Mask squinting?!

kerokero

Nobody noticed anything "odd" with Spider and Deadpool ? Thats right, one-eyed squints with mask eyes. Its okay to change shape to convey emotion or whatnot, once in a while, but in this issue there is a one squint too many. I came back and counted - there are 7 of them ! 2 being on the same page with different Spider eyes. Arent they supposed to be made of glass or something ? And it just plainly feels weird to see them both squinting pretty much all the time.

Last edited:

E

Excelsior Club
Split to a new topic because I was going to start one on this.

I noticed the squint a lot more lately, USM #92 specifically, than in the past. I don't know why Bagley is doing it (if it's him or if Bendis's scripts are calling for it), but I never liked it in the 616 books and I don't like it now.

It's stupid; the lenses are glass and the costume is fabric.

Glad I'm not the only one bothered by this. :D

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Was it ever said that the eyes were glass parts? Just asking because I dont remember reading it, is all. I mean , I know in the movie they are.

Still, I don't care. It makes him look funny, in a good way.

E

Excelsior Club
Ice said:
Was it ever said that the eyes were glass parts?

Yes. A lens popped out when he was rescuing a woman from a gang and he speciically said it was glass and not to step on it. I think it was when he was wearing the makeshift (unfinished) costume MJ made after they had gotten back together.

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
E said:
Yes. A lens popped out when he was rescuing a woman from a gang and he speciically said it was glass and not to step on it. I think it was when he was wearing the makeshift (unfinished) costume MJ made after they had gotten back together.
Oh wow...

Now that doesn't make sense at all! Maybe it's some type of flexable glass? :D

robje

Ice said:
Was it ever said that the eyes were glass parts? Just asking because I dont remember reading it, is all. I mean , I know in the movie they are.

Spidey loses one in an alley at some point and he calls it a "sliver of glass". I think aunt May found one of these lenses in Peters basement as well, but didnt know what it was.

*edit* yeah... what E said

Last edited:

Synch

Bagley used to do it all the time when he drew Spidey back in the Clone Saga days. I like it, actually. It also helps with the read of body language.

ultimatedjf

It's just for artistic purposes. Ways to see Peter's eyes when wearing the mask. They've done it forever. I personally like it. And besides, who honestly goes to comic books for plausible things to happen?? :D

Random

Didn't **** any of those *****es
Ice said:

Well they've screwed it up sometimes. Once it looked like a jelly like substance. I think it was when Harry was holding it, and other times its a piece of glass.

And in 616 its also glass I remember in one of the Marvel masterworks it said so. Basically its just like from the movie, they just do that to convey an emotion

And I really dont mind this happening as long as it improves the telling of the story. And I remember Bagley doing it to an exteme in the Legacy arc, After Peter save MJ he looks up and his mask Spuints WAYYY too much, but again I didn't mind that much

Rorschach

ultimatedjf said:
It's just for artistic purposes. Ways to see Peter's eyes when wearing the mask. They've done it forever. I personally like it. And besides, who honestly goes to comic books for plausible things to happen?? :D
agreed

iceman

um... Tony Stark and Reed Richards call their contracting glass their greatest invention. They once gave the idea to Peter using their idea-transferer device-atron. Don't question it.

E

Excelsior Club
iceman said:
um... Tony Stark and Reed Richards call their contracting glass their greatest invention. They once gave the idea to Peter using their idea-transferer device-atron. Don't question it.

And Tony is literally a walking brain...

You're right, that makes much more sense.

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
E said:
And Tony is literally a walking brain...

You're right, that makes much more sense.
Was he talking Ultimate? I thought he was referring to 616 as Ultimate Spider-Man hasn't actually met Reed Richards or personally knows Tony.

E

Excelsior Club
Ice said:
Was he talking Ultimate? I thought he was referring to 616 as Ultimate Spider-Man hasn't actually met Reed Richards or personally knows Tony.

He was joking. :D

cmdrjanjalani

I don't really care about it. Like the others have said, it basically just to let the artist convey emotion, basically for his own convenience and to make the reader easily understand.

It's kind of like seeing cartoon characters wearing the same civilian clothes every episode or Hulk's stretchable purple pants. They're things the more mature reader or viewer will have to overlook because it is something that has to be done to make it either more presentable to the viewers, and make it easier for the creators.

Bass

Nexus of the World
I have to say - I'm a big fan of the squinty eyes. I adore it.

In fact, one of my beefs in the Spidey film is that his mask's eyes don't change to show emotion. It felt - to me - to make him very unexpressive and dull. While an emotionless mask can work for some characters like Darth Vader, I don't think the expressionless mask is suitable for Spidey. I even wondered what it would've looked like if they'd given CGI eyes onto the Spidey mask. That could've worked.

It could've been atrocious. But yet I wonder...

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Bass said:
I have to say - I'm a big fan of the squinty eyes. I adore it.

In fact, one of my beefs in the Spidey film is that his mask's eyes don't change to show emotion. It felt - to me - to make him very unexpressive and dull. While an emotionless mask can work for some characters like Darth Vader, I don't think the expressionless mask is suitable for Spidey. I even wondered what it would've looked like if they'd given CGI eyes onto the Spidey mask. That could've worked.

It could've been atrocious. But yet I wonder...
Dude, you are so right on this here.

Mask squinting is teh cooolest.

Latest posts