Resident Evil Canon Universe - Timeline

Is the Umbrella Chronicles: Racoon Destruction 1-3 scenario canon? Events and stuff does not happen like they did in RE:3 (original) at all. While the previous two scenarios left out some stuff and changed minor things I think they worked, but this one is just a mess.

Some notable things that are different from the original:

- The whole scenario takes place in the city (Streets -> Subway -> Precinct) and then it ends
- Nemesis is only encountered in the precinct, only has one transformation and his boss fight takes place on the station roof.
- Carlos is with Jill the whole time (makes sense because of the two-player mode, this happened with the other scenarios as well like Jill/Chris being together the whole time in the Mansion Scenario, so I consider this minor)
- We don't meet any of the side characters from RE: 3
- The Grave Digger is fought in the streets rather than the park
- Anything taking place after the Police Station in RE:3 (so about 3/4 of the game) is cut entirely as Jill/Carlos escape from the roof.
I am just putting all of the alternate retellings of events in the timeline, but yeah, I guess we always consider the original games as more canon than the retellings. Maybe I should take the retellings from the part when they are supposed to happen and just put them in the part when the characters remember them and put the (Flashback) tag.

I am just putting all of the alternate retellings of events in the timeline, but yeah, I guess we always consider the original games as more canon than the retellings. Maybe I should take the retellings from the part when they are supposed to happen and just put them in the part when the characters remember them and put the (Flashback) tag.
that could work, but it might become tricky given that the flashbacks also cover events that dont appear in the original games that are likely canon, such as the bonus chapters.

BTW Im currently up to my second run through of RE6 and your timeline is holding up really well!

that could work, but it might become tricky given that the flashbacks also cover events that dont appear in the original games that are likely canon, such as the bonus chapters.

BTW Im currently up to my second run through of RE6 and your timeline is holding up really well!
Thanks, but in truth, I haven't played 6 yet, my 6 timeline is just the one from the wiki article in the "Sources" section bellow :)

I think its best to treat the flashbacks from Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles as a case of "unreliable narrator"

Both times the flashbacks are portrayed as being in-universe retellings of what happened. In Darkside Chronicles its Leon telling Krauser about his previous experiences fighting Biohazards while in Umbrella Chronicles its Wesker writing reports about the Racoon city incident.

this helps to explain the inconsistencies. This would be especially true for "Racoon Destruction" as Wesker wasnt even in the city at the time, so he would be basing his report on whatever other information he can gather.

From a real world perspective, I get the impression that "Umbrella Chronicles" was supposed to be a retelling of all the PSX games for a Nintendo audience, and so they attempted to cram stuff from Resident evil 3. 2 and Outbreak into 1 scenario (plus Ada's chapter). Thats why you can revisit locations from Outbreak in Racoons Destruction, which I thought was cool
I did not even notice the Outbreak connections, cool!

It makes sense now that you say it, I forgot Wesker is the one retelling the story. Thank you!

You know, I have changed my mind, I have fused the Remake and Non-Remake timelines again. I am puting the version of alternate retellings that I see as more canon without Italics and versions that are "less canon" in Italics. For the moment I am going to put the original 2, 3 and 4 and it's remake as equally canon, but maybe at some future pint I will change it again

ah I didnt just mean your RE6 timeline, but your overall timeline!

I think merging the remake/original timelines makes sense. Resident Evil canon appears to one that frequently retcons itself. For example, the RE1 remake replacing the original in canon while the original Re 2 and 3 being referenced alongside it in Umbrella/Darkside chronicles. We have also never seen a "canonical" version of Resident evil 1, with both Chris and Jill exploring the mansion independently and rescuing both Barry and Rebecca. The closest we got is the non-canonical SD perry novel

ah I didnt just mean your RE6 timeline, but your overall timeline!

I think merging the remake/original timelines makes sense. Resident Evil canon appears to one that frequently retcons itself. For example, the RE1 remake replacing the original in canon while the original Re 2 and 3 being referenced alongside it in Umbrella/Darkside chronicles. We have also never seen a "canonical" version of Resident evil 1, with both Chris and Jill exploring the mansion independently and rescuing both Barry and Rebecca. The closest we got is the non-canonical SD perry novel
Yes, I have always guess that the canon events are some mix of every contradictory depiction of events in the games:
What really happened in Raccoon City must be a mix between the events in
-Resident Evil 2 Leon A+Claire B
-Resident Evil 2 Claire A+Leon B
-Resident Evil 2 The Fourth Survivor
-Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (that in turn has slightly variations between the different outcomes of the QuickTime events, like Nicolai dying or not)
-Resident Evil Outbreak
-Resident Evil Outbreak 2
-Umbrella Chronicles
-Darkside Chronicles
-Resident Evil 2 Remake Leon A
-Resident Evil 2 Remake Leon B
-Resident Evil 2 Remake Claire A
-Resident Evil 2 Remake Claire B
-Resident Evil 2 Remake The Fourth Survivor
-Resident Evil 3 Remake
-That flashback in Degeneration were Claire has the shotgun

So it turns out that a cinema near me was showing Resident Evil: Death Island. Not at one of the big multiplex cinemas, not even in a busier part of the city, but just in a random suburb there was one random 3rd-rate chain cinema showing Death Island. So of course I had to see it, so I spent the weekend "binging" Heavenly Island/Vendetta/The Experience so that I can be caught up to see Death Island before moving on to playing 7/8.

As for my review, yeah its pretty good! probably my favorite of the animated films, but that might just be because I got to see it on the big screen. It was fun seeing the leads from Resi 1& 2 work together, and the villains portrayal was surprisingly intense and a little bit unsettling.

as for details on the timeline....

Movie begins with a scene in the 1998 Racoon city incident, and then flashes back to that incident several times throughout the movie. after the opening scene, we get the credits set over this "timeline" montage, which seemed to be using footage from the remakes, so I guess those games are going to be the prominent portrayal of those events moving forward. After the credits we get a nice little timecard saying "2015" and the rest of the movie (barring flashbacks) takes place over a couple of days in 2015, likely in the summer

so yeah, pretty good, finally get to move onto Resident evil 7 now!

Latest posts

Back