Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 2)

Why are Winter Soldier and last episodes of AoS put on December 2013? Shouldn't they be in Spring/Summer 2014? Trees in WS are definitely green.

Why are Winter Soldier and last episodes of AoS put on December 2013? Shouldn't they be in Spring/Summer 2014? Trees in WS are definitely green.
"At 0:42:39, Pierce asks Steve why Fury was in his apartment ""last night"". At 0:43:10, the interrogation feed of Batroc gives the date ""2013.10.12"". It is taken to mean December 10, 2013, so as to line up with the events of AoS season 1 spanning a few months." From https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...wP4KgcUw8P-krLhKIulpNYAvBJw/edit?usp=drivesdk.

In Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 2x01, Talbot says Coulson and his team have evaded him for an entire winter, since the end of season 1. Also, because of the passage of time depicted in season 1, Winter Soldier can't take place earlier than December 2013.

I'm thinking about changing the placement of the last few episodes of season 1 and Winter Soldier to January 2014 (so as to be more consistent with later references), but it can't take place any later than that because of the "entire winter" line.

Good question. I've been thinking about it for a bit and here's what I got:

Option 1: visiting your own past creates a new branch universe, but visiting an established alternate timeline does not.

Since they created the new 2012 branch, it can now be visited without creating a new branch since this new dimension now has its own unique future. One very different from MCU Prime. Cap returning returning there is similar to the idea of MCU Cap showing up in the 616 universe, or in a Deadpool movie, etc.

Option 2: Instantaneous returns.

It's possible the gear they were using is able to pinpoint the EXACT nanosecond they left each new branch dimension, and return the stones so that they were never actually gone, chronologically.

Option 3: endless multiverse.

Perhaps you're right, and they did doom all these new realities. Or the heroes there just have a whole new set of problems to deal with and overcome.
They say Cap went back to fix everything so you have to take it on faith that he did. In reality though, the only way to stop a branch reality is to go back again and make it as it you were never there to take anything in the first place.

This was broken when Loki escaped, War Machine decked Quill, Nebula was taken and Cap fought Cap so on and so fourth. The interactions in the 70's may always have happened so not an issue and interactions with Thor and his mum and with the Ancient One also can go without effecting the future as they have knowledge on time travel and will have kept the interaction to themselves.

Branch realities would inevitably continue to exist and I'm not a fan of Old Cap being from an alternate timeline as Russo says, breaks their own rules of time travel unless he had access to new tech not shown that allows multiverse jumping

Now that we know what happens in Avengers: Endgame, what will become of The Punisher S2? I'd assume 2018 "could work", but 2017 is playing it safer, especially with the "3 months later" and Jessica Jones Season 3 coming up.

I still put my vote towards this from selfishmisery:

Basically:
late-August to early-September
Luke Cage S2

September (post-Luke Cage S2)
The Punisher S2 Ep 1 - 5
Daredevil S3 Ep. 1 - 7

early-to-mid-October
Daredevil S3 Ep 8 - 13
The Punisher S2 Ep 6 - 13

I still put my vote towards this from selfishmisery:

IIRC, someone brought up that there was snow towards the beginning of Daredevil S3 and a line about when the pool would be finished which contradicted that. Plus, my own issue with Iron Fist not being aware of Matt Murdock's return which I guess can be looked past as that just that, he didn't know for whatever reason.

But if that can still work somehow, we'll see.

Also (Endgame and AoS spoilers):

Joe Russo confirms that Josh and I are right. Spoilers in link: https://ew.com/movies/2019/04/30/avengers-endgame-russo-brothers-captain-america/
So Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely (the writers of the movie) contradict Russo...

could you take the exact line that contradicts? All I see is "branch reality".

Fandango: So people are asking... Does this mean an old Captain America was hanging out this whole time while another Captain America was saving the day?

Christopher Markus:
That is our theory. We are not experts on time travel, but the Ancient One specifically states that when you take an Infinity Stone out of a timeline it creates a new timeline. So Steve going back and just being there would not create a new timeline. So I reject the "Steve is in an alternate reality" theory.

I do believe that there is simply a period in world history from about '48 to now where there are two Steve Rogers. And anyway, for a large chunk of that one of them is frozen in ice. So it's not like they'd be running into each other.

Ok, so there's two possibilities with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 6:
It's in the main Marvel Cinematic Universe and it just so happens that everyone survived the Decimation.
It's in an alternative Marvel Cinematic Universe. If this is true, only flashbacks before Avengers: Infinity War are canon.

I just saw a rumor that Far from Home will tie-in with AoS season 6 with
Mysterio being from another Earth.

I'm definitely updating for Endgame next week. In the meantime, I'm making minor edits for the earlier MCU films in the timeline (mostly regarding timecodes and how they line up with the prelude comics).

So Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely (the writers of the movie) contradict Russo...

Just came here to post this! I feel like with the writers and directors being in disagreement the best bet would just be to have it all listed in the main timeline
with a color code that indicates everything MIGHT be a different reality.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back