Joker: Folie a Deux

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
So the second installment for Joaquin Phoenix's Joker comes out October 4, 2024

This time, starring Lady Gaga as Harley Quinn.

I must admit the previous movie was dark, real, and quite uncomfortable to watch as someone experiences what I see as a mental breakdown of the life lived.

The trailer looks good, and is well done from an artistic standpoint. Is anyone else excited about it? I also wonder how it fits into the whole Batman timeline.

I used to be extremely into musicals, so I'm really excited for this! I really enjoyed the first film, even though I was less then excited when it got announced, because I wasn't a big fan of giving the Joker an origin Story. But the film just was something else, I really enjoyed not knowing what is real on my first watch. Watching the trailer, it looks like we'll get a lot more like this, and I'm all here for it. I loved the ambiguity if Harleen really is an inmate or if she works there, I hope they keep this up throughout. I'm glad that they decided against putting the Elseworlds label on it, making it feel more like its completely own thing.

I honestly haven't really seen the first installment in this franchise I think this is turning into. I remember watching The Dark Knight and completely blown away and in awe of Heath Ledger as the Joker.

im definitely intrigued by this trailer, i wasnt anywhere near as interested as i am now as it seems like maybe the music will be intially an attempt at his therapy that will only serve to solidify his fall into madness and relationship with harley; i am also immensely happy that it seems to have no follow-up to the plot of batman being set up at the end of the first film, that was personally my least-favorite part of that movie by a lot and with this they can easily just say that at this point bruce is out of the country for school or training; im also extremely interested to know whats going on with the other jokers following fleck down the street before one is hit by a cop car

From the footage seen so far, I have high hopes it'll be in the same league as the original. After the first movie's, I can't wait to see how dark the ending ends up being.

From an aesthetic view point the trailer is stunning. I appreciate how Todd Philips was able to bring a truly cinematic feel to a genre that is so often treated as popcorn flicks.

that being said I feel like the first "Joker" was saying a lot less then it thought it was. All sound and fury with no much to say outside of "we live in a society" and kinda glorifying this feeling of responding to feelings of being marginalized with violence. You could say "but Jokers a villain" that might be true but he is also the protagonist. I feel like "Parasite" (which Joker lost the Oscar to) was a much better exploration of the feelings of marginalization and inter-class conflict.

In this new movie I feel that the genre flip to musical is quite compelling, particularly as we see Arthur falling in love, so there is an impression the change in genre is matching his change in mood.

i am a bit put out by how Harley Quinn appears to be a patient, and not a psychiatrist in this story. I always liked the narrative about how she was a mental health professional "seduced" by the Joker into completely altering her worldview. But im also wondering if this movie is going to try and do something with the "her being a patient" angle, this idea of two hurt people trying to find love with each other and the chaos that can grow from that.

I also dont think this is going to fit into any other Batman timeline. I think Todd Philips said in an interview that he used the Batman branding to "sneak in" what he considers to be a prestige film which.... is a choice. IF that is the case attempting to tie it into some one elses canon will only comprimise the stories integrity (For example, Imagine Joquin Phoenix's Joker teaming up with the Injustice Society to take down Corenswet's Superman... it doesnt work)

I thought the original Joker was an interesting film about a man's mental decline, but I didn't really feel it captured any element of the Joker as portrayed in the comics. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I'm all for new takes on the character, though overall I felt that the film was fine, but not quite worthy of the praise it received.

I've not watched the trailer as I like to go in to a film completely cold and by knowing as little as possible but the fact that it is a musical intrigues (Little Shop Of Horrors is my favourite movie as it goes), and I'll go in with an open mind and hope it manages to either be entertaining or interesting, but that's about as excited as I can get about it!

It took me days to check out this trailer because right now BS is going on in my personal life. Even got swindled by a f***head recently, so I guess that's somewhat Joker related.

I might like the sequel. We'll see.

It took me days to check out this trailer because right now BS is going on in my personal life. Even got swindled by a f***head recently, so I guess that's somewhat Joker related.

I might like the sequel. We'll see.
Hope everything'll get better for you! Fingers crossed

I didn't like the first movie at all, so I think I going to pass this one
Same with me. Was derivative of a lot better movies. But slap a comic character name on it and is treated like it's ground breaking. It's all style ripped off from other directors. It wants you to think it's very deep but has really little to at all.

Same with me. Was derivative of a lot better movies. But slap a comic character name on it and is treated like it's ground breaking. It's all style ripped off from other directors. It wants you to think it's very deep but has really little to at all.
It was just a Taxi Driver remake but with the names "Gotham City", "Arkham Asylum", "Thomas Wayne", "Bruce Wayne", "Martha Wayne", "Alfred" and "Joker" slapped on it.

I use to be of the mind set that I would check out every DC and Marvel movie. Out of at least curiosity. Not any more. I was really a DC fan growing up. So liked some Marvel movies and not others. But admired their world building. By now though I have lost interest almost completely.

In terms of DC.... often the ones I liked are the ones others do not like at all. Also the Reverse.

The Joker is such an overused and overexposed character now. For a long time there was a certain mystique and unpredictability that made him interesting. Now he is a self parody in most versions. The efforts to reinvent him, whether his origins or appearance have just lead to an over used brandname.

Same for Harley Quinn. She was fun in the beginning as created by Paul Dini. His girlfriend and sidekick. But not needed in every Joker story. Now totally over exposed.

I now very little of Lady Gaga. So there is little appeal to this to me, Its a lesson I learned the hard way. Just because I was a fan of characters in the comics or other media does not mean I need to see every new version. Nor will I be online complaining about it afterwards. I will let others enjoy what they want. Only reason I read this thread was I was sent a personal notification. I hope those who are looking forward to it enjoy it.

Latest posts

Back