Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 2)

I always saw it more as secondary canon anyway. It really isn't surprising to see it getting contradicted.

Oh, I know it's not surprising, I just hate the idea of adding something to the canon, only to hard retcon it later. Why add it to the canon at all, then?

I know plans can change, but still.

Oh, I know it's not surprising, I just hate the idea of adding something to the canon, only to hard retcon it later. Why add it to the canon at all, then?

I know plans can change, but still.
I think it has to do with those behind the books and those behind the movies being different. If something from the books (which honestly, a majority of the audience probably aren't aware of) contradicts plans for the movies, I can easily see how it would get ignored. I haven't read them, but aren't these junior novels anyway? I see stuff like that to be more inspired canon anyway.

I think it has to do with those behind the books and those behind the movies being different. If something from the books (which honestly, a majority of the audience probably aren't aware of) contradicts plans for the movies, I can easily see how it would get contradicted. I haven't read them, but aren't these junior novels anyway? I see stuff like that to be more inspired canon anyway.

The thing is there used to be coordination between the two. The Ant-Man and the Wasp novel contains a scene from the movie, released a few months before the movie. Same with Titan Consumed.

Honestly, with how big the MCU is getting, they really should have a story group like Star Wars had, that is tasked with maintaining continuity and the timeline.

The thing is there used to be coordination between the two. The Ant-Man and the Wasp novel contains a scene from the movie, released a few months before the movie. Same with Titan Consumed.

Honestly, with how big the MCU is getting, they really should have a story group like Star Wars had, that is tasked with maintaining continuity and the timeline.
I think the difference is Marvel Studios doesn't care as much about making sure MCU content not done by them (Marvel Television, books, tie-in comics, etc.) always line up. I believe their focus is on the content they produce. Even if we were to get a timeline, besides Disney +, I feel like it would stick to Marvel Studios movies, shows, and one-shots.

I think the difference is Marvel Studios doesn't care as much about making sure MCU content not done by them (Marvel Television, books, tie-in comics, etc.) always line up. I believe their focus is on the content they produce. Even if we were to get a timeline, besides Disney +, I feel like it would stick to Marvel Studios movies, shows, and one-shots.

It's a shame, because the period between Civil War and Infinity War is greatly expanded because of tie-in comics and novels.

It's a shame, because the period between Civil War and Infinity War is greatly expanded because of tie-in comics and novels.
Until it gets contradicted, I see no issue with treating some of it as still being canon.

What else do you disagree with? I could change things if I agree with your reasoning.
Appreciate the gesture, but some things I disagree with go back to the old thread before Irish's untimely passing. They've been debated to death on here since then and they are pretty set where they are. It would honestly be futile to debate them again. I'm not saying this to start anything or drum up old wounds, I'm simply saying the community HERE is more important to me than getting my way on the timeline. It works for everyone here, so there's no need to throw a wrench at it.

I guess Thor drops all that weight in a month?
I lost 60 pounds in 60 days just by doing a juicing only diet. It's possible, especially for him.

Alright new Love and Thunder trailer. Do we have a good placement for when Jane and Thor broke up? Cause by my understanding it would've been around mid 2015 meaning the new film takes place 2024.
Broke up or just seen each other? When someone says "how long's it been?", they usually mean "since we've seen each other". They could have broken up over the phone or something. Last time we've seen them together was what, Dark World?

Does the wiki also specify WHEN Thor went after the stones? Technically there is a 2.5 year gap there between AoU and Ragnarok that they could have broken up so if there is no specific date there or if its simply vague and 'he searched' then you can fudge some numbers and make it work for 2025.

At least we now know where she got her hammer, or rather, we know WHICH hammer this is. Not a time traveled/ alt universe hammer.

It really seems like Phase 4 is being released out of chronological order more so than the previous phases.

What makes The Cosmic Quest book questionable canon-wise?

The first thing that was iffy was Selvig being the main character. However, in Endgame he was shown to be one of the snapped allies.
This could be explained with Selvig being off the grid in the novel, though.

Now it seems Jane was also snapped, but she also appears in the novel.

Does anyone think Thor dies in this? Korg is clearly telling those kids a story of the "Space Viking" as if he's passed on to legend. I'm thinking that scene is the book-end sometime in 2025.

So sorry I didn't specify more when I asked my question yesterday. I realize how long it's been since they broke up, that was clearly stated, what we need is to know when they broke up to add the dates on to. Assuming it was shortly after Age of Ultron as we know they were together then and he was mostly in space searching for the stones that'd put this film as early 2024 somewhere between WandaVision and Legend of the Ten Rings yeah?

Does anyone think Thor dies in this? Korg is clearly telling those kids a story of the "Space Viking" as if he's passed on to legend. I'm thinking that scene is the book-end sometime in 2025.
I'm thinking that scene is altered from what were actually going to see considering when Jane shows up they do they whole "spoke too soon bit" and that his narration was for the trailers only.

I feel like this is definitely the last Hemsworth lead film, for sure. I always felt though given Zeus is in the trailer, that this film would transition from Norse to Greek and we'd get Hercules going forward. But the death of Thor? I'm not so sure.

So sorry I didn't specify more when I asked my question yesterday. I realize how long it's been since they broke up, that was clearly stated, what we need is to know when they broke up to add the dates on to. Assuming it was shortly after Age of Ultron as we know they were together then and he was mostly in space searching for the stones that'd put this film as early 2024 somewhere between WandaVision and Legend of the Ten Rings yeah?
If they had broken up by the end of 2015, then 'Love and Thunder' could also be as late as July 2024.

At the beginning of 'No Way Home', the news ticker mentions political turmoil in New Asgard, so this could be the case.

Last edited:
I would take the "8 years, 7 months, 6 days" with a grain of salt. Thor could have easily just been joking. Either way, we'll never have a hard date to start from.

I do think 2024 is very likely. Jane saying 3-4 years, and adding 5 on account of her getting snapped, also puts it around then. Plus I think Lebnyx is onto something with he NWH Easter egg.

I would take the "8 years, 7 months, 6 days" with a grain of salt. Thor could have easily just been joking. Either way, we'll never have a hard date to start from.

I do think 2024 is very likely. Jane saying 3-4 years, and adding 5 on account of her getting snapped, also puts it around then. Plus I think Lebnyx is onto something with he NWH Easter egg.
Once again the MCU proves itself to not release things in chronological order, so casuals are always going to be slightly confused to the order of events since release order is usually taken as gospel.

Latest posts

Back