Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 2)

Hello, just a question with the multiverse things: does the MCU Multiverse work the same way than the Arrowverse's multiverse?

I mean, what's the difference between the "Alternate Universe" of Loki and What If?

Loki 1x06: "For All Time. Always" (0:35:58 - 0:39:03) (Alternate Universe)

And

What If...? 1x02: "What If... T'Challa Became a Star-Lord?" (0:01:45 - 0:06:03) (Alternate Universe)

?

I thought the Kang statue in Loki episode 6 was a new timeline and not an alternate universe?

Also, if What If Episode 1 and What If Episode 2 aren't the same alternate universes, isn't it better to name them like "Captain Carter Alternate Universe" and "T'Challa Star-Lord Alternate Universe"?

Yes, alternate timelines are alternate universes.
Thanks, so it's not like Pre-Crisis Arrowverse Multiverse with Earth-1, Earth-2, Earth-X, Earth-38, when they could travel from Earth-1 to Earth-38 for example?

Or maybe it is, like the main MCU is Earth-199999 and every other universe are other numbers?

Thanks, so it's not like Pre-Crisis Arrowverse Multiverse with Earth-1, Earth-2, Earth-X, Earth-38, when they could travel from Earth-1 to Earth-38 for example?

Or maybe it is, like the main MCU is Earth-199999 and every other universe are other numbers.
The second one. All the timelines are different Earths in the multiverse.

So, for example, Loki's Escape branch from the Sacred Timeline from the MCU (Earth-199999) is the Sacred Timeline from another universe?
Well, kinda. Any alternate timeline is another universe, really. I don't know if I'd call it the sacred timeline of another universe though, mainly because I don't exactly know what you mean by it.

In the film, it opens in March 1942 specifically with the Red Skull in Norway and then skips a year or so so there's no way that's a flashback. As for in the What If…? episode, I rewatched it trying to justify how it could make sense but unless it took Red Skull's envoy a year+ to get back to Germany from Norway it seems there's no real way to justify it past an inconsequential mistake.
So, to add to this, when I was watching the First Avenger I noticed that Skull finds the Tesseract in March 1942 and then does absolutely nothing with it until the time jump takes us to Juneish 1943. It just seems strange that it takes them so long to do anything at all, that's like at least fourteen months. The First Avenger comic adaptation also does a weird thing where they move the World Exposition to May 1942, then they properly date Captain America saving the 107th in November of 1943. Now, the 1942 thing is clearly wrong, however it seems that this media as well as What If? sort of want to bridge that gap between the 1942 Tesseract finding and the rest of the movie. I personally think it flows better if the Tesseract is actually found in 1943, but I don't make the rules.

So, to add to this, when I was watching the First Avenger I noticed that Skull finds the Tesseract in March 1942 and then does absolutely nothing with it until the time jump takes us to Juneish 1943. It just seems strange that it takes them so long to do anything at all, that's like at least fourteen months. The First Avenger comic adaptation also does a weird thing where they move the World Exposition to May 1942, then they properly date Captain America saving the 107th in November of 1943. Now, the 1942 thing is clearly wrong, however it seems that this media as well as What If? sort of want to bridge that gap between the 1942 Tesseract finding and the rest of the movie. I personally think it flows better if the Tesseract is actually found in 1943, but I don't make the rules.
Well, 1x02 showed that the timelines of events in other universes can be different than the main MCU. If the same happens in other episodes, then I'll think about placing 1x01's Red Skull finding the Tesseract in 1943.

Well, 1x02 showed that the timelines of events in other universes can be different than the main MCU. If the same happens in other episodes, then I'll think about placing 1x01's Red Skull finding the Tesseract in
1x02 showed what 1x01 did and that is that everything is the same up until the Nexus event that causes the branch. So in 1x02 the Nexus event was Yondu making the decision to send Kraglin and Taserface (which we technically didn't see) and that is what caused differences. The same with 1x01 where everything was the same until Peggy made the decision to stay downstairs. That's why I think this change in What If is either a mistake or a retcon, because these are all branches off of the sacred timeline, so everything before the branch would happen IN the sacred timeline and then branch off.

So, the NWH trailer leaked. And a guy who leaked some details of the movie beforehand that matched with the leaked trailer says that Wong in the movie is heading to the tournament in Shang-Chi. Apparently, the movie is going to cover a huge amount of time. Starting with the ending of FFH in Summer 2024. It then goes into Peter's senior year and he gets the idea to visit Strange due to a Halloween decoration (which can be seen in the trailer). Earlier this week, I posted that Shang-Chi mentioned: "Day of the Dead" having just passed. So, if Peter visits Strange around Halloween where Wong's at the Sanctum leaving for the tournament, then it'll all add up. Placing almost the entirety of Shang-Chi in November 2024, between the events of NWH.

Throwing my 2 cents into the alternate timeline/ unvierse conversation. I'm not conviced the What If shows are different unvierses, my logic being that we have confirmation, no longer a spoiler, that previous Spider-Man movie characters are appearing in the MCU. These are completely different people, with different events, different New Yorks, though they share similarities, very different. Thw What If...? so far has the same people, just one small change, no different to what happened with AoS and Endgame with Thanos jumping forward in time and the stones being taken before it was all reverted.

My thought being that there is the sacred timeline within the MCU with lots of alrernate timelines. The other Spidermen and villains and the other Loki's are alternate universes.

Throwing my 2 cents into the alternate timeline/ unvierse conversation. I'm not conviced the What If shows are different unvierses, my logic being that we have confirmation, no longer a spoiler, that previous Spider-Man movie characters are appearing in the MCU. These are completely different people, with different events, different New Yorks, though they share similarities, very different. Thw What If...? so far has the same people, just one small change, no different to what happened with AoS and Endgame with Thanos jumping forward in time and the stones being taken before it was all reverted.

My thought being that there is the sacred timeline within the MCU with lots of alrernate timelines. The other Spidermen and villains and the other Loki's are alternate universes.
Theoretically though, couldn't the other Spiderman characters be from timelines that branched from the one sacred timeline? Like, maybe these timelines branched at some point before Peter was born, leading to these new New Yorks/Spiderman characters? I see what you are saying, but I don't think the inclusion of past Spiderman characters disproves the approach that What If? is taking.

Theoretically though, couldn't the other Spiderman characters be from timelines that branched from the one sacred timeline? Like, maybe these timelines branched at some point before Peter was born, leading to these new New Yorks/Spiderman characters? I see what you are saying, but I don't think the inclusion of past Spiderman characters disproves the approach that What If? is taking.
I guess I see it as a less extreme version of what Into the Spiderverse did. The other films aren't a simple deviation because of one small change or time travel. A different timeline is a butterfly flaps its wings effect, which is exactly how What If? is doing it, not the difference between something like the 616 universe and Ultimate universe

I guess I see it as a less extreme version of what Into the Spiderverse did. The other films aren't a simple deviation because of one small change or time travel. A different timeline is a butterfly flaps its wings effect, which is exactly how What If? is doing it, not the difference between something like the 616 universe and Ultimate universe
I see what you're saying, but with Loki and now What If? the whole premise of multiple timelines seems to rely on nexus events from the sacred timeline, if I'm wrong, cool, but I think creating a concept of "Well, different timelines can branch off of our timeline and be a new timeline, but also our timeline has multiple universes inside of it, so this person is from one of many universes within the sacred timeline, but this person is from a branch that separated from the sacred timeline because of a nexus event" will get incredibly confusing for a casual audience VERY fast. It seems they want to keep it accessible and that's the concept that What If? is trying to illustrate for us.

So, now that's out.

Will those films be on the timeline, or are we not considering those for this? Still a bit soon to really say yes, but you know what I mean.

So, now that's out.

Will those films be on the timeline, or are we not considering those for this? Still a bit soon to really say yes, but you know what I mean.

I think putting them in parenthesis like the What If..., Time Heist, etc. timelines makes sense. I'm curious to see how and if the Loki/What-If multiverse stuff will relate to No Way Home, given it seems Strange messing up the spell is the cause for the movie's multiversal plot.

Latest posts

Back