Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 2)

S.H.I.E.L.D. being active by 2020 is confirmed by Far From Home as well. The official twitter account of the film confirmed Peter's suit was made by S.H.I.E.L.D. the Seamstress said Fury asked her to make it, we know Fury's group is not S.H.I.E.L.D. so connecting the dots:

In 2024, Fury contacted S.H.I.E.L.D. and asked them to make a suit for Peter, they sent the Seamstress to make it.

I put my views on the whole AOS being canon or not thing on Reddit if you guys wanted to read it.

no offense, but spreading head canon like that just causes more problems and spreads incorrect ideas having people saying: "the shows aren't canon"...

So 50% of the world returned and in 8 months, they had how to pay schools, passports, tickets in the airport, all went back to normal and there wasn't any chaos. If the world could recover that quickly in 8 months, why can't that be the other way around?

Plus, after Feige said they were canon trying to make your head around that is dismissing FACTS.

no offense, but spreading head canon like that just causes more problems and spreads incorrect ideas having people saying: "the shows aren't canon"...

So 50% of the world returned and in 8 months, they had how to pay schools, passports, tickets in the airport, all went back to normal and there wasn't any chaos. If the world could recover that quickly in 8 months, why can't that be the other way around?

Plus, after Feige said they were canon trying to make your head around that is dismissing FACTS.

Dude, the stuff you spread causes problems as well. "Incorrect ideas". LMAO. There is nothing objective about any of this.

Also, Feige said they were canon back when Marvel Studios and Marvel Television were still under Perlmutter. We now know that this is not the case and the two divisions were pretty much separate entities and now one of them barely even exists anymore. You can't still use Feige's word as gospel even know we know the situation has changed since then. I guarantee now that if someone asks him if the shows are still canon, he won't give you a direct answer like he did before.

I think it's about 50/50 at this point as to whether AoS still belongs to the "main" MCU timeline or whether it spun off into its own timeline at some point/was always its own timeline. There are arguments in favor of both points, and the only official word falls short of even drawing a distinction between the two. So any attempt to make sense of the the situation is headcanon and fair game for speculation, so there are no incorrect ideas here, IMO. Also, IMO, the combination of behind the scenes production conflicts and a complete lack of consistency regarding the nature of Infinity War/Endgame's time travel is a blemish on what was once one of, if not the best example of a consistent film/TV universe out there. I would have loved to see the fallout of Infinity War across the entire slate of existing Marvel TV shows, but even failing that, this entire issue could have literally been resolved with 1-2 lines and yet they chose not to. (I'm not looking forward to a similar situation with Sony's standalone films potentially tying back to the MCU for this reason, but we'll see what happens.)

If AoS was "always" in its own timeline, (that is, during its entire run as opposed to branching off from the MCU as a result of one of their own time travel events, which is also still possible), then here's another retcon theory: Captain America did indeed spin off his own timeline to be with Peggy in Endgame (a still-debated topic, but let's assume for this theory that he did), and that this is the timeline AoS takes place in. This would maintain the connection to the original MCU and allow events to play out more or less the same way they did in the films through Infinity War. Perhaps Old Man Steve stepped in with information to stop AoS timeline's Thanos from beating the AoS timeline's Avengers, which explains why Thanos was mentioned once in AoS but the Snap was never addressed. It would also explain why, if AoS is a separate timeline where Thanos was (apparently) defeated, Dr. Strange didn't see it in Infinity War: it wouldn't exist unless they succeeded in defeating Thanos in their own timeline, causing Steve to go back in time and create the AoS timeline. After this, Old Man Steve would return to his original timeline to pass on his shield as seen in Endgame, since his counterpart in the AoS timeline was still around and thus it wouldn't need to be passed down there. Phew. (This would also be a comfortable place for the rest of the pre-Studios TV shows to live, if needed.) It also makes Steve indirectly responsible for Coulson's resurrection and post-Avengers SHIELD career and family, which I think he would get a kick out of. ;)

On the flip side, I think it is possible that in the aftermath of the Snap, there would be a lot of denial and some premature attempts to continue living life as normal, especially if some areas happened to be harder hit than others. There's more wiggle room for some of the events of AoS and Runaways to take place post-Snap than I would have thought six months ago. Maybe closer to 50% of everyone vanished from San Francisco and New York, but LA happened to have fewer people per capita snapped or somesuch. Judging from recent experience, this could have led people to be less sympathetic towards victims of the Snap, less affected by it, and less likely to mention it. In some ways that's an even grimmer scenario than the one implied in Endgame, but it's unfortunately not as unrealistic as I used to think.

Last edited:
Dude, the stuff you spread causes problems as well. "Incorrect ideas". LMAO. There is nothing objective about any of this.

Also, Feige said they were canon back when Marvel Studios and Marvel Television were still under Perlmutter. We now know that this is not the case and the two divisions were pretty much separate entities and now one of them barely even exists anymore. You can't still use Feige's word as gospel even know we know the situation has changed since then. I guarantee now that if someone asks him if the shows are still canon, he won't give you a direct answer like he did before.
Last time I checked, October 2016 was after Marvel TV and Studios' split...

Such a shame this whole canon debate divides the fanbase so much...
I believe the shows are canon, but I also doubt that Feige does anything with any of them. Even if people try to believe otherwise. As for SHIELD, I really wish they confirmed either way whether it was the main timeline or not. They intentionally left it open for interpretation so those who believe it's still the main timeline can and vice versa.

Last edited:
I believe the shows are canon, but I also doubt that Feige does anything with any of them. As much as people try to believe otherwise.
I am sure we will see some recasts down the line. Inhumans for example, and maybe some "reimagination" of events, but never enough to belive they are not canon. Afterall, these shows were never made to properly interlink, just to be adjacent. Plus, recast doesn't mean reboot.

I am sure we will see some recasts down the line. Inhumans for example, and maybe some "reimagination" of events, but never enough to belive they are not canon. Afterall, these shows were never made to properly interlink, just to be adjacent. Plus, recast doesn't mean reboot.
I expect that Feige will remain mum on the canonicity of the Marvel Television shows. If he confirms it either way he pisses off a portion of the fanbase so he says nothing which lets people believe what they want. I mean when he had his AMA on Reddit he ignored any question that asked about Marvel Television or his stance on it. If Inhumans is eventually done by Marvel Studios, I think it's pretty clear that the TV show would no longer be considered canon.

Why would he allow something to exist in his own universe that he never worked on?

I mean, my argument would be that the Marvel TV branch of the MCU has hundreds of hours of great storytelling, diverse casts, iconic characters, strong, invested fanbases, and was originally presented as part and parcel of the shared universe he had a hand in creating, one that is generally known, appreciated, and benefits from being a consistent fictional space with a number of creative voices. In an ideal world, this should have overshadowed any personal conflicts that existed here, but it's unfortunate that it did not.

There were rumours, the Inhumans show would be canon but in a different fashion it would be a TV show in universe that failed.

So the rumour was that a member of the Inhuman family traveled to Earth and told a producer the Inhumans members, Black Bolt and etc, and the producer made a story by his own and make it into a TV show that failed.

And that show would be referenced in other Inhumans stories as a failure and a running gag. The account that said this is supposed to be the same one that leaked Jarvis' appearance in "Endgame".

There were rumours, the Inhumans show would be canon but in a different fashion it would be a TV show in universe that failed.

So the rumour was that a member of the Inhuman family traveled to Earth and told a producer the Inhumans members, Black Bolt and etc, and the producer made a story by his own and make it into a TV show that failed.

And that show would be referenced in other Inhumans stories as a failure and a running gag. The account that said this is supposed to be the same one that leaked Jarvis' appearance in "Endgame".
I seriously doubt it. The only way I could see it is if Feige wanted to make fun of Marvel Television and include it in that way. Otherwise, I believe it'll simply be ignored. Most general fans aren't even aware that there was an Inhumans show set in the MCU anyway.

I actually wouldn't mind this idea; it would be a pretty funny in-joke. But I can't imagine them feeling the need to retcon and reference a failed TV show when they had all the tools and opportunity to explain AoS and Runaways and just...didn't.

I'm afraid of this subject getting out of hand...and lengthy. To be honest.

Hang in there, Helstrom is still to come... :rolleyes: ;) We could always start a "The Future of Marvel TV's Past: Retcons and Speculation" thread if it would help.

I actually wouldn't mind this idea; it would be a pretty funny in-joke. But I can't imagine them feeling the need to retcon and reference a failed TV show when they had all the tools and opportunity to explain AoS and Runaways and just...didn't.

Hang in there, Helstrom is still to come... :rolleyes: ;) We could always start a "The Future of Marvel TV's Past: Retcons and Speculation" thread if it would help.
I just hope Helstrom is vague enough that it can be easily placed as pre-snap. Given Marvel Television's history though, I wouldn't be surprised if the entire season is set in 2020.

I just hope Helstrom is vague enough that it can be easily placed as pre-snap. Given Marvel Television's history though, I wouldn't be surprised if the entire season is set in 2020.

Honestly, unless there's something in the show itself as produced tying it to the other Marvel TV shows or even (gasp!) the films, I can't imagine watching this. Even if it's the best supernatural comic book show ever, it's effectively been cancelled before it premieres. I'm counting on you all to spot the AoS/Runaways/Agent Carter/Cloak and Dagger/Netflix references if there are any. ;)

Honestly, unless there's something in the show itself as produced tying it to the other Marvel TV shows or even (gasp!) the films, I can't imagine watching this. Even if it's the best supernatural comic book show ever, it's effectively been cancelled before it premieres. I'm counting on you all to spot the AoS/Runaways/Agent Carter/Cloak and Dagger/Netflix references if there are any. ;)
It seems like it's going to be pretty standalone. Although I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Darkhold appearance. I still feel like Hulu was planning its own Defenders like crossover between Helstrom, Ghost Rider, and potentially Runaways.

Last edited:
Oh I know the plans were probably there (still bummed about Ghost Rider), but whether any of that filters down into what's actually coming out in October...I'm watching 26 episodes of Green Hornet because Burt Ward showed up for 10 seconds in Crisis and Helstrom is still too tangential for me right now. :p;)

I have to give props to Runaways for using the distinct appearance of the Darkhold from AoS even though they didn't have to. That was a cool move.

Oh I know the plans were probably there (still bummed about Ghost Rider), but whether any of that filters down into what's actually coming out in October...I'm watching 26 episodes of Green Hornet because Burt Ward showed up for 10 seconds in Crisis and Helstrom is still too tangential for me right now. :p;)

I have to give props to Runaways for using the distinct appearance of the Darkhold from AoS even though they didn't have to. That was a cool move.

It's shame Marvel TV is over, because Loeb finally started to understand that if they can't crossover with the movies, they should have the shows crossover with each other. Darkhold and C&D in Runaways, Defenders references in C&D, Sousa in AoS, a bunch of shows leading to a Ghost Rider team-up.
Too little, too late, I'm afraid.

I put my views on the whole AOS being canon or not thing on Reddit if you guys wanted to read it.

I like that theory. The one I've been running with as my head cannon is that all the TV series (ABC, Netflix, Hulu) are in the timeline that Thanos left in 2014. Therefore, the snap never happens because Thanos doesn't exist anymore. It leaves the problem of The Confederacy *saying* that Thanos is at earth in S5, but since they clearly would say anything to get their power, I believe they would use the "legend" of Thanos to convince other planets to join them.

So to me, S1-2~3 is entirely canon. Anything Thanos might have done would have little effect on earth at that point, and the references to the movies taper out over that time. After Ultron is where I feel we get less connection and the two universes start to split more noticably.

Latest posts

Back