Ultimate Iron Man to become 2 5-issue minis

• Help support The Comic Board :

E

Excelsior Club
From Millarworld: ULTIMATE IRON MAN WILL NOW BECOME TWO LIMITED SERIES THANKS TO WRITER ORSON SCOTT CARD.

As his storyline has expanded, he asked if he could change this from one six-issue series to two five-issue series. The next catalog will note that it is now a five-issue limited series.

The message board post can be seen at http://www.millarworld.net/index.php?showtopic=46771

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Actually, it can be one of two ways:

1.) It will be collected in one trade, 10 issues. Probbably around 20-something dollars.

2.) It will be 2 trades, 5 issues each. Around $12 or so, probably.

E

Excelsior Club
icemastertron said:
Actually, it can be one of two ways:

1.) It will be collected in one trade, 10 issues. Probbably around 20-something dollars.

2.) It will be 2 trades, 5 issues each. Around $12 or so, probably.
More likely:

2 5-issue TPBs

and

1 10-issue hardcover.

E

Excelsior Club
I think a more interesting discussion would be - why 2 minis instead of a longer maxi-type format (like Ultimates)? I would guess that we're going to get 2 phases of his life - maybe part one is explaining the circumstances that make him so smart, and the second shows him as he takes over Stark/Stane.

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
I think it's both for his origin.

All I know is, that as of right now, I'll be getting the HC, if they make one, which they probably will.

jtg3885

Banned
I figure that if you've got... what are we guessing, Tony's 30? 35? Something like that? That's a lot of years to cover in six issues. I can definitely see doing a ten issue series out of it. Five to get him to the beginning of the Iron Man phase, and five issues to create a scenario that results in the creation of the first set(s) of armor.

ourchair

TheManWithoutFear said:
Eh, I'd like to see a mini on a characters origins kept in one trade.
It's quite likely that the origin IS one trade, in the first one and my guess is that the second trade introduces some sort of conflict/nemesis/supervillain into the mix, if there isn't already one in the first story.

Goodwill

I don't know whether to call this good or bad news. You have to question how important a character Ultimate Iron Man is and, at this point (having not read the first issue of the mini-series) I don't think he is. I only hope that, if they are going to do more characters from the Ultimates in the same sort of deal, they give them this much space, too, since we've seen more important characters in that title than Mr. Stark. I mean, this is going to be good for those of you reading this, but I only think that Tony is being used here as a pedastal in which Card can use to write what he does best (Which is character interaction in a science fiction setting).

ourchair

Goodwill said:
I don't know whether to call this good or bad news. You have to question how important a character Ultimate Iron Man is and, at this point (having not read the first issue of the mini-series) I don't think he is.
Well, regardless of a character's "importance" within the larger scheme of a Marvel universe, Ultimate or otherwise, I've always felt that there're so many dimensions to explore with Iron Man that he's one of those characters who justifies a solo title (as opposed to say, Hawkeye or Scarlet Witch).

One writer could choose to see him as an ironclad James Bond with gadgets and gizmos a plenty and dovetail that with his ladies man reputation. Another writer might see a merely normal human, living in the age of the superhuman, who used his assets to make a Marvel out of himself. And others would see the corporate warrior, fighting to maintain control of the ethical, moral and developmental direction of a company being bent by less scrupulous board members and must prepare for a monumental takeover, and poised on the brink of alcoholic depression.

Goodwill said:
I mean, this is going to be good for those of you reading this, but I only think that Tony is being used here as a pedastal in which Card can use to write what he does best (Which is character interaction in a science fiction setting).
That's a very good point, actually. :D And I'm beginning to suspect (having not read it yet) that Ultimate Iron Man isn't necessarily the bad book that Card's critics make it out to be, just one that seems to bend the character for the VERY particular way in which he writes science fiction in general.

Guijllons

I'm happy about this, it does make an awful lot of sense to cover his life in two parts. How Tony was raised, and how we was as a man. In the Ultimates currently we have an intriugingly complex character with little to explain him. Like why he's an alcoholic, the history of his tumor, why he built the irontech armour and didn't sell it, why he's a womaniser, how he's one of the world richest men. You cannot say that this rise can be written (even at cards impressive pace) within 6 issues fully.

Friday

ourchair said:
Well, regardless of a character's "importance" within the larger scheme of a Marvel universe, Ultimate or otherwise, I've always felt that there're so many dimensions to explore with Iron Man that he's one of those characters who justifies a solo title (as opposed to say, Hawkeye or Scarlet Witch).

One writer could choose to see him as an ironclad James Bond with gadgets and gizmos a plenty and dovetail that with his ladies man reputation. Another writer might see a merely normal human, living in the age of the superhuman, who used his assets to make a Marvel out of himself. And others would see the corporate warrior, fighting to maintain control of the ethical, moral and developmental direction of a company being bent by less scrupulous board members and must prepare for a monumental takeover, and poised on the brink of alcoholic depression.

That's a very good point, actually. :D And I'm beginning to suspect (having not read it yet) that Ultimate Iron Man isn't necessarily the bad book that Card's critics make it out to be, just one that seems to bend the character for the VERY particular way in which he writes science fiction in general.
I prefer to see him as the frail, crippled man who personalizes his inner demons as brightly colored supervillians.

As for a 2 miniseries arc? Great, that'll get me an Ultimate Iron Man Hardcover, and some more of Cards work that doesn't make my ears bleed. I'm all for either.