Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 2)

In Loki, when the the captions for dates 2012, 1985 etc showed up on screen, the animated timeline graphic was scrolling backwards (to the left) and in episode 2 it scrolled forward (to the right) to get to 2050 so I think there's some reference point on the timeline (narrowed down to between 2012 and 2050 so far) where TVA scenes take place and where we should put the show in the chronological order. In other words, even if TVA exists outside of time in-universe, from the meta framing point of view, the 2012 is the "past" and 2050 is the "future" and somewhere between has to be the "present".

In Loki, when the the captions for dates 2012, 1985 etc showed up on screen, the animated timeline graphic was scrolling backwards (to the left) and in episode 2 it scrolled forward (to the right) to get to 2050 so I think there's some reference point on the timeline (narrowed down to between 2012 and 2050 so far) where TVA scenes take place and where we should put the show in the chronological order. In other words, even if TVA exists outside of time in-universe, from the meta framing point of view, the 2012 is the "past" and 2050 is the "future" and somewhere between has to be the "present".
Solid point.

Updated with Loki 1x02.

I'll keep this in mind for later.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/sony-confirms-morbius-isnt-in-mcu-marvel-studios/

It appears Sony has confirmed the SPUMC is not connected to the MCU.
Never saw it as being canon anyway. I figured at most No Way Home would be the perfect opportunity to confirm the SUMC as being part of the multiverse. Giving the Sony movies a connection with the MCU without actually having their movies set in it. Plus the fact that Feige referred to Peter as a character that can "cross cinematic universes" makes me believe that if Holland does ever appear in a Sony exclusive movie, he isn't necessarily the MCU Peter Parker.

Between Loki, No Way Home, and Multiverse of Madness general audiences are going to become more understanding of how the multiverse works and how separate versions of a character can be played by the same actor. For example, we already have J.K. Simmons as both the Raimi and MCU Jameson.

New Rockstars mentions in his new breakdown video that the first year we see when a new time period is shown, is 2023, concluding the TVA events take place in MCU realtime.

It's the first thing he points out in his breakdown.

New Rockstars mentions in his new breakdown video that the first year we see when a new time period is shown, is 2023, concluding the TVA events take place in MCU realtime.

It's the first thing he points out in his breakdown.

Perfect! So now we know Loki is essentially set in 2024!

Haven't posted for a while but I'll give my opinion on Loki for the timeline. I would have the whole thing seperate, the TVA is outside of time entirely and when they travel back or 'forwards' relative to MCU present day, they use their devices to remove all evidence they were even there, leaving the timeline untouched. It is an alternate timeline branch while they are there until they use their device at which point they have left.
I would only place a scene in the now named sared timeline if it has a direct effect on MCU. So if say Loki is allowed to live again within that timeline, the scene in which he reenters could be placed there. Or if a branch is left for too long and red lines or something if left behind later used in the MCU in some way.
For simplicity, without something happening that impacts the sacred timeline, I'd have it self contained.

The Punisher 1x10: "Virtue of the Vicious"
I was watching this and noticed some of your timestamps are in the wrong place. For example 29:48 should be before 36:32 cause in the show 29:48 takes place at 10:18am and 36:32 takes place at 10:22am

I agree with separating the TVA on the timeline here, but man is it going to be tough to place this series in a viewing guide. Based on the above information it picks up at least in 2023 if not 2024. I think the trick to a viewing guide for me, is how all the multiverse stuff is going to play out. So far it's pretty obvious it goes WV, FATWS, FFH, NWH, DSMOM, but Loki I haven't a clue where to put it so it makes sense as the storyline unfolds.

Any suggestions so as to keep the logical flow of events intact?

I agree with separating the TVA on the timeline here, but man is it going to be tough to place this series in a viewing guide. Based on the above information it picks up at least in 2023 if not 2024. I think the trick to a viewing guide for me, is how all the multiverse stuff is going to play out. So far it's pretty obvious it goes WV, FATWS, FFH, NWH, DSMOM, but Loki I haven't a clue where to put it so it makes sense as the storyline unfolds.

Any suggestions so as to keep the logical flow of events intact?
I am totally with you on this. The series is kind of a nightmare chronology-wise because of the time-jumping. So I've decided to place it in 2024 between TFATWS and FFH. Check out my graphical viewing order (which is based on the findings in this timeline).

Edit: Could a case be made that the TVA scenes take place in October 2023 during Endgame? From their POV, it was 2023 when the Avengers went back in time and caused the Loki variant to pickup the Tesseract. So it would seem the TVA noticed the change in the timeline in October of 2023 if that makes sense. Just trying to make sense of it all.

Last edited:
I am totally with you on this. The series is kind of a nightmare chronology-wise because of the time-jumping. So I've decided to place it in 2024 between TFATWS and FFH. Check out my graphical viewing order (which is based on the findings in this timeline).

Edit: Could a case be made that the TVA scenes take place in October 2023 during Endgame? From their POV, it was 2023 when the Avengers went back in time and caused the Loki variant to pickup the Tesseract. So it would seem the TVA noticed the change in the timeline in October of 2023 if that makes sense. Just trying to make sense of it all.
I would just put it immediately following Endgame. If you look at the timeline order on Disney Plus, that's where they place it.

I would just put it immediately following Endgame. If you look at the timeline order on Disney Plus, that's where they place it.
The question we need to answer is when in time the TVA scenes occur. I think October of 2023 seems the most logical because we know in May of 2012 Loki stole the Tessaract. Then, shortly after, the TVA shows up. From their POV, this event must have occurred not long after the Avengers went back in time, which we know was in October of 2023. So to me, it would make sense that at least the first episode takes place during Endgame.

The question we need to answer is when in time the TVA scenes occur. I think October of 2023 seems the most logical because we know in May of 2012 Loki stole the Tessaract. Then, shortly after, the TVA shows up. From their POV, this event must have occurred not long after the Avengers went back in time, which we know was in October of 2023. So to me, it would make sense that at least the first episode takes place during Endgame.
I personally see present-day outside the TVA as being October 2023. I want the say the season could finish before Tony's funeral and Steve returning the stones, but given how the TVA is outside of time, I don't think that would be accurate. Viewing-wise, I think it's logical to watch Loki after Endgame. Not only since it literally picks up from a scene in the middle of the movie, but I think it's a great introduction to the Multiverse arc that will be a major thing in Phase 4.

I personally see present-day outside the TVA as being October 2023. I want the say the season could finish before Tony's funeral and Steve returning the stones, but given how the TVA is outside of time, I don't think that would be accurate. Viewing-wise, I think it's logical to watch Loki after Endgame. Not only since it literally picks up from a scene in the middle of the movie, but I think it's a great introduction to the Multiverse arc that will be a major thing in Phase 4.
Do we have an idea of how many days occur in Endgame during the 2023 scenes? It would help to break-down the events of the TVA scenes in relation to Endgame's.

Edit: The MCU Wiki's timeline has 14 days from the time-heist to the final scene of the film. If this is accurate, then all we need to figure out is how many "days" occur over the course of the Loki series (the TVA scenes at least).

Last edited:
Do we have an idea of how many days occur in Endgame during the 2023 scenes? It would help to break-down the events of the TVA scenes in relation to Endgame's.

Edit: The MCU Wiki's timeline has 14 days from the time-heist to the final scene of the film. If this is accurate, then all we need to figure out is how many "days" occur over the course of the Loki series (the TVA scenes at least).
Not sure how accurate it would be given time is different in the TVA. I think it's best to just have Loki after Endgame on the Viewing Order and leaving the TVA separate on the detailed timeline, knowing that it's vaguely around October 2023.

I agree with placing Loki after Endgame on the viewing order. Loki doesn't really "fit" anywhere chronologically, but if you look at the narrative the events pick up almost immediately after Loki's scene in endgame.

Watching it before Wandavision also gives a bit more context to that one advert for "Nexus"

I agree with placing Loki after Endgame on the viewing order. Loki doesn't really "fit" anywhere chronologically, but if you look at the narrative the events pick up almost immediately after Loki's scene in endgame.

Watching it before Wandavision also gives a bit more context to that one advert for "Nexus"
I think it's optional. If we assume the TVA scenes are set in October of 2023 right after the Avenger's return from the past, then it's safe to assume the entirety of Loki is most likely set during Endgame.

The only issue I see with putting Loki first up after Endgame is the multiverse angle like I mentioned. From a story standpoint, Mysterio looks like an idiot telling his friends the multiverse is fake but something people would believe right now. But maybe he is...

Latest posts

Back