Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 2)

Hey so, what do you guys think.about the whole president issue in the MCU? They mention Obama in Luke Cage, Runaways and one of Cap's books in Winter Soldier. Then Hillary Clinton is mentioned in Runaways. Of course, the MCU has President Ellis, seen in AoS, Iron Man 3 and WHiH segments. I like the fan theory that Obama was president for one term from 08-12, then he lost to Ellis in 2012, due to the "incident". Then I think Ellis went up against Clinton in 2016 and beat her as well. I still haven't seen Runaways (either season), but I guess some people in it are upset that Clinton lost. I guess it's just because they wanted a woman president.

I have to rewatch Iron Man 3 to see how everything fits with Killian's dialouge and everything. For you UK guys, the US presidential term is 4 years, with a maximum of 8 years if re-elected. I have no idea how elections/ King and Queen stuff work outside of the US myself.

There is a YOUTUBE VIDEO which goes over all the relevant information related to this. The only wrinkle is the 'obama administration' comment in Runaways which I have stated on many other sites was because Runaways was never actually stated as being MCU...until it was...one month before season 1 premiered.

There is a YOUTUBE VIDEO which goes over all the relevant information related to this. The only wrinkle is the 'obama administration' comment in Runaways which I have stated on many other sites was because Runaways was never actually stated as being MCU...until it was...one month before season 1 premiered.
All easily explained. Obama was president from 2008 to 2012. When Killian talks about "dodging the president's stance" he doesnt say WHICH president. He could have just meant "in general". All presidents would likely be against Killian's weapons stuff.

January, 2012
Obama sings the Al Green song during his campain, while campaigning against Ellis.

May, 2012
The Chitauri invasion happens. This, in addition to implications in regards to the Roxxon oil spill that happened during Obama's administration has him shaken. He's has not prepared himself for an alien invasion.

November 6, 2012
Presidenial election. Ellis wins against Obama. Obama says, "Hey man, you already won this thing. You're prepared for aliens and stuff? Not me man, I'm out. The office is all yours." Due to the circumstances, Obama is allowed to step down and leave office a few months early.

November 13, 2012 (one week after the election)
The media reports that Obama has stepped down slightly early and has allowed Ellis to take his place.

State of the Union address
Obama: "Hello, American citizens. In 2001, there was a deadly terrorist attack in New York City. A few months ago, New York City was attacked again. By aliens, space aliens! Luckily, a secret organization, called The Avengers, was able to thwart thier plans and send them packing. I apologize that I was ill-prepared for the Chitauri invasion. Human terrorists are one thing, but terrorists from outer space? I'm sorry, I'm still trying to wrap my brain around that. Last week, the great people of The United States of America have elected Matthew Ellis in my place. We've been talking, and we have come to the conclusion that President Elect Ellis would be far more suited to handle any potential further otherworldly threats, with the help of The Avengers. With great sadness, I hope that the people of this great nation will understand, that today will be my final day in office. Any questions you may have will be addressed to and responded by our new president. Ladies and gentlemen, I now present to you, President Matthew Ellis."

Maybe he stays around for a bit to pack up and fill Ellis in on what's been going on. Maybe Ellis witnessed the Captain Marvel events, and from that day forward, devoted his life to understanding superheroes and thier foes. Hey, there's never been a real life alien invasion, so this is all plausable.

December 2012 to January, 2013
Ellis has been president for a little over a month now. He ends up getting kidnapped by Killian during the events of Iron Man 3. Again, I need to watch the movie again to see exactly what transpires in regards to mentions of presidency.

November, 2016
Ellis runs against Hillary Clinton and wins his second term. Ellis is, and has always been a great, well respected president. However, some people want to make history, and elect our first female president. Hey, we had a black guy, so why not a woman now? (That's the only reason I personally voted for Obama, wrong reasons be damned. I don't care about politics at all, but I was tired of seeing nothing but white dudes as president, and I am white myself.) For mainly this reason (still no female president), some of the Runaways are upset. (By the way, I still haven't watched any episodes of Runaways.)

Last edited:
All easily explained. Obama was president from 2008 to 2012. When Killian talks about "dodging the president's stance" he doesnt say WHICH president. He could have just meant "in general". All presidents would likely be against Killian's weapons stuff.

January, 2012
Obama sings the Al Green song during his campain, while campaigning against Ellis.

May, 2012
The Chitauri invasion happens. This, in addition to implications in regards to the Roxxon oil spill that happened during Obama's administration has him shaken. He's has not prepared himself for an alien invasion.

November 6, 2012
Presidenial election. Ellis wins against Obama. Obama says, "Hey man, you already won this thing. You're prepared for aliens and stuff? Not me man, I'm out. The office is all yours." Due to the circumstances, Obama is allowed to step down and leave office a few months early. Maybe he stays around for a bit to pack up and fill Ellis in on what's been going on. Maybe Ellis witnessed the Captain Marvel events, and from that day forward, devoted his life to understanding superheroes and thier foes. Hey, there's never been a real life alien invasion, so this is all plausable.

December 2012 to January, 2013
Ellis has been president for a little over a month now. He ends up getting kidnapped by Killian during the events of Iron Man 3. Again, I need to watch the movie again to see exactly what transpires in regards to mentions of presidency.

November, 2016
Ellis runs against Hillary Clinton and wins his second term. Ellis is, and has always been a great, well respected president. However, some people want to make history, and elect our first female president. Hey, we had a black guy, so why not a woman now? (That's the only reason I personally voted for Obama, wrong reasons be damned. I don't care about politics at all, but I was tired of seeing nothing but white dudes as president, and I am white myself.) For mainly this reason (still no female president), some of the Runaways are upset. (By the way, I still haven't watched any episodes of Runaways.)
He literally states in the video why Ellis was president from 2008-2012...Iron Man 3 takes place in December 2012, and a president isn't 'sworn in' until January 2013. Even if someone else won the election the next 4 years, Ellis had to be the 'sitting president' until at least January 2013, which means he was president from 2008-2012, won re-election and was the 'sitting president' until January 2017.

Or the quote from 'President Ellis' in the Cap exhibit after his return in 2011.

I have discussed this with many people and it seems people 'REALLY WANT' Obama to exist as president in the MCU and toss the sitting president information to the wind just to make it work. Is it that hard to believe that in a work of fiction, a fictional president is the president and Obama wasn't?

Last edited:
He literally states in the video why Ellis was president from 2008-2012...Iron Man 3 takes place in December 2012, and a president isn't 'sworn in' until January 2013. Even if someone else won the election the next 4 years, Ellis had to be the 'sitting president' until at least January 2013, which means he was president from 2008-2012, won re-election and was the 'sitting president' until January 2017.

Or the quote from 'President Ellis' in the Cap exhibit after his return in 2011.

I have discussed this with many people and it seems people 'REALLY WANT' Obama to exist as president in the MCU and toss the sitting president information to the wind just to make it work. Is it that hard to believe that in a work of fiction, a fictional president is the president and Obama wasn't?

I understand what you're saying, but given the circumstances, something that's NEVER happened in the history of the universe (the alien invasion), I'm sure the government could make an exception and let Obama leave 2 months early. It's not that far-fetched. If Luke Cage and Runaways never mentioned Clinton or Obama, no, I wouldn't want them in the MCU. However, what's done is done, and this is the best way to make everything work. You can't base everything 100% the same as real life, since we don't have superpowers or aliens. Is it that hard to believe that a "sitting president" can move to "president" two months early? Even when there were aliens attacking the Earth, and super powers exist?

And Cap came back in April of 2012 (while Ellis was campaigning in my theory), so my theory still works. Plus, who's to say they added that quote/ built that Smithsonian tribute AS SOON AS CAP WAS UNFROZEN? It probably took a few months/ years. Besides all that, the whole purpose of this timeline is to make everything fit together in a way that makes sense. There are lots of gaps we have to fill in ourselves. Other than the 2 months early deal, this way works PERFECTLY. And IMO, based on the fact that the MCU has aliens and powered humans, works 100%.

April
The Avengers - Prelude: Fury's Big Week #4, "Chapter 8" (pg. 11)
Captain America - The First Avenger Chapter 1 (0:00:00 - 0:03:38 )
The Avengers - Prelude: Fury's Big Week #4, "Chapter 8" (pg. 12-20)
Captain America - The First Avenger Chapter 16 (1:50:38 - 1:53:37)
Captain America - The First Avenger #2 (pg. 18-20)

Last edited:
I understand what you're saying, but given the circumstances, something that's NEVER happened in the history of the universe (the alien invasion), I'm sure the government could make an exception and let Obama leave 2 months early. It's not that far-fetched. If Luke Cage and Runaways never mentioned Clinton or Obama, no, I wouldn't want them in the MCU. However, what's done is done, and this is the best way to make everything work. You can't base everything 100% the same as real life, since we don't have superpowers or aliens. Is it that hard to believe that a "sitting president" can move to "president" two months early? Even when there were aliens attacking the Earth, and super powers exist?

And Cap came back in April of 2012 (while Ellis was campaigning in my theory), so my theory still works. Plus, who's to say they added that quote/ built that Smithsonian tribute AS SOON AS CAP WAS UNFROZEN? It probably took a few months/ years.

See what I mean? It MUST work for you for some reason. I really don't get it, but there are those out there that believe that Obama MUST be president in some form or fashion. It's just handwaving to make it work. The link covers Luke Cage references too (did you actually watch it?), the only thing it doesn't cover is Runaways, of which I have already stated why it slipped into the MCU.

You originally asked what we on here thought of the issue. Ok, here it goes. It isn't an issue because there is no issue. Ellis was president for both terms, and Obama at least 'ran for president'. There is enough evidence to support this in both the movies and the shows.

See what I mean? It MUST work for you for some reason. I really don't get it, but there are those out there that believe that Obama MUST be president in some form or fashion. It's just handwaving to make it work. The link covers Luke Cage references too (did you actually watch it?), the only thing it doesn't cover is Runaways, of which I have already stated why it slipped into the MCU.

You originally asked what we on here thought of the issue. Ok, here it goes. It isn't an issue because there is no issue. Ellis was president for both terms, and Obama at least 'ran for president'. There is enough evidence to support this in both the movies and the shows.

What about the "issue" of Matt Ellis being president for over 8 years? Isn't he still pres in the MCU?

Yes I did watch that video, and Luke Cage season 1 (just started on season 2). I know they don't say PRESIDENT Obama. But what about Runaways, where they say something about "you haven't had a date since the Obama administration "? And the Clinton references (which I guess could work either way). Doesn't matter if Runaways was an MCU afterthought. It's in the MCU now. The whole purpose of this timeline is to make everything fit better together. I'm American, and I understand (somewhat, I don't really care) how our elections work. Who gives a rat's ass about the whole sitting president thing? Like I said, their world has aliens, time travel, super heroes, magic dimensions, etc. That's all believeable, but a president leaving SLIGHTLY before his time is "inconceivable"? (Wallace Shawn voice)

Last edited:
What about the "issue" of Matt Ellis being president for over 8 years? Isn't he still pres in the MCU?

Yes I did watch that video, and Luke Cage season 1 (just started on season 2). I know they don't say PRESIDENT Obama. But what about Runaways, where they say something about "you haven't had a date since the Obama administration "? And the Clinton references (which I guess could work either way). Doesn't matter if Runaways was an MCU afterthought. It's in the MCU now. The whole purpose of this timeline is to make everything fit better together. I'm American, and I understand (somewhat, I don't really care) how our elections work. Who gives a rat's ass about the whole sitting president thing? Like I said, their world has aliens, time travel, super heroes, magic dimensions, etc. That's all believeable, but a present leaving SLIGHTLY before his time is "inconceivable"? (Wallace Shawn voice)

The last time he was physically seen on screen was the March 21, 2016 according to this guide, which is well within his second term. Former Presidents are still referred to as Mr President or President Whomever after they have left office, so mentions of him beyond that point are acceptable.

But you have clearly made up your mind about who you want as the presidents in your head canon, even though you asked our thoughts, so any further debate is pointless. I apologize for engaging you in this. Have a good day.

The last time he was physically seen on screen was the March 21, 2016 according to this guide, which is well within his second term. Former Presidents are still referred to as Mr President or President Whomever after they have left office, so mentions of him beyond that point are acceptable.

But you have clearly made up your mind about who you want as the presidents in your head canon, even though you asked our thoughts, so any further debate is pointless. I apologize for engaging you in this. Have a good day.
No, no, I appreciate the discussion. It seems we both have made up our minds. That's what forums are all about. To discuss things that we may have differing opinons on. Your (and the guy who made the video) only real problem is the whole "sitting president" issue, which, in my opinion is really not a big deal at all, and I've found a way to make it work. At least joshjodalton and Pro Bot agree with me on at least some level. It's ok to have differing opinions and all that. I appreciate your feedback, and it's helped me figure out things I need to be the way I need them to be in my own head canon. I just have to have everything fit together neatly like a puzzle.

Also in my MCU head canon, due to Ed Norton Banner's experimentation with Sterns, he lost both of his original Hulk and human forms and became Mark Ruffalo Banner and the Hulk we see today. Also, Terrance Howard's Rhodey was in a horrible car accident that disfigured his face. He had to have radical reconstructive surgery and ended up looking like Don Cheadle. Then he lost the use of his legs to Vision years later. Poor guy. Can't catch a break! I even made fan videos of both of these "incidents". All of the other cast changes can be chalked up to age (Howard Stark) and not that noticeable (Fandral).

Still trying to figure out some head canon to make Logan come before the future part of Days of Future Past. Like this would have happened if Logan was unsuccessful in 1973. Sort of like the Zelda split timelines. I like my superhero movies to have warm fuzzy endings.

Are we going to set a closing date for the Punisher/ DD vote before making it official on the timeline? Seems like a fair way to settle the harder to place stuff. I imagine after Phase 3 everything should be set in stone, allowing for all follow up shows/ films to have no effect on the placements which will make things easier.

Last edited:
Are we going to set a closing date for the Punisher/ DD vote before making it official on the timeline? Seems like a fair way to settle the harder to place stuff. I imagine after Phase 4 everything should be set in stone, allowing for all follow up shows/ films to have no effect on the placements which will make things easier.

We know for sure that Daredevil S3 and Punisher S2 are after Luke Cage S2.

I guess we'll just have to see with Jessica Jones S3. There was a set photo that had a Halloween bag, so that seems to be a clue of the month that particular season is set in. (October 2017...or 2018).

Between Luke Cage Season 2 and some references in Agents of SHIELDs last season, it seems Trump is president.

If not Trump, then definitely his MCU counterpart. But yeah, I agree.

As for the Obama debate, I think the only way to fit him in is to say MCU Obama is a little older than real Obama. Thus he entered politics earlier in the MCU and ran against W instead of Kerry in '04 and won.

But I'm firmly in the camp of Ellis winning in '08 and completing two full terms.

Are we going to set a closing date for the Punisher/ DD vote before making it official on the timeline? Seems like a fair way to settle the harder to place stuff. I imagine after Phase 4 everything should be set in stone, allowing for all follow up shows/ films to have no effect on the placements which will make things easier.

I was thinking/ hoping that as well, but did you mean phase 3? Because I think everything will be set in stone after End Game. I mean it is End game, plus there's all this build up to the first 22 movies being all one complete saga. Phase 1: Iron Man - Avengers. Phase 2: Iron Man 3 - Ant Man. Phase 3: Civil War - Endgame.

Between Luke Cage Season 2 and some references in Agents of SHIELDs last season, it seems Trump is president.

Just because of the "Make America Great Again?" "alternative facts" and "I wish Hilliary won"? Nah, unless they mention him by name, he doesn't own those phrases. I can believe that Trump ran, but never made it to the "finals" or whatever it's called. I hate politics and rarely vote, nor care about what happens in DC. (Washington, not comics).

But as far as Obama, I'm still with the 2008-2012, stepping out 2 months early business, because the alien stuff scared him off, or he got injured/ impeached for incompetence with the aliens and Roxxon spill.

I guess it all depends on weather or not Ellis is shown to still be president now (2016-2020).

They directly referenced him calling Luke "Luke Trump".

Hmm. I just finished Agents of SHIELD season 4 and the first 2 episodes of Luke Cage season 2. So I haven't seen that yet. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll look out for those.

I was thinking/ hoping that as well, but did you mean phase 3? Because I think everything will be set in stone after End Game.

I did! Edited to fix :) Should it be official at the end of the month for the vote?

Are we going to set a closing date for the Punisher/ DD vote before making it official on the timeline? Seems like a fair way to settle the harder to place stuff. I imagine after Phase 3 everything should be set in stone, allowing for all follow up shows/ films to have no effect on the placements which will make things easier.
I think I'm going with Selfishmisery's timeline. It's unfortunately complicated, but it's the best we got in my opinion.

One issue that we also have regarding the President is that the WHIH news reports confirm that General Ross was nominated by President Ellis for the Secretary of State position, which he still held as of 2018 (Avengers: Infinity War).

The position of Secretary of State is a cabinet position nominated by the President once they're sworn in, unless the previous SoS stepped down during the term, ie, Clinton during Obama's administration. That means if someone else replaced Ellis in 2016, then that President would have replaced Ross with someone new.

Latest posts

Back