Top 10 Comic Movies

NoelleR23

Because Newsarama put out their list, I had to make one of my own. This list may change by the end of Summer. This is ONLY my opinion. (Let the heckling ensue) =D

10. Watchmen
9. 300
8. Sin City
7. Captain America
6. Superman
5. Dark Knight
4. First Class
3. Iron Man
2. Batman Begins
1. AVENGERS

My reasoning for number 1? Just as was stated, Avengers wasn't just a comic book movie, it's a comic, that just happens to be a big budget movie.

The Avengers
The Dark Knight
Hellboy
Iron Man
Men in Black
Scott Pilgram Vs the World
Sin City
Spider-Man II
Superman II
X-Men First Class

So looking at this list Avengers 2 might be heart attack inducingly awesome.

These lists are always hard. Do I pick movies based on whether they're good adaptations of the comics or good movies in general? I've restricted myself to live-action adaptations of English comics (otherwise Batman: Mask of the Phantasm and Oldboy would be on there):

300, The Avengers, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Hellboy, Iron Man, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Sin City, Thor, X-Men 2.

The Dark Knight is #1.

These lists are always hard. Do I pick movies based on whether they're good adaptations of the comics or good movies in general? I've restricted myself to live-action adaptations of English comics (otherwise Batman: Mask of the Phantasm and Oldboy would be on there):

300, The Avengers, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Hellboy, Iron Man, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Sin City, Thor, X-Men 2.

The Dark Knight is #1.

Oldboy is amazing. I'm optimistic about the american remake. Josh Brolin was my pick for the lead but the difficulty finding the antagonist has me worried.

Oldboy is amazing. I'm optimistic about the american remake. Josh Brolin was my pick for the lead but the difficulty finding the antagonist has me worried.

Sharlto Copley is playing the antagonist now. ****in' prawns!

I haven't seen Scott Pilgrim yet, I know I'm a slacker, that's why I couldn't add it. I loved Hellboy and love the comics. The only reason that didn't make the list is cause I greatly appreciated how close Watchmen was to the source material and the whole story behind the studio and director's power struggle on why. I also haven't seen Oldboy or Mask of Phantasm, although now I think I will.

Last edited:
This is tough, as the top 4 or so are pretty close, but here is mine:

1. The Avengers
2. Batman Begins
3. The Dark Knight
4. Captain America
5. Iron Man
6. 300
7. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
8. Spider-Man 2
9. Watchmen
10. X-Men 2

I haven't seen Scott Pilgrim yet, I know I'm a slacker, that's why I couldn't add it. I loved Hellboy and love the comics. The only reason that didn't make the list is cause I greatly appreciated how close Watchmen was to the source material and the whole story behind the studio and director's power struggle on why. I also haven't seen Oldboy or Mask of Phantasm, although now I think I will.

See I love Hellboy because it perfectly captured the spirit of the comics while successfully being its own entity. Everything you needed to know was on screen.

Friday said:
See I love Hellboy because it perfectly captured the spirit of the comics while successfully being its own entity. Everything you needed to know was on screen.

Very true. They did a great job making him such a lovable character, the way he's supposed to be, he only looks scary. I loved the flashback pic of him as a young Hellboy in the group shot, right out of the comic.

1. Avengers
2. V For Vendetta
3. The Dark Knight
4. Sin City
5. Iron Man
6. Captain America
7. Batman Begins
8. 300
9. X-Men First Class
10. Scott Pilgrim

Yes! Vendetta! Another almost on my list! I loved that movie!

One of my all time favorites. It was unfortunate that Alan Moore despised it so much for steering away from the original material; I thought they did it the right way in "modernizing" it. Everyone was great in it and it was just really well done.

The order isn't concrete, and I'm hoping very much that Amazing Spider-Man ends up toward the top of this list.

1) Avengers
2) Batman Begins
3) Spider-Man 2
4) Iron Man
5) Batman (Adam West)
6) X-Men: First Class
7) Dark Knight
8) Spider-Man
9) Captain America
10) X2

Last edited:
E said:
One of my all time favorites. It was unfortunate that Alan Moore despised it so much for steering away from the original material; I thought they did it the right way in "modernizing" it. Everyone was great in it and it was just really well done.

He's just an angry old Britt. I thought he swore off any movies involving his comics due to League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

He's just an angry old Britt. I thought he swore off any movies involving his comics due to League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

He did, but he had specific complaints about V For Vendetta. He complained that they changed the plot so that the commentary on Margaret Thatcher and conservatism at the time was completely lost. Most argued that it wasn't as relevant today. He didn't care - he argument was that they should write their own story to comment on that and leave V alone.

He did, but he had specific complaints about V For Vendetta. He complained that they changed the plot so that the commentary on Margaret Thatcher and conservatism at the time was completely lost. Most argued that it wasn't as relevant today. He didn't care - he argument was that they should write their own story to comment on that and leave V alone.

I.... actually agree with Moore there.

It wasn't a bad movie, but it lost the commentary on Thatcherian politics, and didn't end up being at all an insightful look at contemporary politics either.

The fact that it sanitized a lot of the nastiness of Moore's book was a shame too.

Last edited:
I.... actually agree with Moore there.

It wasn't a bad movie, but it lost the commentary on Thatcherian politics, and didn't end up being at all an insightful look at contemporary politics either.

The counter argument is that no one cares about or can relate to Thatcherian politics, so the commentary being lost is completely irrelevant. They wanted to tell the story about V but had to do it in a setting that people would "get". They super hero-ized it.

I personally thought that even though they lost the original message, the "replacement" message was sufficient. Moore is certainly welcome to his opinion, but changing the meaning of a story like this doesn't make it horrible. If you look at it in those terms, the story behind the reasons for his actions are irrelevant as well.

The counter argument is that no one cares about or can relate to Thatcherian politics, so the commentary being lost is completely irrelevant. They wanted to tell the story about V but had to do it in a setting that people would "get". They super hero-ized it.

I personally thought that even though they lost the original message, the "replacement" message was sufficient. Moore is certainly welcome to his opinion, but changing the meaning of a story like this doesn't make it horrible. If you look at it in those terms, the story behind the reasons for his actions are irrelevant as well.

What do you think the "replacement" message was?

And I have to say, I disagree that it's okay to change the meaning of a story. The meaning of a story is why the story exists. If you have to change that, you might as well just tell a different story. V wasn't about superheroism. It was about the cold grayscale of political reality, where the fascists in power are abominable but have sympathetic reasoning and the anarchists have sympathetic backgrounds but act like deplorable ****s. If you change that and turn it into a white-washed four-colored good vs. evil thing, it's not the same story. It's not V anymore.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back