Star Wars - The Old Republic

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
Anyone play this? I downloaded it and gave it a try the other day. It's pretty good.

I know it's no longer canon, but it's still a pretty fun and decent MMORPG.

Even better is it's free to play. You can spend money to upgrade your character or unlock certain features if you want, but even playing completely free it's lots of fun.

Sorry if there was already a thread for this, couldn't find one when searching.

I'm really enjoying this game. There's so much to do (a huge number of quests, you can recruit companions, play as a variety of different character types--Jedi, smuggler, bounty hunter, various Imperial roles, so many options).

There are a number of planets to visit with huge areas to explore and do missions in. I've only been to two since I'm only Lvl 15 (Kyloth, the starting planet for Jedi, and Coruscant), but I know Tatooine, Hoth, Endor, and all the planets from the films are visitable.

There's even space battle ship dogfighting. It's pretty cool.

The companions seem awesome. So far I've only obtained an astromech droid and a female Jedi padawan, but I've seen people with Wookies, Ewoks, various droids, and a huge number of different aliens as companions.

I'm dual wielding a lightsaber in each hand due to my specialization (of which there are a huge number depending on your class). All weapons are upgradeable and you can use (depending on class) lightsabers, blasters, and a bunch of other different weapons.

It's pretty standard RPG, with leveling up, learning and upgrading new skills and specializations, increasing companion affection, a vast number of quests, obtaining new and better equipment, etc.

There's a bit of a learning curve to the game since there's so darn much to do, but it's presented gradually so you get to know everything pretty well.

I'm just about finishing up my quests on Coruscant and likely will be getting my own ship soon, as well as being able to travel to other planets at will.

Definitely one of, if not the most, engrossing Star Wars games I've ever played. Highly recommend it.

And a note to anyone who wants to give it a try. It's free. You can pay to be a subscriber and unlock certain aspects free players can't, but as far as I know all missions, planets, etc are available to free players. I'd just double check to see if your PC can run the game before downloading it, but most computers built in the last five or six years should be able to handle it.

Highly recommended.

DIB convinced me. It's decent. Probably better if I was actually following the story and not trying to race to getting a lightsaber lol

DIB convinced me. It's decent. Probably better if I was actually following the story and not trying to race to getting a lightsaber lol

You'll get your lightsaber around Lvl 10-12 (it varies with which class you choose). You'll get your other companion not long after (another Jedi), and after doing missions on Coruscant for awhile you'll get your own ship (around Lvl 16 or 17). And you can unlock the speeder at Lvl 25 (Lvl 20 if you're a subscriber, but screw that, I'm cheap).

We need to get more TCB posters playing this game. It's free, dammit! And it's pretty fun.

If you've ever played a Bioware RPG before (Mass Effect, Dragon Age, SW-Knights of the Old Republic, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Jade Empire), then you'll have a pretty good idea of what the game involves: doing missions, collecting better armor and weapons, choice of how you interact with the NPCs through dialogue options, knocking boots with your companion(s).

But it's far bigger and longer with far more to do than any of their other games, since it's an online MMO and not just a console game.

My biggest problem is that this is easily one of the most repetitive games I've ever played. It needs puzzles, platforming, etc instead of just running from place to place to kill/collect something. Also what's the likelihood of this becoming canon again?

My biggest problem is that this is easily one of the most repetitive games I've ever played. It needs puzzles, platforming, etc instead of just running from place to place to kill/collect something. Also what's the likelihood of this becoming canon again?

I can agree with that to an extent, but keep in mind this game isn't a puzzle/platformer, it's an RPG. The whole point of RPGs is to level up, obtain better equipment and weapons, and fight progressively stronger opponents. This game does that and far more, in spades.

There are puzzle aspects later in the game on some missions, as you'll see.

And yes, the first fifteen levels or so are repetitive, but it gets far less so as you start being able to traverse the galaxy, visiting different planets, once you get your ship.

Also, considering the huge amount of alternate aspects of the game besides the main story missions, repetitive isn't an accurate description. There's group battles, PvP, group quests, Ops, starfighter battles of three types (PvP 1-on-1, group PvP, and rail shooter missions), daily and weekly events, World Bosses, and the upcoming Guild Starship thing. Not to mention the ability to choose a wide variety of races, classes, and builds for your character, as well as further and extensive abilities to shape the story as you want through different dialogue options (if you want to be a true hero, you can do that; if you want to be a dick, you can do that, too; if you're a Jedi but decide you want to go to the Dark Side, you can do that, and vice versa), you can romance a variety of companions and NPCs, etc. There's a huge amount of fun and interesting stuff to do. So no, simply labeling it as repetitive isn't fair. Nor is expecting platformer gameplay in an MMORPG realistic or apt. You did realize what type of game you were downloading, didn't you?

Plus, I love the main story and side missions. Granted, the "go here/do this" or "collect this" might bore you, but that's also probably because you're rushing through the dialogue and not paying attention to the story and motivation for why you're doing those things. I also wonder why you'd even bother playing a game if you're just going to largely ignore the storyline and not pay much attention to how you're developing your character.

Further, there is a lot of variety in the missions later on. Last night I did a group mission on Tatooine where I had to rescue some humans from a Gamorrean thug and his gang that were throwing them one by one into a Sarlacc Pit. Not only was it a very cool atmosphere to be fighting in next to this gaping maw in the desert, but it was also possible to knock the Gamorreans into the pit using a Force Push.

Point is, the whole point of RPGs is to develop your character and guide the story. Bioware does that better than any other RPG video game company out there, as their Mass Effect and Dragon Age games attest. And that may not be your cup of tea. I can understand that. You may want to stick with platformers instead. This isn't that type of game.

I'm not asking for platforming specifically merely using it as an example of another type of gameplay. No, I don't expect platforming from an MMORPG, I expect a better story and better gameplay. All it is is running from place to place to collect or kill something. Even what you described sounds like a variation of that. I stopped following it because I didn't like it and figured that it may get better once you get a lightsaber since it's just the beginning. Marvel Heroes the story was interesting from the start so the repetitive gameplay was easier to deal with. I'm going to play until I reach the max level for free users and then probably quit since I'm so not paying for this game. There's too much walking and it gets really irritating when I'm trying to attack and he keeps trying to pick stuff up. I've died so many times because of that. Other than those I'm having fun.

EDIT: Holy crap I just realized what this was missing! A hot 80's soundtrack! My phone went off and Cars started playing during the mission and it worked so well! So did Def Leppard.

Last edited:
I'm not asking for platforming specifically merely using it as an example of another type of gameplay. No, I don't expect platforming from an MMORPG, I expect a better story and better gameplay. All it is is running from place to place to collect or kill something. Even what you described sounds like a variation of that. I stopped following it because I didn't like it and figured that it may get better once you get a lightsaber since it's just the beginning. Marvel Heroes the story was interesting from the start so the repetitive gameplay was easier to deal with. I'm going to play until I reach the max level for free users and then probably quit since I'm so not paying for this game.

I stopped playing Marvel Heroes because I found it's story to be insanely boring.

Also; I'm not sure how what I described sounds like only more fetch quests. Starship fighting, PvP, group quests, etc certainly isn't that.

[quoteThere's too much walking and it gets really irritating when I'm trying to attack and he keeps trying to pick stuff up. I've died so many times because of that. Other than those I'm having fun. [/quote]

The running does get old. Once you hit Lvl 25 and unlock the speeder ability (it costs like 35,000 so start saving around Lvl 20, but by then you get a lot more credits from missions and gear so it won't take long), it makes traversing the levels much faster and far less annoying. Also, if you go around enemies they won't attack you. Sometimes that's impossible, but the vast majority of the times it is.

EDIT: Holy crap I just realized what this was missing! A hot 80's soundtrack! My phone went off and Cars started playing during the mission and it worked so well! So did Def Leppard.

That's actually brilliant.

I stopped playing Marvel Heroes because I found it's story to be insanely boring.

Also; I'm not sure how what I described sounds like only more fetch quests. Starship fighting, PvP, group quests, etc certainly isn't that.

Unless the battle system for PvP is different I'd consider it the same. When can I do starship fights? I'd prefer something with turn by turn, JRPG, or like Battlefront but with RPG stuff in it.

Side note: Transformers Universe, the new Transformers MOTA that I was REALLY looking forward to, sucks. People said it was like League of Legends (which I thought had a story since I've never played it) and I was like "oh, a TON of people play that so it must be great". NOPE. Oh well, at least it's free.

That's actually brilliant.

I was cruising in a taxi and Cars went on and I was like "I'm gonna listen to 80's from now on". Then I got killed because my guy wanted to pick up items instead of defending himself while Pour Some Sugar On Me played in the background.

Last edited:
Unless the battle system for PvP is different I'd consider it the same. When can I do starship fights? I'd prefer something with turn by turn, JRPG, or like Battlefront but with RPG stuff in it. Side note: Transformers Universe, the new Transformers MOTA that I was REALLY looking forward to, sucks. People said it was like League of Legends (which I thought had a story since I've never played it) and I was like "oh, a TON of people play that so it must be great". NOPE. Oh well, at least it's free.

There's a couple different PvP aspects. One is one on one PvP which you can do against other players. I'm not sure of the specifics because I haven't tried it yet. Another is a team PvP thing called Huttball where you play in (I think, can't remember) 8 vs 8 teams in an arena and try to carry the Huttball to the opposing team's goal. You can take the Huttball from opposing players by killing them or you can toss it to people on your team.

Starfighter matches open up I think at level 10. That'll allow you to do team battles of a variety of different types. Once you unlock your ship around level 16 you can do another form which is sort of a on rails approach (the computer controls your course but you can still move your ship to avoid laser fire and use the mouse to aim and take out other fighters and guns/shield generators on large capital ships and space stations. I really enjoy that. I suck at the PvP starfighter battles because I need to upgrade my ships more.

Also, I've never been a fan of JRPG turn based battles. Never liked stuff like Pokemon or the old school Final Fantasy games. Just not my thing.

I was cruising in a taxi and Cars went on and I was like "I'm gonna listen to 80's from now on". Then I got killed because my guy wanted to pick up items instead of defending himself while Pour Some Sugar On Me played in the background.

Lol.

Why are you picking up items during battles? You have to right click on enemies to pick up stuff so I'm not sure how you're accidentally doing that during battles.

What level are you at currently? Once you hit Lvl 10 and can chat in group I'll join you and help you out. Will make it easy since my character is a beast compared to your current planet's enemies.

There's a couple different PvP aspects. One is one on one PvP which you can do against other players. I'm not sure of the specifics because I haven't tried it yet. Another is a team PvP thing called Huttball where you play in (I think, can't remember) 8 vs 8 teams in an arena and try to carry the Huttball to the opposing team's goal. You can take the Huttball from opposing players by killing them or you can toss it to people on your team.

Starfighter matches open up I think at level 10. That'll allow you to do team battles of a variety of different types. Once you unlock your ship around level 16 you can do another form which is sort of a on rails approach (the computer controls your course but you can still move your ship to avoid laser fire and use the mouse to aim and take out other fighters and guns/shield generators on large capital ships and space stations. I really enjoy that. I suck at the PvP starfighter battles because I need to upgrade my ships more.

Also, I've never been a fan of JRPG turn based battles. Never liked stuff like Pokemon or the old school Final Fantasy games. Just not my thing.

Lol.

Why are you picking up items during battles? You have to right click on enemies to pick up stuff so I'm not sure how you're accidentally doing that during battles.

What level are you at currently? Once you hit Lvl 10 and can chat in group I'll join you and help you out. Will make it easy since my character is a beast compared to your current planet's enemies.

Lol Star Wars football.

I was hoping you'd be able to free control the ship :\ Starship fights are my favorite thing in Battlefront 2.

I LOVE JRPGs and turn by turn. Fire Emblem is incredible. I'm currently playing Xenoblade Chronicles though. I'm about 90 hours in.

Right click is attack and the bodies drop and other guys are near that I need to kill first.

I'm at level five. Doing a level a day if I can.

Last edited:
Lol Star Wars football. I was hoping you'd be able to free control the ship :\ Starship fights are my favorite thing in Battlefront 2.

There are starship fights with complete control in the PvP battles, where you fly small fighters, that era's versions X-wings and TIE fighters. Just the on rail version is for when you're flying your large ship (a sort of hybrid between the Millenium Falcon and a blockade runner ship Leia is on at the beginning of ANH) and doing the starship missions. I kind of prefer the more simplified approach of those, but rest assured, the more complicated starfighter approach is there as well, much like the old X-Wing games on PC from the 90's, but with much better graphics and interface.

I LOVE JRPGs and turn by turn. Fire Emblem is incredible. I'm currently playing Xenoblade Chronicles though. I'm about 90 hours in.

Never been a fan of JRPGs.

Right click is attack and the bodies drop and other guys are near that I need to kill first. I'm at level five. Doing a level a day if I can.

Use left click to target, force jump to initiate attack (though you probably don't have that ability yet), and then use the keyboard (1-0) to assign attacks. I've found using the basic attack as 1 with left hand and intermittently using the mouse with right to do other attacks as they recharge works the best.

Last edited:
I have played this when it first came out :) I love it it's my personal favourite MMO just because of the bioware choice wheels as unlike other MMOs it feels more like MY character if that makes sense? To be RPGs were meant to be digital versions of old D&D style games and Bioware choices + creation are perfect for that. The old republic is great i love the story + pvp is also fun with the twists likew making it feel like a sports game

There are starship fights with complete control in the PvP battles, where you fly small fighters, that era's versions X-wings and TIE fighters. Just the on rail version is for when you're flying your large ship (a sort of hybrid between the Millenium Falcon and a blockade runner ship Leia is on at the beginning of ANH) and doing the starship missions. I kind of prefer the more simplified approach of those, but rest assured, the more complicated starfighter approach is there as well, much like the old X-Wing games on PC from the 90's, but with much better graphics and interface.

Never been a fan of JRPGs.

Use left click to target, force jump to initiate attack (though you probably don't have that ability yet), and then use the keyboard (1-0) to assign attacks. I've found using the basic attack as 1 with left hand and intermittently using the mouse with right to do other attacks as they recharge works the best.

F YES!

Is it because they take a 1000 hours?

I didn't know you could use the numbers. I'll try that on Friday.

I have played this when it first came out :) I love it it's my personal favourite MMO just because of the bioware choice wheels as unlike other MMOs it feels more like MY character if that makes sense? To be RPGs were meant to be digital versions of old D&D style games and Bioware choices + creation are perfect for that. The old republic is great i love the story + pvp is also fun with the twists likew making it feel like a sports game

Do you still play? If so you should group up with me and wyo sometime. Though you may be playing on a different server.

F YES!

Is it because they take a 1000 hours?

Um... what?

I didn't know you could use the numbers. I'll try that on Friday.

How'd you miss that? The abilities pad at the bottom center of the screen literally has the numbers on the first row.

I'd recommend placing your main abilities there as well as using one for med packs. That'll reduce your dying rate considerably.

Um... what?

JRPGs are notoriously long.

Oh wait, no I did remember I could do that because I did it to use a medpack and it didn't work because I got killed while I pressed the button.

How come?

Some of the changes , the servers been cut ect... I just could not be bothered with it. IMO MMOs go down hill fast after they go f2p example DC universe on PS3 is almost unplayable now to me

Latest posts

Back