DC Extended Universe / DC Universe - Timeline

On-Topic: Variety's article is 100% bullshit. lol
I'm only bringing this up because I don't want people coming in here like:
"Oh looky here! Looks like it's no longer canon by official word of mouth. You gotta separate the timelines now-"

And then there's this argument about what's fact and what's not, accusing me of inserting my own bias, yadda-yadda.

"Sources" of "sources" aren't 'official'. End of story.

Anyways, I've thought about this some this month. Now that my mind is less tense and more clear-headed.

I think most of the character arcs in the DCEU are completed. Besides Darkseid (who resides outside of any numbered universe) and Mr Mind's "7 Realms" obsession. Not even counting Lex and Deathstroke, because the new scene they filmed for the Snyder Cut in 2021 was implicitly to resolve that as "it was never going to work out for Slade in the end."

The Mr Mind thing I hope carries over somehow, plus the lingering threat of Darkseid seems far more likely for the distant future of the DCU.

But I'm now open to separating the timelines after Aquaman 2. It's clear to me now that they don't have to build off anything that is reaching or has reached its proper conclusion. And the comics did introduce something that could contribute an idea to how The Flash's ending scene matters as it's own bubble away from the DCU:

The Snyder Films (with Clooney replacing Batfleck in the timeline), Ezra's Flash and Momoa's Aquaman exist on a different, undesignated Earth now via a "4th dimensional swap and switch-em-up"; but Blue Beetle and Peacemaker are now on this new Earth-1 (DCU) born after Flashpoint's undoing.

Last edited:
Anyways, I've thought about this some this month. Now that my mind is less tense and more clear-headed.

I think most of the character arcs in the DCEU are completed. Besides Darkseid (who resides outside of any numbered universe) and Mr Mind's "7 Realms" obsession. Not even counting Lex and Deathstroke, because the new scene they filmed for the Snyder Cut in 2021 was implicitly to resolve that as "it was never going to work out for Slade in the end."

The Mr Mind thing I hope carries over somehow, plus the linger threat of Darkseid seems far more likely for the distant future of the DCU.

But I'm now open to separating the timelines after Aquaman 2. It's clear to me now that they don't have to build off anything that is reaching or has reached its proper conclusion. And the comics did introduce something that could contribute an idea to how The Flash's ending scene matters as it's own bubble away from the DCU:

The Snyder Films (with Clooney replacing Batfleck in the timeline), Ezra's Flash and Momoa's Aquaman exist on a different, undesignated Earth now via a "4th dimensional Earth swapping"; but Blue Beetle and Peacemaker are now on this new Earth-1 born after Flashpoint's undoing.
@Rman Curious to hear your thoughts.

I could see that. It's definitely the best explanation for Blue Beetle and Peacemaker continuing. Knowing Gunn though, I wouldn't be surprised if Peacemaker somehow acknowledges being a different universe.
Gunn confirmed that the 'switcharoo' of continuities will 100% be acknowledged and expanded upon in season two.

Moved Blue Beetle to 2022. Since there's no onscreen year given in the film and James Gunn already stated certain elements of the film might be non-canonical in his DCU. (It's probably not anything too major, but I think Gunn really wants to avoid retcons; which were the DCEU's storytelling excuse.)

It's kinda funny how the only(?) DCEU stuff that is mostly intact in the DCU is stuff that was prominent in the original comics' Earth-4; aka the "Charlton"/DC Earth.

It's kinda funny how the only(?) DCEU stuff that is mostly intact in the DCU is stuff that was prominent in the original comics' Earth-4; aka the "Charlton"/DC Earth.
Most of them feel like they're right up Gunn's wheelhouse so it makes sense.

Last thing I'll say about that is that I hope people give Gunn's DCU a chance.

He's really passionate about these characters and the universe. He, IMO, was probably the best option they could have picked on such short notice for a fresh take on the DC Universe. After the last remaining DCEU films bombing (2 of which - WW84 and TSS - being Pandemic related however), a mostly clean slate should give DC another chance in the minds of the mainstream audience.

He's really passionate about these characters and the universe. He, IMO, was probably the best option they could have picked on such short notice for a fresh take on the DC Universe. After the last remaining DCEU films bombing (2 of which - WW84 and TSS - being Pandemic related however), a mostly clean slate should give DC another chance in the minds of the mainstream audience.
agreed, this is the best thing i think we can ask for other than yet another clean slate reboot and im optimistic for the future

That's my hope for it. Whether you're a fan or not the DCEU became tainted towards the end and a fresh start was the best course of action to get audiences back. I couldn't think of anyone better than Gunn to head it and have complete trust he can right the ship.

Honestly, I have hope that he can pull off giving fans an actual cinematic DC Universe. After all, he gave us the amazing Guardians of the Galaxy trilogy, The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker both rocked and, well, I just feel like I can trust the guy.gunn.jpg

In Josstice League, Mera mentions her parents fought in the wars, whil in Zack Snyder's Justice League, she says they died in the wars. That obviously doesn't work, we see her father in Aquaman. The thing is, her accent is the same in Josstice League and Aquaman, but different in the Snyder Cut. I believe in Film Theories Video connecting Josstice League and Zack Snyder's Justice League in a Timeline, so it would .ake sense if Aquaman took place in the Josstice League Universe, like the Timeline would be:

Knightmare Universe
Steppenwolf Flashback (Justice League) -> Wonder Woman -> Wonder Woman 1984 -> Man of Steel -> (Alternate Batman v Superman Events) -> (Alternate Suicide Squad Events?/Suicide Squad?) -> Justice League -> Aquaman -> Knightmare Future -> Flash timetravel warns Bruce in Earth-1 (Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice)

Earth-1 (DCEU)
Darkseid Flashback (Zack Snyder's Justice League) -> Wonder Woman -> Wonder Woman 1984 -> Man of Steel -> Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice -> Suicide Squad -> Zack Snyder's Justice League -> (Alternate Aquaman Events) -> Rest of DCEU

Latest posts

Back