Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 2)

A few points of interest from this new AOS promo. Its mentioned the two teams havent been in contact "for months".

"Staying in bed and crying isn't what an Agent of SHIELD would do". So, if the snap isnt addressed we've got pretty concrete evidence that the team would have kept moving on to do what was needed of em rather than dwelling on it.

Clark Gregg mentions Sarge coming to "this specific planet" rather than calling it Earth. It makes sense within the context of what hes saying, but reading between the lines I'm wondering if there was a reason for his wording not being more precise.

Where did the 73 years 261 days scene go?

I moved it back to March 2018 since the math doesn't work out for Fitz being unfrozen in 2091 if the scene is later than March/early April.

Last edited:
Updated for AoS 6x02.

The final scene with Jemma, Piper, and Davis seems to be right after their last scene in 6x01, but I'll wait and see how the space events fit in in relation to the Earth events before separating their respective timecodes.

Last edited:
The showrunners have revealed that Season 6 takes place before the Snap. Yes, even the "one year later" is before the Snap.

If you fudge the timeline, you can make it work: Season 3 ended right after Civil War and jumped six months into Season 4 and Season 4 and 5 were back to back, so together they probably lasted four or five months. Which means that Season 5 ended about one year after Civil War and Season 6 takes place one year after that — so Season 6 is probably set in the beginning of 2018 or several months before Infinity War happens.

(Yes, I know Thanos was mentioned last season, but they never mention when he was coming. And we can handwave away the "weird stuff in New York" as something other than the Children of Thanos's attack, because, hey, weird stuff is always happening in New York. The "weird stuff" could be another MCU film, in which events take place in the NY area.)

People were playing Fortnite in Endgame, so clearly life moved on. Society moved forward, there was obviously a working government, servers were still running, etc... I say that because SHIELD season 6 could very well take place post snap because nothing I've seen so far contradicts anything. People going to the bar, soccer playing on the tv, all the background stuff on the show could very well happen post snap given the examples of Fortnite I mentioned earlier. I know the general discussion right now is does Season 6 take place pre or post snap, again I think we should as a collective fan base should treat season 6 post snap and ignore Wedon and the directors.

What I love so far about season 6 is the space adventures. If Season 6 takes place more in space than on Earth, it actually helps the timeline and obviously the snap impact on Earth since will be seeing more space stuff and theres less of an opportunity for contradictions to the timeline

I can definitely understanding wanting to wait and see what happens before moving AoS seasons 5 and 6 further back on this timeline. But it does really seem like the Marvel TV team is retconning the references to Infinity War in season 5 to keep Season 6 pre-snap--Jeph Loeb and Jed Whedon have been very consistent in this even if they're not sure how to address the timeline issues directly.

Honestly, given the disconnect between the film and TV branches of the MCU at this point, it seems kind of hard to believe that any of the current Marvel shows will include the Snap or the 5 year Snap Gap. If AoS can walk right up to the snap and then backtrack, there's really no reason for the smaller scale Runaways and Cloak and Dagger to try and write around it.

What we're probably looking at going forward is that only the Marvel Studios movies and Disney+ MCU shows set after Infinity Wars will acknowledge the Snap Gap. The three remaining MCU TV shows overseen by Jeph Loeb will continue running until they are cancelled, and will always be said to be set pre-Snap regardless of how much time passes in each show or how much they reflect the present day rather than 2016-2017. It'll be like how MASH ran for 11 years but the Korean War it was based on occurred over only 3 years. We'll probably see diminishing ties to the larger MCU in each series. (It's not like Runaways has that far to go.)

Upcoming shows like Ghost Rider and Helstrom probably won't be officially part of the MCU, they'll just be vague about whether they're tied in for the entire run of the series.

I'd love to be wrong, but it seems like that's just going to be the reality until Marvel sorts out whatever issues they're having that led to this silly rift in the first place. Given the Disney+ shows, it's not like they're opposed to working in ongoing small screen narratives into the MCU going forward, it's just internal politics effecting the continuity of the MCU as a whole.

TC

Last edited:
I can definitely understanding wanting to wait and see what happens before moving AoS seasons 5 and 6 further back on this timeline. But it does really seem like the Marvel TV team is retconning the references to Infinity War in season 5 to keep Season 6 pre-snap--Jeph Loeb and Jed Whedon have been very consistent in this even if they're not sure how to address the timeline issues directly.

Honestly, given the disconnect between the film and TV branches of the MCU at this point, it seems kind of hard to believe that any of the current Marvel shows will include the Snap or the 5 year Snap Gap. If AoS can walk right up to the snap and then backtrack, there's really no reason for the smaller scale Runaways and Cloak and Dagger to try and write around it.

What we're probably looking at going forward is that only the Marvel Studios movies and Disney+ MCU shows set after Infinity Wars will acknowledge the Snap Gap. The three remaining MCU TV shows overseen by Jeph Loeb will continue running until they are cancelled, and will always be said to be set pre-Snap regardless of how much time passes in each show or how much they reflect the present day rather than 2016-2017. It'll be like how MASH ran for 11 years but the Korean War it was based on occurred over only 3 years. We'll probably see diminishing ties to the larger MCU in each series. (It's not like Runaways has that far to go.)

Upcoming shows like Ghost Rider and Helstrom probably won't be officially part of the MCU, they'll just be vague about whether they're tied in for the entire run of the series.

I'd love to be wrong, but it seems like that's just going to be the reality until Marvel sorts out whatever issues they're having that led to this silly rift in the first place. Given the Disney+ shows, it's not like they're opposed to working in ongoing small screen narratives into the MCU going forward, it's just internal politics effecting the continuity of the MCU as a whole.

TC
Let's take it one step at a time. Ghost Rider will definitely be in the MCU, whether pre-snap, post snap, post snap-snap, post snap-snap-snap, Cloak and Dagger could just be retconed to 2015 again, and Runaways Season 3 looks as if it will be immediately after Runaways Season 2. Jessica Jones looks to be set in October 2017. It will all work out, I'm sure.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S7 will tell us the truth. If it ignores the snap, it has to be post snap anyway because of how much time passes, if it shows the snap, S6 can be moved and S5 can be retconed.

Let's take it one step at a time. Ghost Rider will definitely be in the MCU, whether pre-snap, post snap, post snap-snap, post snap-snap-snap,

I would absolutely watch the show if you are right, but aside from the same actor playing the same character, the coverage seems to be downplaying, if not outright denying, the connection between the MCU and this show:

"Hulu's 'Ghost Rider Won't Take Place in the MCU and That's a Good Thing"
"Hulu Green Lights 'Ghost Rider and Helstrom TV Shows, But They Won't Crossover With The Marvel Cinematic Universe"

"Ghost Rider will center on Robbie Reyes, a version of the character who also appeared on Agents of SHIELD (though Marvel gave no indication that this series would be a spinoff of the ABC series). "

It does seem as though some of these outlets are jumping the gun in claiming that Ghost Rider is unconnected to Agents of SHIELD and the MCU, but it's kind of telling that we're hearing things like "This will mark the second time that Luna has played Ghost Rider, previously appearing as the character in the ABC-Marvel series "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." However, sources stress that this will be a completely new iteration of the character in no way connected to the "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." storyline." compared with when the Punisher series was announced: "'For me, the complexity and unpredictability of Frank Castle make him an incredibly compelling character and I couldn't be more excited to dive into his world,' said Executive Producer and Showrunner, Steve Lightfoot. 'After watching Jon's performance in 'Marvel's Daredevil' I could not be more excited to be working with him to further develop and progress the story of this anti-hero in a show of his own.'" It sounds pretty up in the air at this point.

TC

Last edited:
If you do a little m
I would absolutely watch the show if you are right, but aside from the same actor playing the same character, the coverage seems to be downplaying the connection between the MCU and this show:

If you do a little more digging you'll notice there are several conflicting reports. Some are saying that the source was correct and this will be an entirely new thing, while others are saying the source misunderstood and that this is the same character from SHIELD you just willnot have to watch that in order to understand this new show, it's a fresh start.

I would absolutely watch the show if you are right, but aside from the same actor playing the same character, the coverage seems to be downplaying the connection between the MCU and this show:

However, unlike their Disney+ counterparts, "Ghost Rider" and "Helstrom" will not cross over with other Marvel shows or films, although it will exist within the same universe, Marvel said.

That's no different to any other Marvel Cinematic Universe tv show.

Guys, I hit "post" just after the first link and went back and edited it, sorry. Just wanted to be up front about it; I'm not trying to retroactively win anything, I'm just bad at posting, lol. I was aware the reports were conflicting, and that was even the point I was trying to make, but I only got as far as one link.

However, unlike their Disney+ counterparts, "Ghost Rider" and "Helstrom" will not cross over with other Marvel shows or films, although it will exist within the same universe, Marvel said.

That's no different to any other Marvel Cinematic Universe tv show.

I saw that, but just a few paragraphs later, it says that "Reyes will be played by Gabriel Luna, who played the character on "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D" on ABC. However, Marvel has stated that this will be a new iteration of the character and not related to Luna's work on the TV series."

Mixed messages, is all I'm saying.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S7 will tell us the truth. If it ignores the snap, it has to be post snap anyway because of how much time passes, if it shows the snap, S6 can be moved and S5 can be retconed.

I don't think the amount of time that passes is going to matter that much, going forward. If Season 7 comes without mentioning the Snap at all, it's also possible that we're just dealing with MASH time and that it's also set before the snap.

TC

Every season of the Netflix shows, runaways, and cloak & dagger def take place before snap. Agents of shield was always the one show that ran closest to the films and lets be honest, it was only this season that was put into question regarding where it fits in the timeline. As long as Ghost Rider and Helstrom take place during Phase 2 or Early Phase3, will be fine

Agents season 7 should mention the snap since the embargo has been lifted. If they integrate it into the show then it def solidifies season 6 as post snap imo

Given that the show's producers have been consistently saying Season 6 is pre-snap, if they integrate it, they'll probably show the Snap happening during Season 7. Hopefully in that case we'd get some kind of explanation/retcon for the Infinity War references from last year.

I think this is the most direct reference, and could be retconned by saying that the Kree were misinformed about the attack or that they were deliberately misleading Graviton in order to buy time.

It would be nice to see at least one of the shows experience the Snap. In theory, the Snap Gap would be a great place to set a TV show: five years with no major interference from the films.

TC

Latest posts

Back