Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 2)

This canon?

Don't think so, both Bucky and Black Widow are in their comic costumes, and the Thor one also wasn't canon.

Leads me to believe the Jessica Jones one won't be canon, either.

Sousa has his cane, so the show will at least also take place after WWII.

I'm sure you guys have seen it, but more changes to release dates. Next Spider-Man is now set for Nov 5th 2021, Doctor Strange sequel March 5th 2022, Thor 4 now a week earlier, releaseing Feb 11th 2022. Other Sony titles moved also including Venom 2.

Release orders changed, be interesting to see how it effects the D+ shows. 2022 is looking stacked so I expect more delays.

I've just realized, Soura in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has semented every single show as undeniably canon (except maybe Inhumans) if you pay attention.

The films and Agent Carter without a doubt are in continuity. Agent Carter and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. are in continuity. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Netflix are in continuity. Netflix and Cloak & Dagger are in continuity. Cloak & Dagger and Runaways are in continuity. Inhumans ties to S.H.I.E.L.D. in a one way relationship, which is fine and canon but not enough for certain individuals.

This makes those guys even more annoying. You'll never win until a tv character is in a film, and even then they don't care.

I've just realized, Soura in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has semented every single show as undeniably canon (except maybe Inhumans) if you pay attention.

The films and Agent Carter without a doubt are in continuity. Agent Carter and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. are in continuity. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Netflix are in continuity. Netflix and Cloak & Dagger are in continuity. Cloak & Dagger and Runaways are in continuity. Inhumans ties to S.H.I.E.L.D. in a one way relationship, which is fine and canon but not enough for certain individuals.

This makes those guys even more annoying. You'll never win until a tv character is in a film, and even then they don't care.

The thing is, if someone uses the "Jarvis appears in Endgame, and therefore Agent Carter is canon" logic (instead of just accepting that everything is already canon), then for something to be seen as absolutely canon, you need to look at top-down references/cameos. So that means Agent Carter needs to reference any other tv show, for it to be canon. The only thing I've been able to find is the New York Bulletin (from Daredevil etc.) appearing in Agent Carter.

Just because one show makes a reference to another it doesn't make the entirety of everything that Marvel Television (except the X-Men stuff and cartoons or whatever) canon. One show can make a reference to another show/film whilst also contradicting something else. Like Runaways completely ignores the Snap and the time travel rules set up by Endgame yet still features Cloak and Dagger. The Agent Carter series is difficult to place with the One Shot yet features Edwin Jarvis who appears in Endgame. What I'm saying is that some MCU properties will happily use some aspects of other shows but that doesn't necessarily make everything Marvel has made canon to the MCU, just that certain aspects of some MCU properties are within the canon of a certain show. It's obvious that all the films are in the same canon, that's just undeniable. However I can see Runaways being its own thing and only taking some aspects of the MCU into its canon. For example, it's clear that they used the Agents of SHIELD and Doctor Strange canon yet ignored the Endgame one. To me, that makes Runaways separate to the rest of the MCU (or it at least being in the multiverse).

I hope I've explained it clearly. I realise that what I've said goes against what you guys have worked on here but I've been looking at this timeline for years and I can see that the situation involving canonicity is not the same as it was, say, 3 years ago. I feel like tying absolutely everything together is a lost cause which is going to become more apparent in the next few years because of the Disney+ stuff and now that Marvel TV is out of the picture.

The thing is, if someone uses the "Jarvis appears in Endgame, and therefore Agent Carter is canon" logic (instead of just accepting that everything is already canon), then for something to be seen as absolutely canon, you need to look at top-down references/cameos. So that means Agent Carter needs to reference any other tv show, for it to be canon. The only thing I've been able to find is the New York Bulletin (from Daredevil etc.) appearing in Agent Carter.
A musical cue for Hydra is heard in Agent Carter for what it's worth.

Just because one show makes a reference to another it doesn't make the entirety of everything that Marvel Television (except the X-Men stuff and cartoons or whatever) canon. One show can make a reference to another show/film whilst also contradicting something else. Like Runaways completely ignores the Snap and the time travel rules set up by Endgame yet still features Cloak and Dagger. The Agent Carter series is difficult to place with the One Shot yet features Edwin Jarvis who appears in Endgame. What I'm saying is that some MCU properties will happily use some aspects of other shows but that doesn't necessarily make everything Marvel has made canon to the MCU, just that certain aspects of some MCU properties are within the canon of a certain show. It's obvious that all the films are in the same canon, that's just undeniable. However I can see Runaways being its own thing and only taking some aspects of the MCU into its canon. For example, it's clear that they used the Agents of SHIELD and Doctor Strange canon yet ignored the Endgame one. To me, that makes Runaways separate to the rest of the MCU (or it at least being in the multiverse).

I hope I've explained it clearly. I realise that what I've said goes against what you guys have worked on here but I've been looking at this timeline for years and I can see that the situation involving canonicity is not the same as it was, say, 3 years ago. I feel like tying absolutely everything together is a lost cause which is going to become more apparent in the next few years because of the Disney+ stuff and now that Marvel TV is out of the picture.
Runaways didn't ignore the snap, it accidentally passed it. You can't blame a show for not following the timeline when there isn't a clear indication of it. The props are half assed, though, I'll give you that. Agent Carter shows a clip from the One Shot in the first episode. They're clearly intertwined.

Avengers: Endgame featured Edwin Jarvis from Agent Carter, therefore that show is 100% canon. Not just the character, but the same actor. The end of Season 1 features Arnim Zola, and the Hydra theme from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. plays. The Dark Force that was introduced on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. made an appearance on Agent Carter. It became the source of Cloaks powers on Cloak & Dagger.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. features Nitramene from Agent Carter. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. features a reference to the events of Daredevil, specifically a gang war, on a TV. It also features a Judas Bullet from Luke Cage, believe it or not. Micro from The Punisher helps out Coulson's S.H.I.E.L.D. in Season 2. The Dogs of Hell biker gang appeared in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Daredevil and The Punisher. WHiH Newsfront references the ATCU from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and direct events related to them.

Metro-General Hospital, which was introduced on Daredevil and used in other series, made an appearance in Doctor Strange and was mentioned in Avengers: Endgame, although it was a separate facility.

Inhumans references the Terragen in the water supply from the end of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 2.

Runaways features a news reporter from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and an obituary for an agent from the pilot episode. In season 3 of the show, it directly crosses over with Cloak & Dagger.

Cloak & Dagger references both the movies and the Netflix shows, as in one episode "keeping up with the Jones" becomes "keeping up with the Starks and the Rands" and O'Reilly was friends with Misty Night from Luke Cage. She also knew Ben Urich from Daredevil, as evidenced on season 2. Luke Cage was referenced.

The Netflix characters were considered for Avengers: Infinity War.

Black Panther and Luke Cage were both going to have Tilda Johnson/Deadly Nightshade, but once Marvel knew Luke Cage was going to use the character, Marvel Studios changed the name of the Black Panther version of the Character to Linda. Kevin Feige confirmed that Tina Minoru in Doctor Strange was just an Easter Egg, as not to conflict with Runaways, thus claiming that Runaways is canon. Captain Marvel uses the same quinjet set from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D..

Kevin Feige has stated Netflix as existing in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Marvel Studios to TV (in no particular order):
Maria Hill
Phil Coulson
Nick Fury
Jasper Sitwell
Lady Sif
Felix Blake
Matthew Ellis
Gideon Malick
Peggy Carter
Howard Stark
Edwin Jarvis (tie-in comic)
Anton Vanko (younger actor)
Tina Minoru (different actress)
Pat Kiernan (as himself)
Watcher Informant

TV to Marvel Studios:
Marcus Daniels/Blackout
Edwin Jarvis

Have I mentioned the Daredevil rumours and hints?

I also wouldn't worry about Charle Cox saying he's not in Spider-Man 3. Firstly, actors asked that are supposed to lie, and secondly, he said he had not heard the rumours. There's almost no way he hasn't heard them.

And if he's not in it, oh well, he's still the greatest Marvel Cinematic Universe character (in my opinion). If his story dies with Season 3, I'll be sad, but contempt. It was a fine ending.

I understand your reasoning, but it's clear that all shows are intended to share a continuity. The films are clearly intending to share continuity with Agent Carter. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S7 is now a partial sequel to Agent Carter. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S7 is almost certainly going to explain the lack of Infinity War consequences.

Last edited:
Runaways didn't ignore the snap, it accidentally passed it. You can't blame a show for not following the timeline when there isn't a clear indication of it. The props are half assed, though, I'll give you that. Agent Carter shows a clip from the One Shot in the first episode. They're clearly intertwined.

Avengers: Endgame featured Edwin Jarvis from Agent Carter, therefore that show is 100% canon. Not just the character, but the same actor. The end of Season 1 features Arnim Zola, and the Hydra theme from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. plays. The Dark Force that was introduced on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. made an appearance on Agent Carter. It became the source of Cloaks powers on Cloak & Dagger.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. features Nitramene from Agent Carter. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. features a reference to the events of Daredevil, specifically a gang war, on a TV. It also features a Judas Bullet from Luke Cage, believe it or not. Micro from The Punisher helps out Coulson's S.H.I.E.L.D. in Season 2. The Dogs of Hell biker gang appeared in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Daredevil and The Punisher. WHiH Newsfront references the ATCU from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and direct events related to them.

Metro-General Hospital, which was introduced on Daredevil and used in other series, made an appearance in Doctor Strange and was mentioned in Avengers: Endgame, although it was a separate facility.

Inhumans references the Terragen in the water supply from the end of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 2.

Runaways features a news reporter from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and an obituary for an agent from the pilot episode. In season 3 of the show, it directly crosses over with Cloak & Dagger.

Cloak & Dagger references both the movies and the Netflix shows, as in one episode "keeping up with the Jones" becomes "keeping up with the Starks and the Rands" and O'Reilly was friends with Misty Night from Luke Cage. She also knew Ben Urich from Daredevil, as evidenced on season 2. Luke Cage was referenced.

The Netflix characters were considered for Avengers: Infinity War.

Black Panther and Luke Cage were both going to have Tilda Johnson/Deadly Nightshade, but once Marvel knew Luke Cage was going to use the character, Marvel Studios changed the name of the Black Panther version of the Character to Linda. Kevin Feige confirmed that Tina Minoru in Doctor Strange was just an Easter Egg, as not to conflict with Runaways, thus claiming that Runaways is canon. Captain Marvel uses the same quinjet set from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D..

Kevin Feige has stated Netflix as existing in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Marvel Studios to TV (in no particular order):
Maria Hill
Phil Coulson
Nick Fury
Jasper Sitwell
Lady Sif
Felix Blake
Matthew Ellis
Gideon Malick
Peggy Carter
Howard Stark
Edwin Jarvis (tie-in comic)
Anton Vanko (younger actor)
Tina Minoru (different actress)
Pat Kiernan (as himself)
Watcher Informant

TV to Marvel Studios:
Marcus Daniels/Blackout
Edwin Jarvis

Have I mentioned the Daredevil rumours and hints?

I also wouldn't worry about Charle Cox saying he's not in Spider-Man 3. Firstly, actors asked that are supposed to lie, and secondly, he said he had not heard the rumours. There's almost no way he hasn't heard them.

And if he's not in it, oh well, he's still the greatest Marvel Cinematic Universe character.

I understand your reasoning, but it's clear that all shows are intended to share a continuity. The films are clearly intending to share continuity with Agent Carter. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S7 is now a partial sequel to Agent Carter. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S7 is almost certainly going to explain the lack of Infinity War consequences.

Charlie Cox thought there was news that Daredevil would be in Spider-Man 3. Apparently it was just a rumor everywhere and he immediately realized that he didn't know about it, he wasn't called, so it sure wasn't planned with him. That doesn't mean they won't be called in a few months to come on set.

Charlie Cox thought there was news that Daredevil would be in Spider-Man 3. Apparently it was just a rumor everywhere and he immediately realized that he didn't know about it, he wasn't called, so it sure wasn't planned with him. That doesn't mean they won't be called in a few months to come on set.
It's just a possibility, of course. Maybe 35% chance? 45% chance, maybe, with everything going for it.

It makes sense, but it's not a big deal if it doesn't happen.

Shang Chi could take place in the year 2020. (Infinity War Snap 2018 -> 2020)
Ironman cameo?

Shang Chi set video and photos - 2020 posters
It's not impossible. Certainly interesting to see how that would be handled, especially considering The Punisher S2 (epilogue), Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S6 (assuming S7 doesn't change things) and Runaways S3 being in that time period. If it's a couple comments and not much dispite being in a depressing time, might help excuse those very slightly.

Another possibility is that it's absolutely crucial to the story. Would they really make a movie that is intertwined like that, with little leeway? I'd definitely be interested in that, particularly the plot.

Another possibility is it's a flashback. That would seem likely to me. It may also be another Runaways S3 where the props are completely wrong, or completely unrelated to the actual film, or it's a very old poster.

Last edited:
It's not impossible. Certainly interesting to see how that would be handled, especially considering The Punisher S2 (epilogue), Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S6 (assuming S7 doesn't change things) and Runaways S3 being in that time period. If it's a couple comments and not much dispite being in a depressing time, might help excuse those very slightly.

Another possibility is that it's absolutely crucial to the story. Would they really make a movie that is intertwined like that, with little leeway? I'd definitely be interested in that, particularly the plot.

Another possibility is it's a flashback. That would seem likely to me. It may also be another Runaways S3 where the props are completely wrong, or completely unrelated to the actual film, or it's a very old poster.
It could easily just be a random poster not related to the shoot (we are in the year 2020) that doesn't even show in the actual movie.

Latest posts

Back