Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 2)

I think it's because of the pandemic, and how it's affected more than just the first 3 shows. Given all the info we had about dropped scenes and in the case of MK that they had a date for it etc, I think the pandemic forced them to squeeze 3 years worth of content into 2 years and it just feels cramped beyond belief. Look at 2012 vs 2024...its insane.
Not to mention they're releasing like 6-8 projects a year now on average. The timeline is probably going to get very crowded moving forward. Like in 2012 1 film released, in 2021 we had 9. This year 8 and I doubt Marvel is slowing down soon.

Not to mention they're releasing like 6-8 projects a year now on average. The timeline is probably going to get very crowded moving forward. Like in 2012 1 film released, in 2021 we had 9. This year 8 and I doubt Marvel is slowing down soon.
Anyone else feel like it's becoming a bit too much? I love the MCU, but it really is turning into a big chore to sort through.

Anyone else feel like it's becoming a bit too much? I love the MCU, but it really is turning into a big chore to sort through.
I mean to me not really but I totally can see why people would feel that way, especially depending on how exact people like to get. I'm generally good with an idea of what year and order they happen and usually the month/season kinda comes out once you figure it out, and I very much so enjoy figuring it out. My sister enjoys the MCU very much but doesn't care for the specifics for her the placement of "after Endgame" has been working for her recently as long as the stories are still enjoyable.

I mean to me not really but I totally can see why people would feel that way, especially depending on how exact people like to get. I'm generally good with an idea of what year and order they happen and usually the month/season kinda comes out once you figure it out, and I very much so enjoy figuring it out. My sister enjoys the MCU very much but doesn't care for the specifics for her the placement of "after Endgame" has been working for her recently as long as the stories are still enjoyable.
Don't get me wrong. I enjoy it too. But I get tired of the vagueness (Shang-Chi's ending for instance).

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy it too. But I get tired of the vagueness (Shang-Chi's ending for instance).
I mean most films, MCU or not, are fairly vauge about when specific scenes take place. Not many bother explaining the exact calendar placements. That's why I stick to finding where the main events take place and then go with placing them there and just go with "Shang-Chi ending shortly after main events". If you piece every scene together it gets messy, I doubt even Feige knows dates that specifically.

Oh I am...between Agatha, the possible Nova and Doom shows, and now it feels like 4+ years between seeing heroes again, it feels like Phase 4 is just a bunch of 'stuff' with no real direction. At 13 chapters, if you look at the infinity saga, we were already at Civil War by now. In this saga...I have no idea what is happening...

Oh I am...between Agatha, the possible Nova and Doom shows, and now it feels like 4+ years between seeing heroes again, it feels like Phase 4 is just a bunch of 'stuff' with no real direction. At 13 chapters, if you look at the infinity saga, we were already at Civil War by now. In this saga...I have no idea what is happening...
Agreed. The lack of direction is real.

It definitely fits thematically right there
And now that we are talking about DS2 fitting right after NWH, it actually makes even more sense there as the current multiverse crisis get 'unleashed' by Loki, screwed up by Spider-Man, and then dealt with by Strange all 3 in a row. It won't come up again until AM3 I assume, since they just said Thor 4 has no multiverse issues. So having that right after Hawkeye and around Ms Marvel all makes sense too logically. The movies/shows preceding Loki don't feel like they have that lingering issue of the multiverse, and the movies/shows after DS2 don't either. It's finally lining up for me in my own guide where it can make sense logically.

See I get why I lot of people think that's there's a lack of direction but I disagree. I think people are confusing lack of direction with lack of a single connecting storyline. We used to have every film either connected throught the Avengers or an Infinity Stone leading up to a single event. That's not what Marvel is doing now, they aren't planning on having every single one of these characters meet up, it'd be impossible. We don't have a single story anymore we have multiple little "minisagas". There are connecting story arcs but we just have more than one, actually there's 6 that I've counted so far. There's the Multiverse which everyone seems to think is the entirety of the current MCU's saga. They are also setting up the Young Avengers, there's the Dark Avengers/Thunderbolts (or whatever Val's Team will be), there's a Cosmic one with chatacters like Eternals, Guardians, Thor, Nova, etc going there. There's a Street-Level one which is where Hawkeye, Echo, Daredevil and those guys are going. There's the Supernatural one where Blade, Moon Knight, Werewolf By Night, Man-Thing, Agatha and stuff are going. There's about 6 stories weaving themselves throught the various MCU projects instead of just 2 like The Infinity Saga (7 if you count whatever Spider-Verse thing Sony has going on). There's very much a direction, just not every project is headed in the same direction like the comics don't all share the same direction. Secret Wars when it happens in a few years will likely be large but it won't encompass everything

TL;DR it's not a lack of direction it's an expansion of connective tissue. Instead of everything tying together with the Avengers or Infinity Stones there's 6 "branches". The Multiverse is one but there's also the Young Avengers, Val's Team, Cosmic (which we'll see more detail on with Thor and the Guardians films), Supernatural (with Blade, Moon Knight, Agatha) & Street-Level (Hawkeye, Echo, Daredevil, etc.). We aren't in the Multiverse Saga like everyone says, we're in the middle of multiple sagas and each installment usually has ties to more than just one. When Marvel announces the next wave of content by the end of the year you'll start to see more where these branches are heading. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk

Last edited:
Same, that's why Phase 4 is so odd to work with, because placements are so vague and it feels like a lot is squished together. But I do the same, place things where they end, the only exception would be Cap 1 that I put first up.
I gotta say, I find placing entire films stories in timeline order by last scene regardless of where the majority of the film takes place to be a very flawed system. I do think if you switched to the general stories placement it'd be easier. I mean we nerds know enough in our heads when watching to be like "most of Black Widow happens before Black Panther but this little bit at the end here happens after" and stuff. God knows that my poor wife has to listen to that everytime lol. I mean like you said placing The First Avenger in 2011 isnt an accurate portrayal of the film just like placing a film by its post credits scene isn't accurate either. Most plots happen over the course of a few days so placing films where the most amount of the story happens makes the most sense to that. That being said totally do what you feel is best, I just think switching how you place them may result in less difficulty, especially going forward.

I gotta say, I find placing entire films stories in timeline order by last scene regardless of where the majority of the film takes place to be a very flawed system. I do think if you switched to the general stories placement it'd be easier. I mean we nerds know enough in our heads when watching to be like "most of Black Widow happens before Black Panther but this little bit at the end here happens after" and stuff. God knows that my poor wife has to listen to that everytime lol. I mean like you said placing The First Avenger in 2011 isn't an accurate portrayal of the film just like placing a film by its post credits scene isn't accurate either. Most plots happen over the course of a few days so placing films where the most amount of the story happens makes the most sense to that. That being said totally do what you feel is best, I just think switching how you place them may result in less difficulty, especially going forward.
For sure, and I like I've said, I love this forum and this group helps immensely in making sense of everything. It's a group effort, and may it never cease haha. I should be more specific and say that my guide works logically, and in that logic, most of the time it makes sense to work off of where the film/show ends than where it takes place. It's not a fool proof system by any means, but the idea for me is I don't want people asking too many questions when we watch.

If for example we watch DS2 before NWH because they like Strange more, that one line will cause a question to pop up. Those weird little things I want to avoid. But my guide also tries to keep things moving. If we watched in release order, Captain Marvel suddenly happening in the 90's between Infinity War and Endgame causes all kinds of questions. Cap 1 being first is actually totally fine because nothing in the bookends causes questions. There's a dude with an eyepatch, and a bunch of guards surrounding Cap, no mention of shield or fury etc. And on top of that, Cap is the only character to have a flashback in Avengers to remind you what's up with this guy.

Just a little look into why my own personal guide is what it is. Please don't misunderstand, I defer to this forum first. The Netflix shows, and shield etc, you all have done an incredible job piecing all that together, I will be forever grateful on that one.

For sure, and I like I've said, I love this forum and this group helps immensely in making sense of everything. It's a group effort, and may it never cease haha. I should be more specific and say that my guide works logically, and in that logic, most of the time it makes sense to work off of where the film/show ends than where it takes place. It's not a fool proof system by any means, but the idea for me is I don't want people asking too many questions when we watch.

If for example we watch DS2 before NWH because they like Strange more, that one line will cause a question to pop up. Those weird little things I want to avoid. But my guide also tries to keep things moving. If we watched in release order, Captain Marvel suddenly happening in the 90's between Infinity War and Endgame causes all kinds of questions. Cap 1 being first is actually totally fine because nothing in the bookends causes questions. There's a dude with an eyepatch, and a bunch of guards surrounding Cap, no mention of shield or fury etc. And on top of that, Cap is the only character to have a flashback in Avengers to remind you what's up with this guy.

Just a little look into why my own personal guide is what it is. Please don't misunderstand, I defer to this forum first. The Netflix shows, and shield etc, you all have done an incredible job piecing all that together, I will be forever grateful on that one.
Ah I see, well fair enough and if it works for you it works for you ya know it's your watch order there isn't a universally correct one. But this group has been absolutely instrumental for me in creating mine as well, the work you guys put into this timeline is incredible and I'd never have the ability to do it this well on my own.

PS ever since Captain Marvel I've disliked release order, especially now it's sooooo messy for us timeline nerds lol

In my last watching order, I watched Captain America and Captain Marvel just before The Avengers. Cap 1 fits nicely there because the prologue and epilogue of the film are set in 2012 and it feels like a big flashback. And Cap. Marvel acts like a bridge between the 40s and the 2010s SHIELD, sets up the Avengers Initiative, and the three films feel like a Tesseract Trilogy.

In my last watching order, I watched Captain America and Captain Marvel just before The Avengers. Cap 1 fits nicely there because the prologue and epilogue of the film are set in 2012 and it feels like a big flashback. And Cap. Marvel acts like a bridge between the 40s and the 2010s SHIELD, sets up the Avengers Initiative, and the three films feel like a Tesseract Trilogy.
That's a cool way to do it. I've been doing Captain Marvel right before Iron Man and I've liked it cause it feels like a Nick Fury origin right before he makes his most recurring appearances but the tesseract trilogy is very neat. I'm liking seeing these different homebrewed viewing orders on here, there's some unique ideas

So Geekcritique just dropped another timeline video this time about the revised placement of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and after I watched it I gotta say I'm starting to lose my faith in his revision videos because I believe that his first guesstimate was a more correct one then his updated ones (Moon knight being in 2024 and now Dr strange MoM?!?) Personally I believe that both are still in 2025 until I'm proven wrong in upcoming projects, because it's starting to become too much for one year

So to Recap my basic phase 4 timeline is as follows

Endgame (October 2023)
Loki S01 (October 2023)
What if… S01 (October 2023)

(Sonyverse Films) (October 2023)

Eternals (Late October/ Early November 2023)
WandaVision (Early to mid November 2023)
Shang-chi (March-April 2024)
Falcon & Winter Soldier (April-May 2024)
Spider-Man: Far from Home (June-July 2024)
Spider-Man:No Way Home (July-November 2024)
Hawkeye S01 (Late December 2024)
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (Late February - Early to mid March 2025)
Moon Knight S01 (May-June 2025)

Thor: Love and Thunder (Feeling like July 2025 but I could be wrong)

Ms Marvel S01 (Late September - Early October 2025)

Let me know if you guys also feel this is the most logical and most correct way because I'm very wary trusting Disney + about phase 4 films now (Shows seem to be ok for now but whoever is putting the newest films on needs to rethink their approach)

So Geekcritique just dropped another timeline video this time about the revised placement of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and after I watched it I gotta say I'm starting to lose my faith in his revision videos because I believe that his first guesstimate was a more correct one then his updated ones (Moon knight being in 2024 and now Dr strange MoM?!?) Personally I believe that both are still in 2025 until I'm proven wrong in upcoming projects, because it's starting to become too much for one year
Personally I believe Moon Knight is in 2024 as that evidence lines up fairly well and it's the only true evidence we have to a year besides Disney+ going against it. However yes I do believe this Mutliverse of Madness placement is incorrect, I wholeheartedly believe the film was intended to be set in 2024 originally back when it happened before No Way Home and America Chavez was going to appear with Spider-Man. But clearly covid fucked up the order and placing the film in late November based on some orange trees (especially when most are still green) isn't very accurate especially with how many articles, even leakers and stated the film was set about 2 months after. Not to mention 2 dates show up in the film, November and Feburary. We know November was the filming date, he even states that and didn't even line up with the original placement but the Feburary date lines up with what was stated as the placement of the film and appears on screens that were CGI rendered meaning it was a chosen date not left over from filming inconsistencies.Until something more concrete disproves it I do believe Moon Knight is set in 2024 and Multiverse of Madness 2025

TL;DR his Moon Knight stuff lines up with what we largely have here while also clarifying the year which we only have Disney+ for. His Multiverse of Madness stuff doesn't line up with what we know and goes off inconsistent things in film and Disney+

Last edited:
Personally I believe Moon Knight is in 2024 as that evidence lines up fairly well and it's the only true evidence we have to a year besides Disney+ going against it. However yes I do believe this Mutliverse of Madness placement is incorrect, I wholeheartedly believe the film was intended to be set in 2024 originally back when it happened before No Way Home and America Chavez was going to appear with Spider-Man. But clearly covid fucked up the order and placing the film in late November based on some orange trees (especially when most are still green) isn't very accurate especially with how many articles, even leakers and stated the film was set about 2 months after. Not to mention 2 dates show up in the film, November and Feburary. We know November was the filming date, he even states that and didn't even line up with the original placement but the Feburary date lines up with what was stated as the placement of the film and appears on screens that were CGI rendered meaning it was a chosen date not left over from filming inconsistencies.Until something more concrete disproves it I do believe Moon Knight is set in 2024 and Multiverse of Madness 2025

TL;DR his Moon Knight stuff lines up with what we largely have here while also clarifying the year which we only have Disney+ for. His Multiverse of Madness stuff doesn't line up with what we know and goes off inconsistent things in film and Disney+
So is Multiverse set from Feb to March or entirely Feb?

Latest posts

Back