Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 2)

The position of Secretary of State is a cabinet position nominated by the President once they're sworn in, unless the previous SoS stepped down during the term, ie, Clinton during Obama's administration. That means if someone else replaced Ellis in 2016, then that President would have replaced Ross with someone new.

Y'know, as much as I try to stay brushed up on politics, I cant think of any real world examples of this off the top of my head BUT I imagine that could easily be looked over if MCU Trump just decided "screw it, I'll keep the same guy. One less thing for me to worry about."

Real world Trump has surrounded himself with hawkish cabinet picks, and Ross fits the bill if you ask me.

Y'know, as much as I try to stay brushed up on politics, I cant think of any real world examples of this off the top of my head BUT I imagine that could easily be looked over if MCU Trump just decided "screw it, I'll keep the same guy. One less thing for me to worry about."

Real world Trump has surrounded himself with hawkish cabinet picks, and Ross fits the bill if you ask me.

I still need to watch Luke season 2, but I'm hoping it can work that Trump is just some rich weirdo that was nominated for president (whatever it's called before they narrow it down to one of each party), but lost the nomination to Ellis, who ran, and won, against Hillary Clinton.

Last edited:
One issue that we also have regarding the President is that the WHIH news reports confirm that General Ross was nominated by President Ellis for the Secretary of State position, which he still held as of 2018 (Avengers: Infinity War).

The position of Secretary of State is a cabinet position nominated by the President once they're sworn in, unless the previous SoS stepped down during the term, ie, Clinton during Obama's administration. That means if someone else replaced Ellis in 2016, then that President would have replaced Ross with someone new.

Not true. Presidents have been known to retain cabinet heads from the previous administration. It's very uncommon in these hyper-partisan times, but it's happened as recently as Obama keeping the Bush nominated Robert Gates on as his Secretary of Defense.

It was more common in the past, especially when the newly elected President was the same party as his predecessor.

In my mind, Ellis was a Republican. So not at all far fetched for "Trump" to keep a cabinet head or two. And like y'all pointed out, Trump would be all about Ross' tough guy shtick.

I still need to watch Luke season 2, but I'm hoping it can work that Trump is just some rich weirdo that was nominated for president (whatever it's called before they narrow it down to one of each party), but lost the nomination to Ellis, who ran, and won, against Hillary Clinton.
It's probably loose enough that it could be either/or. At the end of the day it may come down to what the movies decide to end up doing (if they even end up touching it.) Right now though, between AoS/Luke Cage/Runaways all having references and parallels to real world it seems like a safe enough bet.

Someone made a fake Emergency Broadcast Alert warning (like the one in Ant Man and the Wasp) mentioning President Ellis. If the president (whomever he may be, but my money's on Ellis, if they show anyone) survived the snap, I wonder if they'll show him in the aftermath

We know for sure that Daredevil S3 and Punisher S2 are after Luke Cage S2.

I guess we'll just have to see with Jessica Jones S3. There was a set photo that had a Halloween bag, so that seems to be a clue of the month that particular season is set in. (October 2017...or 2018).
Yeah, I'll use Jessica Jones season 3 to determine how I place the Netflix seasons in the timeline.

-If it takes place in October 2017, then I'll place Daredevil season 3 in early 2017. Since it's set after Luke Cage season 2, which takes place in August-September, I'll have to change the placement of The Defenders to earlier in 2016.

-If it takes place in October 2018, then I may leave the seasons where they are.

-If it doesn't have references to the other Netflix seasons, then it doesn't really matter if it's set in 2017 or 2018.

Preferably with as many of the same actors/ actresses they can keep.

Yeah, I'll use Jessica Jones season 3 to determine how I place the Netflix seasons in the timeline.

-If it takes place in October 2017, then I'll place Daredevil season 3 in early 2017. Since it's set after Luke Cage season 2, which takes place in August-September, I'll have to change the placement of The Defenders to earlier in 2016.

-If it takes place in October 2018, then I may leave the seasons where they are.

-If it doesn't have references to the other Netflix seasons, then it doesn't really matter if it's set in 2017 or 2018.

I still think anything that comes after End Game should be treated as the end of an era, and begin a whole new timeline. That's basically what Marvel wants anyway.

I still think anything that comes after End Game should be treated as the end of an era, and begin a whole new timeline. That's basically what Marvel wants anyway.

I mean. If it's still the same universe... then it's still the MCU. Would flashbacks go into the new timeline or this timeline? After Endgame seems to still be a continuation of the universe. I guess I just don't understand your reasoning?

I guess we'll have to wait until we see Endgame, but they say that going forward, it's going to be different. Things won't be as interconnected anymore. I just think it's time to close the book on MCU- Chapter 1, and start Chapter 2. End Game is, maybe just for me, well.. the end. I think that everything after that should start at the beginning, so to speak. As far as flashbacks, I'm not sure how to handle them yet.

Honestly, if they really start killing/ replacing characters, I may be done with Marvel all together. It's been a good run.

I guess we'll have to wait until we see Endgame, but they say that going forward, it's going to be different. Things won't be as interconnected anymore. I just think it's time to close the book on MCU- Chapter 1, and start Chapter 2. End Game is, maybe just for me, well.. the end. I think that everything after that should start at the beginning, so to speak. As far as flashbacks, I'm not sure how to handle them yet.

Honestly, if they really start killing/ replacing characters, I may be done with Marvel all together. It's been a good run.
Woah, chill for now. It's still the same timeline. It's still Earth-199999. Look at Spider-Man: Far From Home. Let's just wait for now.

Many of the existing characters and series are continuing in the next phase so I would say continue the existing timeline. Perhaps start a new thread and grey out everything worked out here, I think it's likely that once placements have been agreed for everything before the next phase they will be set in stone and very unlikely to change.
Same can be done for the rare chance an entirely new timeline is created if things go a bit pear shaped in Endgame

One thing I'd like to add to the President discussion. We've seen minor changes in the MCU from our universe. Dates and days of the week have been different. It's entirely possible that, for some reason, the Presidential election cycle is different than in ours. Perhaps it's off by 2 years, so Obama was President from 06-10, Ellis was elected and took office in 2011. It's also possible the terms are different, maybe only 3 year terms.

Alternately, I could see Obama getting elected in 08 and stepping down or being impeached in 12 after the Battle of New York. Ellis was the first acceptable person in line, and was the acting President after, and had just successfully been reelected in IM3.

There's a bunch of possible explanations, but without further information we can't really come to a solid solution.

Impeachment or resignation would just follow the line of succession. Which means Ellis would have had to have been Obama's VP. Not sure if that holds up or not.

One thing I'd like to add to the President discussion. We've seen minor changes in the MCU from our universe. Dates and days of the week have been different. It's entirely possible that, for some reason, the Presidential election cycle is different than in ours. Perhaps it's off by 2 years, so Obama was President from 06-10, Ellis was elected and took office in 2011. It's also possible the terms are different, maybe only 3 year terms.

Alternately, I could see Obama getting elected in 08 and stepping down or being impeached in 12 after the Battle of New York. Ellis was the first acceptable person in line, and was the acting President after, and had just successfully been reelected in IM3.

There's a bunch of possible explanations, but without further information we can't really come to a solid solution.
Important to note that, although sometimes the days of the week are different, those are usually mistakes. A lot of the time, they are spot on. I don't count that as evidence.

Updated for Avengers - Endgame: Prelude #3. Some of the scenes in the comic aren't in the same order as in the movie, so I placed them accordingly.

Last edited:
So i just finished Luke Cage Season 2. First off, the ending sucked. I'm glad they didn't do a season 3. In my mind, after the end of 2, Claire and Luke get back together and she smacks him back to his senses. I hope this is shown in Jessica Jones season 3.

Anyway, is there a reason the Twitter clip, "More than an arm" is placed at the end of the season? Seems to me it would be more appropriate shortly after Misty gets her arm and adjusts to it a bit. How about between episodes 5 and 6 or 6 and 7?

Latest posts

Back