Captain America Movie

Holy crap he does look like him. I've only seen him in Sons of Anarchy, I'm not sure about his voice it seems a bit raspy or something. Still I'm willing to give him a shot.

He's British, I'm sure he can adapt to the different accents well enough from Californian to Brooklyn. And Jax as Captain America would be so effing sweet.

He's British, I'm sure he can adapt to the different accents well enough from Californian to Brooklyn. And Jax as Captain America would be so effing sweet.

Really? He hides the accent very well. So I have no objects whatsoever with him

O noes! We haz cancelled eech other out! :D

I still maintain my choice for Sam Worthington. But........

Another popular choice for Cap has always been Brad Pitt. But Pitt's too old now. But what about a younger actor who looks LIKE a younger Brad Pitt? AND ONE THAT CAN ACT!?!?!

Charlie Hunnam

Compare:

charlie-hunnam-20090415-504572.jpg
Charlie-Hunnam.jpg

to

brad-pitt-frontpage.jpg

Si? Si?

But Cap isn't that young himself.

Not anymore, but the movie is Cap circa WW2.

He was born on July 4th, 1917 and the first issue was published in March 1941. So canonically he was 23 when he underwent the process. Brad Pitt is 46. He's too old to play current Cap, let alone young Cap.

Holy crap he does look like him. I've only seen him in Sons of Anarchy, I'm not sure about his voice it seems a bit raspy or something. Still I'm willing to give him a shot.

I remember him in Apatow's Undeclared and he was "charming" enough to pull off any kind of romantic angle they want to push on Cap. And I've seen him hold his weight in Nicholas Nickleby and now I'm seeing an edgier side of him in Sons of Anarchy. He's more than proved that he's got the versatility to play Cap.

And Jax as Captain America would be so effing sweet.

Damn skippy!

I object!

Because he's black?

Well that's one of the major problem with the comics. Like McCheese is saying....

Not anymore, but the movie is Cap circa WW2.

He was born on July 4th, 1917 and the first issue was published in March 1941. So canonically he was 23 when he underwent the process. Brad Pitt is 46. He's too old to play current Cap, let alone young Cap.

Cap was YOUNG when he underwent the supersoldier process. Depending on who is writing his origin story, he's anywhere from 18-21 (or maybe even as old as 25). But as soon as he's transformed into Cap he looks like he's 35!

I know it's ridiculous to think about the logic involved but "take this formula and it'll give you muscles......and wrinkles"? Meh.

Now I know it's hard to justify older heroes like Tony Stark, Reed Richards, Thor, Banner and so on taking orders from what is essentially a 20 year old boy....so to make Cap "look" the same age as his fellow Avengers is understandable. But there's only so much aging you can do without having to recast or go heavy on make-up and effects.

I believe Hunnam is late 20s (which is ideal for a franchise schedule) and definitely doesn't look as young as he did when he starred in Undeclared. So I can buy them telling me he's almost 30 for film story standpoints.

Cap was YOUNG when he underwent the supersoldier process. Depending on who is writing his origin story, he's anywhere from 18-21 (or maybe even as old as 25). But as soon as he's transformed into Cap he looks like he's 35!

I know it's ridiculous to think about the logic involved but "take this formula and it'll give you muscles......and wrinkles"? Meh.

Now I know it's hard to justify older heroes like Tony Stark, Reed Richards, Thor, Banner and so on taking orders from what is essentially a 20 year old boy....so to make Cap "look" the same age as his fellow Avengers is understandable. But there's only so much aging you can do without having to recast or go heavy on make-up and effects.

I believe Hunnam is late 20s (which is ideal for a franchise schedule) and definitely doesn't look as young as he did when he starred in Undeclared. So I can buy them telling me he's almost 30 for film story standpoints.
That is true, you also have to think about his 1940's mentality adds age to the character. So you really need an actor who can take charge and show the wisdom that comes with age without actually being old. Take the guy who play Adrian in Watchmen. My only complaint with him is that he didn't have the maturity to pull off the role. As a result the character seemed lame. That has nothing to do with his actual age, but his on screen presence.

That is true, you also have to think about his 1940's mentality adds age to the character. So you really need an actor who can take charge and show the wisdom that comes with age without actually being old. Take the guy who play Adrian in Watchmen. My only complaint with him is that he didn't have the maturity to pull off the role. As a result the character seemed lame. That has nothing to do with his actual age, but his on screen presence.

True.

In any case, look at the huge character cast on Sons of Anarchy and you can definitely see that Hunnam can hold his own.

Yeah, But Brad doesn't look that old. He could pull it off.

Brad is 46 and he's starting to look it. Despite the shape he's in, he is just too old for the role of Cap.

Would I dye his hair brown and grey...throw an eyepatch on him...and call him Nick Fury in a Cap movie? HELL YES!

Would I have him don the red, white and blue....slap wings on his ears...and have him play Cap? No.

That worries me a bit. "It is influenced by the comic book, but it goes off in a completely different direction." What is the ratio of it? After all it could be influenced by name and the fact he has a shield but be as horrible as the Street fighter films were at adaptations.

Joe Johnston talks about Captain America and Jurassic Park 5.

Jurassic park 4. There are currently 3 movies, but the last script for #4 was leaked, so that might be what got you confused. It was about intelligent raptors trained to fight crime.

I hope they pick up on the DNA Dennis Nedry lost in the first movie. That has been a dangling plotline i've been hopeing to see resolved.

I'm sorry, what movie was this thread for again? :wink:

Last edited:
That worries me a bit. "It is influenced by the comic book, but it goes off in a completely different direction." What is the ratio of it? After all it could be influenced by name and the fact he has a shield but be as horrible as the Street fighter films were at adaptations.

Probably because it's set in WWII. The comics don't revolve Steve's life completely in the War, just flashbacks.

Captain America Director Joe Johnston:
"We need to cast it soon,We have a very short list, but we're still juggling actors here. I'd say within the next couple of weeks we'll have ourselves a Captain America, I hope."

And filming to being in June

source: scifiwire

Red Skull is confirmed to be the villain in Captain America. Also, most of the movie will take place during WWII

Joe Johnston:
Virtually the entire story except the bookends are in World War II because we all recognize we have one chance to tell the origin story of how he became Captain America, you can't tell a modern story and then go back and tell the origin story. If you're going to do it, let's do it. Let's do it first. Everyone wanted to tell an origin story. There was a version where it was a modern story and it didn't work

source: SSH

LA Times Interview with Cap director Joe Johnston (SPOILERS)

topics discussed:
casting of Steve Rogers/Cap
Joe Johnston:
Well, we're testing five or six guys. The youngest is 23, the oldest is 32. Most of the guys in the war are just kids, 18 or 19, but we want to go a little bit older. We have to have somebody locked in before I leave March 1 for London.

And the costume in the movie (this is where the spoilers come in)

I'm a bit warry of some ideas there and what the hell does "Cpa" mean?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back