Batman The Dark Knight (UK)

SSJmole

Face-Punching As Foreign Policy
Hello

I decided to make a thread for Batman the dark knight. the uk comic. To see if anyone here reads this.

Basically it's both the usa detective comics and the usa dark knight comic but in one and works out a little cheaper than buying both. I have issues 1 to 11 so far and do have a subscription. They can be bought here http://titanmagazines.com/t/the-dark-knight/ (a little weird their latest issue shown is 9 as I have 10 and 11!) Also should be worth noting this is the new 52 stuff. So we have 1 to 11 of both usa detective comics and the usa dark knight comic. kinda cool I have not read them all yet but it's great we are only like 4 or 5 issues behind for a change. Any batman fans on here from the UK should buy these or the alternative http://titanmagazines.com/t/batman-legends/ which is Batman INC and Batman (e.g this one is now on death of the family)

I wonder what the point is of making a comic specifically for one country. Is there some kind of research that shows that the US stories won't do well in the UK? Marvel used to do that a lot too; I don't know if they still do.

I wonder what the point is of making a comic specifically for one country. Is there some kind of research that shows that the US stories won't do well in the UK? Marvel used to do that a lot too; I don't know if they still do.

It's more distribution/publishing and advertising. E.g A usa comic has adverts in it for products NOT in this country, so they need to reprint it to get the money here which costs money and they wont sell as well here. Most comic fans buy them from comic stores who import usa comics or ebay ect... So they are attempting to give us a comic close to usa one. it's more repackaging yours to sell in our market than it is a new one. from a publisher willing to take the risk of selling them.

That said I recently read the arc from the usa "dark knight" the mystery one dealing with arkham escapees. If any of you saw my comic zone review : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dayK9hoCApk of Dark knight 1# its the continuation of the "one face" story. Over all the story was fun but not a good mystery as i figured it out from start. Ending of arc kinda rushed. But 1) Yay ivy! 2) fun and 3) Superman one hit defeating batman lol were all pros in my mind. I'd give arc a 7 / 10

It's more distribution/publishing and advertising. E.g A usa comic has adverts in it for products NOT in this country, so they need to reprint it to get the money here which costs money and they wont sell as well here. Most comic fans buy them from comic stores who import usa comics or ebay ect... So they are attempting to give us a comic close to usa one. it's more repackaging yours to sell in our market than it is a new one. from a publisher willing to take the risk of selling them.

Yeah but the ads in it are all added after the art is done. There's no reason to create an entirely new book just so they can have UK ads in it.

It really doesn't make sense. I doubt the Marvel UK for example has a high profile writer like Bendis or Hickman or Remender that people will follow. They are going to want those stories; replacing them with lower quality, lower profile writers just doesn't make any sense.

Yeah but the ads in it are all added after the art is done. There's no reason to create an entirely new book just so they can have UK ads in it.

It really doesn't make sense. I doubt the Marvel UK for example has a high profile writer like Bendis or Hickman or Remender that people will follow. They are going to want those stories; replacing them with lower quality, lower profile writers just doesn't make any sense.

Most region specific imprints publish most of their material as reprints, many times as multiple stories packaged together into one book. The series mole is talking about is just that. The model of putting more material in one book, I'd assume, largely has to do with different markets having different audience preferences towards characters and formats (see the booming popularity of Disney Mouse/Duck comics in South America and Europe or the popularity of Zoids in the UK, which is one of the places Grant Morrison got his start). The practical reason is that a local imprint will better know the audience preferences and have a more personal relationship with local distributors.

Not all of the publishing by international imprints of the big two are reprints, but what mole is talking about is. From what I understand, Marvel UK's original output back in the 80's and 90's was actually pretty popular, utilizing rising stars from books like 2000 AD that British audiences would be familiar with but Americans might have never heard of. From what I understand, Morrison and Warren Ellis both got their starts there, and Captain Britain and Excalibur both originated there before being introduced to the US.

Mole could probably clarify better, but I'd assume the real blockbuster American flagships like Avengers and Batman do all get published over in the UK, but I'd imagine their market for those properties aren't quite as high as in America. They've had their own market of comic books for decades, and have books from Europe being shipped into their stores as well as American reprints. It's not necessarily the same market where DC and Marvel have almost entirely dominated the market for fifty years.

Last edited:
Mole could probably clarify better, but I'd assume the real blockbuster American flagships like Avengers and Batman do all get published over in the UK

Actually no or if they do its very scarce. I see them in comic shops with $ not £ on cover and usa adverts. Digital? Yes. physical not really. That's why I mentioned this one reprints your usa detective comics and the usa dark knight comic in one. and not too far behind :)

I think a main reason for this is also to insert region-specific phrases like "cheerio", "poppycock", and "afternoon tea".

Because if a work of literature or writing doesn't include these, the British have absolutely no interest.

Yes in our version Alfred is the main character and Bruce is just treated like the boss that's sitcom character level of stupid :p

Yes in our version Alfred is the main character and Bruce is just treated like the boss that's sitcom character level of stupid :p

What's all this, then? Oi! Bloody hell! That ruddy blighted Batman looks like a complete arse in his UK costume. How in blazes is he supposed to blend in with the night with a bloody Union Jack plastered all over his suit? All the while buggering that poor chav they deem Robin. But that Batgirl is a fit lass, ey? Joker should shut his gob! Blimey! Bollocks! Bob's your uncle. How's your mum? Evening, Guv'nah! Daft, innit? But I say, that Gordon's still a jolly good copper no matter which side of the pond he's on, putting an end to malarkey and kerfuffles here and there, and all those blighters trying to nick some minge. Would certainly knacker me out, but he's a tough old sod. Steady on, old chap, and keep that stiff upper lip. That Riddler's sent to Coventry, annoying little jit. And Hatter's always keen for a spot of tea, that wanker. Killer Croc is a cannibalistic tosser, he is!

What's all this, then? Oi! Bloody hell! That ruddy blighted Batman looks like a complete arse in his UK costume. How in blazes is he supposed to blend in with the night with a bloody Union Jack plastered all over his suit? All the while buggering that poor chav they deem Robin. But that Batgirl is a fit lass, ey? Joker should shut his gob! Blimey! Bollocks! Bob's your uncle. How's your mum? Evening, Guv'nah! Daft, innit? But I say, that Gordon's still a jolly good copper no matter which side of the pond he's on, putting an end to malarkey and kerfuffles here and there, and all those blighters trying to nick some minge. Would certainly knacker me out, but he's a tough old sod. Steady on, old chap, and keep that stiff upper lip. That Riddler's sent to Coventry, annoying little jit. And Hatter's always keen for a spot of tea, that wanker. Killer Croc is a cannibalistic tosser, he is!

Post of the Day.

Although if that ever really did happen I might burn all my comics and shut down the site.

I still get this and heads up they are now doing Batman/Superman too (subscribed to that too) fun! and like batman the dark knight is 2 comics in 1 This is too. 1 half Batman/superman 1 half Injustice tie-comic. Which I'm excited for when it arrives :)

Last edited:
I have stopped with these as they started posting stories in wrong order ect... Instead im'm buying "Batman" TPBs just got volume 1 The court of owls. Not read \tPB yet but already had this story in theses issues I love that story

Latest posts

Back