Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 2)

I added Iron Man - Manual and The Wakanda Files to the timeline.

Credit to @Slyonic for providing the following information:

(Iron Man - Manual)
-Welcome: JARVIS contacts Pepper, letting her know he has created a summary of developments that have happened to Stark Industries.
-Navigation: Chapter overview. Also contains a physical Stark Industries dossier, containing Stark's business card, SHIELDS assessment of Iron Man/Stark, the press notes Coulson gives Stark at the end of Iron Man, and an article written by Christine Everhart called ''Who is Tony Stark?''
-01. Understanding Tony Stark: Explains how Stark became CEO of Stark Industries, and ends with describing some of Iron Man's heroics between Iron Man and Iron Man 2.
-02. Stark Industries: A history of innovation: Howard Stark biography, origins of Stark Expo, some of the tech Stark has developed (Stark Phone, Medical Scanner) and the Accutech, Cordco and Fujikawa promos are referenced. Plot of first Iron Man is summarised and ends with the schematics for Stark Tower.
-03. The forging of Iron Man: Summary of what happened in the cave in Afghanistan, with schematics of the arc reactor and Mk. 1, and some correspondence from SHIELD.
-04. The mansion and the workshop: Basically what is says, gives information on the different rooms of the Malibu mansion.
-05. Weaponization: The Iron Man armors: Every single armor that is seen up to and including Iron Man 3 is shown and explained. There's also an after action report of the Air Force One rescue.
-06. Global threats: Information on the Iron Man copycats from the senate hearing, Iron Monger, Hammer drones, Vanko, Loki, Mandarin, Killian, Maya Hansen and the Extremis soldiers. Also some correspondence from SHIELD about Extremis, dated 01/22/14.
-07. Mr. Stark's allies: information on Pepper (including how they met, something that's not in the movies), Rhodey, Coulson (conveniently neglecting to mention he ''died''), Romanoff, Happy, Yinsen, and Harley Keener.
-In closing: Jarvis concludes the briefing, saying the world is growing stranger, but he trusts that Pepper and Stark will face it together.

It's basically a frame story like The Wakanda Files, giving more information on the world surrounding Iron Man. Given that it is a briefing put together by JARVIS, it takes place before Age of Ultron (because JARVIS ''dies'' there), and at least after 01/22/12 due to the SHIELD file that's included.

(The Wakanda Files)
This book is similar to Iron Man Manual, collecting different in-universe files and articles. However, it does have a more detailed throughline in the form of audio file transcriptions by Shuri. Since these form the ''story'' of the book, I'll focus on those.
-A message from Shuri: Transcription of an audio file by Shuri. Shuri explains she is starting this initiative, because technology is advancing at a rapid rate and that she will commission War Dogs and the science/tech division to put together this file.
-01 Human enhancement: Shuri wants to do research to create an artificial Heart Shaped Herb, or at least a serum with the same advantages. It's hard, because all herbs were burned, but some traces may be found in T'Challa blood. To start, Shuri starts looking at where others have succeeded, and failed. First is Erskine's formula. Shuri also comments on Hydra's mind control of Bucky. Second is Extremis, Shuri sees potential in using that research as a basis and the Mexican ''resurrection flower'' in reviving the Herb. Third is Stark tech, Shuri doesn't like mechanical things and comments on how much better Wakandan nanoparticles are compared to what others use. Fourth are the Infinity Stones. She compares the Maximoff twins exposure to cosmic rays to the radiation exposure used in Super Soldier experiments. She questions why the Herb did not need radiation exposure to work.
-02 Weapons: Shuri comments on Sokovia and how it led to T'Chaka adressing the world and conceivably causing his death. She mentions T'Challa felt foolish for getting stunned by Black Widow in Civil War. It won't happen again with his new suit.
-03 Vehicles: Shuri is envious of Lang and Pym for spending time in the Quantum Realm. She really wants to talk about it with Pym himself.
-04 AI and mind control: Shuri gives a very detailed explanation of the mind control Hydra used on Bucky and on the Mind Stone removal from Vision. She mentions she failed.
-05 Energies and elements: Shuri talks about the Space, Mind, Time and Reality stone and where they were before Thanos got them. (Presumably the Guardians/Avengers did not share their information on the past of the Soul and Power stones with Wakanda. They're in the files, but Shuri does not comment on them through an audio file.) Shuri ends the Wakanda Files saying she's missed five years while the world passed her by. She's grateful these files were put together, so she can see how they got to the current state of affairs and where they will go from here. She's also said that she has to continue this work without one of the greatest and innovative minds the world has ever known (Tony).

So it definitely takes place after Endgame, but that's the only indicator we have for where it should be placed. There's no reference to EDITH or Mysterio, so one would assume it takes place before Far From Home, since that is tech that should be in the files. Obviously the book couldn't contain information on WandaVision and FatWS, since they hadn't aired at the time. So strictly in-universe speaking, we could place it before those two, since there's no mention of White Vision, or the Flag Smasher serum/Sam's vibranium wings. Such a short time after Endgame would also fit with Wakanda having limited knowledge on the Soul and Power stone, given that they wouldn't have had significant time to speak to the remaining Avengers/Guardians about it. Shuri presumably added her own comments on the other stones, since that information was given to her during Infinity War.

I added Iron Man - Manual and The Wakanda Files to the timeline.

Credit to @Slyonic for providing the following information:

(Iron Man - Manual)

(The Wakanda Files)
So what exactly are these? I assume books, but you also mention audio files? And I guess there are some extras similar to what came with the Phase 1 briefcase and the Phase 2 Orb?

So what exactly are these? I assume books, but you also mention audio files? And I guess there are some extras similar to what came with the Phase 1 briefcase and the Phase 2 Orb?

Shuri's dialogue in The Wakanda Files comes from transcriptions of (fictional) audio files.
The documents in Iron Man Manual are indeed similar to the extras that came with the Phase 1 and 2 collectors editions. In Wakanda Files, the documents and files are printed on the pages of the book, so in-universe The Wakanda Files are like a digital system.

The Eternals trailer mentions Captain America and Iron Man being gone, which supports this press release.

"Marvel Studios' The Eternals features an exciting new team of Super Heroes in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, ancient aliens who have been living on Earth in secret for thousands of years. Following the events of Avengers: Endgame, an unexpected tragedy forces them out of the shadows to reunite against mankind's most ancient enemy, The Deviants," the synopsis explains.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but if this headline in the Venom 2 trailer says something about "Avengers lose", it could be talking about Infinty War. The movie could take place between Infinty War and Endgame, and Daily Bugle could still be using print newspapers "back then" (still could be in 2023). That is, if it's in the MCU. Thoughts?

venom-let-there-be-carnage-daily-bugle-stephen-graham-sony-pictures.jpg

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but if this headline in the Venom 2 trailer says something about "Avengers lose", it could be talking about Infinty War. The movie could take place between Infinty War and Endgame, and Daily Bugle could still be using print newspapers "back then" (still could be in 2023). That is, if it's in the MCU. Thoughts?

venom-let-there-be-carnage-daily-bugle-stephen-graham-sony-pictures.jpg
If the events of the Venom films or Morbius are ever referenced in the MCU Spider-Man films, then possibly.

We've seen this before. It's a bit silly, but it wouldn't prevent Sony from connecting these properties if they're really insistent.

Sure, it's just personal preference. I don't mind Gemma Chan or Alfre Woodard playing two characters, since one was always pretty minor. Mahershala Ali bothers me a bit more, but it's better than Aaron Taylor-Johnson playing two characters where one was an actual Avenger.

With Gemma Chan, it's almost like it's someone else, since she is blue in Captain Marvel. The Luke Cage actors, I'm afraid, are probably no longer MCU, as well as the other Netflix shows. If the actors come back, like the rumored Charlie Cox in Spider-Man 3, it will probably be a different version of Matt Murdock. That's my guess anyway.

It seems more likely that the Venom movies just take place in a separate Marvel film universe that also has a team of Avengers.

Does reincarnation exist in Marvel? Quicksilver dies and comes back as Kraven? Hey, it's a longshot...

The problem I have with these recasting isn't that we'd have to create some theory as to why these characters look alike. It's that there are countless of actors to choose from, and still they choose someone that's already filled a significant role (Cottonmouth --> Blade). I can understand wanting to utilise someone great that was wasted in a minor unrecognizable role, though, like Gemma Chan.

Still, this Kraven casting actually leads me to believe those films won't be part of the MCU. If Marvel had their finger in Sony's pie, which I think they would have if it were MCU, they wouldn't have allowed the casting.

Not sure where else to put this, but would anyone be interested in doing a timeline for the "Indiana Jones" franchise?

FYI: just finished reading "The Iron Man Manual" in my ongoing attempt to be up to date on everything and I found more evidence that the TV shows are canon...

There is a section on on "allies" that includes an entry for agent Coulson. While it mentions Coulson visiting stark tower (an early scene from the first avengers movie) however it contains no information about Coulson's death. It does however, include a copy of Agent Coulson's ID card which lists his security level as "Level 7", which seems like a pretty clear reference to that scene in the Agents of SHIELD pilot where Agent Coulson emerges from the shadows and announces "Welcome to Level 7"

Once again a vagueish connection but its there. Also I wonder about the ramifications of these details being included in the manual which is treated as an in-universe text compiled by Jarvis. Does this mean that Jarvis was aware that Coulson was alive? Is Tony or Pepper aware?

Also Pepper Potts got the nickname "pepper" because she was pepper sprayed by a security guard, seems like a mean origin for that nick name but oh wells

Latest posts

Back