Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 2)

I see stuff like the Cosmic Quest books as secondary canon anyway. I don't think the movies consider them when trying to have everything line up. So it isn't surprising when they're ignored. Personally, the only comics/books that I consider canon are the official tie-in comics, and even then they've had some contradictions.

I see stuff like the Cosmic Quest books as secondary canon anyway. I don't think the movies consider them when trying to have everything line up. So it isn't surprising when they're ignored. Personally, the only comics/books that I consider canon are the official tie-in comics, and even then they've had some contradictions.

I won't speak as to how canon the Cosmic Quest books are, but the Heroes' Journey books are definitely canon. Not only do they reference things that we see happen in the tie-in comics, the Ant-Man and the Wasp book actually has a scene from the movie in it, and it was released a month before the movie came out. There's no way Marvel Studios would let that happen if it wasn't canon.

Last edited:
I won't speak as to how canon the Cosmic Quest books are, but the Heroes' Journey books are definitely canon. Not only do they reference things that we see happen in the tie-in comics, the Ant-Man and the Wasp book actually has a scene from the movie in it, and it was released a month before the movie came out. There's no way Marvel Studios would let that happen if it wasn't canon.
Eh. Just because there are movie references doesn't mean that the rest of the book is considered canon by Marvel Studios. I personally don't consider them canon, but if you want to that's perfectly fine. I'm just saying contradictions between them and the movies isn't really surprising since I doubt they intentionally adhere to what these books (that only a small portion of the fan base even reads) set up.

Eh. Just because there are movie references doesn't mean that the rest of the book is considered canon by Marvel Studios. I personally don't consider them canon, but if you want to that's perfectly fine. I'm just saying contradictions between them and the movies isn't really surprising since I doubt they intentionally adhere to what these books (that only a small portion of the fan base even reads) set up.

Since it released before the movie, it's actually the movie that references the book. The movies shouldn't have to reference every single scene from the book to make the book canon.

The first Cosmic Quest book, which came out before Infinity War, mentioned that Thanos already had the power stone. That's another example of a book referencing the movie before it's come out.

Since it released before the movie, it's actually the movie that references the book. The movies shouldn't have to reference every single scene from the book to make the book canon.
I'm not saying they have to, I'm just saying that I personally don't see their events as actually being canon and it isn't surprising that Marvel Studios would contradict stuff the books have set up. Like I said if you want to that's perfectly fine.

The first Cosmic Quest book, which came out before Infinity War, mentioned that Thanos already had the power stone. That's another example of a book referencing the movie before it's come out.

It's been a long time since I've read the tie-in novels, that's awesome. I always loved reading them before the corresponding movie came out. Same as the tie-in comics. I hope Black Widow gets a tie-in novel as well, but I haven't been able to find one yet. With the delays, it should have been out already, since the comic and other material has released already.

I'm 100% sure Marvel wanted to do what Star does with their tie-in material. They even copied the "Road to..." banners. The way the books reference events from one another (like The Pirate Angel, The Talking Tree, and Captain Rabbit detailing an event that kicked off the story in GotG Vol.2 deluxe novel) or even the tie-in comics (Captain America's Hero Journey starts the mission to intercept the Alien weapons we see in the tie-in comics). Not to mention information and scenes from the movies appearing in the novels first, like you and I just mentioned, or soon after (Titan consumed had huge spoilery scenes in it just months after Infinity War, even spoiled Infinity War's ending in it's synopsis. It also tells us how Thanos got the Sceptre and why he has his scars that are MCU specific).

Why they decided to drop this banner after Endgame, is anyone's guess, but if I would have to get in to it, I'd say Feige likes to run a tight ship. Information getting out prior to a film's release is not something he was on board with. This has to be why they were so quick to call Titan Consumed not canon. It is by far the biggest and serious novel they released. It was based on the Russo bros' unused backstory for Thanos and there was a lot of back and forth with Marvel Studios, as per the interviews. But when it spoiled Infinity War's ending before it came out, they had to do damage control and say it was not canon, to create the narrative that the book didn't contain anything related to what was going to happen in Infinity War.
On the other hand, I can see them not wanting to be stuck to what is established in the books. For example, I'm pretty sure Cosmic Quest 2 is based on a draft of Endgame where the Soul stone would lead to the snapped people returning. This obviously didn't pan out. However, if Star Wars is able to do it, I feel like it shouldn't be to hard for Marvel to keep the continuity intact over different media.

It's a shame. Marvel seems to have a lot of these things they suddenly drop. The Guidebooks stopped being published after GotG Vol. 2 and AoS S4, the Netflix shows artbooks got canceled etc.

Can you write "book or novel" stories to complement movies: for example:
From whom and how did Thanos get the mind stone and why did he give it to Loki?
What did Selvig and Jane do after the click, why and how they investigated the origin of the endless stones? and more
big important question... - enough in 1 sentence or short description.
- Ant-Man and The Hero's Journey
- Thanos: Titan Consumed
- The Cosmic Quest Volume One: Beginning
- The Cosmic Quest Volume Two: Aftermath
more ..
Please! Thank You! :)

I mean, they came out of the books (Selvig-Jane-Stones or Thanos and mind stone scepter and more big answers..).

Can you write "book or novel" stories to complement movies: for example:
What did Selvig and Jane do after the click, why and how they investigated the origin of the endless stones? and more
big important question... - enough in 1 sentence or short description.
- Thanos: Titan Consumed
- The Cosmic Quest Volume Two: Aftermath
more ..
Please! Thank You! :)
He got it from an alien known as the Lorespeaker. The Lorespeaker mindcontrolled Thanos to cut his face, which is why he has those scars on his cheek. Gamora and Nebula killed the Lorespeaker, so his mindcontrol was broken. Thanos then takes the staff and begins his search for the Infinity Stones. It isn't explained why he gave Loki the sceptre.

What did Selvig and Jane do after the click, why and how they investigated the origin of the endless stones?
Selvig became obsessed with trying to find out what caused the Snap. He hides in a motel in New Mexico to do his research. Jane is actually presumed to be snapped, but Darcy and Selvig find her later. She was trying to stop another inventor from creating a machine that could destroy the world if not used right. The group goes to the Water of Sights (from Age of Ultron) and start the machine. It basically shows them a recap of the Infinity Stones. It ends with them creating a new research station in New Mexico, I believe.

Basically shows what Scott's been doing during his house arrest and what Hope and Hank have been doing. We get more information on the day Hawkeye came to get him for Civil War. We also see he's still in contact with the Falcon during his house arrest. Scott dreams about Janet, like we see in the movie. Hope is looking for the part for the Quantum Tunnel. She's being followed by someone. It's alluded to it's an ex-SHIELD agent. I think that's supposed to be Bill Foster.

The Grandmaster escapes Sakaar and finds refuge with his brother, The Collector. The Collector doesn't want him to be anywhere near him. They try to find Infinity Stones, I believe, but obviously they don't find them. It's revealed the Reality Stone is hidden beneath The Collector's chair in his lair.

It's been awhile since I've read these books, so I probably missed some stuff, but you get the gist of the stories.

As always, if we decide to put Titan Consumed on the timeline, I'd be more than willing to put together a list of placements.

Thank youSlyonic!!!!!!!! :)
In Spider-Man 2, we saw Erik Selvig's documentary about the "Nova: Einstein rosen bridge", which I don't think he researched and produced in 6-7 months (endgame to far from home). It may not have been found in the film, but I think he lived and then researched the infinite stones according to them and developed (five years) the Einstein rosen bridge theory properly. So i think The Cosmic Quest books are canons.

Last edited:
Hello there everyone! New on the board. Your collective chronology of events is a god tier effort. I've not read the entire threads but know some specifics. I just had a question that will hopefully help me understand any other things I may see.

The very first point on the timeline is the opening of Black Panther which obviously makes sense, but it cuts at 29 seconds in, which then picks up again in 1992 from 30 seconds onwards. How come? Everything on screen is still following the story being told at this point and is clearly not in 1992. It doesn't actually show 1992 until like 1:46 in.....?

Hello there everyone! New on the board. Your collective chronology of events is a god tier effort. I've not read the entire threads but know some specifics. I just had a question that will hopefully help me understand any other things I may see.

The very first point on the timeline is the opening of Black Panther which obviously makes sense, but it cuts at 29 seconds in, which then picks up again in 1992 from 30 seconds onwards. How come? Everything on screen is still following the story being told at this point and is clearly not in 1992. It doesn't actually show 1992 until like 1:46 in.....?

Coincidentally, I noticed that too recently. I can partly see why it was placed that way: the shot of the meteor falling is (according to the timeline) "real" footage. Everything after the 30 seconds mark is indeed the story being told by N'Jobu in 1992.
Personally, I would place the first 29 seconds in 1992 as part of the story as well, since if you would place it in a chronological edit, it wouldn't make sense, especially when it still has the voice over.

So to answer your question: it's a story told in 1992, it isn't the actual events that are being shown.

Coincidentally, I noticed that too recently. I can partly see why it was placed that way: the shot of the meteor falling is (according to the timeline) "real" footage. Everything after the 30 seconds mark is indeed the story being told by N'Jobu in 1992.
Personally, I would place the first 29 seconds in 1992 as part of the story as well, since if you would place it in a chronological edit, it wouldn't make sense, especially when it still has the voice over.

So to answer your question: it's a story told in 1992, it isn't the actual events that are being shown.

Ah i see. So it makes sense then if looking at the first 29 seconds as real footage and then everything afterward as simply a visual representation of the rest of the story even though the entire voice over is all 1992. Thank you for that :)

I just read a bit through Heroes' Journey: Ant-Man and the Wasp again, and the book mentions Wanda is known as Scarlet Witch as well.
I'd just chalk it up as a continuity error. Also just checked the Age of Ultron credits and she's literally called Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch there, so...

I just read a bit through Heroes' Journey: Ant-Man and the Wasp again, and the book mentions Wanda is known as Scarlet Witch as well.
I'd just chalk it up as a continuity error. Also just checked the Age of Ultron credits and she's literally called Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch there, so...
Personally I think if its just a line it can be ignored. I think in cases of small incidental conflicts like that its best to just go with what the primary media (in this case screen media) says. It's more of a concern if the movies entirely contradict the books, like lets say Selvig appears in the next Thor and goes into detail about how he was snapped.

My 2 cents (head canon) on the Raimi suit being in the film:

For it to make sense in-universe you have to look at it from an artists perspective. To the artist who made the graffiti and wrote murderer on it, it's their artistic take on their local hero. Just like how people try to draw heroes in different ways in our own world, someone in the MCU NYC, painted spider-man on that wall with a suit they thought would be cool to see their hero in.
I think a later edit showed that the artwork showing the Raimi suit was later replaced with the Holland suit

Yeah I looked up all the dates of the boxsets that are real (I Dream of Jeannie and Addams Family are bootlegs) and they all came out 2002 and later. So it's just a huge oversight by the writers. I think this is just going to be something we have to ignore and chalk up to happening differently in the MCU reality.

Latest posts

Back