Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 2)

I just re-read the Black Widow Prelude and it specifically sets the climax of Captain America: The Winter Soldier on April 4, 2014.

As long as there are no direct contradictions to DD, we can all assume this is the same Fisk.
"The source indicated that Daredevil was also supposed to make his MCU re-debut in Hawkeye this year."

MCU re-debut, not debut, because Daredevil (TV Series) is set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

So let's assume No Way Home does indeed feature Toby and Andrew, which would confirm the previous Sony SM films are "canon" to the MCU multiverse. In a chronological watch-through, I think the best course of action would be to place the original SM Trilogy before "Iron Man" and labelled as "Alternate Timeline". Then TASM would follow "The Avengers", again, in an alternate timeline. Finally, TASM 2 would come after "Guardians Of The Galaxy". First time viewers would just have to understand the concept of the multiverse before diving in so they aren't confused as to why there are three Spider-Men throughout the saga. Hoping No Way Home properly explains everything to the non-nerd audience.

Here is how I have it on Trello:

1627498548868.png1627498575677.png1627498611644.png

So let's assume No Way Home does indeed feature Toby and Andrew, which would confirm the previous Sony SM films are "canon" to the MCU multiverse. In a chronological watch-through, I think the best course of action would be to place the original SM Trilogy before "Iron Man" and labelled as "Alternate Timeline". Then TASM would follow "The Avengers", again, in an alternate timeline. Finally, TASM 2 would come after "Guardians Of The Galaxy". First time viewers would just have to understand the concept of the multiverse before diving in so they are confused as to why there are three Spider-Men throughout the saga. Hoping No Way Home properly explains everything to the non-nerd audience.

View attachment 432View attachment 433View attachment 434
Should be interesting how What If...? factors into this.

Should be interesting how What If...? factors into this.
Agreed. I think people don't understand that this series will be canon to the larger MCU, similar to "Loki". It's not going to be some one-off series that means nothing at the end of the day. It'll move the saga forward.

So let's assume No Way Home does indeed feature Toby and Andrew, which would confirm the previous Sony SM films are "canon" to the MCU multiverse. In a chronological watch-through, I think the best course of action would be to place the original SM Trilogy before "Iron Man" and labelled as "Alternate Timeline". Then TASM would follow "The Avengers", again, in an alternate timeline. Finally, TASM 2 would come after "Guardians Of The Galaxy". First time viewers would just have to understand the concept of the multiverse before diving in so they aren't confused as to why there are three Spider-Men throughout the saga. Hoping No Way Home properly explains everything to the non-nerd audience.

View attachment 432View attachment 433View attachment 434
I would place all universes created as branches directly after Loki or alongside What If. The universes would not exist before Loki, and because the TVA already involves time travel, the dates aren't a problem.

I don't think those films are "canon", clearly the intention was that the previous franchises/films outside of the MCU are part of the old Multiverse, and now the new Multiverse will be exclusively what the MCU/Marvel Studios sets in those universe, in all case it would be a new iteration of the Raimi and Webb films but not exactly those versions.

I would place all universes created as branches directly after Loki or alongside What If. The universes would not exist before Loki, and because the TVA already involves time travel, the dates aren't a problem.
Well, technically they always existed because they branched at different points on the timeline, meaning that they existed simultaneously to events before Loki. It's just in regards to Loki specifically.

The Loki director seemingly hinted that the branches at the end of the show connected to bigger timelines that already existed. I suppose that would imply that it's connected back to the previous multiverse.

SO, THERE'S THE BRANCHES, RIGHT, WHICH IS LIKE THE ALTERNATIVE REALITY. BUT THEN SOMETHING, YOU'LL SEE IT, IT'S VERY SUBTLE BUT IN THE VERY LAST SHOT WHERE YOU SEE THE MULTIVERSE, THERE'S LIKE BASICALLY OTHER BIGGER PHYSICAL TIMELINE BRANCHES. SO, IT'S ALMOST LIKE THESE DIFFERENT SEPARATE TREES THAT ARE NOW CONNECTING.

IT'S ALMOST LIKE A BRIDGE. IF YOU IMAGINE THE BRANCH, IT IS LIKE ANOTHER REALITY. BUT IF THE BRANCH EXTENDS BEYOND A CERTAIN POINT, IT WILL THEN CONNECT TO OTHER PHYSICAL TIMELINES. […] THAT LAST SHOT WE DID, THERE ARE OTHER LIKE THICKER [BRANCHES] THAT ARE MEANT TO BE LIKE OUR TIMELINE. AND THERE ARE OTHER TIMELINES LIKE THAT AND THE BRANCHES ARE THE CONNECTORS BASICALLY.

Loki is pretty inconsistent, though. I didn't get this impression at all. We'll see.

I just re-read the Black Widow Prelude and it specifically sets the climax of Captain America: The Winter Soldier on April 4, 2014.
I think the release date makes more sense with the movie anyway since given the movie was filmed during the summer, it looks nothing like January. I know there's the whole Talbot Winter line, but I ignore it since I doubt the intention from Marvel Studios was that the film was set in the Winter.

We can't ignore a piece of in-universe dialogue unless for a good reason.

Anyway, Fury's Big Week set the ending of TFA in 1943 last I checked. Don't pay attention to it too closely.

We can't ignore a piece of in-universe dialogue unless for a good reason.

Anyway, Fury's Big Week set the ending of TFA in 1943 last I checked. Don't pay attention to it too closely.
I personally put more faith in the movie itself. If Marvel Studios wanted the movie to take place in the Winter, they would have filmed it closer to Winter. Even AoS has a March calendar in the background of its tie-in episode.

"Addressing questions as to how 'What If...?' is expanding the MCU, Winderbaum said, "It's no coincidence that the show picks up right after 'Loki'…The multi-verse has erupted in every possible direction. 'What if…?' gives us a chance to explore that."" - Deadline

With that said, if the TVA scenes are set in October, 2023 most likely entirely before Tony's funeral, then it's probably safe to bet that the present day scenes featuring The Watcher will be set in October, 2023 as well.

Latest posts

Back