Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 2)

"Addressing questions as to how 'What If...?' is expanding the MCU, Winderbaum said, "It's no coincidence that the show picks up right after 'Loki'…The multi-verse has erupted in every possible direction. 'What if…?' gives us a chance to explore that."" - Deadline

With that said, if the TVA scenes are set in October, 2023 most likely entirely before Tony's funeral, then it's probably safe to bet that the present day scenes featuring The Watcher will be set in October, 2023 as well.
Yeah and there are plenty of rumors flying around that Captain Carter will make the jump to live action in some form or another. So making What If animated was probably the safest way of introducing the world to the multiverse without having to make all those multiverse movies to explain the characters if and when they actually do show up in live action at some point.

Due to its connection to Hawkeye, I'm starting to think that the Black Widow post-credits scene takes place in November-December 2024. Otherwise, why wait so long to engage with Clint?

Due to its connection to Hawkeye, I'm starting to think that the Black Widow post-credits scene takes place in November-December 2024. Otherwise, why wait so long to engage with Clint?
IDK the weather is clearly spring. You can see how everything is in bloom. Ohio weather isn't like that in winter.

So it would seem that
this series picks up directly after the "Loki" finale as the multiverse expands and new timelines are created. I like how The Watcher is telling a story in the present day (Oct. 2023 most likely).

Forgive my ignorance, I must not be following this forum very closely. How did we land on the timeline going Endgame, Loki, What If, then WandaVision?

Second question. If you were showing this to someone who has never seen the MCU, nor cares to ask questions, and just wants the most logical progression of plot, would that same order stand for them? The multiverse's significance, the fake out in FFH, the unknown of WV, when Loki takes place, and now what if all seems to be explaining itself in a particular way, so I'm trying to help someone out where they don't have to ask questions and understand the flow of events, maintaining reveals, and in a way where it makes sense without looking anything up. Help me lol.

Forgive my ignorance, I must not be following this forum very closely. How did we land on the timeline going Endgame, Loki, What If, then WandaVision?

Second question. If you were showing this to someone who has never seen the MCU, nor cares to ask questions, and just wants the most logical progression of plot, would that same order stand for them? The multiverse's significance, the fake out in FFH, the unknown of WV, when Loki takes place, and now what if all seems to be explaining itself in a particular way, so I'm trying to help someone out where they don't have to ask questions and understand the flow of events, maintaining reveals, and in a way where it makes sense without looking anything up. Help me lol.
The Multiverse has always existed. The Sacred Timeline was just a collection of realities that followed the same baseline although they had a few differences, for example, the main divergence in Classic Loki's timeline was that he survived, howsoever, the Nexus Event was Classic Loki deciding to reveal he was alive when in the main timeline he had not survived.

The Sacred Timeline is a collection of realities that is isolated from the rest of the Multiverse, one that has always existed. Now, the TVA sees the branches in the order they happen, right? So a branch in 2018 can be before a branch in 1027, but for the inhabitants of said universe, the branch in 1027 has to happen before the branch in 2018, although the TVA senses it differently, to beings like Uatu, the branch in 1027 is sensed in said year, and he senses the branch of 2018, 900+ years later.

So the TVA was pruning some timelines, while unknowingly other branches were existing. Paradoxically, the death of He Who Remains and the "birth" of the Multiverse in "Loki" is the reason why beings like Uatu, Ancient One or Deke knew of the multiverse and how branches happened all the time that could spin a new universe into existence.

The fake Multiverse in FFH doesn't mean the Multiverse did not exist (explicitly when we have been told in Endgame), a character lied about coming from an existing place, the lie was where he came from, not that the place he came from was fake.

The Disney+ order is because Loki begins immediately after his escape from Endgame while WandaVision is set 3 weeks after Endgame. And What If...? comes after Loki because although for inhabitants like Uatu the branches had always existed, these branches were paradoxically created after the events of Loki.

Loki takes place immediately after Avengers: Endgame. Loki is about an alternate timeline Loki from that film.

What If...? is a direct consequence of Loki, so that's next.

WandaVision is 3 weeks after Avengers: Endgame.

The rest of the timeline can be watched chronologically as well.

The only issues are the after credits scenes of Ant-Man and the Wasp and Captain Marvel, which spoil certain films. Watch Ant-Man and the Wasp credits after Infinity War, and Captain Marvel credits after that.

The Multiverse has always existed. The Sacred Timeline was just a collection of realities that followed the same baseline although they had a few differences, for example, the main divergence in Classic Loki's timeline was that he survived, howsoever, the Nexus Event was Classic Loki deciding to reveal he was alive when in the main timeline he had not survived.

The Sacred Timeline is a collection of realities that is isolated from the rest of the Multiverse, one that has always existed. Now, the TVA sees the branches in the order they happen, right? So a branch in 2018 can be before a branch in 1027, but for the inhabitants of said universe, the branch in 1027 has to happen before the branch in 2018, although the TVA senses it differently, to beings like Uatu, the branch in 1027 is sensed in said year, and he senses the branch of 2018, 900+ years later.

So the TVA was pruning some timelines, while unknowingly other branches were existing. Paradoxically, the death of He Who Remains and the "birth" of the Multiverse in "Loki" is the reason why beings like Uatu, Ancient One or Deke knew of the multiverse and how branches happened all the time that could spin a new universe into existence.

The fake Multiverse in FFH doesn't mean the Multiverse did not exist (explicitly when we have been told in Endgame), a character lied about coming from an existing place, the lie was where he came from, not that the place he came from was fake.

The Disney+ order is because Loki begins immediately after his escape from Endgame while WandaVision is set 3 weeks after Endgame. And What If...? comes after Loki because although for inhabitants like Uatu the branches had always existed, these branches were paradoxically created after the events of Loki.
For sure, most of your post I completely got from watching. I guess what bugs me is how...early...that feels when other things that come after don't seem to be bothered by that. I guess it just feels off, if I were watching chronologically, the finale of Loki is like an event that just sits there...show after show, film after film, until they finally deal with it. Maybe it will make more sense when NWH and MOM come out, but it just feels like a major event that just hangs for a long time.

For sure, most of your post I completely got from watching. I guess what bugs me is how...early...that feels when other things that come after don't seem to be bothered by that. I guess it just feels off, if I were watching chronologically, the finale of Loki is like an event that just sits there...show after show, film after film, until they finally deal with it. Maybe it will make more sense when NWH and MOM come out, but it just feels like a major event that just hangs for a long time.
What If...? kinda deals with it too.

Loki takes place immediately after Avengers: Endgame. Loki is about an alternate timeline Loki from that film.

What If...? is a direct consequence of Loki, so that's next.

WandaVision is 3 weeks after Avengers: Endgame.

The rest of the timeline can be watched chronologically as well.

The only issues are the after credits scenes of Ant-Man and the Wasp and Captain Marvel, which spoil certain films. Watch Ant-Man and the Wasp credits after Infinity War, and Captain Marvel credits after that.
Oh I know, I have a guide to watch for those I mentioned in my second question. I move the Captain Marvel and Ant-Man and the Wasp scenes to later as I also do with the Black Widow scene. They all spoil major moments.

Who's to say it doesn't take some time for Strange or others in the Sacred Timeline to feel the repercussions of the new multiverse at a noticeable level.

The thing is that given that "new" Multiverse isn't "new" to MCU inhabitants because if after the death of He Who Remains branches occured in 1031 and 1947 and 2017 those branches occured in the past of the present MCU. So it would be stupid if he felt this "new" Multiverse when it always existed for him.

So the Marvel Multiverse encompassing all media (live action, comics, animation, etc) is essentially the Marvel Omniverse with numerous multiverse branches sometimes with their own universal branches?

SPOILERS FOR WHAT IF?

So, I'm curious about how you guys are viewing the inconsistency in the first episode of What if? So, in the episode The Watcher states that Peggy's decision to stay in the room is what "created a new universe." However, after her transformation, Red Skull steals the Tesseract from Norway. But in the original series of events, that happens over a year before the Super Soldier experiment happens, and since it happens before the decision that caused the branch there's no reason that moment would change.

Now, there would be two choices here. Either 'A' one could say this is wrong and put the Red Skull scene in 1942 where The First Avenger states that it takes place, but if you watch the episode with Red Skull having taken the Tesseract over a year ago, why does it take them so long to detect the gamma signature and why does it take Zola so long to get it back to Norway. Then there is 'B' where one could view this as a retcon of sorts and move the First Avenger scene to 1943 after Steve's transformation. I'm curious where everyone stands on this and what the logic is for either choice.

SPOILERS FOR WHAT IF?

So, I'm curious about how you guys are viewing the inconsistency in the first episode of What if? So, in the episode The Watcher states that Peggy's decision to stay in the room is what "created a new universe." However, after her transformation, Red Skull steals the Tesseract from Norway. But in the original series of events, that happens over a year before the Super Soldier experiment happens, and since it happens before the decision that caused the branch there's no reason that moment would change.

Now, there would be two choices here. Either 'A' one could say this is wrong and put the Red Skull scene in 1942 where The First Avenger states that it takes place, but if you watch the episode with Red Skull having taken the Tesseract over a year ago, why does it take them so long to detect the gamma signature and why does it take Zola so long to get it back to Norway. Then there is 'B' where one could view this as a retcon of sorts and move the First Avenger scene to 1943 after Steve's transformation. I'm curious where everyone stands on this and what the logic is for either choice.
It is clear to me that this first reality doesn't branch off from the MCU itself but from another reality similar to the MCU that existed in the Sacred Timeline. This MCU V.2 followed the same path of the established script of the Sacred Timeline despite Red Skull finding the Tesseract years later because Steve Rogers would still become Cap but Carter deciding to stay is another.

Just like in Classic Loki's reality, the divergence was that he survived to Thanos, but the Nexus event was breaking the established script: "Loki was not supposed to reveal to Thor he was alive because he did die". So the divergence of this Captain Carter timeline happened a long time ago but it still followed the same baseline than OG MCU, it branched off before 1943, but the Nexus Event was Carter staying down with Rogers. So we are seeing actual alternate universes in What If...? who had branched off before what the show defines as "point of divergence".

It is clear to me that this first reality doesn't branch off from the MCU itself but from another reality similar to the MCU that existed in the Sacred Timeline. This MCU V.2 followed the same path of the established script of the Sacred Timeline despite Red Skull finding the Tesseract years later because Steve Rogers would still become Cap but Carter deciding to stay is another.

Just like in Classic Loki's reality, the divergence was that he survived to Thanos, but the Nexus event was breaking the established script: "Loki was not supposed to reveal to Thor he was alive because he did die". So the divergence of this Captain Carter timeline happened a long time ago but it still followed the same baseline than OG MCU, it branched off before 1943, but the Nexus Event was Carter staying down with Rogers. So we are seeing actual alternate universes in What If...? who had branched off before what the show defines as "point of divergence".
Thanks for the response. I'm not sure that necessarily holds water though...Your Old Man Loki comparison isn't necessarily the same. Old Man Loki's universe was identical to Loki's up to his 'death,' OML lived out his life in isolation (either A. because that's how He Who Remains orchestrated it or B. Thanos' killing half of Asgard was a 'apocalypse' event and thus the deviation wasn't apparent to the TVA...or both?) Everything actually played out the way that it was supposed to until he decided to return and caused the Nexus event, so everything was the same UNTIL the Nexus event. However, in Captain Carter's reality, with Red Skull not finding the Tesseract until later there is a change BEFORE the Nexus event, which doesn't necessarily make sense given what we know.

SPOILERS FOR WHAT IF?

Was there anything that flat-out said that scene was 1943? Watching the episode, I thought it was flashing back to 1942 and the SSR just became aware of him in Norway with the Tesseract a year later.

Rewatching What If...? Uatu just confirms what I was saying "But in an another universe, a single choice created a whole new hero. [...] There. That's the moment that created a new universe."

We are seeing an alternate universe (to the MCU) branching off into another universe.

Latest posts

Back