Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 2)

Was there anything that flat-out said that scene was 1943? Watching the episode, I thought it was flashing back to 1942 and the SSR just became aware of him in Norway with the Tesseract a year later.
I mean, that seems to be the implication because Howard is talking about the gamma radiation from the clock tower, Flynn says that it must be "half way to Germany by now," and Zola is still traveling with it.

Rewatching What If...? Uatu just confirms what I was saying "But in an another universe, a single choice created a whole new hero. [...] There. That's the moment that created a new universe."

We are seeing an alternate universe (to the MCU) branching off into another universe.
I interpret that completely differently. He's identifying it as a new universe, and then referencing the starting point of that universe. I genuinely don't see any proof that this is not a branch stemming from the MCU timeline we know.

To begin with, Schmidt found the Tesseract 15 months after he originally did, that scene is not a flashback.

It's a different reality. So chalk up any inconsistencies to that.
I guess, but I reeeeeeeally don't like that. Like, if the whole premise of the show is going to be how one decision changes what we know, but then it's just like, "nevermind it's a different scenario even before that decision." It just feels cheap.

Also, I was looking into this whole thing and I have to say, even in the First Avenger it takes Red Skull and Zola, like, over a year to start experimenting with the Tesseract. Like, what was going on in that time?

I guess, but I reeeeeeeally don't like that. Like, if the whole premise of the show is going to be how one decision changes what we know, but then it's just like, "nevermind it's a different scenario even before that decision." It just feels cheap.

Also, I was looking into this whole thing and I have to say, even in the First Avenger it takes Red Skull and Zola, like, over a year to start experimenting with the Tesseract. Like, what was going on in that time?
It is evidently their intention is different to what they are truly doing. I wouldn't pay too much attention to timeline details in the upcoming episodes.

Since "What If...?" seems to be an anthology series, and not told in chronological order, I may re-arrange the order of the episodes once it's all out so it plays out in a linear fashion.

Since "What If...?" seems to be an anthology series, and not told in chronological order, I may re-arrange the order of the episodes once it's all out so it plays out in a linear fashion.
I think it's cleaner to just leave it in release order. Especially since it's all supposed to tie in together at the end. Just look at each episode as chronological due to Uatu. Out of the show's timelines, he looks at the Captain Carter one first, the T'Challa Star-Lord second, etc.

I think it's cleaner to just leave it in release order. Especially since it's all supposed to tie in together at the end. Just look at each episode as chronological due to Uatu. Out of the show's timelines, he looks at the Captain Carter one first, the T'Challa Star-Lord second, etc.
Good observation.

Updated with What If...? 1x02.

Should I place it in 2008, because of the subtitle saying it's 20 years after 1988, or in 2014, which is when GotG takes place?

Except for Morag suddenly being accessible 6 years to soon, but I don't think they really thought of that.
Eh, no different than Red Skull now finding the Tesseract in 1943. I feel like some of the details on the show we're just going to have to go with.

So, from someone who saw the movie tonight, it looks like the movie is in November since there's a reference to Day of the Dead just passing. They say it's seemingly months after Endgame, so I'm thinking November 2024. Which would place it right before Hawkeye and at least part of No Way Home.

EDIT: Apparently there's also the Qingming Festival, which is a Chinese Day of the Dead in April. It'd make more sense if this was the reference, so the movie may actually be April 2024 right around The Falcon & The Winter Soldier.

Last edited:
To begin with, Schmidt found the Tesseract 15 months after he originally did, that scene is not a flashback.
I was going to post a question related to timing of Red Skull finding the Tesseract in the film, but other media (that I admit I haven't read) probably confirms he found it before Steve was chosen. But considering the flow of Episode 2, is it not possible that scenes are out of order either in the film or the first episode to better pace out the story flow?

I was going to post a question related to timing of Red Skull finding the Tesseract in the film, but other media (that I admit I haven't read) probably confirms he found it before Steve was chosen. But considering the flow of Episode 2, is it not possible that scenes are out of order either in the film or the first episode to better pace out the story flow?
In the film, it opens in March 1942 specifically with the Red Skull in Norway and then skips a year or so so there's no way that's a flashback. As for in the What If…? episode, I rewatched it trying to justify how it could make sense but unless it took Red Skull's envoy a year+ to get back to Germany from Norway it seems there's no real way to justify it past an inconsequential mistake.

The new Eternals trailer mentions it's been five years since Infinity War.

Also, so this on Reddit regarding Shang-Chi: "Another clue to when exactly it happens: Shang Chi is wearing a high school shirt early on that says class of 2017. And him and Akwafina tell a story about them meeting in high school 10 years ago. So I'm guessing they met in 2015 and this one takes place end of 2024/early 2025."

Last edited:
After the trailer, I'm thinking Eternals is going to be Late 2023 after WandaVision. It fits with it still being 5 years since Infinity War, the weather matches, and it seems like it hasn't been too long since Endgame.

Latest posts

Back