on TV's American Idol, and she's hanging out with Hilary Duff, who appears in Mattel's commercials promoting Barbie's doll clothing line, Fashion Fever.

It's starting to work. For the first time since 1999 Barbie's U.S. sales were up last year, by 3%. Kilpin acknowledges Mattel still has a long way to go. As for the Lohan doll: "We find she's a very inspirational character for girls in a lot of ways," says Kilpin. Especially for girls who read the tabloids.

http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2005/0328/064a.html

E

Excelsior Club
I wonder why they didn't pick Paris Hilton...?

Caduceus

The Original Muffins Man
Ultimate Houde said:
Because, you can count Paris' ribs, but you can now do that with Lindsay as well.

They should have done Kate Bosworth dolls.

I'd buy em!
We know. Paris Hilton already has her own dolls doesn't she? Just about everybody does now.

ultimatedjf

Caduceus said:
We know. Paris Hilton already has her own dolls doesn't she? Just about everybody does now.

Yeah, like Mary Kate and Ashley, the girl who plays Hermione, the list goes on and on...... Wait, wtf. How do I know all this?! :shock:

moonmaster

Without him, all of you would be lost souls roamin
My concept sketch for the Lindsay Lohan doll:

untitled.jpg

LINDSAY!
Note the realistic proportions!

moonmaster

Ultimate Houde said:
She's blond now

You should fix that by having hair that can be removed

Or they could make more money be having a blonde variant.

E

Excelsior Club
moonmaster said:
My concept sketch for the Lindsay Lohan doll:

untitled.jpg

LINDSAY!
Note the realistic proportions!

You forgot the bag of coke. It's a new accessory.

ourchair

ultimatedjf said:
Yeah, like Mary Kate and Ashley, the girl who plays Hermione, the list goes on and on...... Wait, wtf. How do I know all this?! :shock:
Well, the Hermione doll is SO OBVIOUSLY BETTER because it's British. She can Expecto my Patronum anytime. :mrgreen:

moonmaster

ourchair said:
She can Expecto my Patronum anytime. :mrgreen:

You disgusting, disgusting person....

...And a much better one would've been: "I'd sure like to see her 'Chamber of Secrets'!"

thee great one

Master of TOG-fu.
I really want to say something about a magic wand right now. You know when I watch those movies I feel like a dirty old man. Espically the last one.

ultimatedjf

thee great one said:
I really want to say something about a magic wand right now. You know when I watch those movies I feel like a dirty old man. Espically the last one.

DEFINITELY, at the very beginning, under the covers. We all know what you're talking about, that scene. People just laughed or were nervous at the screening I saw.

I assume you do mean the movies, right?

Latest posts