CGC Grading (Comic books worth)

nigma

{Has anyone used this yet? below is info on what it is}

CGC stands for ,Comics Guaranty, LLC (CGC) a part of the Certified Collectibles Group. pretty much they are the people that say if your comic book is really worth anything or not. and what type of condtion it is in.

I was thinking about getting my meager collection graded, but the ,cost for it is a grip with fudge (aka A LOT of money). and what they do is (provided by http://www.gregholland.com/valiant/cgcinfo.asp) :
The process involves sending the comic to CGC for professional grading by
members of their staff. The book will then be encapsulated and sealed
in an archival-safe holder, protecting the book and ensuring that the book
remains in the same condition that has been established by CGC.

below is there grading scale:

here is an easy to understand label placed on the interior of the holder on certified comic books. The label displays the title, issue #, publisher and grade of a comic book. It can also display the importance (for Key Issues) or the artist (if by an important artist). There are four different colored labels that represent:

* Universal (blue) — This label is applied to comic books that are simply the grade as marked with no qualifiers or special considerations.

* Signature Series (yellow) — This label is applied to comic books that have been signed by someone of significance to the comic, under the direct observation of a CGC employee, and are thus certified as an authentic signature by CGC.

* Qualified (green) — A Qualified label is used by CGC for certified books that have a significant defect that needs specific description. For example, it is would be a disservice to the seller and buyer to call a VF/NM book with a 4-inch back cover tear a VG, so CGC will give this book a Qualified grade of "VF/NM 9.0, back cover 4-inch tear."

* Restored (purple) — This label is applied to any comic book that has evidence of repair so it will appear as it did when it was in its original condition. Restoration can come in a variety of degrees, slight professional restoration (SP) to extensive amateur restoration (EA).

* Modern (red) — An outdated label used originally to distinguish modern comics. (these books can be sent in for our New Holder service and receive a blue, universal label at the same grade)

1-10 GRADING SCALE
10.0…………Mint
9.9………… Mint
9.8 ………… Near Mint/Mint
9.6………… Near Mint +
9.4 ………… Near Mint
9.2 ………… Near Mint -
9.0 ………… Very Fine/Near Mint
8.5………… Very Fine +
8.0 ………… Very Fine
7.5 ………… Very Fine -
7.0 ………… Fine/Very Fine
6.5 ………… Fine +
6.0 ………… Fine
5.5 ………… Fine -
5.0 ………… Very Good/Fine
4.5 ………… Very Good +
4.0 ………… Very Good
3.5 ………… Very Good -
3.0 ………… Good/Very Good
2.5 ………… Good +
2.0 ………… Good
1.8 ………… Good -
1.5 ………… Fair/Good
1.0 ………… Fair
0.5 ………… Poor

I don't have any slabbed books nor do I ever plan on buying one. I don't buy comics as an investment, so if I can't read it it's a waste of money.

And yeah, if I by some miracle was able to buy an Amazing Fantasty #15, you better bet that I'd open that baby up and read it.

thee great one said:
I never wanted to do this because then you can't read the comics.

yes you can, they have made the holder in a way that you can open it, but....you'll have to re-grade it though

Latest posts

Back