Costume complaints

Spider-Man-Fine. Don't mess with success.
X-Men-The costumes are all right, but I'd prefer something closer to New X-Men.
FF-I love these costumes. They just need to keep the Thing out of the whole shorts/speedos look.
Ultimates-Utter costume perfection.
Daredevil-The black ninja outfit would make more sense.
Namor-I like the ankle wings. There. I said it...

Random said:
Well actually Stan Lee never intended Xaiver/Magneto to represent King/Malcom X, He was just representing them as peaceful/violent protestors.
I had heard the King/X angle before, one thinks that mutants should integrate into society, the other thinks that there should be a separate mutant state.

Actually the original Hulk was grey, but the printer said that grey was too difficult to do, so Stan thought what color to make him and said "Well, not too many heroes are green so lets do that."
Also, all radiation was portrayed as being green at the time. Lee is nothing if not apocryphal in his explanations.

Last edited:
moonmaster said:
FF-I love these costumes. They just need to keep the Thing out of the whole shorts/speedos look.

I forgot to mention the UFF - I love the costumes. And I agree about Ben - keep him in the jumpsuit.

In fact, I wish they would go more in depth about the costumes and at least mention how they are practical for combat or in a lab. Play up the unstable molecules bit (which, incidently, if involved in their origin would have vastly improved that first arc, but that's a different rant).

UltimateE said:
Also - the X-Men. I hate the costumes. They are stupid, pointless, and unnecessary. They should all have leather jackets a la New X-Men.

They don't anymore. Now they are in costumes again. You're not allowed to mention Morrison's New X-Men run. Neither is Mooney or myself. Or anyone. Except maybe Joss Whedon. Marvel won't allow it. Just accept that from now on, Marvel will repeat that run's contents over and over again, but continually worse.

Also, calling Doctor Doom "Jean-Claude Van Damme" was ****ing retarded.

Last edited:
Lynx said:
How else is he going to fly? Would you rather huge wings growing out of his back ala Angel?

Hell yeah.

You either fly through real wings, with a wingspan sufficient to bear your weight, or through some kind of external power like Storm, Human Torch or Magneto who lift themselves off the ground with their powers.

The wings on Namor's ankle wouldn't lift a hamster of the ground.

Last edited:
I liked Ultimate Green Goblin's look. Made him actually scary, but I prefer what he resembled in the Legacy arc. His form in Ultimate Six onwards resembles Abomination too much, so people might have trouble differentiating the two if our suspicions of Ultimate Abomination showing up in Ultimates 2 #10 is true. I would have preferred a leaner version of UGG, but still stick with the burning skin.

cmdrjanjalani said:
I liked Ultimate Green Goblin's look. Made him actually scary, but I prefer what he resembled in the Legacy arc. His form in Ultimate Six onwards resembles Abomination too much, so people might have trouble differentiating the two if our suspicions of Ultimate Abomination showing up in Ultimates 2 #10 is true. I would have preferred a leaner version of UGG, but still stick with the burning skin.

Ah, but if my theory that it's green goblin on the cover of Ultimate 10 is correct... :wink:

Personnally, I think the GG look was at its best in the return of the Green Goblin arc. And since he was in UU first, if Abomination is introduced and looks like GG, I'll say that it's abomination who looks like Green Goblin and not the other way around.

Last edited:
icemastertron said:
Remember that they only wore that to hide themselves from the Sentinel scanners.

Well you'd think they'd still wear it once in a while

UltimateE said:
They aren't practical. One sticks out in my mind specifically - I remember when The Tempest began, and it showed Nightcrawler with this idiotic...things on his shoulders. What are they? What do they do?

When they are jumping around, punching, kicking, and wrestling around, costumes have to be as practical as possible. Outer shoulder pads and utility belts that go around their shoulders and stuff like that just aren't.

Yeah Nightcrawler, thats a just a jacket I think stylle not practical, and I don't mind it at all. It's just there because its Nightcrawlers ultimized costume, just like how Wolverine has those strips. I they should have elbow and knee pads, but Colossus does have those boots the go up to his knees. What you should be pissed off at is Kitty Pride wearing a dress with a short skirt? Who the hell wears that to a fight?

E.Vi.L. said:
Hell yeah.

You either fly through real wings, with a wingspan sufficient to bear your weight, or through some kind of external power like Storm, Human Torch or Magneto who lift themselves off the ground with their powers.

The wings on Namor's ankle wouldn't lift a hamster of the ground.
Actually, Lynx misunderstood my comment about being "biologically sensible" (no offense, buddy) -- perhaps I should have been a little more clear about this.

Let's say that we're willing to accept the basic idea of an undersea civilization. Assuming that it's been surviving for several generations, it would make sense that each succeeding generation would adapt, biologically, to fit the conditions it was born into -- in the case of the Atlanteans, that would be gills (which we haven't seen yet) and fins (on their ankles) to better their chances of undersea survival. Isn't that just basic evolutionary theory in practice? And besides, the 616 Namor is still considered the first mutant of the Marvel Universe (in order fo chronological appearance, anyway). So I think the whole argument in favor of heel-fins, er, holds water, so to speak.

In any case, there's apparently a whole thread dedicated to Namor's ankle-wings, so I'd rather not start a second discussion one here. If anybody else wants to debate this subject, could they please revive that thread. It's still active, in the archives of the Fantastic Four forum, I believe.

Oh come on. They'd develop big size 24 flappy duck-like feet if they were evolving toward becoming better swimmer. The wings would obviously slow you down since they increase the surfaces of the feet on the side instead of the rear. They would just produce resistance to Namor's leg movement without increasing the amounnt of water being displaced behind him. Anyway, I bet Namor swims the same way Superman flies ; by author's fiat.

Beside, this thread is about costume (and by extension appearances) complaints.

And Namor's wing, beside being useless, looks incredibly dumb. That makes him worthy of some bashing in this thread.

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
And Namor's wing, beside being useless, looks incredibly dumb. That makes him worthy of some bashing in this thread.

As a man with ankle wings himself, I take offense to this statement. A good day to you sir.

E.Vi.L. said:
Anyway, I bet Namor swims the same way Superman flies ; by author's fiat.

I doubt either Superman or Namor, in order to get around, would actually have to borrow a car.

compound said:
Actually, Lynx misunderstood my comment about being "biologically sensible" (no offense, buddy) -- perhaps I should have been a little more clear about this.

Let's say that we're willing to accept the basic idea of an undersea civilization. Assuming that it's been surviving for several generations, it would make sense that each succeeding generation would adapt, biologically, to fit the conditions it was born into -- in the case of the Atlanteans, that would be gills (which we haven't seen yet) and fins (on their ankles) to better their chances of undersea survival. Isn't that just basic evolutionary theory in practice? And besides, the 616 Namor is still considered the first mutant of the Marvel Universe (in order fo chronological appearance, anyway). So I think the whole argument in favor of heel-fins, er, holds water, so to speak.

In any case, there's apparently a whole thread dedicated to Namor's ankle-wings, so I'd rather not start a second discussion one here. If anybody else wants to debate this subject, could they please revive that thread. It's still active, in the archives of the Fantastic Four forum, I believe.

None taken. In fact, I originally thought they were fins.

However him having wings would point to him being able to fly. Just like 616. But hey, we'll just have to wait an see.

compound said:
Can't -- and won't -- argue with that logic ;)
Bass said:
I doubt either Superman or Namor, in order to get around, would actually have to borrow a car.

It's just a little disapointing you know.

Superman, while deserving a nod as a the first modern superhero, is a mess.

I read up a bit on his history and in the beginning he was just superstrong and though. He could made giant leap because of his strenght.

He was just the Hulk without a temper problem! Then he started to fly because authors thought it was nice. And then wonky vision powers. And then that frost breath (bet it's minty too). And there is that "tactile telekinesis" that surround the objects he pick up to explain why he can lift huge structure off the ground without having them collapse under their own weight (that last one is secondhand ; a fan told me when I wondered about that subject). And who knows what else.

And what's the justification? Well, our sun is different than the one on his home planet...

Spider-Man's power are no less fantastic and impossible but they form a coherent whole and they mesh with his orgin story.

And most of the flyers of UU fly for fantastical but logical reasons. Ironman and Human torch basically fly the same way any jet fly. Storm rides powerful winds that she summons. Magneto lifts himself off the ground by using his powers on a metal belt and such. Angel actually has huge wings that at least look sufficient to lift a man. None of it is really possible but it makes sense, if you know what I mean, and that's the first requirement of suspension of disbelief amongst the 12 years old and older. Superman just flies because he is Superman. Much like Santa Claus reindeer. And now Namor...

But I am gonna muster a last dose of optimism. Perhaps the wings on the cover are just a nod to 616 Namor but inside the issue Namor doesn't have them. After all, I've learned after the fact that Ultimate Captain America got rid of similar wings on his helmets (god, this would have been awful). And it was Millar at the helm as it is now. If Millar feels small silly wings have no places on helmet, surely he feels the same for ankles. Right? Right? So here's to hoping against hope that UFF 25 shows us a wingless Namor.

(Other delusional posters can join me and we'll form a club)

---

Hey, enough complaints. Who looks Good?

Most of the Ultimates. Ironman is particularly cool in a manga powerarmor kind of way. Widow looks good in all her non-armored appearances. I like the Twins flair, as long as they don't wear their traditional costume. Though actually, Quicksilver has been appearing in black leathersuit of late (instead of the silver green thing from early on) which doesn't look half bad and Scarlet Wicth looks quite nice without the cloak and headband, as seen in UXM 64. So they have both improved a lot, IMO.

Spider-Man has a "so-silly-it's-cool" riff going on with his costume. It's practical for a brawler/acrobat because nothing is loose on the costume and somehow the flamboyant color works for him. It makes the few time when he is sneaking harder to swallow but it mesh wells with his quirky personality and constant quips.

Cyclops : Nothing flashy but actually looks like a mutant soldier, you know?

Magneto :One of the few character I tolerate a cloak from. Because, if someone is close enough to grab his cloak, he already messed up anyway. I think the cloak and helmet allows the artist some really sinister pose with shadows obscuring most of the feature. Green Goblin, when he's hunched over Peter and raving about circles of life, is very nice/creepy.

Dazzler is cool. That punk riff is great, even though it's terribly unpractical for someone who can expect to get in fights in a regular basis.

Beast was on and off. Depended on the artist, you know. But his appearance on the a cover during the Return of the King arc was great.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back