Batman year one

batboy

I just finished year one. It was incredible. I saw the movie a few months ago (I didn't like it very much) what do you think of year one.

I just finished year one. It was incredible. I saw the movie a few months ago (I didn't like it very much) what do you think of year one.

Year One is one of those seminal Batman tales, the now definitive beginning/origin story. It's played a part in influencing even Batman Begins.

The Dark Knight Returns is the opposite end of that tale. It's also a fantastic story but shows the end of Batman's career (well technically its sequel, The Dark Knight Strikes Again, does, but its an inferior tale compared to TDKR).

Year One is fantastic. I really love it. Characterization, art - the tone is similar to Daredevil Born Again and it fits both stories perfectly.

Another thing I like about Year One that most people probably couldn't care less about - it was a major reboot/retooling that didn't take place in a miniseries. They just told the story in the regular Batman book. No gimmicks, no anniversary issues or numbering gimmicks...the story is the focus. That's how it should be.

Dark Knight Returns is almost as good.

Dark Knight Strikes Again, though? It's a hot mess.

I think they made the dark knight strikes again because everyone loved the dark knight returns so the made a sequel

I love Year One, for all the reasons stated above, but I think it's miles better than The Dark Knight Returns, which I don't much care for. It's too...Frank Miller, if that makes any sense. He's fairly restrained in Year One, but he kinda just lets loose in TDKR, and it's worse off for it. I know it's often credited as being right up there with Watchmen as THE seminal gritty-superhero-deconstruction-from-the-80's, but I actually think Watchmen is leagues better and stands alone in that title.

I love Year One, for all the reasons stated above, but I think it's miles better than The Dark Knight Returns, which I don't much care for. It's too...Frank Miller, if that makes any sense. He's fairly restrained in Year One, but he kinda just lets loose in TDKR, and it's worse off for it.

I agree with all of this.

The only issue I have with Batman Year One is that it should be called Comissioner Gordon Year One. That's not really a problem though and I still think it's a fantastic comic.

I love Year One, for all the reasons stated above, but I think it's miles better than The Dark Knight Returns, which I don't much care for. It's too...Frank Miller, if that makes any sense. He's fairly restrained in Year One, but he kinda just lets loose in TDKR, and it's worse off for it. I know it's often credited as being right up there with Watchmen as THE seminal gritty-superhero-deconstruction-from-the-80's, but I actually think Watchmen is leagues better and stands alone in that title.

If someone was talking to me about comics and they described Dark Knight Returns and I had never read it, I would say no thanks. But it works for some reason. I don't know why. It's not really any different, fundamentally, from much of his other work including work that gets lambasted often, but it just works.

I can agree with it not being up with watchmen but it DEFINITELY a very good one. (DKR that is)

Headache Haute!

I thought Year One was one of the superior storylines in the Batman (DC Comics) universe.

The animated film adaptation was not bad either, with Ben McKenzie (from Fox's Gotham) lending his voice as the voice of Wayne/Batman.

I especially liked the characterization of Selina Kyle (Catwoman) in Year One and how it complements the overall Batman-Catwoman developmental psych story arc.

Sometimes, you just need a 'Vigilante Tylenol.'

Here's a Year One post I found on YouTube (below); it should stay up for a bit.

:)

Extra_Strength_Tylenol_and_Tylenol_PM.jpg

[video=youtube;oD5GsRhP5q8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD5GsRhP5q8[/video]

Hatter/Hues

Even though Year One does not introduce all of the Bat-villains of Gotham City, it does a nice job of presenting the 'shadowy face' of Batman (DC Comics) storyboards that helps fans appreciate the unsightly-criminality symbolism of nemeses such as Mad Hatter and Talia al Ghul, IMO.

Gotham is pervasive with 'perfect piranhas,' so the villains that rise to creepy power, especially the likes of Mad Hatter (a death-trap magician) and Penguin (a leering crime-master), signify dingy anti-social rage.

Isn't Gotham the apocalypse?

Piranha

4904014-hatter.jpg

I love Year One. It's so well put together, and it's even a great starting point for new readers of Batman. Absolutely excellent.

Latest posts

Back