Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 2)

If I had one nitpick on the film it would be
regarding how they dealt with Lizard. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the cure blue in TASM? Why was it green in NWH?
IDK, maybe in the MCU that cure couldn't work, by the different-universe stuff, just as Electro says in the movie that MCU's energy was different to Webbverse's energy

So, as far we know, NWH takes place
The beggining at July, the main plot at November, and the end at December right?

'Cause J.J.J. says at the end that there have been a few weeks from the Battle at the Liberty Island, the only thing i do not understand is that at Hawkeye 1x05 Yelena says that she wanted to see the renewed Liberty Statue.

Now, if that scene takes place on December but NWH takes place on November, then she should be talking about a new renovation of the statue that work has not yet started on it, or what do you think?

So, as far we know, NWH takes place
The beggining at July, the main plot at November, and the end at December right?

'Cause J.J.J. says at the end that there have been a few weeks from the Battle at the Liberty Island, the only thing i do not understand is that at Hawkeye 1x05 Yelena says that she wanted to see the renewed Liberty Statue.

Now, if that scene takes place on December but NWH takes place on November, then she should be talking about a new renovation of the statue that work has not yet started on it, or what do you think?
Honestly I think it's just easier to say the statue is getting renovated and what Yelena says is vague without getting specific. Hawkeye is almost literally a countdown to Christmas, and NWH is almost entirely in November as there was no snow the whole film, and it still looked like fall. Also, the Halloween decorations needed to come down, so its definitely after Halloween at least. I think it's safe to say that the NWH epilogue is early December and Hawkeye is the week of Christmas. Yelena's comment was about the statue in general, not specifically. Hell, it may not even be finished being renovated in Hawkeye for all we know.

You all are making the multiverse pulls more complicated then they are. Norman doesn't mention his death at all, which means he isn't pulled after his death but before. Ock knows Norman died, but doesn't know about his own death, which means he was pulled before his death too. Sandman knows they both died, but isn't aware of his fate. Maybe he died, maybe he was simply defeated. That goes for Lizard, not knowing his death but Dillion knowing about his transformation. It was very obvious they were pulled from specific points in their respective timelines and not all from the exact same moment. As for other characters not coming through...does this really matter? Come on, so Dunst and Stone didn't come through, who cares? Rhino and Topher didn't either. I feel like as much as Strange kept saying its their fate when they go back, honestly, the spell got out of control, and some people (Venom) came through before Strange contained it.
Yes it does matter and without better explanation it creates plot holes.

I am not crapping on the movie, it was a blast. But you have rules when it comes to different timelines and when you decide to ignore them...well, why not just have Tony Stark come back and say he faked his death in one timeline and came into this one?

I wont ignore plot holes, and I am sure many wont either.

Okay. F--- it. They're manifested clones of their universes' counterparts with the memories of a certain point they were 'taken' from.

There's no branches, there's no timeline changes, there's no removal from the actual universe in 2002/2013/whatever, they are new, manifested versions that once they were aware of Peter Parker, connected them to that spell and created Earth-199999 variants with their original memories from the other films.
maroni.gif

I am not crapping on the movie, it was a blast. But you have rules when it comes to different timelines and when you decide to ignore them...well, why not just have Tony Stark come back and say he faked his death in one timeline and came into this one?

I guess when Strange says to Peter in the mirror dimension that there are infinite universes where people who know Peter is Spidey and they all would have come through had he not contained the spell, plus the added shot of I'm sure it was Kraven with the spear in the purple rifts, it seems perfectly fine to me that some people came in and other people didn't. I think what is getting people hung up is that from the production side of things they cherry picked specific things they wanted to have in this movie, and other things were left out, but again, Strange made a point about infinite universes, so had he not contained the spell you probably would have gotten EVERYONE from both franchises and then random stuff that no one asked for but they thought would be cool. I had a blast and I think the film works fine as is. Would I have wanted Dunst? Yes. Am I mad I didn't get it? no. Is there enough explanation in the film for me to understand why? yes. Does it hurt the experience? no.

I think of the pre-MCU as kind of a "recycle bin". Let's pull some stuff out and bring it over here.

I still disagree with this placement. Anyone else?

December
Black Widow
Chapter 24 (2:11:12 - 2:13:35)
Agreed, I think it should go back where it was initially. I personally put it right after FATWS, but either placement is better than RIGHT before Hawkeye because that is based on incomplete information. I posted about it earlier but no one responded.

Agreed, I think it should go back where it was initially. I personally put it right after FATWS, but either placement is better than RIGHT before Hawkeye because that is based on incomplete information. I posted about it earlier but no one responded.
I have it before FATWS because I swore I read Kevin F. stated it was shot first and intended to be Val's first MCU appearance.

I have it before FATWS because I swore I read Kevin F. stated it was shot first and intended to be Val's first MCU appearance.
Maybe, but it seems we should already know her by the time she shows up in BW. I'd place it shortly after
Yelena un-blips. I can't see it being more that a day or so after Hawkeye 1x05: "Ronin" (0:03:58 - 0:04:45)

Last edited:
I'm torn. On the one hand, the weather doesn't really match, but on the other, it makes sense that Eleanor called Val and Yelena began her mission ASAP. Plus I guess it kinda works if you interpret Yelena's line about "holiday time" as being literal. Either way, just because Black Widow was meant to be the first time we see Val, doesn't mean it has to also be her chronological first appearance. Hopefully, the Hawkeye finale gives some answers.

Maybe, but it seems we should already know her by the time she shows up in BW. I'd place it shortly after
Yelena un-blips. I can't see it being more that a day or so after Hawkeye 1x05: "Ronin" (0:03:58 - 0:04:45)
Again, if you look at the spring like weather in Ohio, it's most likely early 2024 when things in Ohio are in bloom. Plus, it makes it less time between Hawkeye instead of over a year.1640119705471.png

True, there's a few plot holes with the villains in this movie, like
Electro and Venom being transported to the MCU. Both of these characters do not know Peter Parker is Spider-Man, which was a prequisite to being transported. Electro even says he thought Spider-Man would be black.
Saw the movie on Monday. These points may have been addressed here and I missed it, but just in case, this is dealt with to some degree in the movie(s); we can reasonably infer that Venom knows who Spider-Man is because he shares the knowledge of other Venom symbiotes throughout the multiverse (presumably including the Venom from Spider-Man 3) as per the Venom end credit scene. Eddie was transported along with Venom because they essentially share a body.

Electro doesn't directly state how he knew that Peter Parker is Spider-Man, but he does make a point to say that he was tapped into the computer system, assimilating data, when he was about to die which is one possible point (learning his identity through stored security footage or extrapolating it himself from multiple data sources, etc.) I wouldn't read too much into his statement that he thought Spider-Man would be black; this happens after he's been de-powered and is having his first real conversation with Andrew's Spider-Man since ASM2; he could easily have meant that he thought Spider-Man was black for most of ASM2 before finding out his identity, and this is the first opportunity he's chosen to bring it up.

Electo's different appearance in this film is given a lot of commentary to confirm that he's the same version of Electro from ASM2; he basically has the power to make himself look however he wants because of the different energy in the MCU. (There's a funny exchange between the Lizard and Electro about his "makeover".)

The ending of ASM had Conners with a few patches of scales; it's entirely possible that he wasn't completely cured by the end of that film, potentially explaining his appearance here and the different "look" of Andrew's cure. (Certainly the comic version reverted to his lizard form many times over.) I don't think there's any firm indication about when he or Sandman were plucked from their universes; it seems reasonable that they might be from the "present day" of their respective universes like Andrew and Tobey's Spider-Men.

(The believability or lack thereof of Strange's spell seems to be controversial here, but I'd speculate that the spell is drawing people in from the "present day" if they're still alive or if they're dead, from a sort of cosmic "save point" right before they die in order to fulfill the corrupted objective of "bring everyone who knows Peter Parker is Spider-Man to the MCU". This ups the stakes since Strange isn't just holding back everyone who knows Peter's identity in the whole multiverse, he's holding back everyone who ever knew his identity, the living and the dead. Dunno if this works with Venom or not; depends if there's a time jump between Venom 2 and the scenes in Mexico. Might hold up if Venom 3 doesn't come out till 2024.)

It is sort of convenient that the main people who slip through before Strange traps the spell are the villains and Spider-Men from the five previous Spider-Man films, but we can assume from Venom's appearance that there may have been others out there who didn't happen to be in New York or chose not to seek Peter out.

Regarding the Statue of Liberty, I believe it's shown to have been repaired by the end of the movie, so Elena could be referring either to the "improved" version with the shield or implying that the "new" [recent] removal of the planned shield improved the statue depending on the placement of the scene; that probably works either way.

The movie doesn't particularly hinge on all of the villains returning to their certain deaths, I don't think, it's just true for enough of them (Doc Ock, Goblin, and Electro) that Peter wants to prevent them from being returned. (In addition to wanting to cure all of them generally.)

I'll probably see the movie again; there may have been things that I missed or misinterpreted. Pretty cool way to start bringing in the other films as different parts of the multiverse. (Loved seeing Daredevil too.)

Last edited:
I also wanted to add that there's silhouettes in the purple multiverse fog thing back when Strange was first doing the spell the same way it was at the end when you could see Kraven and Rhino's silhouettes. The very first silhouette you see is Lizard, and Lizard is the first one that's caged up off screen. Unfortunately, I can't find others upon any rewatch. I forget if the shot is shown during the spell or after it's messed up entirely, but maybe the placement could help clear up when exactly each character is pulled in - if that's relevant to how the spell works. Be on the lookout?

Latest posts

Back