Captain America Movie

It's not what Brubaker wants, it's what Marvel wants

They'll go with what Brubaker wants, I bet... They'll do WWII one-shots or a story within the comic that flashes back to when Steve was around.

Keep in mind when The Dark Knight came out, Batman was crazy and running around Gotham in a purple and yellow costume.

They'll go with what Brubaker wants, I bet... They'll do WWII one-shots or a story within the comic that flashes back to when Steve was around.

Keep in mind when The Dark Knight came out, Batman was crazy and running around Gotham in a purple and yellow costume.
Marvel is not DC.

I'm not saying that something won't happen in the Cap comic, but that what Marvel wants is usually what the final say will be.

Last edited:
Considering the first movie is set in WWII, what should be in it?

Should Bucky have a costume or should he just be a normal soldier?

Should they do Cap's origin? What kind of costume should he wear?

I assume almost everyone would agree the Red Skull should be the villain, over say Kleiser. How should they explain his skull face? Is he wearing a mask or just deformed?

Also should Cap's personality be closer to the 616 or Ultimate version?

I assume that everyone here would want the final scene to be the castle seige from Ultimates 1.

In order:

Bucky should have his costume but no domino mask. Or have the costume for publicity stunts, and wear a regular uniform on the battlefield.

Yes on Cap's origin, Ultimates WWII uniform.

Red Skull as a villain of Nazi super science.

Ultimate Cap for WWII, and a mixture of the two for modern times.

Yes on the castle siege.

Let me start by applauding the restraint you showed by not starting a thread for each one of these questions.

:lol:

You just want to be a rabble-rouser, don't you?

Rousing is my craft, and rabble my medium.

No, he is a well established rabble-rouser.

Much has been written on the subject, yes.

I think that's largely because it was Grant Morrison, and I get the feeling Dan Didio would let Grant do whatever he wants, not that I'm complaining. Marvel would be smart to treat Brubaker the same way. He's one of their all-stars. He knows what he's doing. And honestly, I don't think what's happening in the comic next to what's happening at the movies is that big of a deal. I think most people who'd pick up a comic from seeing a movie are going to start by grabbing the trade.

Marvel is not DC.

I'm not saying that something won't happen in the Cap comic, but that what Marvel wants is usually what the final say will be.

Yeah. I mean, of course. Brubaker works for Marvel, so naturally Marvel gets the final say. I'm not so sure that's what Marvel wants, though.

Anyway, back to Overlord's questions. I think Bucky and Cap (if Bucky appears) should both have costumes for publicity, and uniforms that are actually built as practical combat armor for the field. Bucky shouldn't be a normal soldier. He's a dual-sided sword, a well-trained albeit young special operative who can serve in the media to drive up enlistment among the youth. I don't think we necessarily need to see Cap's origin because there's not a lot to it, but it should be a shadow cast over the film. Captain America's got the weirdest origin, by far of all Marvel's guys. I mean, he's a superhero who's origin is that the US government injected him with steroids and basically turned him into a German ubermensch, but a problem with the formula is that rarely anyone is genetically strong enough to survive the formula. er.... I think there's a lot of gray space surrounding the origins of the character to be explored. If the Red Skull's going to be the villain, then I feel like we need to see him become the Red Skull over the course of the film. Cap should be much more sympathetic. I don't think Ultimate Cap will pull off a whole lot of sympathy. Besides which, Ultimate Cap is a character steeled by war. Presumably we'll see a younger Cap, who hasn't yet become hardened. I think it should be a metamorphosis from a young, idealistic man who's eager to jump into the battlefields, to a soldier hardened by being on the front lines of possibly the most horrific war in history. As for the castle siege scene, **** it. Let the film make it's own scenes. There's no reason to be tethered to a story from another medium.

There is no way we WON'T see the classic costume on cap during the course of this film. That's the iconic costume, that's the one we'll see. Maybe we will see both, but we willl most certainly see the classic one.

Let me start by applauding the restraint you showed by not starting a thread for each one of these questions.

In order:
Nazis.

No costume.

Yes. The Ultimates version of his WW2 costume.

Deformed by evil Nazi experiments.

And you tried to be sneaky by not ending the last one with a question mark, but yes I would like a scene similar to that siege to be the end of the movie.

Granted, Was he wearing a mask that was given to him by Hitler at first? He got deform when he got hit by his own poison.

Of course they could cut off the middle man.

Heineich and Zola should probably show up as well.

It's not what Brubaker wants, it's what Marvel wants.

And it doesn't have to be in a main series. That's why they have reprints, minis, and trades coming out. Marvel specifically waited for the Hulk movie to release the WWH trades/HCs.

Granted so far they've left Brubaker alone.

Besides, they could just as easily do a mini retelling Steve's origin.

Not saying you don't have a point....I'm just saying.

Last edited:
Considering the first movie is set in WWII, what should be in it?
Straight up war epic with a slight mix of science fiction. I think everyone agrees that Millar did right. Just replace the aliens with a hard hitting arms race and Red Skull as they're answer to the supersoldier. Skull doesn't even have to come off as the leader type if they want to use him later because if they show the parallels of Steve Rogers and Johann Schmidt rising up the ranks, along with America vs. The Soviets in an arms race, you'd have a pretty decent theme running.

Should Bucky have a costume or should he just be a normal soldier?
What kind of costume should Cap wear?
They should both have uncomfortable, tacky costumes that they do wear into battle for part of the film. The whole idea's just for show anyway, isn't it? Even if they are jacked for battle in any way, they should still look extremely over the top. Probably wouldn't work for General Audience but I think that's how it should go.

Should they do Cap's origin?
Yes.

I assume almost everyone would agree the Red Skull should be the villain, over say Kleiser. How should they explain his skull face? Is he wearing a mask or just deformed?
Mask most likely. If not there should be a slight reference of simply just give him the name. He should be the Nazis answer to Cap both in battle and in the eyes of their forces supporters.

Also should Cap's personality be closer to the 616 or Ultimate version?
Was Captain America anything like Ultimate Cap when he was unfrozen. I think when I started reading 616 Cap, he had a pretty decent grasp on the century he was in.

I assume that everyone here would want the final scene to be the castle seige from Ultimates 1.[/QUOTE]minus Aliens. I think if they did the monologue with his note to Gail fading to the present where he wakes up would be a good ending.

''Was Captain America anything like Ultimate Cap when he was unfrozen. I think when I started reading 616 Cap, he had a pretty decent grasp on the century he was in.''

Granted going from the 40's to the 60's isn't as big of a leap as from the 40's to the 2,000's.

All thing considered i'd have him more like the 616 Steve Rogers since he's the actual Steve Rogers.

Not that i don't like Ultimate Cap.

Granted going from the 40's to the 60's isn't as big of a leap as from the 40's to the 2,000's.

All thing considered i'd have him more like the 616 Steve Rogers since he's the actual Steve Rogers.

Not that i don't like Ultimate Cap.

I already see Ult Cap as Movie version Cap. What the would do with 616 to make him more movie accessible

I already see Ult Cap as Movie version Cap. What the would do with 616 to make him more movie accessible

What do you mean by that?

Anyway I think Red Skull would look very scary in an SS uniform with a skull for a face
RedSkull.jpg

I never liked that green jumpsuit he wore sometimes.

You mean Personality or Origin?

I mean they could easily have him have Ult Cap's orgin with 616's Cap's personality.

Anyway I think Red Skull would look very scary in an SS uniform with a skull for a face

Back then it would be a mask.

Then again currently it's a Mask too but that was because he was in Lukin's body.

Last edited:
Movie versions are generally modern interuptations of characters, things are changed to work with the audience of the time. Ultimate Captian is a damn close result of the same principle

616 Cap is more likable though and liakable characters are important, compare their attitudes towards the French for example. Audiences like it when the mian character is somewhat likable.

Back then it would be a mask.

Then again currently it's a Mask too but that was because he was in Lukin's body.

Why, what's wrong with a deformed guy wearing an SS uniform?

Last edited:
616 Cap is more likable though and liakable characters are important, compare their attitudes towards the French for example. Audiences like it when the mian character is somewhat likable.

You're telling me that an American audience, which is Marvel's prime national demographic, would be turned off at "This A stands for France"? And Ultimate Cap is likable but he's also a much tougher character, he feels like someone whose been through a war and have seen some horrible ****. That is much more realistic and can give a real character for the audience empathize with. He is just like 616 cap, just a modern take on the character. Or else will end up with something very campy like how cap usually has been portrayed in other medias

You're telling me that an American audience, which is Marvel's prime national demographic, would be turned off at "This A stands for France"? And Ultimate Cap is likable but he's also a much tougher character, he feels like someone whose been through a war and have seen some horrible ****. That is much more realistic and can give a real character for the audience empathize with. He is just like 616 cap, just a modern take on the character. Or else will end up with something very campy like how cap usually has been portrayed in other medias

Was Brubaker's Captain America campy?

I think an American audeince would have found it cool in 2003, I think a lot of people would think that comment is stupid and jingoistic nowadays.

Plus there are key differences between 616 Cap and Ultimate Cap, Ultimate Cap is merely a follower and would do almost anything the government tells him to, 616 cap is a leader, he has values and will not compronise and he doesn't mindlessly follow anyone, he fought against the government like 3 times, because he felt they were compromising America's values. That's the difference, 616 Cap is an icon and symbol, Ultimate Cap is just another soldier.

Last edited:
Was Brubaker's Captain America campy?
Nope but he's more like Ult Cap than how 616 Cap was generally portrayed Also I said in "other medias" meaning in things like TV, movie, etc. It wasn't until after Ult Cap made his appearance did Cap in both 616 and other medias became far less campy
I think an American audeince would have found it cool in 2003, I think a lot of people would think that comment is stupid and jingoistic nowadays.
I'm willing to bet if people saw that on scree3n tomorrow they would both understand the WWII mindset as well as cheer for the sheer awesomeness and hilarityof that moment
Plus there are key differences between 616 Cap and Ultimate Cap, Ultimate Cap is merely a follower and would do almost anything the government tells him to, 616 cap is a leader, he has values and will not compronise and he doesn't mindlessly follow anyone, he fought against the government like 3 times, because he felt they were compromising America's values. That's the difference, 616 Cap is an icon and symbol, Ultimate Cap is just another soldier.

Yeas but you should also see that ate the end of U2 Cap has broken away from that and as grown philosophically, which could make for a great character development in a film. Most of the times before the UU whenever I've seen cap it always been very campy "fight for Justice" whether he's against the government or not. Ult Cap really made the character a person and that's what more movies of today need.

Also I'm not saying exclusively Ult Cap, just a good deal

Latest posts

Back