So... who's your favourite comic writer? ...artist?

fenway

Who's that person that seems to have the midas touch for you? Which writer, and/or, artist always seems to create comics 'magic' for you?

For me:

Writer: Matt Fraction or Ed Brubaker. Slight Edge to Brubaker - Both involved in Immortal Iron Fist!! ..and while Fraction's Casanova is my all-time favourite comic, its hard to ignore Fatale, Criminal, Incognito, Sleeper, etc etc.

Artist: Gabriel Ba - Artist on Casanova, Daytripper, Umbrella Academy? Everything he does is amazing! His brother Fabio Moon is exceptional, as is David Aja and Sean Phillips (my likely second)

How about you?

Last edited:
Writer - Marjorie Liu or Kat Immonen.

Artist - Sara Pichelli, Chris Bachalo or Skottie Young

I can't just pin it to one of each. If I could, comics would be pretty dull.

Alan Moore and J.H. Williams III. Not only are they consistently amazing but they have even worked together to create literal magic with Promethea.

To Jaggyd - Skottie Young is exceptional! Nice pick!
To Project - Alan Moore, at risk of stating the obvious, is a MASTER!! The artist, though - What else has he been on? (sorry to be ill-informed) - maybe a lot of DC? I'm not well-versed in DC :(

To Project - Alan Moore, at risk of stating the obvious, is a MASTER!! The artist, though - What else has he been on? (sorry to be ill-informed) - maybe a lot of DC? I'm not well-versed in DC :(

Mostly DC - Batman/Detective Comics, Batwoman, Desolation Jones, Seven Soldiers of Victory etc.

Writer(s): Chis Yost, Brian Michael Bendis, Matt Fraction, Mark Waid

Artist(s): Adi Granov, Clayton Crain, Tim Sale, Greg Capullo, Skottie Young, Greg Horn, Sana Takeda, Shunya Yama****a, Terry and Rachel Dodson, Mike Choi, Sonya Oback, Chris Bachallo, Tony Daniels, Sarah Pichelli, Carlos D'Anda, Humberto Ramos, Jim Lee, Siya Oum, Guillem March

There are more for both categories, but these are who I favor currently.

Last edited:
Mostly DC - Batman/Detective Comics, Batwoman, Desolation Jones, Seven Soldiers of Victory etc.

Man do I miss Desolation Jones. That book was amazing. ****ing Ellis not finishing projects.

I think i'm a little weird because my favorite writer and artists change wildly. Like I love Casanova with an unhealthy passion but a lot of Fractions corperate work has left me cold. Brubakers Criminal was consistantly great but Fatale isn't. On the other side of the coin Scott Snyder's Batman and Swamp Thing are two monthlies I love but i can't bring myself to care about American Vampire.

As for artists I like Gabriel Ba, Fabio Moon, Phil Hester, Yanique Paquette, JH Williams III, and a host of others. I'm fairly forgiving on art.

To Jaggyd - Skottie Young is exceptional! Nice pick!

JH Williams III is a master at mimicking other styles. He has his own incredible style, of course, and not many people have the imagination he does with page layouts, but check out his work in Seven Soldiers (#1 in particular, although that's the last issue of the series and I wouldn't recommend reading it without reading the rest) or in the Batman: Black Glove story (he did a 3-part arc that I *think* started in #667 but I can't check to be sure right now). In both examples he mimics the style of other artists whom different characters are sort of based off of (more so in Batman, which he did brilliantly).

Man do I miss Desolation Jones. That book was amazing. ****ing Ellis not finishing projects.

I was just clearing off some bookshelf space the other day and came across this and realized I really need to re-read it. It's great.

I am firmly in the Alan Moore camp. He is without a doubt in my mind one of the most brilliant creative forces of our time. Other favourites of mine include Warren Ellis, William Eisner (as an artist as well as writer) James Sturm, Neil Gaiman and special mention to new comer Neil Gibson.

I am firmly in the Alan Moore camp. He is without a doubt in my mind one of the most brilliant creative forces of our time. Other favourites of mine include Warren Ellis, William Eisner (as an artist as well as writer) James Sturm, Neil Gaiman and special mention to new comer Neil Gibson.

Wilkommen!

Grant Morrison is my favorite writer. Far and away. I also really like Ed Brubaker and Alan Moore.

Artists - I don't know if I could pick one favorite because I like books to have different tones to match the story, so some of my favorites are John Paul Leon, JH Williams III, Frank Quitely, Oliver Coipel, and Mark Buckingham. Those are guys who would draw me to a book just because they drew it, almost regardless of who wrote it or what it's about.

Latest posts

Back