Avengers vs X-Men (Spoilers)

This book is just terrible, top to bottom. And this coming from someone who usually loves Aaron's writing.

But the Wolverine and the X-Men tie-in was magnificent.

Also, welcome nerd girl. Sorry you're wrong, but we allow that here, so you should be fine.
Its better than the first issue. The first issue was horrific.

Off topic,
Thanks for the warm welcome! I have longed for people I could converse with about new, old, and alternate timelines, other than the few people I have DRAGGED into comic reading with me. At that, they only know of what I have in my ComiXology account, since I share my account info with them. I grew up with American comics because of my older brother. And although he has directed his energy towards more "normal" adult activities, I still faithfully show up at my local comic shop every Wednesday at 11, when they open!

Cyclops has always been easy for me to hate, but he still has his loyal fan base, evident after the effects of Schism. I have seen him be somewhat of a fan favorite due to his ability to make decisions others aren't willing to make. I have agreed with him from time to time(X-Force, staying on the West Coast). And I think it would be too easy of an answer to kill him off, since that's what everyone's expecting. I trust the writers know what they're doing.

I can't wait to see future Infinite titles and I will check out the ones you mentioned!

Sorry for my long posts! I'm all too excited about finding this forum and have so much to say! =D

An embargo?

I missed this before. Marvel shipped this to a lot of shops a week early so they could have it for their launch parties next week. Mine didn't have a party but didn't realize he wasn't supposed to sell it.

Venom Melendez said:
Because Cyclops has gone all fanatical amd wants to try to control the Phoenix to save mutants...or something.

Well! I guess we know which side Venom Melendez is on.

Friday said:
Yeah, they've done a damn good job of making it just about impossible to like Cyclops over the last few years.

Another great example of ruining something Grant Morrison fixed.

Girl Nerd Rage said:
Sorry for my long posts! I'm all too excited about finding this forum and have so much to say! =D

No need to apologize, glad you're here, and welcome to the site.

E said:
Well! I guess we know which side Venom Melendez is on.

I'm on the side of anyone that punches Cyclops in the face. :p

Seriously though, i'm on the fence, but I am leaning a bit to the Avengers side, it was Scott who threw the first punch.

And welcome GNR!

Last edited:
Off topic,
Thanks for the warm welcome! I have longed for people I could converse with about new, old, and alternate timelines, other than the few people I have DRAGGED into comic reading with me. At that, they only know of what I have in my ComiXology account, since I share my account info with them. I grew up with American comics because of my older brother. And although he has directed his energy towards more "normal" adult activities, I still faithfully show up at my local comic shop every Wednesday at 11, when they open!

Cyclops has always been easy for me to hate, but he still has his loyal fan base, evident after the effects of Schism. I have seen him be somewhat of a fan favorite due to his ability to make decisions others aren't willing to make. I have agreed with him from time to time(X-Force, staying on the West Coast). And I think it would be too easy of an answer to kill him off, since that's what everyone's expecting. I trust the writers know what they're doing.

I can't wait to see future Infinite titles and I will check out the ones you mentioned!

First off, welcome!

Second, MORE GIRLS!!

Off topic, but Bendis recently ranted on Twitter about message boards who aren't welcoming to female readers...I'm glad that we seem to have been pretty welcoming here.

Another great example of ruining something Grant Morrison fixed.

Really? I felt Grant Morrison is the one who made Cyke a dick. I mean, he MADE OUT WITH THE WOMAN HE WAS PYSCHICALLY CHEATING ON HIS OWN WIFE WITH ON TOP OF HIS WIFE'S GRAVE.

Seems dickish to me.

He didn't make him a fascist dictator though.

Ultimate Houde said:
Really? I felt Grant Morrison is the one who made Cyke a dick. I mean, he MADE OUT WITH THE WOMAN HE WAS PYSCHICALLY CHEATING ON HIS OWN WIFE WITH ON TOP OF HIS WIFE'S GRAVE.

Seems dickish to me.

I guess maybe he made him more "cool" than likable, depending on how you look at it.

And that's a lot less of a dick move when you realize that Jean pushed him into it from beyond the grave, knowing he needed to do it not only for himself but for the good of the entire world. There was a lot more hinging on that kiss than Scott Summers getting some.

(and the psychic cheating happened before that)

I more or less like the more recent direction Cyclops has taken, even if the execution is sometimes off. It makes sense to me, given how he was raised and the pressure put on him from an early age, would respond to the events they've built over the last few years. I think he's both reasonable and sympathetic to a degree. I think the dichotomy Aaron built between Cyclops and Wolverine is believable and compelling, if a little unexpected. I'd even go so far as to say that he's hypothetically a more interesting character now than he was in Morrison's run. Unfortunately, due to the volume and fluctuating quality of the writers handling him, he's not as consistently well written as he was in New X-Men. And I think AvX is the low point for his handling.

I also think AvX could be a compelling premise. I know it's not a new one but in the past it's always been "this superhero team fights that superhero team", but the series' are now uniquely positioned to tell an interesting story. One is a militant micro-nation that sees themselves as Israel sees themselves, a persecuted minority surrounded by enemies that has every right to defend themselves with hard right militarism. And there's a legitimate question of how justified they are in considering their long-term survival. They aren't a racial or ethnic group. They don't have an established culture. Really, the only thing that defines them is that they have super powers, and given the fact that they've hardly used those powers to push forward a new global renaissance, it's hard to justify that they're the next step of evolution. There could be a strong theme drawn of natural/evolutionary transhumanism (X-Men) vs. technological/self-induced transhumanism (Avengers). The latter seems a more justifiable and cautionary path to sustainability, after all.

Even Cyclops and Captain America have potentially interesting parallels. Both represent the two strains of transhumanism to a tee. Both were young, skinny kids who are poster children for the inception of their groups (both the teams and superhumans/mutants respectively). Both were groomed to be the commanders for their people and one could argue that any differences in philosophy are defined by the size and circumstances of the groups they now lead.

The problem is, they're terrible written. I'm not talking about the dialogue (which is still bad), but the actions. Hey Steve, what's your strategy to extract this potentially world devastating threat from this militarized island nation, directly off our coast, populated by walking, talking weapons of mass destruction who are potentially the equivalent to radical zealots and, if so inclined, could do significant damage to your nation? "Well, we're going to load a bunch of our guys up in a flying ship. I'm going to tell this guy we're taking the girl and if he disagrees, our guys will punch their guys and take the girl". Hey Scott, you know these Avengers are coming. They outnumber you, and you can see their nation, which has the most powerful military in the world, from your bedroom window. They intend to take away your token messiah who you're holding out will save your species against all evidence to the contrary, and really guy, it's a pretty tenuous hope, but that's cool I guess. What's the plan? "Well, we keep her here and we lock her in a room. Then when those guys come, we punch them. Lots."

Genius.

Edit: The original phrasing of the Israel made it sound like I was justifying the actions of Israel. I just want to make it clear, that wasn't intended. No moral justifications intended there, just a political comparison.

Last edited:
Thank you, everyone! Yes, more girls!

I apologize for sounding like the "crazy chick" with my two word squeal. Just that, if you post regularly, there's now (IIRC) 3 women on the site (Myself and Seldes Katne). So I kinda was getting hopeful that we start getting more women who like comics around here.

I more or less like the more recent direction Cyclops has taken, even if the execution is sometimes off. It makes sense to me, given how he was raised and the pressure put on him from an early age, would respond to the events they've built over the last few years. I think he's both reasonable and sympathetic to a degree. I think the dichotomy Aaron built between Cyclops and Wolverine is believable and compelling, if a little unexpected. I'd even go so far as to say that he's hypothetically a more interesting character now than he was in Morrison's run. Unfortunately, due to the volume and fluctuating quality of the writers handling him, he's not as consistently well written as he was in New X-Men. And I think AvX is the low point for his handling.

I also think AvX could be a compelling premise. I know it's not a new one but in the past it's always been "this superhero team fights that superhero team", but the series' are now uniquely positioned to tell an interesting story. One is a militant micro-nation that sees themselves as Israel sees themselves, a persecuted minority surrounded by enemies that has every right to defend themselves with hard right militarism. And there's a legitimate question of how justified they are in considering their long-term survival. They aren't a racial or ethnic group. They don't have an established culture. Really, the only thing that defines them is that they have super powers, and given the fact that they've hardly used those powers to push forward a new global renaissance, it's hard to justify that they're the next step of evolution. There could be a strong theme drawn of natural/evolutionary transhumanism (X-Men) vs. technological/self-induced transhumanism (Avengers). The latter seems a more justifiable and cautionary path to sustainability, after all.

Even Cyclops and Captain America have potentially interesting parallels. Both represent the two strains of transhumanism to a tee. Both were young, skinny kids who are poster children for the inception of their groups (both the teams and superhumans/mutants respectively). Both were groomed to be the commanders for their people and one could argue that any differences in philosophy are defined by the size and circumstances of the groups they now lead.

The problem is, they're terrible written. I'm not talking about the dialogue (which is still bad), but the actions. Hey Steve, what's your strategy to extract this potentially world devastating threat from this militarized island nation, directly off our coast, populated by walking, talking weapons of mass destruction who are potentially the equivalent to radical zealots and, if so inclined, could do significant damage to your nation? "Well, we're going to load a bunch of our guys up in a flying ship. I'm going to tell this guy we're taking the girl and if he disagrees, our guys will punch their guys and take the girl". Hey Scott, you know these Avengers are coming. They outnumber you, and you can see their nation, which has the most powerful military in the world, from your bedroom window. They intend to take away your token messiah who you're holding out will save your species against all evidence to the contrary, and really guy, it's a pretty tenuous hope, but that's cool I guess. What's the plan? "Well, we keep her here and we lock her in a room. Then when those guys come, we punch them. Lots."

Genius.

Edit: The original phrasing of the Israel made it sound like I was justifying the actions of Israel. I just want to make it clear, that wasn't intended. No moral justifications intended there, just a political comparison.

Seriously, this. While I normally do not like Scott at all, his current slide into fascist dictator fits the character. I'll be honest tho, having James being "Charles" to his "Erik" still leaves me WTFing. This (AvX) feels as poorly written and exploitative as the worst parts of Civil War, I think it might also be that I'm just tired of the "Hero vs Hero" stories we've been getting for the past... what decade?

Seriously, this. While I normally do not like Scott at all, his current slide into fascist dictator fits the character. I'll be honest tho, having James being "Charles" to his "Erik" still leaves me WTFing. This (AvX) feels as poorly written and exploitative as the worst parts of Civil War, I think it might also be that I'm just tired of the "Hero vs Hero" stories we've been getting for the past... what decade?

I think if any of these "Hero vs Hero" stories were plausible written, they'd be much easier to tolerate. But they always use the most ludicrous set-ups and have the characters over-react so comically that I find it hard to invest myself in.

Honestly, two commanders of superhuman forces, representative of sovereign nations, strategizing against each other? That should be great.

Last edited:
First off, welcome!

Second, MORE GIRLS!!

Thank you, everyone! Yes, more girls!

This is always a good thing.

Off topic, but Bendis recently ranted on Twitter about message boards who aren't welcoming to female readers...I'm glad that we seem to have been pretty welcoming here.

no-girls-allowed.jpg

Just kidding. Welcome GNR!

Haven't we always been pretty welcoming to... well, just about anybody that wasn't Lil' Kis?

Latest posts

Back