A question about UIM

The only thing I found weird is how Anakin turned into Uncle Fester by Episode IV. I don't think lava can do that. :wink:

cmdrjanjalani said:
The only thing I found weird is how Anakin turned into Uncle Fester by Episode IV. I don't think lava can do that. :wink:
I think we need to dump Hayden Christensen into a pit of lava to prove if it's possible.

cmdrjanjalani said:

He was severly burned and then was periodically healing himself. I thought it looked about right despite the similarities to Christopher Lloyd.

I think we need to dump Hayden Christensen into a pit of lava to prove if it's possible.
Agreed.

They aren't the same. Only minor things were changed in the the re-releases. And the only thing I didn't like about the re-release was Hayden as Anakin at the end of ROTJ (I understand it, but still. . .) Oh, and Greedo shooting first. :roll:
The other additions were fine.

It would make more sense if you compared UIM to the Prequels. UIM is a prequel of Ultimates Tony Stark.

And yes, I liked the prequels. Especially ROTS.

Last edited:
Lynx said:
Oh, and Greedo shooting first.

Agreed - that's the only thing that has ever really bugged me, if only because I just didn't see the point.

UltimateE said:
Agreed - that's the only thing that has ever really bugged me, if only because I just didn't see the point.

The only things it accomplished were:

1) Weakening Han's character. He shot first because he was a bad***, now he just looks slow.
2)Pissing fans off.

Anyway, straying off-topic. Back to the disscusion.

Lynx said:
And the only thing I didn't like about the re-release was Hayden as Anakin at the end of ROTJ (I understand it, but still. . .)
Did you know that Hayden Christensen had no idea Lucas replaced Sebastian Shaw with him until he was told in an interview? The least he could have done was ask Hayden first.

The question is more, "If Card is a moron, does that make Lucas a moron?"

I say no.

Actaully, as much as I love Star Wars, I'm going to have to disagree. The best Star Wars Movies (Empire and Jedi) weren't writen by Lucas. And in the years between Jedi and Shadow, its obvious he still didn't learn to write good screenplays. His story ideas are awesome, but his screenplay writing could use some work. I'd have to say that Lucas is a moron for not getting any help writing Episodes I, II, or III. Card, on the other hand, gets lot of help from lots of people whenever he writes a book, which is why the stories are different in each book, and it why most of his books are rather well liked by critics and readers.

UltimateE said:
The question is more, "If Card is a moron, does that make Lucas a moron?"
Actually, to be more precise I think it's "Do people who hate Card have a tendency to hate Lucas too (and vice versa)?"

Shi_Vral said:
Actaully, as much as I love Star Wars, I'm going to have to disagree. The best Star Wars Movies (Empire and Jedi) weren't writen by Lucas. And in the years between Jedi and Shadow, its obvious he still didn't learn to write good screenplays. His story ideas are awesome, but his screenplay writing could use some work. I'd have to say that Lucas is a moron for not getting any help writing Episodes I, II, or III. Card, on the other hand, gets lot of help from lots of people whenever he writes a book, which is why the stories are different in each book, and it why most of his books are rather well liked by critics and readers.

Maybe on the rest of his books, but I have seen absolutely zero indication that Card has even read an Iron Man comic before, much less ask for help researching or writing one.

You're kind of moving off the topic at hand here. You weren't asking to compare the quality of writing between Lucas and Card.

UltimateE said:
You're kind of moving off the topic at hand here. You weren't asking to compare the quality of writing between Lucas and Card.
Back on topic.

Bald-headed blue-skinned four-year-olds who look and think like they're ten. Discuss.

Doc Comic said:
Bald-headed blue-skinned four-year-olds who look and think like they're ten. Discuss.

Lame.

Anyone else?

ourchair said:
This single word is actually hilarious when you consider that they sliced off Tony's foot in issue 3 (I think).

I almost said "gay".

Shi_Vral said:
Actaully, I'm not trying to compare the two. I was asking, do the people who hate this new version of Tony also hate the new version of Star Wars? Maybe the changes aren't on the same scale, but it feels to me that a lot of the reasons (not all, but a lot) listed for why UIM is so bad are along the lines of "I don't like the way Tony was changed." which is normally the same complaint about the re-releases. Oh, and I'm not trying to convince anyone that UIM is good. I understand that you all hate it, and that the burning hated in your hearts keeps you from ever seeing the good in anything, but I wont judge you for it. :wink:

Exactly. We don't like how Card changed the character. In our collective opinion it sucks. Its still a different thing. The best way to compare the two would be to say take an old 616 Iron Man story, we'll use "Armor Wars" as an example. Say this story is released as usual throught issues, then when its collected into TPB form scenes/pages/etc are added to expand the story. This isn't the case of UIM. UIM is an original story that just happens to suck. They're not the same thing.

Doc Comic said:
Did you know that Hayden Christensen had no idea Lucas replaced Sebastian Shaw with him until he was told in an interview? The least he could have done was ask Hayden first.

Crap, now I have to go rent the Special Edition of RoTJ just to see that. I assume this change was made AFTER the original re-release in 1997, since Christensen hadn't even been cast in the role yet. So were these changes made for a more recent DVD release? And how the hell did Lucas manage to change it without Hayden knowing? You'd think they'd have to reshoot the scene with Hayden doing the lines, I imagine with make-up on to make him look older. Someone's gonna have to explain this to me, sorry.

Shi_Vral said:
Card, on the other hand, gets lot of help from lots of people whenever he writes a book, which is why the stories are different in each book, and it why most of his books are rather well liked by critics and readers.

Then why does he keep rehashing the same theme of child prodigies doing their respective things? There seems to be a basic element of originality missing in the little I've read of his work.

DIrishB said:
Crap, now I have to go rent the Special Edition of RoTJ just to see that. I assume this change was made AFTER the original re-release in 1997, since Christensen hadn't even been cast in the role yet. So were these changes made for a more recent DVD release? And how the hell did Lucas manage to change it without Hayden knowing? You'd think they'd have to reshoot the scene with Hayden doing the lines, I imagine with make-up on to make him look older. Someone's gonna have to explain this to me, sorry.

The DVD changes are separate from (and newer than) the 1997 edits.

And there were no lines to do; it's the scene where Yoda and Obi-Wan and Anakin are looking on in their "force" forms at the end of ROTJ. He could very well have taken some stray footage from somewhere, as he really is just standing there.

Latest posts

Back