Star Trek Into Darkness discussion (spoilers)

How would you rate Star Trek Into Darkness?

• Total voters

Captain Canuck

The poster formerly known as captaincanuck65
I hope I'm not starting a thread that already exists. I couldn't find another one.

So apparently there will be a 9-minute preview with The Hobbit in IMax theatres on Dec 14. That's really the first look anyone will get at the film. There haven't been any trailers yet or anything.

However, the poster was revealed today.

star-trek-into-darkness-debuts-dark-poster.jpg

And here's the official synopsis:

In Summer 2013, pioneering director J.J. Abrams will deliver an explosive action thriller that takes "Star Trek Into Darkness."

When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis.

With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction.

As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

I absolutely cannot wait for this. And I had no idea that there was a trailer with The Hobbit. 9 minutes! I'm excited.

I think I've mentioned this before but before the 2009 movie I couldn't have cared less about Star Trek. I didn't even dislike it; I just didn't care anything about it. But the previews for the movie were too good to not go see it, and I ended up loving it. It might be one of my top ten all time favorites.

Are you seeing the Hobbit in Imax on the 14th? b/c if not you won't get the 9-minute preview.

Last edited:

Hey look, its a teaser trailer!

[video]http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrekintodarkness/includes/automatic.html#videos-automatic[/video]

EDIT: oh, sorry. Apparently it's an announcement trailer. The teaser is coming on December 17.

what the heck. At least it isn't just a poster with one word or silhouettes of characters. They're still doing better than Marvel.

Last edited:

This is my most anticipated movie of 2013. I am ready to be Cumberbatched.

I really hope this is good, but I am really underwhelmed that the villain is seeking revenge on the Federation by using the Federation's weapon to blow up the Federation. This is them ripping off WRATH OF KHAN for a second time in two movies. Hopefully it'll be more than that. If nothing else, Cumberbatch and the rest of the cast will be a joy I'm sure.

Is there a difference between ripping it off and using the elements that made it popular and retooling them for a new fan base?

Maybe The Wrath of Khan is the only Star Trek J.J. Abrams and the writers have seen.

I agree with the people that think Benedict Cumberbatch is playing Gary Mitchell.

Is there a difference between ripping it off and using the elements that made it popular and retooling them for a new fan base?

There is a difference, but it comes down to intention and it's very murky waters, and more importantly, it's rarely important how intentional one intends to copy/rip off/remake someone else's story. I'm using exaggerated language but I don't mean to accuse them of plagiarism. I'm being inelegant in my speech.

What I'm really concerned with is the product. Honestly; I don't care how many times they remake WRATH OF KHAN without ever coming out and directly admitting it, provided it's awesome. I would rather get new Trek stories and original ideas I've not seen before, but I don't mind them remaking it, really. MAD MAX 2 is a remake of the former, it's hardly a problem. If STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS turns out to be a better version of WRATH OF KHAN than WRATH OF KHAN itself, I will be so very, very happy.

However, I am upset at their lack of originality. One can keep certain conventions of structure and idea without repetition, but by variance. For example, an Indiana Jones movies is going to be everyone searching for an artifact. But the fun is which part of the world will they go to? Arabia, South America, India? Where the go informs what culture the artifact will come from, the mythology around it, and then, there's the fun of who is Indiana Jones racing against? Nazis, Communists, Thuggees? James Bond is similar; the conventions and similarities between the different movies is all important to them being "James Bond", but the variations are what keeps it fresh. For STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS, the problem isn't so much that a villain wants to destroy the Federation and it's high-octane action, rather, that he's after revenge again. Khan was after revenge, so was Nero. The Borg weren't. They wanted to conquer the Federation. Tolian Soran wanted to get into heaven. Ru'afo wanted immortality (and vengeance, but not against the Federation). Shinzon wanted to kill, not out of revenge, but just because out of a general hatred of life. Sybok wanted to meet God. Kruge wanted Genesis. Now, granted, STAR TREK was better than many of the other Trek movies, but the point is, even if a villain shows up and wants to kill everyone, revenge isn't the only motivator.

However, it's just the teaser. Maybe there's more (but I doubt it, based on the writers' track records). And if it's better than KHAN, excellent. But as of now, I'm rather torn; on the one hand, it looks really exciting and interesting, but on the other, I'm really underwhelmed by not only the lack of originality, but the compounding of what I felt was a mistake in the first that they seem to think was the success.

But yes; "rip off" is a prejudicial term, but I'm only using it to put a name to my feelings towards the movie, not as a serious indictment as to the motivating inspirations of the film itself.

Maybe The Wrath of Khan is the only Star Trek J.J. Abrams and the writers have seen.

I agree with the people that think Benedict Cumberbatch is playing Gary Mitchell.

It probably is. Every reference in STAR TREK to the original show was to WRATH OF KHAN and nowhere else. (Ok; "Wictor Wictor" was a reference to THE VOYAGE HOME.)

Also; Cumberbatch is clearly Mitchell. We will certainly see flashbacks to Kirk and Mitchell in the academy before Mitchell went off to join some top secret black ops genetic engineering programme designed to make supermen to fight Klingons and he's been 'retired' and cut off like Jason Bourne and he's super pissed off and wants vengeance for what they've done to him.

To be honest, I quite like the idea of Gary Mitchell being some sort of Starfleet experiment. It's a nice 'ultimization'. I'm just annoyed that they missed the opportunity to have him be one of the main cast members in the previous film and really take the time to set up Kirk and Mitchell's friendship.

I also think that originally the villain was Khan and when they couldn't get Benicio Del Toro, they kept everything the same but used the Mitchell character since Cumberbatch and Pine are of a similar age and Cumberbatch isn't hispanic. It's resourceful.

Are you seeing the Hobbit in Imax on the 14th? b/c if not you won't get the 9-minute preview.

ONLY on the 14th? If so then probably not. I'll have to wait and see if it leaks online.

That one minute teaser is great.

I heard a theory that Cumberbatch was Khan's second in command today and that Peter Weller's character I going to be Khan. I like it quite a bit.

I forgot Peter Weller was going to be in this! I love that guy!

I thought Abrams and Co said that Nero was kinda their version of Khan? Unless they just plan on doing variations of Khan in all of their films. haha

If you look at the trailer, you'll see that Cumby (that's what he's called now) fights Klingons and then Kirk et al show up.

So I think the plot is: Kirk and crew go to a planet. There are Klingons. Cumby saves them from Klingons. Somehow this pisses off the Enterprise crew. Cumby takes control of the spaceship (like in SPACE SEED) and heads for Earth. Kirk crashes the Enterprise to stop Cumby. Cumby gets out of the Enterprise and runs across San Francisco to kill Bilbo Baggins. Spock chases after him to eat his brains. Spock kills Cumby but dies. Kirk holds memorial for Spock. The end. Post credit sequence: Spock never died and faked his death at Reichenbach and swears vengeance on the Federation, taking notes from Nero and Cumby on what they did wrong. Fan reaction: Fans bemoan that Cumby was Gary Mitchell when he was clearly supposed to be Khan and they changed the name when they couldn't get Del Toro, and are amazed Peter Weller played Garth of Izar because seriously, Garth of Izar? Really? The double-end.

You know I'm 5000% right.

(In all seriousness, I reckon Del Toro was to be Khan, and when he didn't get cast and they got Cumberbatch, they did a little rejigger and made him Gary Mitchell.)

Last edited:

"Because he's the hero Starfleet deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. Mr. Spock."

I'm not sure Cumberbatch is playing Gary Mitchell for kind of a strange reason. I downloaded the first few issues of IDW's ongoing Star Trek comic (which is set in the new rebooted movie-verse and picks up a little while after the movie). The first story arc involved a reboot of the Gary Mitchell plot, where he's a friend of Kirk's from the academy, obtains God-like powers, attacks the crew, etc. But the comic (which ran through issues #1-2 of the series) ended with Mitchell regaining some sense of control long enough to allow Kirk to shoot and kill him. It could be assumed he survived, except the comic clearly shows them ejecting caskets of Mitchell and another crew member killed.

Now the thing is, one of the writers of the ST films, Roberto Orci, is overseeing the comics and they're supposed to be in-continuity/canon with the movies, not side-stories. If Cumberbatch is playing Mitchell, its probably due to, like Bass said, them originally intending Del Toro to play Khan, and when he bowed out, replacing the villain as Gary Mitchell.

Which presumably destroys the comics as canon. No big deal.

I think he's playing the Riddler.

Latest posts

Back