Batman Anthology - Timeline (Outdated)

Pro Bot

Last edited:
I'm watching '89, and a Newspaper at the start has the date November 25, then another November 14, then November 7 in that order.

Based on this, I'm going with:
November 25 is correct
November 14 is incorrect
November 6 is incorrect, but is taken as December 6 because of a short time jump since Joker unleashed his laughing "product"

Is this fair?

Which one is this one? Was this in the movie?
a51f8afebb9441f727904eb49f18d8eb.jpg

So it will basically be like superman returns where superman 3 and 4 were not mentioned.
Possibly. For the purpose of this timeline, I'm gonna include it all until that is fully 100% clear and The Flash is incompatible with those films.

It's confirmed the Schumacher films are in Earth-89, per Crisis aftermath and a review about Catwoman on the official DC YouTube channel, and it's confirmed they're disregarding them according to TheWrap. I'm assuming that The Flash will have Keaton come from Earth-89.

I can think of a couple explanations.
1. Batman Forever and Batman & Robin are retroactively a different Earth, say Earth-95, where Batman and Batman Returns happened but The Flash didn't.

2. Batman Forever and Batman & Robin still happened but are ignored for the sake of them being unpopular. (My hope)

3. Keaton comes from a different universe (imagine Earth-96, would be awesome) where the Schumacher films didn't happen.

4. In the new multiverse after Crisis, Earth-89 diverged after 1992 into the reality that is shown in The Flash, even though they hinted that the universes are restored to their original history (I assume Oliver felt sorry for Clark in Earth-96).

I'm holding out till 2022. It's a long time, anything could happen. I've seen possibly completely false reports that it's just a cameo, and if that's the case, it's basically the same Batman. If he has a substantial role, it depends. I guess the only thing that could really separate them is if he says that Two-Face is still around dispite his death in Batman Forever, though I suppose if Joker is alive anyone could be.

On a smaller note, if Superman Returns didn't contradict Superman III, I'd include them as the same continuity, especially because of the Superman III reference in Crisis, but they can't be because Martha Kent died in Superman III.

Last edited:
The second story is clearly the Burtonverse. Catwoman wears the same suit. The wiki seems to agree, too.

However, Penguin appears on a computer screen alive. Should it be assumed the story is somehow during Batman Returns, dispite the fact that Penguin looks majorly different to Danny Devito, or that Penguin was resurrected/had a successor, like Joker? I'm more leaning to the successor idea. Seems more likely. I mean... just look at him.
20.jpg

Hell, maybe this is canon now, haha.

I always thought of it more as a Birds of Prey prequel, the actor and suit matching that continuity, but let's take a look at it with the new information.

Pros
Batsuit
Batmobile
'89 theme
Alfred Pennyworth

Cons
Joker (retroactively alive/replaced)
Penguin (retroactively alive/replaced)
Riddler without brain injury

The only error that now exists is Riddler, but I suppose he could have recovered eventually. He gave me very Jim Carrey vibes in that scene.

Vicki Vale and James Gordon also appear. Recast aren't a problem and we only heard James Gordon's voice. I guess Bruce and Vicki got back together.

Last edited:
The second story is clearly the Burtonverse. Catwoman wears the same suit. The wiki seems to agree, too.

However, Penguin appears on a computer screen alive. Should it be assumed the story is somehow during Batman Returns, dispite the fact that Penguin looks majorly different to Danny Devito, or that Penguin was resurrected/had a successor, like Joker? I'm more leaning to the successor idea. Seems more likely. I mean... just look at him.
View attachment 233

Hell, maybe this is canon now, haha.

I always thought of it more as a Birds of Prey prequel, the actor and suit matching that continuity, but let's take a look at it with the new information.

Pros
Batsuit
Batmobile
'89 theme
Alfred Pennyworth

Cons
Joker (retroactively alive/replaced)
Penguin (retroactively alive/replaced)
Riddler without brain injury

The only error that now exists is Riddler, but I suppose he could have recovered eventually. He gave me very Jim Carrey vibes in that scene.

Vicki Vale and James Gordon also appear. Recast aren't a problem and we only heard James Gordon's voice. I guess Bruce and Vicki got back together.

Birds of Prey resembles the Burtonverse, but more or less the same way Titans looks like the DCEU - but they're not connected.

Side note: but Lois & Clark (the 90s TV series) did have the Burtonverse Batmobile in one episode. If anything, Birds of Prey and Lois & Clark are their own little shared universe. Probably not, but the Burtonverse still doesn't fit with those two shows. :p

Birds of Prey resembles the Burtonverse, but more or less the same way Titans looks like the DCEU - but they're not connected.

Side note: but Lois & Clark (the 90s TV series) did have the Burtonverse Batmobile in one episode. If anything, Birds of Prey and Lois & Clark are their own little shared universe. Probably not, but the Burtonverse still doesn't fit with those two shows. :p
I was suggesting that OnStar could be in the Burtonverse now that we know canonically a new version of Penguin exists, but I used to pretend that it was in the Birds of Prey continuity, since the actor and suit match.

Essentially, I always took OnStar as a silly non-canon advertisement, but seeing how both Joker and penguin exist (see above image) after their deaths, and the various connections to the Burtonverse, I guess OnStar could be canon.

How does Lois & Clark contradict the Burtonverse? I'm pretty sure the only thing we know about that version of Batman is that he had the same Batmobile from the first two Batman films, and it was stolen.

I suppose you could argue that the original Burtonverse Batmobile was destroyed, though if you take OnStar as canon, which seems to be supported by Catwoman 80th Anniversary, "Now You See Me", which features the Michelle Pfeiffer Catwoman and a tv screen with not Danny DeVito's Penguin, then Batman would have recreated that version of the Batmobile. Perhaps he got sick of the disco ball and felt he needed a retro touch.

Last edited:
DC Fandome
Screen-Shot-2020-08-22-at-2.48.35-PM.png
Earth-89 Batman's Batsuit and Batmobile concept art.

Not the only multiverse crossover.

Last edited:
I watched the clip from Lois & Clark with the Batmobile. A very similar theme to the '89 theme plays, or a least I think it did. They state that they're "batty" about having it, it being a one of a kind car.
4a88ea5.png
I don't particularly want to add it, but it makes sense. Batman has his car stolen, and ends up with a new one in Batman Forever. Batman Forever references Metropolis, and Batman & Robin references Superman, with Metropolis being referenced in a deleted scene.

Having the '89 Batmobile doesn't technically mean it's in this universe, though. Earth-99's Batman, played by Kevin Conroy in Crisis on Infinite Earths, had the '89 Batmobile too.

Last edited:
I'd guess Batman '89 takes place in 1993, maybe but not definitely retconing the Schumacher films into pre-crisis ready for The Flash, and Superman '78 takes place between 2015-2019, or perhaps even post-crisis.

Maybe they'll even confirm that the Superman film series takes place in the 1970s and 1980s as originally intended.

Or maybe Christopher Reeve is post-crisis and Superman Returns is Pre-Crisis.

Latest posts

Back