Timeline Hub

Anyone do one for Ghostbusters?

I was gonna do one...but The Real Ghostbusters animated series isn't canon and is in its own universe.

Try to wrap your head around this:

The Real Ghostbusters, the animated series, is based on the films from Columbia/Sony. However, the "real life" films are technically based on the exploits of the animated universe, meaning that the animated Ghostbusters did fight Gozer and Vigo -- and Hollywood loved their "stories" so much, they made blockbuster films based on their experiences.

To sum up: the animated universe is supposed to be "real life", while the live action films are trumped-up stories of their adventures.

There was an episode which explained the entire thing in order to separate the series universe from the film universe.

Heh.

It also explains why, not including Winston, Venkman, Ray, and Egon don't resemble their real life counterparts.

Makes my brain explode each time I think about it.

Also, The GB reboot (all female) also isn't canon and takes place in a separate universe as well.

And if you wanna get cute, Filmation's "Ghostbusters" isn't canon and has nothing to do with any of the Columbia properties -- save for the fact that Columbia had to get their permission, apparently, to make the films and series.

And if you really wanna go nuts...

Lorenzo Music voiced the Garfield the Cat in all the Garfield animated specials and cartoon series.
Bill Murray starred as Venkman in all the GB films.

When the animated series (Real GB's) was made, Lorenzo Music voiced Venkman...and, years later, Bill Murray would go on to voice Garfield in the live-action Garfield film.

BOOM. :)

Last edited:
I was gonna do one...but The Real Ghostbusters animated series isn't canon and is in its own universe.

The Real Ghostbusters, the animated series, is based on the films from Columbia/Sony. However, the "real life" films are technically based on the exploits of the animated universe, meaning that the animated Ghostbusters did fight Gozer and Vigo -- and Hollywood loved their "stories" so much, they made blockbuster films based on their experiences.

To sum up: the animated universe is supposed to be "real life", while the live action films are trumped-up stories of their adventures.

There was an episode which explained the entire thing in order to separate the series universe from the film universe.

Heh.

It also explains why, not including Winston, Venkman, Ray, and Egon don't resemble their real life counterparts.

Also, The GB reboot (all female) also isn't canon and takes place in a separate universe as well.

And if you wanna get cute, Filmation's "Ghostbusters" isn't canon and has nothing to do with any of the Columbia properties -- save for the fact that Columbia had to get their permission, apparently, to make the films and series.

Lorenzo Music voiced the Garfield the Cat in all the Garfield animated specials and cartoon series.

When the animated series (Real GB's) was made, Lorenzo Music voiced Venkman...and, years later, Bill Murray would go on to voice Garfield in the live-action Garfield film.

I'd imagine the trilogy of live action films would be the only real canon thing then right? That keeps it simple haha

I'd imagine the trilogy of live action films would be the only real canon thing then right? That keeps it simple haha

Yeah...that and the video game they made for the Wii/PS4/XBOX/etc.

Ghostbusters takes place in 1984 while the sequel takes place, five years later, in the fall of 1989 and ends after midnight in 1990.

Afterlife takes place in 2020, I believe. I can't remember the year shown on the wall carving but I think the film takes place in June of 2020.

Don't know when the GB video game takes place.

Anyone do one for Ghostbusters?
Thought about it a while ago, but nah. It was Dimension-Prime I was thinking of, which includes Ghostbusters I-II, The Video Game, the IDW comics and maybe Afterlife. Unfortunately, the IDW comics don't mesh well with the new film. I guess you could make it work, but it's a stretch and probably better to place Afterlife as a divergent reality where the first two films happen and maybe the Video Game which can fit if you squint. The Ghostbusters: Year One comic I believe had a hint of Egon's death in Afterlife, though not necessarily confirmed a reference to that.

Crossing the streams in the first movie apparently sent the concept of the Ghostbusters across the multiverse, creating The Real Ghostbusters, Extreme Ghostbusters (which is a seperate but identical universe to The Real Ghostbusters), Ghostbusters: Answer the Call, etc. There's also a crossover with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles via the multiverse and a crossover with Transformers (though it's a new version exclusive to the Ghostbusters universe).

Heh.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily say that. It could be like how Samuel L. Jackson can exist in the same universe as Nick Fury (it's not like that, but it could be). I wouldn't say that the exact films we saw were the exact in-universe films in Dimension 68-R, but obviously the same actors from real life portrayed them in recreations of that reality's version of events for sure. However at that point, we'd be arguing semantics.

Now, how does Casper fit into this... :p

Well, I wouldn't necessarily say that. It could be like how Samuel L. Jackson can exist in the same universe as Nick Fury (it's not like that, but it could be). I wouldn't say that the exact films we saw were the exact in-universe films in Dimension 68-R, but obviously the same actors from real life portrayed them in recreations of that reality's version of events for sure. However at that point, we'd be arguing semantics.

Now, how does Casper fit into this... :p

Better yet...is Garfield simply an animal incarnation of Venkman? Or vice versa? :p

Thought about it a while ago, but nah. It was Dimension-Prime I was thinking of, which includes Ghostbusters I-II, The Video Game, the IDW comics and maybe Afterlife. Unfortunately, the IDW comics don't mesh well with the new film. I guess you could make it work, but it's a stretch and probably better to place Afterlife as a divergent reality where the first two films happen and maybe the Video Game which can fit if you squint. The Ghostbusters: Year One comic I believe had a hint of Egon's death in Afterlife, though not necessarily confirmed a reference to that.

Crossing the streams in the first movie apparently sent the concept of the Ghostbusters across the multiverse, creating The Real Ghostbusters, Extreme Ghostbusters (which is a seperate but identical universe to The Real Ghostbusters), Ghostbusters: Answer the Call, etc. There's also a crossover with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles via the multiverse and a crossover with Transformers (though it's a new version exclusive to the Ghostbusters universe).

Interesting theory -- but, technically, "The Real Ghostbusters" were "around" prior to the 1984 film. This is explained in the episode, "Take Two" when the RGB's show up for the premiere of the 1984 film at the end.

I mean, unless the animated "universe" believes THEY were there "first" and inspired the live action film.

Also, my head is starting to hurt again. Heh.

Also, I thought Extreme GB's was a direct sequel to the RGB's and within the same universe.

Interesting theory -- but, technically, "The Real Ghostbusters" were "around" prior to the 1984 film. This is explained in the episode, "Take Two" when the RGB's show up for the premiere of the 1984 film at the end.

I mean, unless the animated "universe" believes THEY were there "first" and inspired the live action film.

Also, my head is starting to hurt again. Heh.

Also, I thought Extreme GB's was a direct sequel to the RGB's and within the same universe.
It's not a theory. It's outright stated in the IDW comics. The original movie versions have met their animated and reboot counterparts, and this is the explanation given.

The Extreme Ghostbusters come from a seperate dimension but it is noted that the universes are seemingly identical, whatever that means.

While I think these should be seperate timelines as well, I think there should also be a combined timeline of the "Slasherverse".

Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Black Christmas
Halloween
Friday the 13th
Evil Dead
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Child's Play
Shocker
Frozen
Hatchet
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
Sharknado
Lavalantula

Let's establish that I'm referring to the Evil Dead films/show, Halloween 4-6, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1-4 (and 2022) continuities.

There are many notable ties between the films.

Freddy vs. Jason connects those films indisputably. They must occur on the same timeline. Friday the 13th: The Game contains connections to Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Shocker, Hatchet and Behind the Mask. Rick Cologne is revealed to also be Pastori from Shocker, going under his mother's maiden name. One of the Friday the 13th comics that can fit into canon has a newspaper that states "Leatherface Returns".

Bride of Chucky opens in with a scene in police lockup where various Slashers from other film series are referenced. Michael's mask, Jason's mask, Leatherface's chainsaw and Freddy's glove. This actually can tie into where Halloween 6 left off, with Michael's mask being left on the ground. On a less official note, there was a tv advert where Michael met Chucky.

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon contains serveral references to Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween and Child's Play. Eugene from Behind the Mask was written to be Billy, the Slasher from Black Christmas.

Hatchet contains references to Leslie Vernon and Jason Voorhees as other in-universe killers. According to the actress, her character from Hatchet 3 is Stretch from Texas Chainsaw 2, though she has a different name. Stretch also appeared in Sharknado despite dying in Hatchet 3. I read that the Sharknado series ended on a timeline reset, so we can assume that the Slasherverse is set in the new timeline, allowing us to ignore Sharknado almost entirely.

Jason Goes to Hell uses the Necronomicon and Kandarian dagger from the Evil Dead series. According to the director, while he couldn't state it outright due to rights issues, he intended to imply Pamala Voorhees used the Necronomicon to resurrect her son, making Jason a Deadite. Jason is also killed by the Kandarian dagger. I imagine that these wouldn't be the same book and dagger from the Ash Evil Dead stories, similar to Evil Dead (2013), and there's multiple copies of the Necronomicon. There's also the Freddy vs Jason vs Ash comic books, but those are set in the Army of Darkness comic universe, where Evil Dead happened in modern day and Ash vs Evil Dead never happened. It also contradicts the continuity of the Friday and Nightmare films in regards to certain characters' ages and other comic books. We can assume a version of the Slasherverse occurred in Earth-818793 like it did in the main universe.

Frozen??? You just glossed over that?!? How??

It's not a theory. It's outright stated in the IDW comics. The original movie versions have met their animated and reboot counterparts, and this is the explanation given.

The Extreme Ghostbusters come from a seperate dimension but it is noted that the universes are seemingly identical, whatever that means.

Yes, but looking at people who are keeping track of canon, I'm not sure the comics are canon to the main timeline (The Reitman Timeline). I do like that the OG's have met their animated counterparts. It's odd that EG is in a different universe than RGB's. I would think that they'd be on the same one...guess not.

Yes, but looking at people who are keeping track of canon, I'm not sure the comics are canon to the main timeline (The Reitman Timeline). I do like that the OG's have met their animated counterparts. It's odd that EG is in a different universe than RGB's. I would think that they'd be on the same one...guess not.
I mean, it could be that the events of The Real Ghostbusters still occurred in the Extreme Ghostbusters. I don't think it's that big a deal.

In case anyone wants to do a timeline for The Boys, the newest episode (3x07) had a date on a heart monitor that reads "6 Aug 2021" (August 6th, 2021). 5 Days after Herogasm.

Just wanted to give for future reference.

I'm currently working on a Teen Titans (2003), The Batman (2004) and Legion Of Superheroes (2006) "head-canon" timeline. I always felt like those three shows fit together pretty nicely. They aired around the same time, with some overlap. Had similar teams working on each and were tonally consistent with eachother. If anyone is interested in progress, let me know. Teen Titans Go! is being treated as "not all episodes are canon, only the ones directly referenced in the crossover film".

I'm currently working on a Teen Titans (2003), The Batman (2004) and Legion Of Superheroes (2006) "head-canon" timeline. I always felt like those three shows fit together pretty nicely. They aired around the same time, with some overlap. Had similar teams working on each and were tonally consistent with eachother. If anyone is interested in progress, let me know. Teen Titans Go! is being treated as "not all episodes are canon, only the ones directly referenced in the crossover film".
Yeah a lot of the TTG episodes end with the characters dying i.e. Kenny from South Park. Very cartoony logic universe.

Latest posts

Back