• Captain America

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Hawkeye

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • Iron Man

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • Wasp

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • None of the above (obviously, you're not paying attention)

Votes: 22 30.1%

• Total voters

Bass

Nexus of the World
Yes, it’s time. Since it has been said that The Ultimates 2 #7 will reveal the identity of the traitor, I have decided to try to collect what we have on the traitor so far, since it seems that if the traitor is revealed next issue, then this means all the clues we’ll have to his/her identity are out.

Unlike my other manifesto, I’m am not as convinced about the identity of the traitor as I was about Loki’s authenticity. This is either because Hitllar have done a better job burying the information, or it’s because they haven’t given us enough yet.

I will first take Occam’s Razor and begin by eliminating as many characters from suspicion as possible, then dwelling on the remaining candidates.

theresawolfinthefold4cy.jpg

This means the traitor is part of the Ultimates and therefore, one of the following: Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Giant Man, Wasp, Nick Fury, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch or Quicksilver.

Sadly, there’s no indication of who Loki’s friends are, so we can’t use this to eliminate or suspect anyone on the list.

Immediately however, we can cross Thor off of our list. Loki can’t reveal to Thor that there is a traitor in the Ultimates if Thor is the traitor. Doesn’t make any sense at all.

We can also cross of the Hulk, because the traitor’s action was to expose Banner as the Hulk. If Hulk is the traitor, so far all he has done is betray himself.

Again, we do not know the full motives behind the traitor’s actions, and we can only guess at the mindset. No one on the list has apparently despised or loved Banner, and again, the fact that the traitor sentenced Banner to the death penalty there is no evidence to discern motives.

thetraitor6te.jpg

The next inkling of the traitor came here. We can now cross Giant Man from our list, since he is talking to the traitor.

This is precisely all we know about the traitor from this issue:
• The traitor is happier now that s/he has betrayed the Ultimates.
• The traitor is trying to court Giant Man to betray the Ultimates.
• The traitor once believed in the USA, but no longer due to its conservative nature.
• The traitor was with the Ultimates when they crippled a nation.
• The traitor drinks coffee.
• The traitor puts something into his/her coffee that requires him/her to stir it.
• The traitor knows how to operate a television by remote control.
• The traitor is Caucasian.

We can eliminate Nick Fury, as he is not Caucasian.

We can also eliminate Black Widow, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver since neither of these has ever believed in the United States of America. Black Widow is a Russian super spy who wanted a better job, and Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are former mutant terrorists who tried to overthrow the US government, and reformed for political favour.

This leaves only four candidates: Captain America, Iron Man, Wasp, and Hawkeye. Let’s see which of the four fits the bills:

“The traitor is happier now that s/he has betrayed the Ultimates.” It seems that only Hawkeye is no happier than when he first appeared. Captain America, Wasp, and Iron Man are all happier, though this could be based on the fact that they finally have solid relationships.

“The traitor is trying to court Giant Man to betray the Ultimates.” Hawkeye and Iron Man have seemed indifferent to Giant Man ever since the beginning of the story. Wasp has loved him, hated him, and now seems far more civil. Captain America has beaten the crap out of Giant Man and is continuously hostile to him. It would seem on this basis, Wasp is more likely than any of the others.

“The traitor once believed in the USA, but no longer believes in it due to its conservative nature.” Captain America, Iron Man and Hawkeye all have had strong allegiances to the USA and so its possible they’ve been disillusioned, and they have each griped about the current USA in one form or another. Captain America rants about swearing and body-piercings, Iron Man is disgusted by strip-mining and the possibility of being used as a weapon of mass destruction, while Hawkeye states he misses the good old days. Wasp has never mentioned opinions on the state of the USA one way or another, making her the least likely.

“The traitor was with the Ultimates when they crippled a nation.” If we look, we can see only Captain America. It’s certainly possible that Hawkeye, Iron Man, or Wasp are present, but we can’t see them. Out of these three, it’s even more possible that Iron Man was present as he could lift one of the missiles, while Wasp and Hawkeye could not. Also, we know the traitor was there because s/he knew that the people were terrified of them. This makes Captain America seem the most likely.

“The traitor drinks coffee.” “The traitor puts something into his/her coffee that requires him/her to stir it.” We don’t see what is in the mug, but coffee doesn’t require stirring on its own. It’s possible sugar, milk, some kind of powdered substance, or alcohol has been added. Though this is total speculation, and it yields no conclusive answers.

“The traitor knows how to operate a television by remote control.” We’ve already established that the traitor must be technologically savvy, which, considering Captain America is out of time, and Hawkeye can’t operate a cellular phone’s text messaging capability, leaves Iron Man and Wasp more likely. But this is a remote control, and thus, it’s most likely not an indication of the traitor’s abilities.

“The traitor is Caucasian.” Sadly, this no longer helps.

So, let’s go back and take a look at what the traitor has done so far.

wheresitcomingfrom8ru.jpg

The traitor revealed to the news media several high-clearance SHIELD files, the most potent of which was the identity of the Hulk being Bruce Banner who is currently being held in the Triskelion and on the Ultimates’ payroll.

When this happened, Wasp and Captain America are both at a dinner with several witnesses. Hawkeye was asleep in his bed, and Banner was in his cell, reading and watching television.

In the next issue, we are unsure of how much time has passed between the first and second issues. It is possible that the submarine rescue takes place before the end of #1, but there is no indication. If it takes place afterwards, several of the Ultimates no longer have an alibi.

In any case, the indication is not much time has passed if any, but we see that Black Widow and Iron Man are present at the submarine rescue, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are relaxing in Venice, while Thor was watching the broadcast in an undisclosed city.

Nick Fury and Giant Man are unaccounted for. However, these are also two people who cannot be the traitor.

So, out of the four suspects, who is it?

It could be that the traitor set up a time-delayed system to send the information directly to the media at a later date, but this would mean the traitor is capable of such a technological feat.

Let’s assume this is not the case, that the traitor had to manually and personally send the information at the time it was sent; this means Wasp, Captain America, and Hawkeye were all otherwise engaged when the information was leaked, leaving Iron Man the prime suspect as the only eligible character without an alibi – assuming that the events in #2 happen long enough after the reveal in #1 to allow for Iron Man to get into his suit and get to the submarine, which takes a long time. Professor Braddock mentions that Iron Man was called out at short notice, meaning that it’s possible, but unlikely. The implication is that not much time has passed at all between issues.

If we assume that indeed, there hasn’t been enough time for Iron Man to get into his suit and to the submarine in Europe since the broadcast, then the traitor has an alibi must have rigged a system to send the information automatically. This is possible considering the way the news man seems to be reacting to the sudden and continuous data steam that has suddenly appeared on their computers.

Regardless, the traitor must know enough about technology and the media to send this material through to the media. Both Hawkeye and Captain America have displayed problems with technology, and both of these heroes use primitive weapons; a bow and arrow, and a shield respectively. This would make Wasp and Iron Man more likely.

However, there is no clear way to eliminate any of the four remaining suspects from leaking the Hulk information, and so all four remain.

While Giant Man implies that the traitor has performed multiple betrayals, the only one we’ve seen is the Hulk leak, and its fall out, one of which is that the Ultimates is being highly studied by others so that they can’t doctor their books.

It’s possible that the leak of Captain Italy is linked, but there’s no evidence to connect that.

Also, in “The Defenders”, in the scene with the traitor, we can see Captain America’s costume on Pym’s bed. It’s unlikely that Captain America showed up, with his costume, took it off, and put it on Pym’s bed. It’s much more likely that Pym did indeed dress as Captain America for the Valkyrie.

We could go more obscure and say that in “The Passion”, when Thor yells traitors, that this was foreshadowing, and that would mean Iron Man or Wasp is the traitor since they are the only two of the four present in that scene.

At this point, we’ve run into speculation.

For example; Loki and the traitor themselves are lying to an extent. However, if I assume this is the case, then its impossible to work out the traitor as there is no indication which parts of their statements are true or false. So, I have chosen to assume that everything they’ve said is true.

Out of the four remaining suspects, any can be looked at with a “they’re the traitor” eyes and see things that may not be there.

For example, if we were to say Wasp is the traitor, we could say that one hint is that she’s purposely betrayed Hank to get closer to Captain America. That’s why she tells him to stop hanging out with his old buddies and meet new people. She’s lied before, claiming she wasn’t a mutant, and she obviously has the know-how to drip feed the media.

If we were to say Hawkeye is the traitor, we could say that this is why he’s always absent at meetings, why he couldn’t be contacted in “Brothers”, why he was willing to shoot Thor in the head in “The Passion”, or say that his desire to return to the “good old days” with Nick Fury were more than nostalgia.

If we were to say that it’s Iron Man, we could point out that he’s technological genius and could easily drip feed the media, as well as he has stated that he will not go into rogue states to attack third-world countries, or that saying that ‘killing’ Banner is why he drinks is an alluding to his disenfranchisement with the group.

If we were to say that Captain America is the traitor, well we could suggest that Captain America staged two confrontations to make him appear less suspicious; calling Giant Man “Pym” in “The Defenders”, and picking a fight with Thor in “Dead Man Walking”. We could also read a lot into the fact that Captain America was the first person to suggest Thor was responsible for the leak.

The problem with this is that the traitor must have lied at some point during the 19 issues so far, and there is no way to prove who is telling the truth, just guessing.

With this exhausted, I turn to one source of information to help. Bryan Hitch.

hawkeyesfamily8rx.jpg

Bryan Hitch has stated on Millarworld that he had to draw the massacre of an Ultimates’ family. Captain America has no family, save Bucky and Gail. Wasp’s family has never been shown, neither has Iron Man. Hawkeye’s family has and as we can see, security is lacking. If, indeed, Hawkeye’s family is killed, it would seem to eliminate Hawkeye from the running.

tonysdesires1oc.jpg

Bryan Hitch in the hardcover to the first volume states that the scene between Iron Man and Nick Fury in this issue preempts “something major” in the Ultimates 2. Since this has yet to happen, the traitor is a possibility. Indeed, we could argue that this is the first seed of what the traitor describes as disillusionment with the USA. It does indeed set the seed that Iron Man is not happy with the state of the USA at the moment, and perhaps what he hoped would be a saving grace has been a disappointment.

Sadly, based solely on the issues available… I am unable to narrow it down beyond four suspects: Captain America, Wasp, Iron Man, and Hawkeye.

In my personal opinion, my gut thinks its either Captain America or Iron Man. But, that’s it, my friends.

I also think that considering the new information from #6, I thought the poll should be restarted, so I'm adding a poll to this thread of the eligible options.

I would like to point out that Rhyo once said that the purpose of #6 was not to give us answers but to drive us insane.

If this doesn’t convince you in regards to the traitor, then surely, it must convince you that it has driven me completely insane.

But at least now, I can rest.

:dead:

Last edited:

Irish_4204

I want it to be Cap America. I never liked him. He has always been potrayed so noble. It would be a nice twist and would probably get me interested in him more.

SeAcoW

"Hawkeye’s family is killed, it would seem to eliminate Hawkeye from the running."

Well, what if hawkeye's family is killed by one of the ultimates ? In revenge or something for him betraying. I noticed the hand of the traitor was very small. Cap has very big hands. It could be a woman hands, or hawkeyes, cuz well he has small fine hands !

Last edited:

René

Starring in "The Longest Yard", opening Memorial D
Bass said:
• The traitor is Caucasian.

the wasp isnt Caucasian either. She's Japanse right? I still think it's Hawkeye, but I can also see Iron-Man being the Traitor.

Caduceus

The Original Muffins Man
Very impressive, as usual Bass. My vote's going to Cap just because he seems to fit best with everything for me. Wasp remains my second choice.

However, I do think your reading too much into the technology speculation for a few reasons.

-You discount Cap a little on the basis of his lack of technological skills. What about when he used the computer to find Giant Man in vol 1? It was hardly brilliant computer programming but whats to stop him from having done something as simple as using SHIELD's user friendly voice activation the same way he did previously.

-Even Cap will have learnt how to use a remote. I also know people who can barely use mobiles but are quite capable of using the internet.

René said:
the wasp isnt Caucasian either. She's Japanse right? I still think it's Hawkeye, but I can also see Iron-Man being the Traitor.
Detailed the art of the Ultimates may be but it doesn't depict Jan as having a different skin tone. Not noticeably to me anyway.

Last edited:

marvelman

wow, now i dont think its Hawkeye as much.

Iron Man seems to be a great candidate now. Post this at Millarworld.

Oh yeah, great work too. Thanks for using my research too... :wink:

I still dont think its Wasp.

Cap I could only see doing it in a forced way so that he could break off.

Hawkeye only if he pulls a Vader and kills his own family.

Iron Man seems to fit best.

Good work.

CT/MM

P.S. I blamed it on moonmaster :wink:

P.P.S. I didn't even notice that was u on Millarworld until I read this post.

Ultxon

I voted Tony. I figure the man has something to say and since his time to say it is is dwindling [due to the cancer], he is the most liekly candidate to me.

Bass

Nexus of the World
Rene said:

This is true. However, Wasp is Asian-American and her skin tone could easily be, in this lighting, be that of the traitor's. Basically, the showing of the wrist eliminates Nick Fury, which was my point. It doesn't eliminate Jan. Just a typo on my part. :D

Caduceus said:
-You discount Cap a little on the basis of his lack of technological skills. What about when he used the computer to find Giant Man in vol 1? It was hardly brilliant computer programming but whats to stop him from having done something as simple as using SHIELD's user friendly voice activation the same way he did previously.

-Even Cap will have learnt how to use a remote. I also know people who can barely use mobiles but are quite capable of using the internet.

I agree, which is why I suggested that it meant Iron Man and Wasp were more likely, in that regard, but it doesn't eliminate Captain America or Hawkeye. Also, I pointed out that the traitor can use a remote control and that it most likely is not an indication of their abilities.

If I had been able to discount Captain America, I would have. But I couldn't. There is no conclusive proof that I can see that prevents him from being the traitor. We have no idea how big his hands are as there's no scale except the mug, jar and spoon, which again, are unable to scale.

That said, the only thing I overlooked was Wasp's skin colour - it's certainly possible that either the lighting is different or there's a printing mistake, but I think it's too close to completely remove Wasp from the running based on skin colour. It's not as black and white as it is with Fury.

Ba-dum-dump. :D

marvelman

One last thing: Cap seems pretty pissed at Fury for all the Super Soldier stuff as seen in Ultimate 6...

In case this means anything...

(Ask the question... Who benefits?)

moonmaster

Without him, all of you would be lost souls roamin
marvelman said:
P.S. I blamed it on moonmaster :wink:

Yeah, I'm a total traitor. I'd sell my mother up the river for $5. :D :twisted: :D

Bass

Nexus of the World
marvelman said:
P.P.S. I didn't even notice that was u on Millarworld until I read this post.

It's because I don't go around on Millarworld claiming to be the nexus of the world.

I should though.

E

Excelsior Club
Awesome work once again, Bass. Great read.

SeAcoW said:
Well, what if hawkeye's family is killed by one of the ultimates ? In revenge or something for him betraying.

No way. However, their deaths could be due to some accident caused by the act of betrayal.

Also I like the part about Wasp having the know how to leak the files to the media...she is by far the most media-savvy of the group.

René

Starring in "The Longest Yard", opening Memorial D
marvelman said:
One last thing: Cap seems pretty pissed at Fury for all the Super Soldier stuff as seen in Ultimate 6...

In case this means anything...

(Ask the question... Who benefits?)

You bring up a good point. Out of all of this who Benefit's the most?

That would be Thor, who since he first appeared in the Ultimates # 4, was never a really a big supporter of the Ultimate program.

If you really think about it. Nobody benefits at all. Whoever the traitor is has a chance of losing all the possesions they have accuired since being with the Ultimates. They can be kicked out of the country and lose their citizenship. Nobody benefits at all, so they question really is, Why betray the Ultimates?

Bass

Nexus of the World
Nuts.

I forgot to mention something.

It's only speculation so it shouldn't really matter. It's quite obvious that Ultron and the Vision 2 (who scared the hell out of me when they looked at each other when Pym calls them war fodder) are based on the Iron Man suit. This could mean that Tony has been helping him, and thus, if the traitor is courting Pym, makes him more likely.

Bass

Nexus of the World
René said:
You bring up a good point. Out of all of this who Benefit's the most?

That would be Thor, who since he first appeared in the Ultimates # 4, was never a really a big supporter of the Ultimate program.

If you really think about it. Nobody benefits at all. Whoever the traitor is has a chance of losing all the possesions they have accuired since being with the Ultimates. They can be kicked out of the country and lose their citizenship. Nobody benefits at all, so they question really is, Why betray the Ultimates?

The only motivation we know of so far is idealism.

My hope was to narrow it down to one person through a process of elimination since the motive is somewhat indiscernable, but I couldn't.

Latest posts