Batman Anthology - Timeline (Outdated)

1. Marc Guggenheim has said Jack Napier is alive in Crisis on Infinite Earths. Notice how Batman captures the Joker, not killing him. This makes more sense with the Schumacher films, where Batman stopped killing people.

2. Superman Returns is said to be the same continuity as Superman I-IV in Crisis on Infinite Earths no matter how convoluted it is. Marc Guggenheim confirmed it, and Crisis referenced Superman III, Superman IV and Superman Returns. Marc Guggenheim does think Superman Returns takes place after Superman IV, but he's wrong and we have to ignore him on that specific issue. He did say later on he's unsure if it's still up to him, or if it ever was, so they might retcon this, but I'm just following the official word for now. Superman didn't kill Zod, Ursa or Non, they were arrested by the Arctic Police in a deleted scene. Now, deleted scenes aren't canon but this shows that they weren't intended to be dead. As for his parents, because Superman '78 doesn't apply to this continuity, they are dead.

3. The Schumacher films are confirmed Earth-89 in Crisis Aftermath. The Batman '89 writer made a joke referencing a joke on Twitter that had Batman & Robin as Earth-97 because it released in 1997. If you look at the whole thing, Crisis Aftermath stated Bat-Nipples are canon because of Earth-89 and Earth-97 was a joke referencing release years. Some random guy on twitter didn't understand that, brought it up to the writer and the writer didn't have any context. Also, the writer assumed they were working under Earth-89. Lots of headlines spread misinformation about the Schumacher films having a confirmed Earth number. It is said that The Flash movie will not reference the Schumacher films, but we don't know if that means it's a different universe or if they just won't reference them. A UK vehicle production company working on The Flash does seem to have produced Batman & Robin logos, and they liked my tweets that suggested that it would be easter eggs in Earth-89, but did not like my tweets suggesting it would be a seperate Earth. We will have to wait and see.

4. The comics do matter. They're official continuations of the films and absolutely are canon. The general consensus after Dark Crisis: Big Bang #1, however, is that Superman '78 and Batman '89 are set in the comics multiverse, making it a different canon. I'm trying to be consistent with that by giving it its own timeline. I'm pretty sure it will expand with a Superman '78/Batman '89 crossover comic in the future. Here's hoping for a The Flash '90 reference, lol.

So, in other words, we're working with 3 loosely connected universes:
Earth-89 - Burtonverse
Earth-96 - Donnerverse
Earth-789 - Shared Universe

Last edited:
1. Marc Guggenheim has said Jack Napier is alive in Crisis on Infinite Earths. Notice how Batman captures the Joker, not killing him. This makes more sense with the Schumacher films, where Batman stopped killing people.

2. Superman Returns is said to be the same continuity as Superman I-IV in Crisis on Infinite Earths no matter how convoluted it is. Marc Guggenheim confirmed it, and Crisis referenced Superman III, Superman IV and Superman Returns. Marc Guggenheim does think Superman Returns takes place after Superman IV, but he's wrong and we have to ignore him on that specific issue. He did say later on he's unsure if it's still up to him, or if it ever was, so they might retcon this, but I'm just following the official word for now. Superman didn't kill Zod, Ursa or Non, they were arrested by the Arctic Police in a deleted scene. Now, deleted scenes aren't canon but this shows that they weren't intended to be dead. As for his parents, because Superman '78 doesn't apply to this continuity, they are dead.

3. The Schumacher films are confirmed Earth-89 in Crisis Aftermath. The Batman '89 writer made a joke referencing a joke on Twitter that had Batman & Robin as Earth-97 because it released in 1997. If you look at the whole thing, Crisis Aftermath stated Bat-Nipples are canon because of Earth-89 and Earth-97 was a joke referencing release years. Some random guy on twitter didn't understand that, brought it up to the writer and the writer didn't have any context. Also, the writer assumed they were working under Earth-89. Lots of headlines spread misinformation about the Schumacher films having a confirmed Earth number. It is said that The Flash movie will not reference the Schumacher films, but we don't know if that means it's a different universe or if they just won't reference them. A UK vehicle production company working on The Flash does seem to have produced Batman & Robin logos, and they liked my tweets that suggested that it would be easter eggs in Earth-89, but did not like my tweets suggesting it would be a seperate Earth. We will have to wait and see.

4. The comics do matter. They're official continuations of the films and absolutely are canon. The general consensus after Dark Crisis: Big Bang #1, however, is that Superman '78 and Batman '89 are set in the comics multiverse, making it a different canon. I'm trying to be consistent with that by giving it its own timeline. I'm pretty sure it will expand with a Superman '78/Batman '89 crossover comic in the future. Here's hoping for a The Flash '90 reference, lol.

So, in other words, we're working with 3 loosely connected universes:
Earth-89 - Burtonverse
Earth-96 - Donnerverse
Earth-789 - Shared Universe
I see what if Burton say he doesn't want to do two face in his Batman 3 during the 90s? ....how that would affect our own views on comics as basically Burton v Hamm?

I see what if Burton say he doesn't want to do two face in his Batman 3 during the 90s? ....how that would affect our own views on comics as basically Burton v Hamm?
Burton never made Batman 3, so the actual official material that exists is more canon than ideas floating in Tim Burton's head. If he did make a Batman 3 that contradicted Batman '89, then that would just be another official timeline. Batman '89 still exists, it is still official, it is still part of an official timeline.

Burton never made Batman 3, so the actual official material that exists is more canon than ideas floating in Tim Burton's head.
I am more than meant to say that what if now he getting talk show and he getting 89 comics questions and saying he doesn't consider it canon within his own head.

I am more than meant to say that what if now he getting talk show and he getting 89 comics questions and saying he doesn't consider it canon within his own head.
Well, he can consider whatever he likes to be canon. It doesn't change what is official. DC consider it a proper sequel to Batman Returns. DC wouldn't consider Tim Burton's non-existent film canon. Even if this supposedly happened and it was made into an actual film, it would simply be another sequel to Batman Returns. Both would be official. Both would have timelines.

Think of it like Halloween. Halloween 4, Halloween H20 and Halloween (2018) are all "canon". They are just different timelines/universes. Batman Forever, Batman '89 and Tim Burton's non-existent Batman 3 would be separate timelines/universes... if they all existed. :p

Well, he can consider whatever he likes to be canon. It doesn't change what is official. DC consider it a proper sequel to Batman Returns. DC wouldn't consider Tim Burton's non-existent film canon. Even if this supposedly happened and it was made into an actual film, it would simply be another sequel to Batman Returns. Both would be official. Both would have timelines.

Think of it like Halloween. Halloween 4, Halloween H20 and Halloween (2018) are all "canon". They are just different timelines/universes. Batman Forever, Batman '89 and Tim Burton's non-existent Batman 3 would be separate timelines/universes... if they all existed. :p
And you Forgot that Batman Forever has acknowledged Bruce has killed before...after what happened to Catwoman he realized that he has go back to his no-kill rule and told Dick Revenge did to him and Catwoman and he doesn't want Dick Grayson followed that past

And you Forgot that Batman Forever has acknowledged Bruce has killed before...after what happened to Catwoman he realized that he has go back to his no-kill rule and told Dick Revenge did to him and Catwoman and he doesn't want Dick Grayson followed that past
I'm aware that Bruce refers to when he used to kill people in Batman Forever.

Not really. Superman '78 #3 is set before Batman.
Yes, but it took place during the 80s and comics don't mentioned when In the 80s happens...so another word did took in 88-89 as film mentioned Batman is only active in months or so.

Well, the timeline matches. Superman IV took place in 1985, and Superman '78 can work as being 4 years later.

If Superman 4 takes place in 1985, why does the other timeline say it takes place in 2013?
Different universes. One takes Superman Returns as priority, the other is the pre-retconed timeline information. It is far more consistent with them separate, but I have to accept the current official word which is that Superman I-IV are the same universe as Superman Returns - even though it was supposed to be a reboot working as a homage sequel to Superman II. It pretty much works ignoring prop dates, which can be pretty inconsistent.

Superman IV alone places itself in 1985, Superman IV in the Superman Returns time period places itself in 2013 based on the days of the week matching with that year.

Last edited:
Earth-789 is basically what you get when you don't compromise the timeline to fit Superman Returns and Crisis on Infinite Earths. I personally consider it to basically be the Donnerverse (+Batman), while Earth-96 is just Superman Returns and its prequel comics, but oh well. I don't get to decide, lol.

Different universes. One takes Superman Returns as priority, the other is the pre-retconed timeline information. It is far more consistent with them separate, but I have to accept the current official word which is that Superman I-IV are the same universe as Superman Returns - even though it was supposed to be a reboot working as a homage sequel to Superman II. It pretty much works ignoring prop dates, which can be pretty inconsistent anyway.

Superman IV alone places itself in 1985, Superman IV in the Superman Returns time period places itself in 2013 based on the days of the week matching with that year.
Since Superman 78' is one of few many separate sequels to the Superman the movie and Superman II (Lord knew that only two Cuts of the same film)....it has to be more than 6 years after event of The 2nd film to incorporate The event of Batman 89 and later add Batman Returns then Batman 89'

I wish they stopped muck up the Doomsday Clock (As much I dislike Groff Johns himself ).they bring in the Earth 1985 and Earth 52 to bring the pre-crisis Earth 1 and New52's Earth 0 back as Canon again

Since Superman 78' is one of few many separate sequels to the Superman the movie and Superman II (Lord knew that only two Cuts of the same film)....it has to be more than 6 years after event of The 2nd film to incorporate The event of Batman 89 and later add Batman Returns then Batman 89'
Superman '78 is NOT a sequel to Superman II. It's a sequel to Superman IV. There's an annoying myth that it doesn't count Superman III-IV. Gus Gorman from Superman III has a cameo in the comic, and Dark Crisis specifically mentions Supergirl from the post-Superman II film.

I had to change wikipedia because of that. Their "source" doesn't claim anything, and the comic doesn't contradict any of the other films. Superman '78 is set after Superman IV, and that is that. Nowhere online has anyone said any different, and I followed the artist and writer religiously during its run.

Also, the theatrical cut of Superman II is canon because he throws his emblem in the comic.

Latest posts

Back