Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 2)

The more I think about it, Venom doesn't really work in the MCU for several (albeit timeline related) reasons:

The 2018 email would indicate October 2018 - April 2019 because of it's content about the NCLA Presidential Reception (see SUoMC Timeline).

If we ignore that, the earliest it can be is January 2018 - July 2018. Sure, we could push Infinity War to late June, but that just seems ridiculous because of the Scott Lang comment Black Widow makes. July is definitely impossible.

Eddie being sceptical of aliens is fine, as that happened in Runaways too, and the only aliens that the public really knew at the time were from the Incident. Inhumans don't count.

Point being, the timeline would be hard to work around so for now I'm glad Venom is not in the MCU, at least until the timeline becomes clear in future films (Morbius, Venom 2, etc.).

The more I think about it, Venom doesn't really work in the MCU for several (albeit timeline related) reasons:

The 2018 email would indicate October 2018 - April 2019 because of it's content about the NCLA Presidential Reception (see SUoMC Timeline).

If we ignore that, the earliest it can be is January 2018 - July 2018. Sure, we could push Infinity War to late June, but that just seems ridiculous because of the Scott Lang comment Black Widow makes. July is definitely impossible.

Eddie being sceptical of aliens is fine, as that happened in Runaways too, and the only aliens that the public really knew at the time were from the Incident. Inhumans don't count.

Point being, the timeline would be hard to work around so for now I'm glad Venom is not in the MCU, at least until the timeline becomes clear in future films (Morbius, Venom 2, etc.).

Or we could ignore the "2018" like we ignored the "2013" newspaper date in Iron Man 3; IF it was MCU 'canon'.

Bare in mind, Venom takes place in San Francisco, but there's no sign of Ant-Man. I'd dare say the Venom movie could fit in early 2015 since Scott Lang isn't Ant-Man yet.
And they promoted a 2015 bike (the "Ducati Scrambler") for the Venom movie.

(As of right now though, it's not in the MCU. I'm just theorizing if it somehow was.)

Or we could ignore the "2018" like we ignored the "2013" newspaper date in Iron Man 3; IF it was MCU 'canon'.

Bare in mind, Venom takes place in San Francisco, but there's no sign of Ant-Man. I'd dare say the Venom movie could fit in early 2015 since Scott Lang isn't Ant-Man yet.
And they promoted a 2015 bike (the "Ducati Scrambler") for the Venom movie.
October 2014 - April 2015, taking into account the NCLA Presidential Reception meeting but discounting the 2018 date. Sure, I'm good with that, although 10 years between Venom and Spider-Man 3 (presumably when a crossover would happen)? That's quite long.

You could also argue that Scott doesn't show up for the same reason Iron Man wasn't in every New York event, like New York earthquakes or S.H.I.E.L.D. helicarriers falling out of the sky. He's was... busy?

No point in really worrying about it yet. Not canon, completely hypothetical.

Last edited:
October 2014 - April 2015, taking into account the NCLA Presidential Reception meeting but discounting the 2018 date. Sure, I'm good with that, although 10 years between Venom and Spider-Man 3 (presumably when a crossover would happen)? That's quite long.

You could also argue that Scott doesn't show up for the same reason Iron Man wasn't in every New York event, like New York earthquakes or S.H.I.E.L.D. helicarriers falling out of the sky. He's was... busy?

No point in really worrying about it yet. Not canon, completely hypothetical.

If Eddie got dusted, you could just cut off 5 years from that time difference.

But like you said, hypothetical.

Going back to my earlier post: the Netflix seasons, for the most part, take place in the same order as they were released, due to character arcs and dialogue references to time.

I also determined that Daredevil S3 takes place in late 2017, because Karen still works for the New York Bulletin in LC 2x11.

The official description for Iron Fist S2 says "Danny has promised that with Matt Murdock gone, he will step up and protect his city". This, as well as dialogue from IF 2x03, seems to imply it takes place before Daredevil S3.

Does anyone think I should move Iron Fist to between Luke Cage S2 and Daredevil S3, or should I leave it as is?

Going back to my earlier post: the Netflix seasons, for the most part, take place in the same order as they were released, due to character arcs and dialogue references to time.

I also determined that Daredevil S3 takes place in late 2017, because Karen still works for the New York Bulletin in LC 2x11.

The official description for Iron Fist S2 says "Danny has promised that with Matt Murdock gone, he will step up and protect his city". This, as well as dialogue from IF 2x03, seems to imply it takes place before Daredevil S3.

Does anyone think I should move Iron Fist to between Luke Cage S2 and Daredevil S3, or should I leave it as is?
Do a vote.

It's either:
Use the order that's implied
Use prop dates and logic to explain Matt Murdock

I might have something that could help with the Netflix shows placements.
Marvel is holding an auction for Marvel Netflix props and there's a PDF with every item, so we can have a look at the dates on them. Here's a few I found:

Frank Castle's admission date to the hospital in DD 2x06 is 07/12/2015.

In DD 3x03 Foggy has a credit card of Karen that's valid thru 05/17.

In DD 3x05, there's a notebook from Pointdexter's therapist, with dates from her sessions being March 20 and 27, April 4, 11, 18 and 25, and May 3 and 10.

In Luke Cage 2x05, Luke gets a subpoena for beating up Cockroach. I believe the date says it's in 2018 but I can't really make out the day and month. Could be 04-12. I'm not sure.

In Luke Cage 2x09 Bushmaster's arrest warrant says 06-20-2018.

In Iron Fist 1x05, Danny's credit card is valid thru 03/17. It was however issued 03/13, which is weird considering he was gone for so long.

Here's the link for those interested:
https://propstore.com/marvel/

I am currently taking notes on the Netflix MCU to try and place where I think everything works the best. It's kind of hard to scroll through the whole thing and see where everything is currently placed and why...would anyone be willing to give me a quick recap of how the current MCU timeline is laid out on this timeline?

I am currently taking notes on the Netflix MCU to try and place where I think everything works the best. It's kind of hard to scroll through the whole thing and see where everything is currently placed and why...would anyone be willing to give me a quick recap of how the current MCU timeline is laid out on this timeline?
I don't know where to start, so here's the timeline evidence document:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IIZjrbMi68md2zlWwP4KgcUw8P-krLhKIulpNYAvBJw/

I don't think I have all the evidence written for the shows/movies just yet, but the exact timestamps are listed.

I might have something that could help with the Netflix shows placements.
Marvel is holding an auction for Marvel Netflix props and there's a PDF with every item, so we can have a look at the dates on them. Here's a few I found:

Frank Castle's admission date to the hospital in DD 2x06 is 07/12/2015.

In DD 3x03 Foggy has a credit card of Karen that's valid thru 05/17.

In DD 3x05, there's a notebook from Pointdexter's therapist, with dates from her sessions being March 20 and 27, April 4, 11, 18 and 25, and May 3 and 10.

In Luke Cage 2x05, Luke gets a subpoena for beating up Cockroach. I believe the date says it's in 2018 but I can't really make out the day and month. Could be 04-12. I'm not sure.

In Luke Cage 2x09 Bushmaster's arrest warrant says 06-20-2018.

In Iron Fist 1x05, Danny's credit card is valid thru 03/17. It was however issued 03/13, which is weird considering he was gone for so long.

Here's the link for those interested:
https://propstore.com/marvel/
Thanks for the link. I'll see if I can find any other prop dates and see whether they can work with the timeline.

Last edited:
So, The Punisher series is pretty well distanced from the Defender's universe. In fact I remember reading that the showrunner of The Punisher was told that Frank couldn't interact with any of the other Defenders (https://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/11/14/punisher-season-1-marvel-cameos-defenders/) and I'm wondering if that is because they already had a timeline laid out and planned. The reason I bring this up is because I'm curious as to whether the Netflix stuff NEEDS to be in the order of release. Like, I have a theory that maybe Punisher happens during like a Defenders break. Keep in mind that this theory does contradict some evidence in the sheet, but I explain why those things can be disregarded.

What if......

Daredevil 2/ Luke Cage (Late 2015)
-
Punisher (November 2016)
-
Iron Fist (January 2017)
^ This is probably throwing some people off, but hear me out. First thing, I hate that cell phone date, it's up for like a second and continues the Netflix tradition of unreliable phone dates (Luke Cage and Daredevil have been equally unreliable.) . Second thing, the festival is CLEARLY Chinese New Year, I don't even know how this is debated, but that is pretty clear if you look up the customs of Chinese festivals. Third, in Season One of Iron Fist they tell us 60,543 times that Danny has been gone for Fifteen years. In the first Episode of Iron Fist 2, he says "I missed the LAST fifteen years of culture" insinuating to me that Iron Fist and Iron Fist 2 go down on the same year just on different sides of it.
-
Defenders (March 2017)
^ I know. The laptop date. But I think the best way to figure out a timeline is to not only use in-universe facts but also real world facts as well. And this is why I find that date to be unreliable. Because the Defenders began filming on October 31st, 2016, which means it is pretty damn possible that what we are seeing on the computer is actually just the date that that scene was filmed. And there are things you can use to argue that Defenders happens with Punisher, but there is nothing that I have seen that can't be, very easily, debunked.
-
Jessica Jones 2 (Pretty soon after Defenders, like maybe a couple of weeks depending on where Defenders goes. So if Defenders is early March, JJ2 is late March 2017)
-
Luke Cage 2 (August/September 2017)
-
Daredevil 3 (October? 2017 [They say the temperature has started getting colder...]
-
Punisher 2 (November? 2017 [I mean they say that it has been a year since last season, but that can be a little more or a little less, depending on other things]
-
Jessica Jones 3/ Iron Fist 2 (Tail end 2017, Early 2018)
^ Few things that stick out
*The Fifteen years thing stated earlier
*In IF2 Misty says something about 'Next year's Christmas card' so it's close to Christmas, but after Christmas.
*There are two points of argument regarding JJ3 the Mother's day line and the mention of it being a year. I think the Mother's day line is LESS likely to be wrong and it being a year later is just a round up from like nine months. March to December is about nineish months and December to May on paper is about six months (Also a pretty close round)
*I need a memory refresh, but I know Danny Rand's sabbatical is mentioned, does that have to be when he left with Ward, isn't he gone from Rand for like the entirety of that Season?

So those quick things being said, I think there could be a bit of an overlap with JJ3 and IF2 with Iron Fist stretching out a bit more

Thanks for reading guys, this has just been the latest way I've been looking at it while trying to figure out this side of the timeline.

Spider-Geddon
After sometime passed in his universe, Peter returned to wearing the blue-and-red costume that Tony Stark originally gave him. Eventually, he joined the ranks of the Spider-Army in order to help them fight against the Inheritors on Earth-616. This struggle ended in Spider-Army's overall success, with the Inheritors defeated and turned into harmless human babies.[6]

Something added to the Marvel wiki that's just really cool.

Last edited:
I was planning on posting the dates I found on the props being auctioned after looking through all of them (re: @Slyonic ), but BEJT from MCU Wiki found all of them, so credit to him for his findings.

• "The Devil of Hell's Kitchen" newspaper (1, 2, 3): "Weekday Edition/Some sun, 80", "Offer good through 10/31/14" (doesn't fit).
  • Matt's junior associate card: "Expires 12/31/14".
  • "Wilson Fisk's Promise to City: A Better Tomorrow" newspaper (1, 2): "Weekday Edition/Partly Cloudy, Upper 70s", "press event yesterday", "third June weekend", things referring to "Sunday" and "Sunday's Pride March", "since June 23" (none of those fit), "New York Post, Tuesday, October 14, 2014" but that, as described on the main page, is just the New York Post slipped inside from the day of filming.
  • Ben's press badge: "expires 10/30/2016".
  • New York Bulletin press vehicle pass: Toyota Camry exists.
  • "Daredevil Collars Fisk" newspaper (1, 2): "Weekday Edition/Cloudy, 43", "arrested by FBI agents yesterday", "Offer good through 10/31/14" (doesn't fit).
  • "Harlem Terror" newspaper: "Weekday Edition/Some sun, 80" "yesterday evening".
  • "Punisher Punished" newspaper (1, 2): "Weekday Edition/Some sun, 80" "fourth gang-targeted massacre in as many days", "Offer good through 10/31/14" (doesn't fit), there's a bunch of nonsense copy-and-pasted under unrelated headlines to just fill out the paper that should be ignored, "36-year-old Frank Castle" so with his birthday being November 15th and this being early November, he should be about to turn 37, born November 15, 1978, "late last night".
  • Frank Castle's Medical ID Bracelet: "02/16/1976" (doesn't fit), "07/12/2015" (doesn't fit, not even with the July date in the show).
  • Foggy's law license: "twentieth day of July two thousand and fourteen", "twentieth day of July in the year of our Lord two thousand and fourteen".
  • Foggy's desk belongings: "2003", "110803", "11/6/85" (unclear what this refers to).
  • Ellison's New York Bulletin press badge: "expires 10/30/2016".
  • Foggy's Columbia University law degree: "New York affixerunt in decimo octavo die Maii urbs tredecim milia anno" → New York City hung in the eighteenth day of May thirteen thousand years (doesn't make sense, would be 1300 instead of 21st century), founded "1754".
  • Edmond Cleary Class casket: "February 17 1883, October 3 1948".
  • Foggy's wallet: "Member since 2013, valid thru 09/17".
  • Blake Tower reelection leaflets: "In the his [sic] last year alone, the overall crime rate has declined by 1.8%".
  • "FBI Botches Fisk Transfer" newspaper (1, 2, 3): "Weekday Edition/Partly Cloudy, Upper 40s".
  • Karen's framed newspapers: "Weekday Edition/Some sun High 80 Low 71", "The bipartisan deal to spend $17 billion on the beleaguered VA should help millions of deserving veterans get the timely health care they earned defending our country" (July 2014), "Today, Partly sunny, mid 80s", "Tonight, Mostly clear, 64-76", "Tomorrow, Partly sunny 82-88", "Thursday July 14 1977", "© 1977".
  • Karen's three framed newspapers "Weekday Edition/Some sun, 80" (they also just copy and pasted the "Punisher Punished" text), "Weekday Edition/Some sun, 80", "Weekday Edition/Some sun, 80" (they also just copy and pasted the "Punisher Punished" text).
  • FBI Murdock Apartment Raid Evidence: "-6 2016" (letter seemingly left in Matt's apartment post-his apparent death), "3/11/2000" (not clear what this refers to).
  • Dr. Mercer's empathy notes on young Dex: "4/18 - 1PM".
  • Dex's hotline clipboard: "06 26 2017" (when clipboard was made, doesn't fit).
  • "FBI Investigates One of Their Own" newspaper (1, 2, 3): "Weekday Edition/Partly Cloudy, High 40s", "Several days ago, an FBI motorcade was transferring Wilson Fisk", referring to a ransack on "Friday" night (so likely a Monday paper).
  • "Daredevil's Midnight Slaughter" newspaper (1, 2, 3): "Weekday Edition/Cloudy, High 50s".
  • "The Bulletin Attack" newspaper (1, 2, 3): "Today's Weather: Cloudy H 54*, L 37*; clouds lessening overnight/ Tomorrow's Weather: Partly sunny with clouds increasing by evening, 39*-51*", "Thirteen minutes", "Late last night", "At 8pm tonight, a candlelight vigil will take place", "Mass Protests Continue in Hungarian [...] an unannounced march on the building of the Education Secretariat" (April 2017).
  • Karen's New York Bulletin press badge: "Age 31" (but "Sex M" so perhaps the second badge isn't actually Karen's. If "M" is just a mistake though, "31" would indeed be correct).
  • Victor Torres casket: "1931-2003".
  • Fisk and Donovan's files on Poindexter: "In office rec. transcr 10/22", "In office rec. transcr 10/21", "Poindexter sessions 35-42, October 24th, October 31st, November 6th, November 13th, November 20th, November 27th, November 28th, December 5th".
  • "Game Over" newspaper: "Weekday Edition/Cloudy, 43", "Offer good through 10/31/14" (doesn't fit), "expected to announce on Tuesday" so likely not Monday or Tuesday, "On Monday, the attorney general's office said" so likely not Monday or Tuesday.
  • Pop's memorial order of service: "Viewing, 1pm-3pm, Sermon, 4pm-5pm, Open mic, 5pm-6pm" "Organized in 1878, in our 133 years of existence" (doesn't fit).
  • "Perfect End to Historic Season" clipping: "On October 15th, the New York Nines defeated San Francisco in Game Seven of the 1987 Championship Series." Obama exists - specifically said to be or have been president, Eugenie Bouchard, Coca-Cola, Elle Quebec, "Elle Quebec put Bouchard on the cover of its August issue" which happened in 2014 suggesting this article is from between July 2014 and July 2015, Maria Sharapova, Twitter, Women's Tennis Association, "Bouchard, who turned 20 in February" which was February 2014 so article from between March and December 2014, Steffi Graf, Serena Williams, Pam Shriver, Nick Saviano, Wimbledon, Simona Halep, Petra Kvitova, The Bionic Woman starring Lindsay Wagner, Shelby Rogers and Shelby Rogers match from August 2014, Rogers currently No. 113.
  • Harlem's Paradise alcohol bottles: Malibu Island Spiced, Ketel One Vodka, C.H.J. Nolet, Tito's Handmade Vodka, The Kraken Black Spiced Rum.
  • "Menace" flyer: (1, 2): "Tonight 7:00PM".
  • Mariah's photograph book: The Radio City Christmas Spectacular at Radio City Music Hall, "29DEC11", "FRI DEC 30, 2011 1:00PM". The Lydian Singers at Brooklyn Centre, "Sat, Jun 14, 2003 8:00PM". "THU, OCT 30, 1997, 7:30P.M., 1997 National Horse Show" at Madison Square Garden. Madame Tussaud's Las Vegas. The Sonny Rollins Quartet, "FRIDAY, JUNE 16th, 1967".
  • Cockroach's subpoena against Luke: "EXP. 01/30/2021", "DATE: 09-14-2018, TIME: 2:30PM", "-6/2018, and the person was arrested on (date) 08/14/2018" (doesn't fit).
  • Ridley's arrest warrant for John McIver: "Date: 08/20/2018", "This warrant was received on (date) 08/20/2018, and the person was arrested on (date) 08/20/2018", "Date: 08/20/2018" (none of this fits).
  • Rand Enterprises airline safety brochure (1, 2): "© 2001".
  • Culture celebration masks (1, 2, 3, 4): Called "culture celebration", not specifically Chinese New Year.
  • Joy's Columbia University law degree: "New York affixerunt in decimo octavo die Maii urbs tredecim milia anno" → New York City hung in the eighteenth day of May thirteen thousand years (doesn't make sense, would be 1300 instead of 21st century), founded "1754".
  • Chikara Dojo bulletin board: "Billing period: Mar 13 to Apr 13". "30 Mon Memorial Day" (referring to May, May 30th was a Monday in 2016), "27 Wed" (doesn't fit), "27 Fri" (May 27th was a Friday in 2016), "June [...] 7 Mon" (doesn't fit), "June [...] 11 Sat", "June [...] 13-17 Mon-Fri", "June [...] 17 Fri", "June [...] 11 Sat", "June [...] 20-24 Mon-Fri", "June [...] 24-25 Fri-Sat", "June [...] 27th-July 1 Mon-Fri" (all fit 2016), "July [...] 1st-3rd Fri-Sun" (fits 2016), "July [...] 4 Mon" (fits 2016), "July [...] 5th-8th Mon-Fri" (should be 4th-8th but fits 2016). "January 19 Sunday New Year's Group Workout" (January 19th was a Sunday in 2015 so doesn't fit), "February 15 Saturday, 16 Sunday, 17 Monday President's Day Holiday" (February 15th was a Saturday in 2014 so doesn't fit), "February [...] 22 Saturday" (2014 so doesn't fit), "April 15 Tuesday Passover Holiday" (April 15th was a Tuesday and the day of Passover in 2014 so doesn't fit), "April [...] 26 Saturday", "May 24 Saturday, 25 Sunday, 26 Monday Memorial Day Holiday", "June 21 Saturday", "July 3 Thursday, 4 Friday, 5 Saturday, 6 Sunday Independence Day Holiday", "August 23 Saturday", "August [...] 30 Saturday, 31 Sunday, 1 Monday Labor Day Holiday", "September 12 Friday, 13 Saturday", "October 11 Saturday 12 Sunday 13 Monday Columbus Day Holiday", "October [...] 25 Saturday", "October [...] 31 Friday Halloween", "November 26 Wednesday → 30 Sunday Thanksgiving Holiday", "December 13 Saturday", "December [...] 20 Saturday → 1 Thursday Christmas Holiday" (all 2014 so don't fit).
  • Joy's application for an authorization of temporary involuntary hospitalization for Danny: "Date: Wednesday Time: 11:45PM" (doesn't fit).
  • Danny's hospital files: "Dated at the company's office in New York, New York on January 1, 1992", "1992". "Date filed: May 2, 1992, 10:12AM" (doesn't fit, born April 1, 1991), "Date of child's birth: May 1, 1992, Time: 06:13AM" (doesn't fit), "Heather Rand [...] Date of birth: 03/08/1973", "Wendell Rand [...] Date of birth: 12/19/1971", "Date Signed May 2 [...] 1992" (doesn't fit), "Birthdate: 05/01/1992" (doesn't fit), "Date given: 6/2/2004 [...] Date on VIS4: 7/11/01 [...] Date given: 6/2/04" (doesn't fit, missing 2001-2016), "Date given: 1/2/2005 [...] Date on VIS4: 7/11/01 [...] Date given: 1/2/05" (doesn't fit), "Date given: 12/15/1991 [...] Date on VIS4: 1/1/88 [...] Date given: 12/15/91", "Date given: 2/15/1992 [...] Date on VIS4: 10/15/91", "Date given: 4/15/1992", "Date given: 4/15/1993", "Date given: 4/15/1996", "Date given: 10/15/2003" (doesn't fit), "Date given: 6/12/2010" (doesn't fit), "Date given: 12/15/199-".
  • "Wrong Side of the Tracks" newspaper (1, 2, 3): "Weekday Edition/Cloudy, 43", "Offer good through 10/31/14" (doesn't fit), Viacom, CBS, "92-year-old Chan" , "on Monday", Gold High Life Kettle Gold/Kettle Gold, HEalthyLife, "in late 2015", "as soon as Wednesday", HealthyLife like Herbalife Bill Ackman December 20, 2012, "ruled Monday", Danny returned "two weeks ago", "plane crash fifteen years ago", "25-year-old", "was down 2.3 percent in the quarter ended March 31", "markets showed some gains by the end of April", "was down 7 percent in 2015"
  • Danny's credit card: "Valid from: 03/13, Expiration Date: 03/17" (doesn't fit, missing until 2016).
  • Landman | Zack sponsor recognition to Rand Enterprises: "Landman | Zack Day of Giving Back 2014".
  • New York Bulletin Philanthropy Award to Rand Enterprises: June 28, 2011.
  • Coffee A Go-Go bag and cup: "ESTD 1964".
  • Mary Walker's classified papers: "Served 8 years in various locals. Captured and held in isolation for an unknown length of time."

The Sign/New Life" – With time running short, the team will have to go to hell and back to stop the end of everything. Who will survive?

Oh boy. Hope they don't so the snap, ironically the opposite of what I said about S5.

The Sign/New Life" – With time running short, the team will have to go to hell and back to stop the end of everything. Who will survive?

Oh boy. Hope they don't so the snap, ironically the opposite of what I said about S5.

What makes you think they'll do the snap?

Latest posts

Back