The Avengers discussion (spoilers!)

How would you rate The Avengers?

• Total voters

Hellsbuttmonkey

Ok, I just got back from seeing it. SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

This was what I have been waiting for. It freaking rocks. There are some very strong Whedon vibes throughout the film, with some of his classic styles in there, but as Joss Whedon's ***** I was OK with this. A few spoilers....

Yes, Coulson dies, Loki stabs him through the back when he confronts him on the helicarrier.

Yes, the end credits show THANOS as the next villain.

Hulk rocks. THIS is the best Hulk I have seen, he takes out Loki at the end in one of the best moments of the whole film, with the line "Puny God...."

The one thing I was worried about was that it would turn into the Iron Man and Friends show, with RDJ overshadowing the rest. This never happens and each character gets their fair share of cool.

I can't wait to see this again.

Re: Avengers movie discussion (news/etc.)

It was pretty, pretty, pretty good. I have minor nitpicks but they don't detract from how entertaining the film is. It's easily the best Marvel film yet and my second favourite film of the year so far.

[video=youtube;O_05qJTeNNI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_05qJTeNNI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

I just watched it today. Holy crap! It was awesome. I'm sorry if this in an unpopular opinion but this movie proves one thing. Joss Whedon > Christopher Nolan. Seriously it's that's good that I honestly don't think Dark Knight Rises will be as good (the other two weren't) As while the dark knight films were good (i love them.) THIS is what a comic book movie should be.

I think The Dark Knight has a thematic depth that The Avengers lacks but they're both great. I don't understand why people (not necessarily you, Mole, but a bunch of people on Facebook/Twitter) keep comparing the two anyway: the only thing they have in common is that they're both superhero films (and they're very different in tone and style). Do we really need Marvel vs. DC in film as well?

Chris Nolan:
Inception
Dark Knight
Memento
Prestige
Batman Begins
Insomnia

Joss Whedon:
Serenity
Avengers

Unless I'm mistaken, these are their movie directorial credits

Now - I know Whedon is more diverse, with his hand in TV and Comics (and some GREAT projects in those mediums, as well as some wonderful screenwriting credits), but if he's to be compared to a movie director, its going to take a lot more for me to take 'Whedon>Nolan' seriously.

That being said, I prefer Marvel over DC, and would LOVE for Whedon's Avengers to be great (and based on what I've heard, its BETTER than great)!

Last edited:

I think The Dark Knight has a thematic depth that The Avengers lacks but they're both great. I don't understand why people (not necessarily you, Mole, but a bunch of people on Facebook/Twitter) keep comparing the two anyway: the only thing they have in common is that they're both superhero films (and they're very different in tone and style). Do we really need Marvel vs. DC in film as well?

I think, at least to me. It's because after the dark knight came out it suddenly became the measuring stick for comic movies. So we now have one that raises the bar again it's normal to use the previous in context. Just like game wise any fighting game gets compared to street fighter. Not because the are similar but rather because the genre of "fighting games" street fighter is the measuring stick. Does that make sense.

I've split the posts off into a new thread and added a poll. Go nuts!

I think, at least to me. It's because after the dark knight came out it suddenly became the measuring stick for comic movies. So we now have one that raises the bar again it's normal to use the previous in context. Just like game wise any fighting game gets compared to street fighter. Not because the are similar but rather because the genre of "fighting games" street fighter is the measuring stick. Does that make sense.

Yes, that makes more sense than the Batman/DC/Nolan vs. Avengers/Marvel/Whedon thing that others have been doing. I'm just glad that this is how good comic book films have become. We are lucky!

If you like Joss Whedon and/or The Ultimates, then you'll probably like The Avengers. It's kind of like the best of both of them.

I don't know who to believe!

In all our years as board owner and member, I've never lied to you. Trust me. It's the logical choice.

The film is visually amazing, the story is great fun and the characters are excellently realized. As we now have spoilers allowed...
How freaking awesome was Hulk vs Loki????!?!

Loved the moment between Loki and Stark as well, where he tried to take control of him, only to realize the arc reactor was blocking his powers.. "Um, this usually works..."

Tragic that they killed off Coulson though. But I expected something, being a Joss Whedon fanboy and knowing Joss' love for executing loved characters to further the story. Coulson made sense, at least in terms of who could be killed off without affecting the potential for sequels. I imagine the meetings went something like:

Whedon: Ok, so who can I kill?
Camera pans around RDJ, Evans, Ruffalo, Johannson, Hemsworth, Renner.... and then there is Gregg, sat there with a star trek red shirt on.
Gregg: Damn.

THANOS!!!!!

Last edited:
This movie kicks ass! I have seen it twice already and cant get over how good it was, how much fun it was to see Iron Man vs Thor, Thor vs Hulk, Cap vs Loki...Hulk vs Loki (the BEST!) Robert Downey Jr is the funniest, but each character gets its fair share...

Bring it on, (SPOILER)

Thanos!!!!!!

Just a reminder: posts from this thread will appear in the sidebar on the main page, so please be wary when posting something spoilerish about the film.

Hulk rocks. THIS is the best Hulk I have seen, he takes out Loki at the end in one of the best moments of the whole film, with the line "Puny God...."

couldn't stop laughing when i saw that, had to rewind that and play that again. (gotta love the internet). was it just me or did Chris Evans as Captain America seem to get get even bigger(muscle) since the cap movie?

Last edited:
You really watched a cam recording of The Avengers?

Latest posts

Back