Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 2)

Am I the only one that just never even considered the Audi commercial to be canon. Like...it's a commercial...I know that sounds condescending, but like, at no point did I consider any of these commercials to be canon works.
I somewhat agree, but unless there's anything contradictory to the films that can't be explained away (which would definitely disprove it as canon), I don't see anything wrong with including the commercials.

Last edited:
I somewhat agree, but unless there's anything contradictory to the films that can't be explained away (which would definitely disprove it as canon), I don't see anything wrong with including the commercials.

It just creates a weird standard for what qualifies in my opinion. Like it's not produced (at least to my knowledge) by Marvel Studios or Marvel Television and it seems like the only thing that would make anyone include it would be the inclusion of the characters involved in the MCU, which by that logic, Ant-Man was voiced by Paul Rudd in that Coke commercial...and then actual footage fromInfinity War is used in that Quicken Loan commercial, so am I now to assume there is an oblivious woman on her phone walking down the street when Thanos attacks? Just odd to me.

It just creates a weird standard for what qualifies in my opinion. Like it's not produced (at least to my knowledge) by Marvel Studios or Marvel Television and it seems like the only thing that would make anyone include it would be the inclusion of the characters involved in the MCU, which by that logic, Ant-Man was voiced by Paul Rudd in that Coke commercial...and then actual footage fromInfinity War is used in that Quicken Loan commercial, so am I now to assume there is an oblivious woman on her phone walking down the street when Thanos attacks? Just odd to me.
The Coke commercial isn't canon because Ant-Man first meets Hulk when he's Professor Hulk and is no longer randomly causing destruction, and there isn't really a place where you could cut Infinity War to lead into the Quicken Loan commercial and back. The Audi commercial, by contrast, doesn't really contradict anything story-wise.

I personally wouldn't have added any of the commercials to begin with either, but DIrishB did, and I'd rather continue the timeline as he did. Think of the commercials as similar levels of canon to the teasers for the Netflix shows.

Last edited:

Here's what sets the Audi and NBA spots on the timeline apart for me: they have their own little stories to tell, they have major actors reprising their roles from the films for new scenes, they have more than a minute of specially shot footage, and they're not overly reliant on footage from the films.

They're basically branded One Shots, and given the prominent Audi product placements in Homecoming and Endgame, even the branding doesn't seem out of place. They're cute, bonus little Spider-Man stories--who doesn't want more of those? If they're on the timeline, people will be able to find out about them and watch them in chonological order.

(I'll admit that the Quicken Loans commercials did give me pause, lol.)

Nit picking, but why does a book take precedence over a short film (okay, a commercial, but still) with Tom Holland? Also, all the commercial/film showed was an instructor from a driving school agreeing to pass him. Peter would still have to take his certificate from the course to the DMV to get his license, I'm assuming. (It's also possible he was only taking the test to get his learner's permit--if there's anyone who's gotten their license as a teenager in New York recently, maybe they can chime in?)

It's entirely possible he was going to do that right after the field trip that ultimately ended with him getting dusted, and five years later he hasn't gotten around to officially getting the license yet.

TC
I think because the books are usually intended to be canon and not contradict the films, while the commercials don't always seem to be made with continuity in mind.

Unfortunately, if JJ S3 is post-snap we may just have to accept that people on MCU's Earth just 'moved on' within a few months time. Whether it be widespread denial to prevent panic or acceptance of what's done is done.
Exactly. Endgame hinted that life went on and people kept moving forward (Fortnite reference for example). You have to assume that people just accepted it and moved on. Like 9-11 in real life. It happened and people moved on with their lives a couple of months later

2017 BMW seen on Black Widow set:

bdqy5ma4jz631.jpg

Either this is between Civil War and Infinity War, still a prequel and the car is from SHIELD (meaning it could be more technologically advanced), or it's a production mistake.

Exactly. Endgame hinted that life went on and people kept moving forward (Fortnite reference for example). You have to assume that people just accepted it and moved on. Like 9-11 in real life. It happened and people moved on with their lives a couple of months later
I don't think you can compare half the universe dying to 9/11. That's 3.5 billion humans dead in an instant. If that happened, would you be fine in 6 months?

I'd say you should only place something there if you absolutely have to, or it's a short scene. For example, AoS S6 and any short flashforward/flashback.

Last edited:
I don't think you can compare half the universe dying to 9/11. That's 3.5 billion humans dead in an instant. If that happened, would you be fine in 6 months?
Yeah, in Endgame, New York is nearly deserted 5 years later with empty cars everywhere, while in Jessica Jones S3, everything's fine.

It's slightly easier to swallow if AoS S6 is post-snap because there rarely seems to be that many people around anyway.

Marvel Cinematic Universe Timeline Discussion
I personally feel as though Jessica Jones Season 3 should be Spring/Summer. I am going to make my case below. Clearly the 2 biggest issues with figuring out when it is placed is Mother's Day reference & the fact it appears pre-snap. I'm going to lay out all arguments I can think of for why we should disregard or recontextualize the Mother's day line. I just don't think there is any way that you can justify this being post-snap.
  • She was wrong when she said it was 6 months away, maybe she had a brain fart, she was live on TV & mother's day was not on her mind, Trish randomly brought it up & randomly brought Dorothy on camera which was not on the script. She simply was stunned & trying to talk on TV & she just blustered that out without thinking. It was only her, Trish & then Dorothy on camera, so no one else was going to correct her, Dorothy was just as stunned as her & Trish was preoccupied at getting out of there so. She too. Wasn't going to correct her.
  • Potentially Mother's Day is a different date in the MCU
  • She was talking about Mother's day in a different culture/country (Yes this has pretty much been debunked)
  • Maybe she confused it with father's day? Her mother's birthday?
  • She was over exaggerating/under exaggerating how soon or far away it is by just placing it at the opposite end of the year.
  • She meant to say '6 weeks' away & just tripped over her words.
  • It would be a little strange for Netflix to jump so far ahead as most of their seasons take place just after the end the most recent season or run alongside the last few episodes of the most recent season, I know thins't always the case but most of the time, it would just be strange to jump months into the future, skipping a full season.
  • If this is supposed to be post-snap then it's very hard to believe based on lack of discussion or missing characters. Even Oscar showed up, if he'd not shown up we could make assumptions he was snapped & that's why he isn't with Jess after them setting the two of them up at the end of season 2 but we know he's alive.
  • Not only do we see all of the main characters are still alive, but we also know that Danny Rand is still alive, as is Luke Cage. Mike Colter has (albeit jokingly) confirmed Luke was snapped, yet he showed up. It's hard enough to accept all of SHIELD survived the snap, but at least 4 of the 5 Defenders (including Punisher) survived the snap as well as all of the cast of Jessica Jones.
  • Once half the population has been snapped someone smart enough that is a serial killer would use the excuse that their victims had been snapped I'm sure.
  • I don't buy the Halloween reference with the pumpkin sticker. No one mentions it being Halloween or fall from. What I remember, a sticker is a sticker. Also some people leave Christmas decorations up all year or forget one or 2 things when putting the decorations away, so even it's not unbelievable that one sticker was just overlooked from Halloween.
  • The football game has also been. Disproven as being an indicator for when this season took place. No one seems to be able to pinpoint the teams or specific game & the game could be recorded from another time of year, or there is just a game on during Spring/early summer
  • Spring/summer collections clothes, sure it may be a little late. But it's infomercials, they try to convince people they need each item then & there, knowing it is spring/summer right now you will be easier convinced to get this new clothing item.I don't watch infomercials but from what I. Understand it's very much a "You can't go on with your life. Until you have this item, and right now is the perfect time to buy" kind of advertising.
Hopefully I have convinced you to place JJ S3 pre-snap, personally I find it a lot harder to believe this is post-snap than I find it believing SHIELD is post-snap.

As I said long ago, Punisher S2 - September 2017, JJ S3 - Feb./March 2018.

These are my arguments:

Punisher:
- 1 season ends in December 2016.
- Billy was in coma 6 weeks, he had 6 months therapy with doctor Dumont. So he was in coma to the end of January or beginning of February + 6 months = August at least. We can assume that the therapy didn't start right after he woke up. just a little later.
- In Beth's house her son is watching KHL - russian hockey league. It started on August 21 2017.
- Agent Medani was shot on December 2016 roku and we can see that one year passed since then. I think we shouldn't understand it literally, in fact only about 9 months passed.
- In one of the last episodes we can see doctor Dumond's passport with date of issue September 15 2017.
- Weather seems to be late Summer or early Autumn.

JJ:
- 1 year after season 2 (doesn't have to be exactly 1 year)
- Mother's Day in 6 months: 13th May (again, doesn't have to be exactly 6 months)
- Danny Rand is not in NY
- weather fits, not too warm, not too cold

As I said long ago, Punisher S2 - September 2017, JJ S3 - Feb./March 2018.

These are my arguments:

Punisher:
- 1 season ends in December 2016.
- Billy was in coma 6 weeks, he had 6 months therapy with doctor Dumont. So he was in coma to the end of January or beginning of February + 6 months = August at least. We can assume that the therapy didn't start right after he woke up. just a little later.
- In Beth's house her son is watching KHL - russian hockey league. It started on August 21 2017.
- Agent Medani was shot on December 2016 roku and we can see that one year passed since then. I think we shouldn't understand it literally, in fact only about 9 months passed.
- In one of the last episodes we can see doctor Dumond's passport with date of issue September 15 2017.
- Weather seems to be late Summer or early Autumn.

JJ:
- 1 year after season 2 (doesn't have to be exactly 1 year)
- Mother's Day in 6 months: 13th May (again, doesn't have to be exactly 6 months)
- Danny Rand is not in NY
- weather fits, not too warm, not too cold
What about Matt Murdock being alive? I'm not really into the idea of a time skip, but if it can work, sounds good.

For the Punisher, September-October, January and May sounds like a couple options.

Jessica Jones S3 is pretty much nailed, too bad the MCU Wiki insists on waiting for a comment for confirmation on pre-snap.

I watcher DD S3 only once so it's hard to remember. But whast are the facts?

It starts right after building collapse in Defenders so November 2016, a couple of weeks passes, so let's say it's January 2017. What we know is that the major plot takes place a few months later.

Question is how many months. Matt tells Foggy that he had a couple of hard months and in episode 11 or 10 (don't remember exactly) Fisk's lawyer says that 2 years passed since Wilson was put in jail. He was arrested on December 2014, but I assume he was convicted a few months later after a long trial. I don't remember details if he was already a convict in season 2.

I watcher DD S3 only once so it's hard to remember. But whast are the facts?

It starts right after building collapse in Defenders so November 2016, a couple of weeks passes, so let's say it's January 2017. What we know is that the major plot takes place a few months later.

Question is how many months. Matt tells Foggy that he had a couple of hard months and in episode 11 or 10 (don't remember exactly) Fisk's lawyer says that 2 years passed since Wilson was put in jail. He was arrested on December 2014, but I assume he was convicted a few months later after a long trial. I don't remember details if he was already a convict in season 2.
I think it had something to do with the DA election. I'm not so sure on all the facts, but I'd rather put Daredevil S3 between Luke Cage and The Punisher in September than a time jump. I'm probably leaning towards May 2018 for The Punisher, if I'm honest, but I understand why we aren't jumping on it though.

A note on Daredevil, I'm sure we brought this up before, but Nadeem told his son about getting a pool summer this year in the first episode post time jump.

As stated, here's my conclusion on the Netflix timeline:

Due to the story/character arcs, the Netflix seasons up to The Defenders are in order. Karen asks about a living witness in Luke Cage 2x11 (implying she still works for the New York Bulletin), is fired in Daredevil S3, and works with Nelson, Murdock and Page in The Punisher 2x11, which means that said seasons take place in that order as well.

-Daredevil S1
-Jessica Jones S1
-Daredevil S2/Luke Cage S1
-Iron Fist S1
-The Defenders
-The Punisher S1
-Jessica Jones S2
-Luke Cage S2
-Daredevil S3
-The Punisher S2

In regards to JJ S3, there isn't anything that would definitively place it either before or after Daredevil S3 or The Punisher S2, so I'm ignoring it for now.

As for Iron Fist S2, the weather seems similar to Daredevil S3, so they may be around the same time of year.

The description for season 2 says that Danny wants to protect the city since Matt is gone, and in 2x03, he and Colleen discuss that Matt told him to protect the city. Since Colleen didn't mention Daredevil's return when she wanted Danny not to overwork himself, I get the feeling that it's still prior to Daredevil S3 (at least before the time skip at the end of IF 2x10).

According to the school news report at the beginning of FFH, the snap happened over 5 years ago, when the students were halfway through the school year and had already taken their midterm exams (so sometime after late January). The resurrection of half the universe was 8 months ago.

If FFH takes place around July-August, then Endgame might take place in early 2023, possibly around January.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back