Luke Cage (Netflix, 2016)

ALFRE WOODARD JOINS MARVEL'S "LUKE CAGE" NETFLIX SERIES

Minetta is "a powerful woman in local politics who will have an impact on Luke Cage's life." Though no further details have been provided about the role, the announcement speculates that Woodward's character will be Black Mariah. A frequent antagonist for both Cage and Iron Fist in the comics, Black Mariah is described as both a professional criminal and a drug dealer.

woodard-social-9ed67.jpg

Hmm... maybe we could end up seeing Iron Fist pop up first in here before his show? Since he and Luke Cage have Minetta as a common enemy, it's not a stretch of an idea that having her on could mean that.

ALFRE WOODARD JOINS MARVEL'S "LUKE CAGE" NETFLIX SERIES

Minetta is "a powerful woman in local politics who will have an impact on Luke Cage's life." Though no further details have been provided about the role, the announcement speculates that Woodward's character will be Black Mariah. A frequent antagonist for both Cage and Iron Fist in the comics, Black Mariah is described as both a professional criminal and a drug dealer.

woodard-social-9ed67.jpg

Hmm... maybe we could end up seeing Iron Fist pop up first in here before his show? Since he and Luke Cage have Minetta as a common enemy, it's not a stretch of an idea that having her on could mean that.

Not a stretch at all given Luke Cage is getting introduced on Jessica Jones, and Punisher introduced on Daredevil Season 2. Definitely think it's likely Danny will be introduced in the Luke Cage series.

Luke Cage confirmed for 2016, Cheo Hodari Coker named show runner

Coker has worked on SouthLAnd and Ray Donovan.

It's a safe bet we'll see Luke Cage filming by late summer/early fall, and it'll premiere in Spring, 2016 (possibly even in April, a year after Daredevil's premiere).

You don't think Daredevil season 2 will be coming out next April? I'm guessing Luke Cage will come out next fall, a year after Jessica Jones. But maybe it will come out in the summer and we'll end up getting Iron Fist or Jessica Jones season 2 in the fall. Three of these shows a year would be pretty fantastic.

You don't think Daredevil season 2 will be coming out next April? I'm guessing Luke Cage will come out next fall, a year after Jessica Jones. But maybe it will come out in the summer and we'll end up getting Iron Fist or Jessica Jones season 2 in the fall. Three of these shows a year would be pretty fantastic.

I posted that the end of March, which was a week and a half before Daredevil Season 1 even premiered, let alone the news of Season 2 happening and getting a firm idea of its release (likely April, 2016).

So at the time, I thought that. Since the news of them fast-tracking Daredevil Season 2, obviously I don't still think that. I do think we'll see Luke Cage in late 2016 (October/November?), especially following Luke's introduction in Jessica Jones later this year.

I think it'll work out like this:

Jessica Jones (Fall, 2015)
Daredevil - Season 2 (Spring, 2016)
Luke Cage (Fall, 2016)
Daredevil - Season 3 (Spring, 2017)
Iron Fist (Fall, 2017)
The Defenders (likely Spring or Fall 2018).

I know they said Defenders was originally slated for 2017, but I seriously doubt they'll make that with Luke Cage not even having started filming yet (though obviously filming soon) and Iron Fist not even cast yet. Plus, as said, Netflix is aiming at releasing one every six months, so that's two per year.

Obviously there's a huge potential for further spin-offs/expansions like a Punisher series (very likely after his intro in DD Season 2), Elektra, etc... and those are only potential spin offs of characters introduced in DD.

And of course there's always a likely possibility some of those characters will transition to the MCU film (likely in their own films, like a Daredevil or Jessica Jones or Punisher or Heroes for Hire film).

But yeah, check the date on that first post. That was almost 5 months ago.

:)

I'm still holding out that they're introducing modern Cage in Jessica Jones so they can introduce seventies Heroes For Hire in a blaxplotation/kung-fu craze throwback in Luke Cage.

Last edited:
I posted that the end of March, which was a week and a half before Daredevil Season 1 even premiered, let alone the news of Season 2 happening and getting a firm idea of its release (likely April, 2016).

So at the time, I thought that. Since the news of them fast-tracking Daredevil Season 2, obviously I don't still think that. I do think we'll see Luke Cage in late 2016 (October/November?), especially following Luke's introduction in Jessica Jones later this year.

I think it'll work out like this:

Jessica Jones (Fall, 2015)
Daredevil - Season 2 (Spring, 2016)
Luke Cage (Fall, 2016)
Daredevil - Season 3 (Spring, 2017)
Iron Fist (Fall, 2017)
The Defenders (likely Spring or Fall 2018).

I know they said Defenders was originally slated for 2017, but I seriously doubt they'll make that with Luke Cage not even having started filming yet (though obviously filming soon) and Iron Fist not even cast yet. Plus, as said, Netflix is aiming at releasing one every six months, so that's two per year.

Obviously there's a huge potential for further spin-offs/expansions like a Punisher series (very likely after his intro in DD Season 2), Elektra, etc... and those are only potential spin offs of characters introduced in DD.

And of course there's always a likely possibility some of those characters will transition to the MCU film (likely in their own films, like a Daredevil or Jessica Jones or Punisher or Heroes for Hire film).

But yeah, check the date on that first post. That was almost 5 months ago.

:)

Haha, oops.

Yes, I agree with you.

Haha, oops.

Yes, I agree with you.

No worries.

*internet high five*

It'll be interesting to see how they approach potential spin offs (likely candidates being Punisher and Elektra), whether that means holding off until after The Defenders (potentially another 2-3 years), or also possibly fast tracking those if those characters are well received? Be interesting to see how that plays out.

Apparently Luke Cage begins filming soon. The synopsis (this is subject to change, apparently):

"Luke Cage is a former gang member who is framed for a crime. In prison, he volunteers for a medical experiment that goes awry, giving him super strength and bulletproof skin. Using his newfound powers, Cage escapes and becomes a hero for hire. His archenemy is Willy Stryker, a former childhood friend from Harlem. The two committed petty crimes together, and both fell for the same woman, Reva Connors, which led to their eventual falling out. It was Stryker who framed Cage for a drug deal that sent him to prison." - Heroic Hollywood

Some are assuming that means Luke will have broken up with Jessica Jones and his love interest will be Reva, but I think it's obvious Reva will be only a former love interest and likely possible antagonist.

Nothing about this sounds like it takes place in the present why on earth would be people think that?

Nothing about this sounds like it takes place in the present why on earth would be people think that?

I doubt the entire series is an extended flashback or taking place at an earlier time.

People were assuming that about the Reva character because some people like to jump to conclusions and equate "old flame" with automatic rekindling.

Rosario Dawson. Claire Temole was Luke Cage's girlfriend at one point. More signs of the past. Also the filming name for the show is Tiara. Sweet Christmas here we come!

Marvel's Luke Cage casts its Misty Knight

Following today's announcement that Theo Rossi and Rosario Dawson will join star Mike Colter and Alfre Woodard in the series, Deadline reports that Simone Missick has joined the cast as Missy, "a woman with a strong sense of justice." The report also suggests that Missy is actually Misty Knight, who in the Marvel Comics source material frequently joins forces with Luke Cage and Iron Fist and served as a member of the Defenders in at least one incarnation of the team.

11935027_825789884186144_406655661494764751_n.jpg

Marvel's Luke Cage casts its Misty Knight

Following today's announcement that Theo Rossi and Rosario Dawson will join star Mike Colter and Alfre Woodard in the series, Deadline reports that Simone Missick has joined the cast as Missy, "a woman with a strong sense of justice." The report also suggests that Missy is actually Misty Knight, who in the Marvel Comics source material frequently joins forces with Luke Cage and Iron Fist and served as a member of the Defenders in at least one incarnation of the team.

11935027_825789884186144_406655661494764751_n.jpg

One step closer to Heroes for Hire. Alriiiiiiight!

Jist throwing this out there, but Justin Hartley for Iron Fist.

So yeah, based on all the casting announcements, this show will definitely be coming out in the Fall of 2016. It's on the same-ish production timeline as Jessica Jones was a year ago.

Better than Stephen Amell both acting and character. It is type casting though.

True... but we both know the talent and quality level of the Marvel Netflix shows are waaaaay beyond those of the CW shows. So ideally they should be looking at actors capable of both extensive martial arts training and with the ability to actually, well, act.

Latest posts

Back