Comic Books for Kids

I enjoy people getting impaled with a magic sword or having holes burned through their head with heat vision as much as anyone, trust me. But, it's not always the best stuff to give to a child (or so I'm told). So, with that in mind, what would you say are probably the best comics for kids to read?

And when I say "best", I mean both appropriate and actually good. I have a short list that I created after going through my own collection, and I think I've got a pretty well-rounded selection here, but I would like to get additional feedback and suggestions as well.

[Top 10] Comic Books for Kids

I'm still old-fashioned enough to read most comics in hard copy, but some of these might also be available in digital. As always, reading choice depends on the child's interests and sensitivity levels. Some general suggestions:

Dogman series, by Dav Pilkey
Babymouse series, by Jennifer L. Holm
Amulet series, by Kazu Kibuishi
Class Act and New Kid, by Jerry Craft
Raina Telemeiger GNs such as Guts, Drama, Smile, etc.
Jeff Smith's Bone GN(s)
Big Nate series, by Lincoln Peirce
The Courageous Princess trilogy by Rod Espinosa

There are several kid-friendly versions of Star Wars stories, Marvel and DC superhero GNs, and graphic adaptations of classics (Sherlock Holmes, Jules Verne, Swiss Family Robinson, etc.) You might want to stop by your local library and ask in the Children's area what's available.

I enjoy people getting impaled with a magic sword or having holes burned through their head with heat vision as much as anyone, trust me. But, it's not always the best stuff to give to a child (or so I'm told). So, with that in mind, what would you say are probably the best comics for kids to read?

And when I say "best", I mean both appropriate and actually good. I have a short list that I created after going through my own collection, and I think I've got a pretty well-rounded selection here, but I would like to get additional feedback and suggestions as well.

[Top 10] Comic Books for Kids
I watched Terminator 2 and Robocop as a toddler and have been reading regular comic books, including stuff like Sandman, since I was ~7. My first Superman comic was the Byrne era with Clark going to Apokalips. As a child (and an adult) I actively disliked most content made for children (especially with a bunch of child characters) and would simply ignore it. The only cartoons I really liked were Fleischer Superman, X-Men and Batman: TAS, all of which were very serious, edgy and violent by today's kid show standards (including most of the mostly awful kiddy superhero shows). To be frank, you couldn't have stopped me from reading Spawn in third grade. I'd just resent you if you tried, and there are family members I will never speak to again because they destroyed comic books I owned for religious reasons.

Latest posts

Back